Proffesionalism in Dental Hygiene Schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Student in Baltimore, Maryland

42 months ago

Hi!I am currently a student in a dental hygiene program in Baltimore, Maryland and I am having a very difficult time with the faculty in my school. However, I have really hit my limit with my program's lack of professionalism across the board and wanted to know if this was a common situation for dental hygiene schools.Firstly, there are staff that do not know the first thing about the subject he/she teaches. I do not mean not knowing the answer to a question I mean that they do not know the answers to the questions on their own tests! Secondly, the entire staff in general is extremely negative to each other and to us . They speak disrespectfully about each other us and the other students to anyone and everyone. When I first started I thought I had stepped into a nut house with people who all needed medication but werent getting it. Teachers would literally throw a tantrum if the schedules were messed up and there was an extra student in a class that werent supposed to be there. Thirdly, there is extreme favoritism played to students based on color, race or other factors. This has been told to us by the students before us and is clearly true. Two students can do the same exact thing and one gets severely penalized and the other gets a small reminder. Fourth, the clinical knowledge of the some of the staff is completely incompetent. One of the instructors, specifically, will come over to check a patient and state that calculus was left of tooth 4, 5, and 6. The teacher will leave and for a few minutes the student will pretend to scale while not doing anything. The teacher comes back, feels around and says "yep, everythings gone". Lastly, the grading scale contains no objectivity. What one teacher may fail for another gives an A for. A friend of mine had a patient one semester and received an A for the paperwork the same pt. came the next semester and she barely passed the paperwork because she was graded by someone else. Does anyone else have this experience?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

SamanthaL in Burnaby, British Columbia

42 months ago

Are you going to a private school or a public school. I find that public school instructors are alot more competent since there's a vigorous selection process. If you are really bothered by this, bring it up to the director of your program in person, or anonymously. Look on the bright side, the hygiene program is super short compared to other professional programs. You will be out in no time! Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

SamanthaL in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Are you going to a private school or a public school. I find that public school instructors are alot more competent since there's a vigorous selection process. If you are really bothered by this, bring it up to the director of your program in person, or anonymously. Look on the bright side, the hygiene program is super short compared to other professional programs. You will be out in no time! Hang in there!

thanks!! I am trying to hang in there and I only can bec. its not too long I dont want to get specific about the school bec. wanna remain anonymous. cant bring it up with the head of the program he/she is also part of the problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

San DiegoRDH in San Diego, California

42 months ago

Student in Baltimore, Maryland said: thanks!! I am trying to hang in there and I only can bec. its not too long I dont want to get specific about the school bec. wanna remain anonymous. cant bring it up with the head of the program he/she is also part of the problem!

We have the same problem!!! Southwestern College, National City students suffer the same thing!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

so what did u do? how did u deal with it?

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

42 months ago

Be careful or you'll be signaled out for everything they can dream up! They can even blackball you after graduation. The dental community reaches far and wide and the powers that be can control your future. I think you are in a situation that has no answers. You may bring up something in front of the entire class ie "this was told to us differently by so and so, could I please get clarification" but to go out on a limb and try to address your issues privately could be disastrous. You do have rights because they accepted your tuition, but tread lightly and try to have witnesses anytime you speak with an advisor or instructor. Let us know what unfolds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

42 months ago

Hi Student, This is nothing new. In fact, I'm sure what you are dealing with has happened to many and unfortunately you just have to deal with these inept instructors, hold your tongue while in the program and graduate...then maybe later you can bring it to the attention of the Board in your state (hopefully, aynonyomously (sp) ). Also, when you are out in the real world, be aware of those around you...the real world is so different in treatment of the RDH as opposed to being a student, but there are a few that do the hierachy stand ( "I'm the head RDH..."), so just be professional, try to stay positive and treat those as you wish to be treated...some actually change their attitude...some not. GL ...you are almost there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Be careful or you'll be signaled out for everything they can dream up! They can even blackball you after graduation. The dental community reaches far and wide and the powers that be can control your future. I think you are in a situation that has no answers. You may bring up something in front of the entire class ie "this was told to us differently by so and so, could I please get clarification" but to go out on a limb and try to address your issues privately could be disastrous. You do have rights because they accepted your tuition, but tread lightly and try to have witnesses anytime you speak with an advisor or instructor. Let us know what unfolds.

Being black balled is a REAL possibility...only approach it aynon....because it's almost like bullying...watch what you say and always have witnesses...better yet to keep your thoughts on your situation only among true friends...there's always those who will make it uncomfortable so be above them and think positive and forward with your degree. School is SO different from the real world, unless you have the ....employer, but most don't pick at you, but again there are those who nit pick....don't go with those offices if you can help it! GL Hi to S from EXP Had some work yesterday...but afternoon pooped out...but nice office, I'm appreciated...wish she needed me on a regular basis....picked up some more days toward the end of this month too...yippy! Have a good day S. :-)!

42 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Be careful or you'll be signaled out for everything they can dream up! They can even blackball you after graduation. The dental community reaches far and wide and the powers that be can control your future. I think you are in a situation that has no answers. You may bring up something in front of the entire class ie "this was told to us differently by so and so, could I please get clarification" but to go out on a limb and try to address your issues privately could be disastrous. You do have rights because they accepted your tuition, but tread lightly and try to have witnesses anytime you speak with an advisor or instructor. Let us know what unfolds.

Being black balled is a REAL possibility...only approach it aynon....because it's almost like bullying...watch what you say and always have witnesses...better yet to keep your thoughts on your situation only among true friends...there's always those who will make it uncomfortable so be above them and think positive and forward with your degree. School is SO different from the real world, unless you have the ....employer, but most don't pick at you, but again there are those who nit pick....don't go with those offices if you can help it! GL Hi to S from EXP Had some work yesterday...but afternoon pooped out...but nice office, I'm appreciated...wish she needed me on a regular basis....picked up some more days toward the end of this month too...yippy! Have a good day S. :-)!

42 months ago

thanks for your advice I am almost at the end and plan to stick it out but heres my question how does being black balled work? do dentists call the school to find out about you and the instructors speak poorly about you? doesnt that look poorly for them? If i complain higher up within the college what do you think the odds are of it remaining anonymous?

42 months ago

thanks suzanne for your heads up I'll definitely try to have someone else witness it unfortunately you cant even say something in front of the class along the lines of "I thought so and so mentioned that..." because it puts them on the spot and they become extremely antagonistic

42 months ago

Student in Baltimore, Maryland said: thanks for your advice I am almost at the end and plan to stick it out but heres my question how does being black balled work? do dentists call the school to find out about you and the instructors speak poorly about you? doesnt that look poorly for them? If i complain higher up within the college what do you think the odds are of it remaining anonymous?

Hi, You may never know how it (blkblng) exactly works, so be aware of your responses in mixed company. If you really want to speak to someone or mail information as to the attitudes of instructors, material taught, etc...I would not sign my name or send it from where I live or live near...sometimes you just have to let it pass...I know, it burns, but think of your career...stick with the aynon. approach....AFTER, if you do it, after grad and licensed...sometimes they talk at study groups, etc...sources of blackballing? many possibilities in the tech era...GL on finishing school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Student in Baltimore, Maryland said: thanks for your advice I am almost at the end and plan to stick it out but heres my question how does being black balled work? do dentists call the school to find out about you and the instructors speak poorly about you? doesnt that look poorly for them? If i complain higher up within the college what do you think the odds are of it remaining anonymous?

Hi, You may never know how it (blkblng) exactly works, so be aware of your responses in mixed company. If you really want to speak to someone or mail information as to the attitudes of instructors, material taught, etc...I would not sign my name or send it from where I live or live near...sometimes you just have to let it pass...I know, it burns, but think of your career...stick with the aynon. approach....AFTER, if you do it, after grad and licensed...sometimes they talk at study groups, etc...sources of blackballing? many possibilities in the tech era...GL on finishing school!

happy flosser2 in Calgary, Alberta

42 months ago

Student in Baltimore, Maryland said: thanks!! I am trying to hang in there and I only can bec. its not too long I dont want to get specific about the school bec. wanna remain anonymous. cant bring it up with the head of the program he/she is also part of the problem!

It sounds as if this is a school that you paid to get into and not a school that selects students with high academic standings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

student in Baltimore, Maryland

42 months ago

as I commented before I dont want to share too many details however your assumption is incorrect academic standing was the main criteria for being accepted. It is a competitive school that takes a fraction of the students who apply.

San DiegoRDH in San Diego, California

42 months ago

Student in Baltimore, Maryland said: so what did u do? how did u deal with it?

Just zip your mouth. DO NOT discuss your issues with classmates, believe me, it will backfire. Talk to non DH friends to vent,You just need to finish your DH degree to get out of "hell",think about it.

StaceyinDetroit in Detroit, Michigan

42 months ago

wow when I was in hygiene school this one teacher hated me so much I think it was because of my ethnicity but I don't know she was always so rude to me or maybe because I didn't kiss her ass. If you want to be teacher's pet then you have to suck up like the other girls in my class.

New Student in Placentia, California

36 months ago

San DiegoRDH in San Diego, California said: We have the same problem!!! Southwestern College, National City students suffer the same thing!!

I know this is an old thread but thought I might inquire. I've been accepted to Southwestern this fall but am having reservations for various reasons. Is it bad @ SWCC?

RDHCJ in Connecticut

26 months ago

I graduated from a hygiene school in Massachusetts back in 2008 and no your experience was not my experience. I attended a public community college and all the professors were professional and well versed in the subject of dental hygiene. All the professors have a masters degree before they were allowed to teach lecture classes in my college. Some of the clinical professors were part time and had to have a masters OR be working on a masters to teach in the clinic. All professors I had WERE licensed Mass dental hygienists. Maybe go to a different college or just push through if you are almost done.

RDHCJ in Connecticut

26 months ago

I want to add that there can be some stricter professors in clinical than others, in my experience. What I learned to do was figure out what each professor expected of me and then I got used to their teaching style and did it the way they wanted me to. In clinical there can be slightly different opinions. Such as a professor taught me to grab a 13/14 to scale the lingual area of the lower anteriors if I missed any calculus there. I was glad she showed me you can use another instrument not designed for that area to help yourself get every little bit of calculus. Every school is going to have professors that have a different opinion in clinical, you just have to roll with the punches. But all my professors were professional. I guess it depends on the college you attend.

Hygiene Student in Marietta, Georgia

1 month ago

I know this thread is really old… but I am having very similar issues. I got the Hinman scholarship last semester for my high GPA. This semester, I swear one of my teachers is out to make me fail. Every week she makes at least 1 girl cry in our class. She is rude and disrespectful. We have all gone to the program director twice about it (as did the previous TWO classes before us) yet they do nothing except talk to her, and then she gets mad at us for "going behind her back". Teachers should be encouraging, not discouraging… I don't care what field they teach.

exp in Massachusetts

1 month ago

Hyg in M. Georgia...I wonder if you can go beyond the school's director , maybe to the State's RDH and or Dental Association...or board of the school and aynon....submit a letter that would have them come down to the clinic and observe...or maybe be a pt. in the chair of this instructor to "observe" that Clinic teacher...this happens everywhere...and I do mean everywhere...it's disgusting that the Director of the school is not doing anything or ckng in on this professor, but again... is she good friends with this person? THEY DON'T care about you...just your money. Bullying is still there, unfortunately for good students. You have to just get by...and cont. if DH is what you really want. It's a mind game and they are in the driver's seat. Very childish on instructors part...wonder if you could get an undercover video of her in action and submit to the State...? again aynon. if that is at all possible. GL on finishing with this school. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennm30 in Annapolis, Maryland

12 days ago

Hi Baltimore-

*I BEGAN HYGIENE SCHOOL AT THE SAME SCHOOL YOU WERE WRITING ABOUT*

You don't even have to mention the name! You may have even been in my class. I was supposed to complete their program in 2011. I know you posted this awhile ago, but if you ever want to vent, let me know.

I hope you were able to graduate.
I was not.
I was given a D in 3rd semester clinic & dismissed. That same semester, 8 other girls in my class were dismissed. To say the least, there's not only favoritism, but the director of the program was also manipulating grades, using 3 different grading systems in order to fix who got to stay and who was dismissed. I had never seen such blatant evidence of corruption (along with the ENORMOUS attitude issues), and decided I would not re-apply to that school. I would sooner have shot myself in the face.
In addition, during my time there, just like you, I was failed on projects I worked hard on, while classmates assembling theirs during class received far better grades. I was denied make up clinics, even when I had been sent home by a clinic instructor due to illness and returned with a doctors' note. And my favorite- I was accused of academic dishonesty because I charted my mother's restorations before we were in clinic.

To make a long story short, I ended up transferring to a school down south, & it was a wonderful experience. It was still very hard work, & I know I was lucky. It wasn't the living hell that Baltimore was, thank god. I didn't feel like I was crazy all the time the way that I did when I was dealing with those women. My new teachers were wonderful people, and great at teaching, both clinical and classroom. CRAZY, RIGHT?

My GPA at Baltimore was under a 2.0 when I was dismissed. I graduated from the school down south with Magnum Cum Laude honors. I passed all of my boards the first time I took them, and got a 100% on my clinical board exam. CLEARLY, Baltimore was doing something wrong, not me!

Jennm30 in Maryland

12 days ago

The school in Maryland that the girls above are talking about is CCBC Dundalk.

Anyone thinking about going there should be warned

exp in Massachusetts

11 days ago

This is very sad, but it continues....if you do want to be an RDH, good luck in pursuing this field...but be warned it is a job that is very precarious now and since 2007...throughout the USA and they cont. to open up more programs, very expensive programs! I am a VET and rem. instructors like this...either you roll with it or you do as some others have and go to another school. It's very catish and unprofessional...but they cont. to get away with these shenanigans. In today's situations though you have camera phones ...so, if it gets to push and shove I would suggest having witness to conversations and videotaping if they are verbally abusing their position. DA is a better rte. for employment that is consistent as well as benefits...it's a needle in a haystack finding that good employer that gives you benefits and consistent pay, not cutting back on your hours, days, etc...but they can now because our field is forever oversaturated. Don't believe the online articles and schools info...= business, you pay them and hopefully graduate, then you are on your own in a very large pool of RDH's.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.