RDH in Houston, TX ONLY! Please comment.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

TexasRDHs in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

I've read a lot of posts from RDH all over the country.

I notice a lot of people complaining in CA and Michigan, etc - and no offense but your in the worst state economies in the country.

However, I'm in TX. I'm looking for comments from RDH in Houston, Katy, Woodlands, etc.

How is work?

Are you able to grab jobs?

I talked to my current RDH and she is, she can find work anywhere, she told me she gets paid no less than $35 and hour and temps for several offices.

I tell her whats on these boards, and she doesn't believe it.

She even worked in the virgin isles, etc - and said she never had a prob finding a job.

She told me when she moved to TX, she just basically put on the heels and passed out resumes and found work and she gets temp work from websites.

Any one from Houston TX area, who is a RDH, please let me know what's going on in the job market.

I have potential to get into a RDH program and considering it.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Livinginkaty in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

Being a dental hygienist sounds like a wonderful idea, but there are some facts that you should know before making your decision. I graduated from a two year program in Minnesota. Most of my bosses loves me, but they don't want to hire me as a full time. Here in Texas, most dentists want one or two part-time hygienists in order to avoid paying full benefits. If you are lucky to get a full time position, do not dream about full benefits. It basicaly means that you are going to get a few paid holidays and some dental benefits for you and your family, but that's it. Now, remember that Texas is a state "at will". That means that they can fire you at any moment without a reason (and they will!). About The hygienist who told you that she finds temp. jobs all the time, let me tell you something: being a temp. hygienist is horrible! I work as a temp because I don't have a choice. The market is very saturated of dental hygienist in the big cities right now. And a lot of offices are closing because of the economy. I never had a problem getting a job in Minnesota, but here in Houston is very different. But I can give you one advise if may I: Get a four year degree instead of a two year degree, because it will give you more power if you decide to teach in a dental school in the future or work for the government (both of these provide full benefits). Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

carla2 in santa fe, Texas

29 months ago

TexasRDHs in Houston, Texas said: I've read a lot of posts from RDH all over the country.

I notice a lot of people complaining in CA and Michigan, etc - and no offense but your in the worst state economies in the country.

However, I'm in TX. I'm looking for comments from RDH in Houston, Katy, Woodlands, etc.

How is work?

Are you able to grab jobs?

I talked to my current RDH and she is, she can find work anywhere, she told me she gets paid no less than $35 and hour and temps for several offices.

I tell her whats on these boards, and she doesn't believe it.

She even worked in the virgin isles, etc - and said she never had a prob finding a job.

She told me when she moved to TX, she just basically put on the heels and passed out resumes and found work and she gets temp work from websites.

Any one from Houston TX area, who is a RDH, please let me know what's going on in the job market.

I have potential to get into a RDH program and considering it.

Thanks!

I have been doing this for 20 years and it is bad. If you haven't wasted your time and money yet please don't. My dentist only wants me making money for him and his kids, and it's never enough. Go for nursing or something where you can work in a hospital and have something to show fr your years of labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobless rdh in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

Go be a nurse!!!! I came from Michigan where I had no issue at all getting a job moved to Texas and can't get an interview. The hygiene market is saturated!!! SATURATED!!! It's sad... I had a dentist tell me that he once got 93 resumes for a hygiene position he posted and the truth is the day after graduation we can all do the same thing. He said he closed his eyes picked 10 resumes interviewed those 10 than picked by having his kid (a baby) just pull it from his hands. He told me that they were all qualified and could all do the same thing and all had great personalities so it didn't matter which one he picked. The girl is still with him after 5 years so go figure. I got into this because I love the profession. I have numerous dental family members and worked for them over the years but I think that most get into because they hear that hourly pay and they jump! It's ridiculous... Trust me! Most dentist only want to hire part time hygienist to work one maybe two days a week so you will find yourself gong to three or four ( or five) offices a week just to make a full check. Temping is horrible as well. First you have to search for everything all day and pts just like to see their regular hygienist and that's the truth. Also if you temp you can't take a job in that office for a year or more sometimes with telling the agency and they the office doesn't like paying placement fees so that throws your name from the pile. I created an account just so I could respond to your question. Hindsight is 20/20. I see hospitals on every corner= nursing jobs. If all else fails Texas still employs nurses in schools and I see new school being built left and right because of all the homes being built= nursing jobs! Get the picture!? I would trade this RDH for RN any day plus nurses are more respected by the public! Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leona2025 in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

I am about to sign up for DH, is the market still like this???!!! I was deciding between nuclear medicine tech, admin service mgt, and DH. Please give me answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

14 months ago

Leona...not DH....if you have anymore questions, I think the numerous threads telling you what's happening now and for the past 8 yrs. and into the future says what's loud and clear. It's not a good choice if you want to make a living, have work, benefits, steady employment, be able to payback loans, save for your future....nuclear medicine tech, DA, Nurse....those will afford you a career and most likely benefits, which elude the majority of RDH's. Vet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Leona...not DH....if you have anymore questions, I think the numerous threads telling you what's happening now and for the past 8 yrs. and into the future says what's loud and clear. It's not a good choice if you want to make a living, have work, benefits, steady employment, be able to payback loans, save for your future....nuclear medicine tech, DA, Nurse....those will afford you a career and most likely benefits, which elude the majority of RDH's. Vet

I'm from Houston and no it is not getting better. They are letting assistants do prophys for less to unsuspecting patients. They do not go under the gumline but dentist can pay them less so they hire them. Also too many low level hygiene schools turning out hygienist that will work for less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leona2025 in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

I do see a lot of people saying there are no positions available. So I have decided, before I enter into the field, to go to some offices myself and check things out. I when to at least 10 offices in the last two days. At the very first office I went to the young lady said it is a little over saturated. She also said you could get jobs but you have to "be a hustler" to get them. Well I don't think I would like having to do that. If I was already a DH, then yes I would in order to feed my family. But I also feel that your degree and experience should speak for itself! So I don't want to hustle to get a job. That dental office was in Jersey Village. So today I ventured to the Kingwood area. Pretty much every place I went to said they didn't know anything about the market being over saturated! They ALL recommend doing DH. Even one of the instructors at the campus (Lone Star Kingwood)said that all of her graduates that wanted to work have positions! I just don't know what to do or who to believe. I'm praying on the situation and waiting on a confirmation. One other thing! Some of the people that I spoke with said that you being hired also has a lot to do with whether you attend a trade school or not. They said that the over saturated part is for people who are trying to work in little clinics. Does anyone know anything about this?

SMHoustonTX87 in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

I'm the original poster of this question -- and I can't believe it's been 2 whole entire years.

I personally decided to NOT go into a RDH program. I still live on the out skirts of Houston. I contacted RDH associations in Houston and Austin and was told it's hard to find jobs. I did enough reading on Indeed which also made me hesitant. I also searched jobs for Craigslist in Houston, College Station, etc--to see how many would pop up. I searched Indeed.

I read that the dentists have their pick to choose from 100's of candidates per job post. My temp job is hiring for a translation agency, they hire PER project and I know what it is to cast out 1 job and get over 100 applicants, so I can believe it. The economy is tough PEOPLE WANT to work.

I don't know your situation, your age, are you living with parents, do you have the time to try new careers, etc.

I just didn't have the time to invest into something that might not work out (I was mid 20's then/I financially support myself-I have no one to depend on if bills don't get paid). I'm sure you can apply for FAFSA and get aid to pay for your classes. If you just accept the grants, you won't have to take out the loans.

Do you already have your requirements done to apply for RDH school? You can always start taking those or and see what other programs you can use the reqs to apply too and see what programs you get into and apply to multiple, and see if you even get accepted into RDH.

My choice was either RDH school or continuing on working on my bachelors in another field. I chose the latter.

My dentist office ALWAYS had "TEMP" RDHs. One thing I noticed on my last 2 visits..NO MORE RDHs IN THE OFFICE. The dentist now does it himself...so now it's apparent they're cutting back on costs..and first to go was the RDH!

P.S. I don't think the RDH director would maliciously lead you into something that would not work out BUT do remember getting those seats filled puts food on her table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

SMHoustonTX87 in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

And the other thing that really made me not pursue it is how unethical some of the docs act with the RDHs.

I've been told that even if they schedule you for the full day, if there is no appts they want to send you home, or not pay you for the "down hours." If people miss their appointments they don't want to pay you.

How is anyone suppose to survive like that?

I think the problem is with the dentists, most of the doctors I've seen (even the one I go to) is not from U.S. They come from parts of the world where they were treated unfairly, they had tough, hard life, so when they get here, they become merciless. They feel you had everything here, etc -- so why should they "help" you out is their mind set.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Ya, the instructor is going to say that to keep unknowing students paying the high tuition so she can keep her job. If people find out that hygiene jobs are hard to come by they won't go to her school and then she will be out trying to get a job in this crap market. I would not work for a dentist that sent me home when it was slow. When we are doing 1200.00 rps I notice they don't mind if we are there. But when it's slow they want to send us home? They will do whatever to pay us as little as they can for the most profit. We had to pay for school and take four years out of our lives to learn to work for them for next to nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

PAF in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

Here is 2 cents from the "other side of the fence". Finding a hygienist that "fits the bill" is one of the most difficult tasks for a dental office -- for various reasons. One of them is that most of the interviewees want provider earnings and corporate benefits and a 9-5 schedule. Reality is, hygienist is a lot like a dentist -- a provider of services. As a provider no work = no pay so to expect compensation when there is no work performed does not fit well in a small business model like a dental office. Expecting high hourly rate, vacation time, benefits when generated revenue when the average generated revenue is around $100 per hour with more than half going to the overhead is unrealistic - you can thank our economy for that. But don't fret - same pressures apply to dentists, assistants, front desk it just comes with the territory.

If you think RDH is not a good career - I disagree. It's been actually named as one if top 10 jobs of 2014 for a reason. You are not at the mercy of soul-less large corporations and you certainly have good earning potential If you're ambitious, great with people and take pride in your work, you will earn 40 and upwards per hour, just don't expect benefits and realize that in order to earn your keep you have to pull your weight, after all dentistry is nothing but a business at the end of the day, just like medical offices, hospitals, veterinarians, etc. And yes, at this time (2014), I am confident to say that Houston is still a job seeker's market when it comes to hygienists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Most dentist are making a hefty profit off of their hygienist. One RP&S a day and he has already doubled what he pays the hygienist even at 40 dollars an hour and I believe most do not make that. The rest of the day is his profit from the hygienist of course minus his overhead most of which he would have even if he didn't have a hygienist such as front desk people and lab fees. Let's not forget the work a dentist gets from the hygiene room. A friend of mine just graduated nursing and makes $450.00 a day and of course all sorts of benefits and she doesn't have to worry if she met her quota for the day, just does her job. This is a career that after you do your years of work it pays off with a retirement and insurance, unlike hygiene and after years of service your just on S.S. and broke down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

11 months ago

PAF in Houston, Texas said: Here is 2 cents from the "other side of the fence". Finding a hygienist that "fits the bill" is one of the most difficult tasks for a dental office -- for various reasons. One of them is that most of the interviewees want provider earnings and corporate benefits and a 9-5 schedule. Reality is, hygienist is a lot like a dentist -- a provider of services. As a provider no work = no pay so to expect compensation when there is no work performed does not fit well in a small business model like a dental office. Expecting high hourly rate, vacation time, benefits when generated revenue when the average generated revenue is around $100 per hour with more than half going to the overhead is unrealistic - you can thank our economy for that. But don't fret - same pressures apply to dentists, assistants, front desk it just comes with the territory.

If you think RDH is not a good career - I disagree. It's been actually named as one if top 10 jobs of 2014 for a reason. You are not at the mercy of soul-less large corporations and you certainly have good earning potential If you're ambitious, great with people and take pride in your work, you will earn 40 and upwards per hour, just don't expect benefits and realize that in order to earn your keep you have to pull your weight, after all dentistry is nothing but a business at the end of the day, just like medical offices, hospitals, veterinarians, etc. And yes, at this time (2014), I am confident to say that Houston is still a job seeker's market when it comes to hygienists.

Your talking from a non clinical prospective.Top Ten jobs is a farce as is the labor and statistics. Recruiters, salesmen and even accountants talk your talk. Hygienist are not just a commodity to "flip the bill." That is tacky. Hygienist are truly having a hard time finding a reputable office to work in. It's actually an employers market. And Texas is an "at will"state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

11 months ago

Cont~ Dentist shouldn't hire a hygienist thinking we solely carry the practice. Restorative should carry the majority of the buisness financially. It's a big red flag when I see this. It tells me the practice is most probably unethical,high turn over, and is overstaffed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

leona2025 in Houston, Texas said: I do see a lot of people saying there are no positions available. So I have decided, before I enter into the field, to go to some offices myself and check things out. I when to at least 10 offices in the last two days. At the very first office I went to the young lady said it is a little over saturated. She also said you could get jobs but you have to "be a hustler" to get them. Well I don't think I would like having to do that. If I was already a DH, then yes I would in order to feed my family. But I also feel that your degree and experience should speak for itself! So I don't want to hustle to get a job. That dental office was in Jersey Village. So today I ventured to the Kingwood area. Pretty much every place I went to said they didn't know anything about the market being over saturated! They ALL recommend doing DH. Even one of the instructors at the campus (Lone Star Kingwood)said that all of her graduates that wanted to work have positions! I just don't know what to do or who to believe. I'm praying on the situation and waiting on a confirmation. One other thing! Some of the people that I spoke with said that you being hired also has a lot to do with whether you attend a trade school or not. They said that the over saturated part is for people who are trying to work in little clinics. Does anyone know anything about this?

I know these junior colleges advertise the heck out of how great it is to become a hygienist. They are not going to tell you otherwise because they want to keep students enrolling. Just show them the money and your are in. I attended a major university and you had to have a high gpa to even be considered with over 40 hours of prerequisites. One dentist that I applied for said he had at least 80 applications for the same rdh job. I live near Houston.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

still retired in Hawaii said: Cont~ Dentist shouldn't hire a hygienist thinking we solely carry the practice. Restorative should carry the majority of the buisness financially. It's a big red flag when I see this. It tells me the practice is most probably unethical,high turn over, and is overstaffed.

A dentist that I worked for told me that he was told in school that hygienist should carry the entire overhead and what he makes should be his profit. He just wants to keep raising prices on prophys and charging for add ons to do this and keeps hygienist salary the same with no raises for years.

exp in Massachusetts

11 months ago

PAF....what you say is not the truth for many in the field looking for work...the schools will tell you it's a great field to be in...they want to keep their job and benefits, online articles and school info. and BLS/GOVT sites....some are not in the field...given copy to post...they DON'T KNOW about our field...it is not in the top 10, big falicy...LIE.
How often are those jobs posted in your state? Do they say pretty much the same ad each time they are replacing someone (possibly behind their backs, OR...so they pay you hourly and then replace you)? Big reality in the DH field now. If a DH has an opening and they are unable to fill that time slot...some are being asked to clock out, but this is not the same for the DA's now is it? They get the benefits and job security. Online and schools... FALSE INFO. and sadly, many are dupped by that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Hawaii

11 months ago

carla2 in santa fe, Texas said: A dentist that I worked for told me that he was told in school that hygienist should carry the entire overhead and what he makes should be his profit. He just wants to keep raising prices on prophys and charging for add ons to do this and keeps hygienist salary the same with no raises for years.

It's definitely about the money with schools, finance institutions and dental practices.I recently read a disclaimer from a hygiene program basically saying this is a part time career. People are still enrolling. Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.