Restorative Hygienist Ontario Salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

ML in Toronto, Ontario

61 months ago

I will be graduating from a restorative Hygiene program this spring and am wondering what the average salary is in Ontario, Canada. I understand some hygienists are payed hourly and some commission on top of their hourly rate for fillings. Any info would be appreciated before I have to answer the expected salary question in an interview! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in Calgary, Alberta

61 months ago

I have heard $70/hour from other restorative hygienists working in Toronto.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

sila in Toronto, Ontario

60 months ago

What would you say about the course? How did you find it?
and do you think restorative hygienists are able to find work easily in Toronto?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

tmorris in Oshawa, Ontario

55 months ago

ML in Toronto, Ontario said: I will be graduating from a restorative Hygiene program this spring and am wondering what the average salary is in Ontario, Canada. I understand some hygienists are payed hourly and some commission on top of their hourly rate for fillings. Any info would be appreciated before I have to answer the expected salary question in an interview! Thanks

It really depends on where you are working and how long youhave been. Usually when you are starting you receive 2 - $5 on average more than a regular dental hygienist. Some offices are willing to pay more. If you are more experienced you could be getting upwards of $10 - $30 / hr more than a traditional dental hygienist.

You can also keep in contact with the Ontario Restorative Dental Hygienists Study Club for more information. ontariorestorativedhstudyclub.angelfire.com/

Terri Strawn RRDH BDScDH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KatRDH in Toronto in Toronto, Ontario

53 months ago

Is it worth going into restorative hygiene in Toronto right now, considring how the market is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

LongTimeRRDH in Toronto, Ontario

24 months ago

Restorative Dental Hygiene is a great choice to set you apart after you have graduated as one of thousands from Dental Hygiene. Dental Hygienists have flooded the market right now so this additional qualification sets you apart from the crowd. One huge caveat:Not all schools are created equal!!! George Brown in Toronto is, in my opinion, the best program for giving relevant information and hundreds of hours of hands on instruction. I have seen students graduate from other programs but George Brown grads have impressed me every time.
As for the SALARY/WAGE issue.. You will find a huge difference depending upon a number of factors. If your dentist can emply your skills (if he or she is prepared to trust his/ her clients to your care for restorative), you should be well compensated. I and my colleagues have discussed wages at length...and they range from (at the extreme upper end) $250k per year ( a Toronto employed RRDH who does all the Cerac/C&B in the office and bills a lot of money in the practice) down to a low of $60/hr. Much of this depends on how long you have been in practice, your skills, speed and the level of trust and acceptance you have earned from the clients in the practice. If you have worked as a hygienist at a practice for a good length of time and have earned the trust and acceptance of your clients, you are in a much better position to do well as a RRDH in that same practice. I personally am paid $100 per hour (full time extremely busy practice) but no paid continuing education, uniform allowance, benefits or other perks. I get an annual cost of living raise but I have seen my colleagues' wages stay stagnant despite the fact that the ODA fees rise slightly every year. Starting wages will be as suggested above.I have been with the same practice for over 27 years- the last 18 doing Restrative so I know the clients there better than the current dentist does. New grads should expect a trial period where their work is scrutinized by the DDS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Toronto, Ontario

3 months ago

Hi

What is your opinion in going into restorative program at this time? What are job options like in Toronto?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.