Process of Care Exam, WREB - dental hygiene

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 71)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

LARDH in Fairbanks, Alaska

40 months ago

Does anyone have any information about the process of care examination that preceeds the WREB? I have my license in California and graduated 2 years ago but I now have to take the WREB to practice outside the state and I'm a little worried about this little test because I haven't been in school for the past 2 years. I heard it was one case study that includes videos and pictures. Are there questions about specific medications or antibiotic prophylaxis or anything specific like that? Any help would be appreciated, I take my test in about a month. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

April in Kingwood, Texas

38 months ago

I took the WREB process of care exam about two months ago and it wasn't bad at all. The time limit is pretty short for how many questions that you have to answer, so don't spend too much time debating, just make your best choice and move on. There are videos at the beginning where you watch a head and neck exam and have to choose the things that they did right or wrong. You have the option of watching each video twice, but don't waste time watching them again if you don't absolutely NEED to. Many of my friends that took the exam watched twice, just to make sure they were correct, and they ended up running out of time to finish. There are quite a few drug questions, but don't worry, for each drug the patient is taking there is a section that tells the side effects and drug interactions. Good luck! I'm sure if you are already a practicing hygienist and you actually take the time to look through your patient's med history then you will do fine! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Oxnard, California

37 months ago

April in Kingwood, Texas said: I took the WREB process of care exam about two months ago and it wasn't bad at all. The time limit is pretty short for how many questions that you have to answer, so don't spend too much time debating, just make your best choice and move on. There are videos at the beginning where you watch a head and neck exam and have to choose the things that they did right or wrong. You have the option of watching each video twice, but don't waste time watching them again if you don't absolutely NEED to. Many of my friends that took the exam watched twice, just to make sure they were correct, and they ended up running out of time to finish. There are quite a few drug questions, but don't worry, for each drug the patient is taking there is a section that tells the side effects and drug interactions. Good luck! I'm sure if you are already a practicing hygienist and you actually take the time to look through your patient's med history then you will do fine! :)

Hi April,
Do you remember how many questions the exam actually was? I just got the packet and it really scares me. I have been out of school for 6 years. Do you remember any questions? I was a practicing hygienist in Florida and I do take my time to look at my patients and their history.I haven't been practicing for one year now trying to get liscienced in california. I am worried about this exam. Is it like a mini national written exam? Did you study for this exam? How can I brush up. I wish I had some material to look at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

heather

36 months ago

Sam in Oxnard, California said: Hi April,
Do you remember how many questions the exam actually was? I just got the packet and it really scares me. I have been out of school for 6 years. Do you remember any questions? I was a practicing hygienist in Florida and I do take my time to look at my patients and their history.I haven't been practicing for one year now trying to get liscienced in california. I am worried about this exam. Is it like a mini national written exam? Did you study for this exam? How can I brush up. I wish I had some material to look at.

57 but each question has mult questions under it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Snoqualmie, Washington

35 months ago

Hi everyone!

I failed my process of care, but passed the clinicals. Has anyone taken the process of care? Can u tell me what your cases were?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

urstrulyhb@aol.com

35 months ago

okay i had to take this nightmare a couple of times. this is what i have learned. sometimes, its better to offer less aids bc you are scored based on right answers. sometimes things are right but not necessary so if you add them you are counted off. know that most likely you are going to have a chronic perio patient bc in order for a pt to aggressive perio, they had to be seen 6 months prior and still deteriorated in progress. they rarely ever give you a healthy pt or a nup patient but in either case those are easy to spot out. ... what kind of questions do you have?
- ive had the osteonecrosis pt
- the mitral valve/hypertension/angina pt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

SFgirl in Whitefish, Montana

35 months ago

Did you use a certain book to study from, like a case study book. I am just out of practice for all that weird "just out of school info" that you think you'll remeber. I found a flash card link from someone at USI that i think is good but i just don't know what else to study. My test is coming up in two weeks! Any advice on what to study would help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

urstrulyhb@aol.com

35 months ago

do you still have the wreb canidate guide? go to the wreb website.. there is a process of care tutorial posted... memorize the tutorial. the best thing to do is know how to navigate the test bc its easy to run out of time. memorize all the aids and what they are used for.. know contraindications for them who you would offer them and not offer them for. make sure you know occlusion, horizontal vs. vertical boneloss. know what conditions require premeds. know your eoio... make sure the hand placement is in the right area bc they try to trick you. i used the perio text book and wilkins to study.. you can email me if you have specific questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Northridge, California

35 months ago

LARDH in Fairbanks, Alaska said: Does anyone have any information about the process of care examination that preceeds the WREB? I have my license in California and graduated 2 years ago but I now have to take the WREB to practice outside the state and I'm a little worried about this little test because I haven't been in school for the past 2 years. I heard it was one case study that includes videos and pictures. Are there questions about specific medications or antibiotic prophylaxis or anything specific like that? Any help would be appreciated, I take my test in about a month. Thanks.

Hi have you taken the exam? do you remember the case you got?
tookrzy4u@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Caro in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Sam in Oxnard, California said: Hi April,

How goes the process??? I'm a Canadian hygienist, now Permanent Resident in Phoenix and preparing for all the exams. I graduated in 1991 and a lot of years have passed! I have to do all the exams again, including NBDHE and clinical WREB, I'm required to redo the Local Anesthetic and Nitrous course starting end of this month.

SFgirl in Whitefish, Montana

34 months ago

I took the test a couple of weeks back and my advice is mainly for people who have been out of school for a while. The test begins with 7 short clips about and intra and extra oral exam. it includes dialogue between the pt and hygienist. mainly just brush up on your anatomy, for that part. THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP is try not to watch the video's twice or you will run out of time in the end. Next study the handbook about all the different references that are available, especially the drug tab has all the pharmacology info like the drug interactions. When it comes to what illnesses your pt will have, don't stress out too much. If you really use pt history and medical history most of the info is there for you, it's just common sense on how you would normally treat that pt. Brush up on your Blood Pressure numbers so you know what is ok and what's too high. If i could have done this test over i would have spent more time learning the program, do the tutorial online a few times even if it seems like a no brainer cause you will be nervous in the test and forget what things the program can do for you. And then study the references so you don't have to waste as much time going back and forth to them during the test. I finished with 2min left but when i talked to the girls at the clinical most of them didn't finish or rushed through the last questions. I would just review the major illnesses on high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, someone said they had a pt with biophosphonate questions. anyway the test wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be but spend a little time studying and you'll be fine.... as for the hygienist from canada the american national is nothing like the canadian. I would highly remcommend a board review class and study your brains out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Enough testing already in Issaquah, Washington

34 months ago

Does anyone know of a review course for Process of Care? Thank you so much for all the feedback and comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Encino, California

33 months ago

Hi Im about to take the process of care in two weeks and I wanted to ask about teh section in the candidate guide where it say select only non-prescription oral hygiene aids that are not already included in the patients current regimen. and it has list of Manual or powertooth brush, oral irrigator, interdental Aids, site specific aids , site specific dental aids, non prescription fluoride mouth rinse, non prescription antibacterial rinsedentifrice or gel, tongue scraper , fluoride dentifrice, salivary substitute and Xylitol. My question is does this mean if there using a fluoride tooth past and rinse and they are flossing would I still pick the things that are benefiting them except the ones that there already using? sorry im really confuse about this test. And also in the end where you have to say what type of Anesthesia should i only pic one, because last time i didn't pass and i picked topical anesthesia and local. I am taking this exam for the second time and Im having a hard time understanding how it goes. can some one help me out or gave me some pointer .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Encino, California

33 months ago

Sam in Snoqualmie, Washington said: Hi everyone!

I failed my process of care, but passed the clinicals. Has anyone taken the process of care? Can u tell me what your cases were?

Hi i was wondering how you ended up doing on your process of care. and if you can gave me any tips, because i failed it too and i have to retake it in two weeks. hope you passed

Sam in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

sumisumzz@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Enough testing already in Issaquah, Washington said: Does anyone know of a review course for Process of Care? Thank you so much for all the feedback and comments.

Hello Enough testing already in Issaquah, WA. I too share your view. Have you discover a review course? I will need to take the Process of Care soon as well. I know the book that the test is in reference, I can't imagine all the info. that i need to refreshed. I've been in practice for over 20+yrs. and am so overwhelmed!!! Please pass along any study materials or course that you may come across. I would be grateful! Good luck to you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Hello Sara in Encino, Sam in Los Angeles and Enough testing already in Issaquah,

I wish i have some tips for you, I have not taken the "Process of Care", it's my next venture. I just completed my WREB Anesthesia. I would love to have any tips any of you may discover. I'm very apprehensive about "Process of Care" Good luck to you all! Please give us your feedback.

With great appreciation,
Seriously over WREB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ADA in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

For whom still looking for the course review for POC exam. HERE IS THE COURSE TO REVIEW: GO TO dhseminar.com. This year review NBE have a part review for POC. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Enough testing already in Redmond, Washington

30 months ago

Thank you, although i was not able to find a POC review class. Should you find please send it my way.

MarleeRDH in Round Rock, Texas

29 months ago

I couldn't find it either...taking the WREB in Dallas in May. I see in CA they have Prep courses - that would be so nice!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HATEPOC in Mckinney, Texas

28 months ago

Hi everyone!
I am taking this test for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. i dont know what else i should study for. anyone taking this test in 2012 yet? i graduated 2011 and im in desperate need to passing this stupid ridiculous test.

Anything helps!!!

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MamaDunne in Vallejo, California

28 months ago

I am taking the POC tomorrow in Sacramento. I will let you all know how it goes and what to expect. ; )

Enough testing already in Kirkland, Washington

28 months ago

Good luck tomorrow! Please let me know. With great appreciation!

28 months ago

PLEASE PLEASE LET US KNOW!!! I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

THANK.

Julia in Midland, Texas

28 months ago

HATEPOC in Mckinney, Texas said: Hi everyone!
I am taking this test for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. i dont know what else i should study for. anyone taking this test in 2012 yet? i graduated 2011 and im in desperate need to passing this stupid ridiculous test.

Anything helps!!!

thanks

hello! I am taking my POC exam this coming Friday and I am not at all sure what to expect. From reading all these previous posts though, I would recommend going over pharm. a little more if that is what you're still uncomfortable with, or any other area for that matter. Perhaps study using your Wilkins textbook over process of care to grab any small details that may be useful to you on test day. I wish I could offer more help! Maybe there are POC sample tests on-line you could find to help you? best regards!

28 months ago

Here are some things to keep in mind: Know your Systemic diseases and syndromes. Know what to premed for. Pay attention to Fluoride (whether they have marked yes/no), patient compliance. You will have to choose a prognosis before and after. All of the information is really right in front of you. Just go with your gut instinct and try not to ponder too much. I had 30 minutes left over. The videos were really easy to understand. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Enough testing already in Kirkland, Washington

28 months ago

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated.

28 months ago

Hi MamaDunne,
thanks for your input. it helps a lot.
1. when you mention fluoride, do you mean what kind of fl we recommend for them during TREATMENT PLANNING?
2. what you mean by pt. compliance?
3. when you say prognosis, are you referring to whether the pt has slt, mode chronic or aggressive, etc, perio?
4. what kind of systemic disease did your pt have? the last 2x i took this stupid test, i had diabetes and osteoporosis. wondering what they have added this year.
if anyone can answer these questions i would greatly appreciate it. i am so tired of studying.

28 months ago

Hello MamDunne,

Your response would be much appreciated to HATEPOC comment.

With appreciation!

28 months ago

Can you guys email me? I'm trying to be careful not to give away specifics on here... ; )

ldunne0623@yahoo.com

POC Review in Pasco, Washington

28 months ago

Hi peeps who are yet to take the POC exam. I would firstly like to say that it is ridiculous that we have to take this test on top of all the other tests we are required to take. WE PASSED AN ACCREDITED DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM!! STOP THE REDUNDANCY!!
That being said (a little venting) I will try to give you all a heads up for your upcoming POC exams. I recently took the exam (last month) and passed with an 86%. I'm sure you've heard it's not hard but it's just really difficult to study for. The packet you will receive in the mail basically will describe the format of the test but doesn't give much in the way of study materials. So this is what I remember:
The first part of the exam consists of several short videos where a hygienist is shown performing an extraoral and intraoral exam. You are suppose to observe and then it asks you if she Palpated or examined certain areas. So be familiar with the name of the different lymph nodes and areas that should be Palpated in an E and I.
The next part is a case study that will be unique to you. Mine was a guy who didn't come in often and had high blood pressure. It lists meds and complaints and so on, so it's good to read through the medical and social histories before you go on to the questions. The questions are pretty straight forward on this part, there are a lot of reference in the back that will cover specifics about the meds and vitals but I would be familiar with the different levels of blood pressure before you get in there to save time because your time goes really fast.
After asking a bunch of questions about the medical and patient history you go on to the next section which o think was the treatment plan section. When you go on to this section I dont think you can go back to the last section. This is where it asks you what recall you would suggest, and reasons for diseases and in what order he should receive treatment and things like that.....

This is part 1, read next post for part 2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

POC Review in Pasco, Washington

28 months ago

The tricky part of this section is that there are several options and you can check as many of the options as you want (example: what would you recommend for the patient-1)fluoride 2)brush more 3) floss more 4) oral hygiene instruction 5) gingivitis education 6) perio disease education etc)
I don't know how you would study for this, it is basically a mixture of everything you learned in hygiene school. If you have practiced before I think it's probably a little easier just because you have more experience treatment planning and processing patient information quickly.
One last tip, hold on to the paper they give you at the end (proof of completion) because one of my friends was told that she never took the exam when she actually did and they paper was able to serve as proof that she took it.
K that's all I remember, good luck! You'll be fine, this is the easiest part.

End of part 2. enjoy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Thank you SO MUCH POC Review in Pasco, Washington. This is most helpful!!!

Sara in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

hi , I am dental hygienist in california , practising for over 6 years,applying for STATE OF Illinois
, still don't know why I should take the regional board exam, WREB. has anyone from california has applied for IL license? please let me know.

Sara in Los Angeles, California

27 months ago

Hi, I am a dental hygienist in califorina, applying for Illionois. I ve been practising for the past 6 years. still don't know why I should take this test!! anyone has similar situation, please let me know! wondering what processes you took! thank you.

exp in Hampton, New Hampshire

27 months ago

Because every state wants money ....no reciprocity...2012 and still this is nonexistent. Rules are individual to each state. If you were in a region ie-New England we have a five state coverage for most...not sure if the cut off is earlier than 6yrs. , but the testing doesn't have to be done (initially) for each state. GL Vet

exp in Hampton, New Hampshire

27 months ago

Because every state wants money ....no reciprocity...2012 and still this is nonexistent. Rules are individual to each state. If you were in a region ie-New England we have a five state coverage for most...not sure if the cut off is earlier than 6yrs. , but the testing doesn't have to be done over I believe for the first 5yrs. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Martina in Turlock, California

27 months ago

Hi, I am also taking this exam for the 3rd time and I am really frustrated. I am missing this exam by 2 points. I have passed the clinical portion and I am having difficulty passing this test. If anyone can help can you please email me at js61fe390@yahoo.com with any tips. I am feeling really disappointed and frustrated with my current situation.

veronica melendez in kirkland, Washington

26 months ago

Hello,
I just took the test. I didn't pass. I only passed the process of care not the clinical portion.Can anybody help me with any tips? I would appreciate it.
Thank you
Veronica

mamadunne in Benicia, California

26 months ago

So sorry to hear that. I also did not pass the clinical portion of Boards. Thank goodness I passes POC and the National board. I keep replaying the million things that went against me that day. Let's just say my patient had 3 extractions done 7 days before WREB and went to the bathroom 4 times! I've already registered for WREB in August. I lost points for calculus only. I'm sure you will do great the next time around ; )

POC Review in Richland, Washington

26 months ago

veronica melendez in kirkland, Washington said: Hello,
I just took the test. I didn't pass. I only passed the process of care not the clinical portion.Can anybody help me with any tips? I would appreciate it.
Thank you
Veronica

Do you know specifically why you didn't pass? Was it the calculus misses or incorrect probing and recession readings? Or was it radiographs or were you docked points for time? Let me know what specifically you missed I'll see what I can help you with.

Martina209 in Turlock, California

25 months ago

I am really sorry to hear that you didn't pass the clinical portion. I did passed the Wreb clinical but I am having trouble passing the POC exam. I know that when I was taking the clinical portion I was a total wreck. You can email me at js61fe390@yahoo.com with specific questions.

Leneisha Coleman in Oceanside, California

24 months ago

Veronica, Congrats on passing your POC, however I was told that you may have to re-take POC if you don't pass your clinicals if it has been passed 12 months so retake clinicals ASAP or retake POC next year :0(. My patient did not qualify my fisrt time taking WREB so I know how you feel.

gigimom in Reno, Nevada

24 months ago

I just took the POC today. I have been freaked out by this test. I have been practicing for 25 + years. I am licensed in New Mexico, Colorado and Idaho I took central and western regionals 20 + years ago, but moved to Nevada who has no reciprocity if more than 5 years. I feel pretty good about the exam. Worried that I finished 40 minutes early. I felt that it was pretty straight forward in the questions. I will not get my results until I take my clinicals in August. Wilkins 10th edition was the biggest help brushing up on info. Still the best resource out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

veronica in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

Hello, I think you did just fine. Don't worry. You probably will know within a few days. I found out my results within four days. I received an email by Wreb.

veronica in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

HI Leneisha,
I actually did pass all my exams. I was confuse with the poc exam results, but thank you. I took my clinical exam on June 2012. Everything went great. Thank God.

gigimom in Reno, Nevada

24 months ago

I just got my results for the POC. I got an 89.42. Thank heavens that part is over. Now just the local anesthesia written this Thursday and clinicals in August.

Amy in San Luis Obispo, California

24 months ago

Anyone have any advice for me on what to do about passing the WREB clinical portion?? I have taken the clinical twice now and have not passed, but passed POC successfully. I graduated from an accredited hygiene school in Canada in 2010 and had to move back to California after my study permit ended....I have not had the opportunity to practice at all since I am not licensed, therefore any hygiene skill I have is completely lacking. I can't be the only one with this dilemma. How do I pass if I can't practice?! So very frustrated. I don't want to take Cal Boards as I hear they are much harder to pass, and if I fail WREB for a third time I have to do mandatory remediation. I'm about to say forget it and walk away from dentistry all together. I've been an RDA forever and I at least have that, but I am afraid I'll never reach my goal.

gigimom in Reno, Nevada

24 months ago

Hi, Amy, Do you know what is hanging you up on clinicals? Actually your calculus removal or radiographs , probing, etc.? Register to take the exam at a different location if you have done the same one twice. I believe examiners rotate to different sites but can not hurt. If you do not own perio files buy or borrow some. I have been practising since 1984 and files are a godsend. Get a fine diamond to finish off with. I have taken 3 different clinicals successfully but it has been 25 + years. I remember my instructors in college drilling us that silly things like improper paperwork could fail you. Read and reread the manual they sent you and pay attention to the little things. I have moved to a state that does not license thru reciprocity so I am taking my first clinicals in 25 years. I am going to do all the things I recommended to you. Take a deep breath and remember you know all of this. You graduated from your program. Hold your head high and have confidence in yourself and abilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Mckinney, Texas

24 months ago

Hi Amy! try to find a community college or university with a Dental Hygiene program and speak to the dean of the program. normally, they are very helpful to assist you in passing. you can ask them to see if they can work with you 30 min a day. i think that will really help you. other things you can do is pay close attention to your paper work before turning in, and most importantly believe in your work because you KNOW ALL OF THIS, its just matter of calming your nerves down. don't give up!!! but i think the best thing is to find the program! good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.