Scaling & Arestin - 3mm, 4mm, 5mm & 6mm -- Please help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Ashley in Reading, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

I was supposed to go to the dentist back in January for a level 2 cleaning. I had to cancel it because I lost my job and didn't have the money. I got caught up with school over the spring and didn't get to reschedule until June. They couldn't get me in til the end of July. Well when I got there, they told me that they couldn't do a level 2 cleaning and that I needed a scaling done because my teeth have gotten worse. So what was supposed to cost me 750ish bucks (the level 2 cleaning and 3 cavities) is now costing me 3,600 dollars!!! That just sounds outrageous! $3,371 of it is for the scaling, Arestin, and checkup alone! I just can't figure out the math in why this is so expensive! My insurance says that if they are doing scaling on 4 or more teeth in a quadrant it's 99 dollars. So even if they did all four quadrants, it would be about 400 bucks and the Arestin then costs the other $2,800??? This just doesn't make any sense to me. They told me they would "help me out" and they could just do the 5 & 6mm pockets and that the 3 & 4s may heal themselves... but it still makes it cost 2,300 bucks! I just don't understand it. Does this sound like too much? I think it does. And am I able to say I don't want the Arestin? Or should I just find a different dentist?

My teeth definitely need a cleaning because it's been so long and they only occasionally bleed when I floss. But other than that they haven't been bothering me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

joolee75 in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

You definitely need to find another dental office. I have never heard of a "level 2" cleaning. Scaling and root planing, maybe, but not level 2. Arestin should be around $36 per pocket. They should be doing scaling and root planing first, then apply Arestin to pockets that don't improve. Arestin should only be used on anything 5mm or deeper, anyway. They are taking you for a very expensive ride. Find another office. If you reply and want to contact me, I can try to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

40 months ago

Ashley in Reading, Pennsylvania said: I was supposed to go to the dentist back in January for a level 2 cleaning. I had to cancel it because I lost my job and didn't have the money. I got caught up with school over the spring and didn't get to reschedule until June. They couldn't get me in til the end of July. Well when I got there, they told me that they couldn't do a level 2 cleaning and that I needed a scaling done because my teeth have gotten worse. So what was supposed to cost me 750ish bucks (the level 2 cleaning and 3 cavities) is now costing me 3,600 dollars!!! That just sounds outrageous! $3,371 of it is for the scaling, Arestin, and checkup alone! I just can't figure out the math in why this is so expensive! My insurance says that if they are doing scaling on 4 or more teeth in a quadrant it's 99 dollars. So even if they did all four quadrants, it would be about 400 bucks and the Arestin then costs the other $2,800??? This just doesn't make any sense to me. They told me they would "help me out" and they could just do the 5 & 6mm pockets and that the 3 & 4s may heal themselves... but it still makes it cost 2,300 bucks! I just don't understand it. Does this sound like too much? I think it does. And am I able to say I don't want the Arestin? Or should I just find a different dentist?

My teeth definitely need a cleaning because it's been so long and they only occasionally bleed when I floss. But other than that they haven't been bothering me.

See if there is a DH program/school in your area...you are a guneia pig and it's time consuming, but the cost of quad scalings if necessary are alot cheaper...google now to see who can see you. You will probably need to go in 2-4tx's for full mouth series if needed , charting and the actual scaling(s) if needed. Is this office a MILL? If so and you went in to think the cleaning (prophy) would save you, sometimes it doesn't work out that way for patients...GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Blake in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

I am being charged in excess of $100 dollars a tooth for arestin. I said no. It was going to be 3500 out of pocket, just for arestin.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.