Should I become a Dental Hygienists?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Jamie in Burnsville, Minnesota

53 months ago

Hey people! I am 25 years old and I have a young child. I'm trying to figure out a career I would enjoy, but also one that I don't have to be in school forever. I've been researching a few careers and dental hygienists seem to make very good money. IS THIS A CAREER YOU WOULD RECOMMEND? I've been reading a lot of the comments and they don't sound very good!

Thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

53 months ago

Jamie in Burnsville, Minnesota said: Hey people! I am 25 years old and I have a young child. I'm trying to figure out a career I would enjoy, but also one that I don't have to be in school forever. I've been researching a few careers and dental hygienists seem to make very good money. IS THIS A CAREER YOU WOULD RECOMMEND? I've been reading a lot of the comments and they don't sound very good!

Thanks...

Hi Jamie, Training and becoming an RDH isn't a career anymore and you are RIGHT about the comments...many not finding work after the grueling 2+ yrs. of training , testing, and Boards: 2 of these for licensing...I recommend Dental Assisting if you want to have a career in the dental field, you are more likely to find work with a reg/set/paycheck/days/hours...in most cases also you are more likely than a DH to obtain med/dent/sick/vaca/holiday/CEU's....so , as you can see it is a better choice and costs, around 2-5,000, maybe 9-12mos program....RDH's are in a very tough position for many years to come...are you interested in any other med field? P.S. The BLS, Govt., and online articles do NOT know much in the way of the RDH, can't speak for other fields. I have 24 yrs. of exp as an RDH, and I as well as those in the field 20+, are telling the truth and trying to inform many to save you from debt and alot of heartache in looking for employment. Reality of the market for the RDH ....present and future...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia

53 months ago

Hi Jamie: I wouldn't recommend DH now; too many hygienists looking for too few jobs. The new grads are underemployed or unemployed. Wages are going down; the laws of supply and demand are working against hygienists. And as "exp. in NH" says, no benefits. That may not be such a big issue when you're young and are happy just to get a job, but it really comes into play as you get older. It would affect you more than other new grads since you have a child; you will need time off for him/her, and if you don't work, you won't get paid. Please do some more research and look for jobs that will offer benefits and better working conditions as well as a better prospect in the future. Can you speak to an employment counselor to do aptitude testing, and see where your interests lie? Go to the local library or bookstores and look for information on various job fields. Sadly, hygiene's heyday is over. The DH schools may not tell you that, but sadly, it's the truth. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

I'm not a dental hygienist, but I've read up on it and I know that it's NOT a good field to try to go into right now. You'll be competing with experienced hygienists looking for a job. That leaves little hope for a new grad without experience. It's so tough out there right now. Best of luck in finding a decent career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

53 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: I'm not a dental hygienist, but I've read up on it and I know that it's NOT a good field to try to go into right now. You'll be competing with experienced hygienists looking for a job. That leaves little hope for a new grad without experience. It's so tough out there right now. Best of luck in finding a decent career!

YEs...the sad thing is NO ONE has any job security anymore.....even some experienced DHs are being 'let go of'.....since there are SO MANY new grads looking for work and will accept any pay....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

53 months ago

If you want a steady secure career, steer clear of hygiene. Benefits? Rare if any. The practice I'm in offers insurance. For employee and 1 child it's $960 a month. The company pays $182 for employee and the $960 would be on you. NUTS! New hygienist who took my full-time and relocated for this job has 2 little boys and worked 1 hour yesterday and was sent home. Promised 39 hours a week. Not worth the paper it's written on because there's fine print that states they have the right to adjust the staff's schedule due to production demands. If you work for a good dr and they're rare, you will love it the first few years. Then reality will hit you like a brick if for any reason you have to look for a job. Your degree is not worth anything in any other field. A bachelor's would be the only way you can apply for other jobs. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: YEs...the sad thing is NO ONE has any job security anymore.....even some experienced DHs are being 'let go of'.....since there are SO MANY new grads looking for work and will accept any pay....

Hi 30 yr. VET....YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE...MARK!!! Sad that we can't get ie- ADHA to help....hands are tied...I'm sure if they were on our side they would take legal steps for job security....what are they really doing with the money mem's send them....a new car or vaca? How about some legislation without repurcussion(sp) for any DH's presently in the system...care...? I don't think so...have a nice night!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristen Kimsey in Dayton, Minnesota

53 months ago

the job market in MN is rough right now too many DH schools and not enough jobs.. If you have your heart set on it go for it, but just know you will be dealing with a tough job market if you choose MN. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Kristen Kimsey in Dayton, Minnesota said: the job market in MN is rough right now too many DH schools and not enough jobs.. If you have your heart set on it go for it, but just know you will be dealing with a tough job market if you choose MN. Best of luck to you.

Hi Kristen, I would direct those thinking of RDH to get their experience in dental in DA instead...why? It costs ALOT less, you can see if you like the dental field, you might be able to work with a Dr. willing to pay for some of your ed in return for going to work for their practice after you have your licenses, etc....and , yes, you are more likely to find a JOB with reg/set/ pay/hours/vaca....DH's get.....ZIP (the nice word for what I really want to say)...If you have DA skills use them. I think even if you can , the Dr. might be willing to take someone with dental background PT over someone without any exp...MO...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

toothchic in El Mirage, Arizona

51 months ago

Dental Hygienist is a great career, IF you find a job. The problem is ECONOMY. We are hanging on to our jobs now instead of job hopping every few years. I am SICK of my employee now telling to wash my own floor! (I dont have a degree in DH to clean floors). I cant wait to tell my boss to stuff it! BUT, I am job searching and there is NOTHING out there!!!Everyone is temping 20ish hours a week. I can step down to part time in 7 years after my house is paid off. Until then, I have to keep my mouth shut and suffer. I wish you LUCK! I do LOVE Dental Hygiene, I just hate my boss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

toothchic in El Mirage, Arizona said: Dental Hygienist is a great career, IF you find a job. The problem is ECONOMY. We are hanging on to our jobs now instead of job hopping every few years. I am SICK of my employee now telling to wash my own floor! (I dont have a degree in DH to clean floors). I cant wait to tell my boss to stuff it! BUT, I am job searching and there is NOTHING out there!!!Everyone is temping 20ish hours a week. I can step down to part time in 7 years after my house is paid off. Until then, I have to keep my mouth shut and suffer. I wish you LUCK! I do LOVE Dental Hygiene, I just hate my boss.

The problem is NOT just the economy....the problem is the flooding of dental hygiene programs all over the flipping place! WAY TOO MANY grads are coming out of these stupid schools and flodding the market with thousands of dental hygienists....and there ARE NOT ENOUGH DH jobs out there to meet the pluthoria of DHs coming out!! PEOPLE....do NOT go into DH.....it has changed....and it will not recover any time soon...!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mcary in Modesto, California

50 months ago

toothchic in El Mirage, Arizona said: Dental Hygienist is a great career, IF you find a job. The problem is ECONOMY. We are hanging on to our jobs now instead of job hopping every few years. I am SICK of my employee now telling to wash my own floor! (I dont have a degree in DH to clean floors). I cant wait to tell my boss to stuff it! BUT, I am job searching and there is NOTHING out there!!!Everyone is temping 20ish hours a week. I can step down to part time in 7 years after my house is paid off. Until then, I have to keep my mouth shut and suffer. I wish you LUCK! I do LOVE Dental Hygiene, I just hate my boss.

How is the job market on arizona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

50 months ago

Hi Mcary, Unless you KNOW of positions available now...check the papers , online, temp agencies...to see how many apply...is the pay less than it was? etc...go for a career not the DH's life of PT opportunities...DH as a career is no more...alot of money for a questionable employment situation...check out what I've mentioned above...NOT the online articles, BLS or the schools info...THEY are "NOT" telling the TRUTH about this field...get back to us after you have researched Arizona's DH market...but I bet, they are oversaturated too...sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fann in Staunton, Virginia

49 months ago

Question: I'm trying to decide between Rad Tech and DH with a leaning toward DH. I've read all the comments on multiple sites about the DH job market. However, it seems where I live that the market is fair. One of my friends graduated just last May and is working full time with good pay (no benefits though). What really draws me to DH is good pay with only working 4 days so I can stay home with my kids (when I'm ready to have them). Rad techs have to work weekends, nights (depending on the shift), and holidays. Also, they have to be on-call which I don't think I'd like. However, they do get benefits. I'm really weighing the pros and cons at this point. Advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

49 months ago

Fann in Staunton, Virginia said: Question: I'm trying to decide between Rad Tech and DH with a leaning toward DH. I've read all the comments on multiple sites about the DH job market. However, it seems where I live that the market is fair. One of my friends graduated just last May and is working full time with good pay (no benefits though). What really draws me to DH is good pay with only working 4 days so I can stay home with my kids (when I'm ready to have them). Rad techs have to work weekends, nights (depending on the shift), and holidays. Also, they have to be on-call which I don't think I'd like. However, they do get benefits. I'm really weighing the pros and cons at this point. Advice??

Go for Rad Tech....DH primarily is dying out, no negotiating power for days/pay, etc....if you read further on here you will see many new grads are having a tough time as well as the overabundance already in the market....large $$$ for schooling and too difficult to find employment to have a life and payback the ridiculous loans you will need to pay for this ed. Everyone: schools, etc. are more than glad to take your money...THEY ARE A BUSINESS AND THEIR JOBS ARE SECURE....don't believe them....online articles and the Govt./BLS....are not in our field and are just saying what others tell them about our field....they DON'T CARE....research fields that have a benefits pkg of some sort...most DH's on their own for EVERYTHING...save and spend well if you go this route...not rosey but real...sorry...

sadhygienist in West Palm Beach, Florida

42 months ago

I would not recommend this career to anyone at this point. I recently graduated from hygiene school and got licensed, then moved to Florida for my husband's job. I haven't gotten licensed in FL and I'm not sure I'm going too. There are 18 DH schools in FL and FL allows foreign trained dentists to sit for the hygiene boards...there were 500+ hygienists that took FL boards in June with a 73% pass rate...that's a lot of RDHs looking for jobs. I don't know any RDH in FL, TN, AR, or MS that is working 4-5 days, they are mostly working 2 days. I have a lot of debt from school, the training is really hard and stressful, the exams are really hard and stressful, the market is horrible right now and for years to come, etc.
In some states they are allowing RDAs to get expanded function in scaling, so that will further reduce the need of a hygienist. Our career is shrinking, not expanding...in some states it is expanding, CO and MN.
I thought hygiene was a respectable career until I worked in a fast paced, high-tech growing office...it is all about the money. No one cares if you do a good job, they just care that you make money for the practice. It is not possible to do 4 full quad SRPs, take an FMX and show the educational videos in 30 minutes...but that's what they did. Personally, I feel any job that has to deal with insurance benefits is going to have compromising ethics and will not continue to grow while so many workers are unemployed and without benefits. The education in school is way too intense for what the job actually is...we NEVER get to diagnose anything, so there is no reason to learn so much oral pathology, the dentist will TELL you what it is, he won't ask you if you agree. I feel we need to either have our license be accepted in all 50 states or we need to get rid of the national board and just let the states have control of the hygienists in their state

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDH in Placentia, California

42 months ago

Being RDH is great for moms! EXCELLENT salary for part time work (if you can find work that is). Yes, PART TIME work! If you are not looking to work part time, you should find another career to invest in. All those who are trying to work full time as RDH- you picked the wrong career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

42 months ago

RDH in Placentia, California said: Being RDH is great for moms! EXCELLENT salary for part time work (if you can find work that is). Yes, PART TIME work! If you are not looking to work part time, you should find another career to invest in. All those who are trying to work full time as RDH- you picked the wrong career.

Not in the present day or the near future. PT work anywhere, not happening in the sense of being able to payback loans, live on, etc. If you have family in the field and are assured of a position when you have completed a program...this would be the only situation that WILL give you a definite position. The "4.0", in school does not pan out to a job when you get out...who you know and how fast you can go, do the most and SELL products...is what may get you a position and that's a big IF. Do you really want to pay out the $$$ for a job not a career that's a big IF? If you choose DH...it's a big shot in the dark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rdh in Mugla, Turkey

42 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Not in the present day or the near future. PT work anywhere, not happening in the sense of being able to payback loans, live on, etc. If you have family in the field and are assured of a position when you have completed a program...this would be the only situation that WILL give you a definite position. The "4.0", in school does not pan out to a job when you get out...who you know and how fast you can go, do the most and SELL products...is what may get you a position and that's a big IF. Do you really want to pay out the $$$ for a job not a career that's a big IF? If you choose DH...it's a big shot in the dark.

I disagree. I was assured a position, but when graduation time had come the dentist. Made an excuse and made a left turn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rdh in Mugla, Turkey

42 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Not in the present day or the near future. PT work anywhere, not happening in the sense of being able to payback loans, live on, etc. If you have family in the field and are assured of a position when you have completed a program...this would be the only situation that WILL give you a definite position. The "4.0", in school does not pan out to a job when you get out...who you know and how fast you can go, do the most and SELL products...is what may get you a position and that's a big IF. Do you really want to pay out the $$$ for a job not a career that's a big IF? If you choose DH...it's a big shot in the dark.

I disagree. I was assured a position, but when graduation time had come the dentist. Made an excuse and made a left turn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ddunn in Greensboro, North Carolina

42 months ago

I am in the medical field and if I had the time I would go back and obtain certification for some type of technician i.e. CT, MRI, ultrasound, etc. They make good money are always in demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

I went to a community college for my dental hygiene education so I didn't have much of a loan to pay back. I have no idea why some hygienist choose to study at an expensive private college. PT DH works perfectly for me. My husband brings home a steady salary so the $55/hr (no benefits or paid sick leave whatsoever) that I make PT contributes just fine to our combined income. And I only work 20 hrs a week which gives me a lot of quality time with my young daughter.

Kendra in Laguna Niguel, California

42 months ago

Community college only accepts like 24 applicants a year, so getting accepted into any dental hygiene program is an accomplishment when your competing against 200 other applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Kendra in Laguna Niguel, California said: Community college only accepts like 24 applicants a year, so getting accepted into any dental hygiene program is an accomplishment when your competing against 200 other applicants.

My school had over 400 applicants for 24 spots. If too many schools are offering DH programs at higher tuition, there will be far too many graduates and not enough jobs to help them repay their loans, which I would imagine could be $30,000+.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

42 months ago

RDH in Placentia, California said: My school had over 400 applicants for 24 spots. If too many schools are offering DH programs at higher tuition, there will be far too many graduates and not enough jobs to help them repay their loans, which I would imagine could be $30,000+.

Hi, Schools are a business and the online info., well, it's to attract those to our field, but , what they don't tell you is it is oversaturated in many states because they need and want your money. The schools, govt., etc. will not change to allow all to work. Some will go for DH for whatever their personal reasons are. It's sad that we pass this inside info on to those seeking REAL info. Sadly, some believe we don't know what's happening with the schools, programs, office politics. In the tooth and nail situation, no pun intended of the politics to get a job, not career anymore, they want to learn the hard way. I know some get very ....off at anyone NOT from their particular state offering this info...so what's your take on TX and CALIF? REALLY, are there numerous positions that have enough work to live on , pay loans, etc? Let us know towns/cities that you know of, because I see CA and TX split as to work for the MANY RDH's out there looking on this site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Hi, Schools are a business and the online info., well, it's to attract those to our field, but , what they don't tell you is it is oversaturated in many states because they need and want your money. The schools, govt., etc. will not change to allow all to work. Some will go for DH for whatever their personal reasons are. It's sad that we pass this inside info on to those seeking REAL info. Sadly, some believe we don't know what's happening with the schools, programs, office politics. In the tooth and nail situation, no pun intended of the politics to get a job, not career anymore, they want to learn the hard way. I know some get very ....off at anyone NOT from their particular state offering this info...so what's your take on TX and CALIF? REALLY, are there numerous positions that have enough work to live on , pay loans, etc? Let us know towns/cities that you know of, because I see CA and TX split as to work for the MANY RDH's out there looking on this site.

When I looked for jobs (southern CA) back in 2008, there were a lot more postings for RDHs than I see these days. I regularly browse through DH ads and forums on my offdays just to see what's going on out there. I do enjoy reading this particular forum because I can get genuine feelings and insightful observations of RDHs and potential RDHs. I chose the dental field for future security but if there are too many graduates as well as seasoned RDHs looking for jobs, our future does not look very secure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDH2009 in Orange Park, Florida

42 months ago

I agre. I'm a rdh in fl and been out of school 2yrs. I have been on a few interviews but no job yet. I wish I had gotten my licensed in other states. They told us a week before graduation about the reality of finding full time jobs. I'm ggoing to rn school.

sadhygienist in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I would not recommend this career to anyone at this point. I recently graduated from hygiene school and got licensed, then moved to Florida for my husband's job. I haven't gotten licensed in FL and I'm not sure I'm going too. There are 18 DH schools in FL and FL allows foreign trained dentists to sit for the hygiene boards...there were 500+ hygienists that took FL boards in June with a 73% pass rate...that's a lot of RDHs looking for jobs. I don't know any RDH in FL, TN, AR, or MS that is working 4-5 days, they are mostly working 2 days. I have a lot of debt from school, the training is really hard and stressful, the exams are really hard and stressful, the market is horrible right now and for years to come, etc.
In some states they are allowing RDAs to get expanded function in scaling, so that will further reduce the need of a hygienist. Our career is shrinking, not expanding...in some states it is expanding, CO and MN.
I thought hygiene was a respectable career until I worked in a fast paced, high-tech growing office...it is all about the money. No one cares if you do a good job, they just care that you make money for the practice. It is not possible to do 4 full quad SRPs, take an FMX and show the educational videos in 30 minutes...but that's what they did. Personally, I feel any job that has to deal with insurance benefits is going to have compromising ethics and will not continue to grow while so many workers are unemployed and without benefits. The education in school is way too intense for what the job actually is...we NEVER get to diagnose anything, so there is no reason to learn so much oral pathology, the dentist will TELL you what it is, he w

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCALI in Lake Elsinore, California

42 months ago

I would definately have chosen to be an RN if I would have had some insight as to what these "trade schools" had in the plans when I picked hygiene. I chose to pay high dollar tuition at a renowned university for the sake of having job security with a BS over a AS degree, with no idea what was in store for us as hygienists now. I have been practicing 3 years now, and actively searching for a job in a private practice for 3 years. I work in an office that has the worst reputation in town for the high overturn in doctors (14 Drs in 3 years), a corporate office, but it's all I have been able to find. I have actually gotten a shot with a few interviews, but lost to other RDH with more experience or bilangual, done personal stops to offices to drop off resumes,and called offices. Nothing- there are wayyyy too many of us for me to even get a shot at a working interview! Three out of five of my closest hygiene friends from school are considering career changes already due to no jobs and too boring. Honestly, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Hygiene school is so much effort. I have a two year old baby girl too, and for me to imagine going through hygiene school with a baby is hard enough; but then, to graduate, and not know if you will even find a job, or be replaced in a year by someone who is cheaper than you is just not a career I would pick. Do nursing. It's the same prereqs, and you get benefits, you won't get bored in the industry because you can just move to another department. If you want more money, you can be a nurse practioner. In hygiene, there is nothing else, and you can't move up. I'm going to be researching RN schools too because I'm so sick of this disaster with hygiene, and it's only going to get worse with so many schools opening up and too many new graduates out there accepting half of what we are worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

RDHCALI in Lake Elsinore, California said: I would definately have chosen to be an RN if I would have had some insight as to what these "trade schools" had in the plans when I picked hygiene. I chose to pay high dollar tuition at a renowned university for the sake of having job security with a BS over a AS degree, with no idea what was in store for us as hygienists now. I have been practicing 3 years now, and actively searching for a job in a private practice for 3 years. I work in an office that has the worst reputation in town for the high overturn in doctors (14 Drs in 3 years), a corporate office, but it's all I have been able to find. I have actually gotten a shot with a few interviews, but lost to other RDH with more experience or bilangual, done personal stops to offices to drop off resumes,and called offices. Nothing- there are wayyyy too many of us for me to even get a shot at a working interview! Three out of five of my closest hygiene friends from school are considering career changes already due to no jobs and too boring. Honestly, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Hygiene school is so much effort. I have a two year old baby girl too, and for me to imagine going through hygiene school with a baby is hard enough; but then, to graduate, and not know if you will even find a job, or be replaced in a year by someone who is cheaper than you is just not a career I would pick. Do nursing. It's the same prereqs, and you get benefits, you won't get bored in the industry because you can just move to another department. If you want more money, you can be a nurse practioner. In hygiene, there is nothing else, and you can't move up. I'm going to be researching RN schools too because I'm so sick of this disaster with hygiene, and it's only going to get worse with so many schools opening up and too many new graduates out there accepting half of what we are worth.

Thanks for posting your comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anys6 in fort collins, Colorado

42 months ago

Decision making process:
*Hygiene has ALWAYS been mostly PT. In all employment, PT means limited or no benefits.

*Shadow an office or be a dental assistant 1st to see what hyg is all about. This is not a career for everyone.

*Research your area: job opportunities?, restrictive laws?, # of programs/competition? Too many dental offices = not enough patients.

*Research employer: Lots of staff turnover?, PPO/corporate office? Working interview to check fit with office. Stand out by stating what you'll bring to the practice.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.