Should I get an Associate's or a Bachelor's for Dental Hygiene?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 218)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Holly in Greenville, North Carolina

65 months ago

I want to go to school for Dental Hygiene, the only thing I am unsure of now is how to go about getting my degree? Is it worth the time/money to complete a 4-year degree at a college/university with a Bachelor of science in DH? Or are accredited 2-year programs satisfactory for getting a good job in most places? Are Bachelor's, in most cases, only suggested if you want to move to another job in the dentistry field after so many years? (teaching, sales rep.s, etc), or are they highly suggested by potential bosses? I know that a Bachelor's degree is ALWAYS nice to "have in your back pocket" as my dad would say, but how necessary are they in this career? What I want to know, simply put, is if the majority of Dental Hygienists have their Associate's or Bachelor's?
Thank you for ANY help/advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (274) / No (84) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn E in Columbus, Ohio

64 months ago

I think you should get your bachelor degree. As a dental hygienist with a bachelor degree there are more areas that you can find work. You can work for the state whereby it would be more educational and not clinical by doing dental infor for schools, head start programs, water plants, health departments etc. A hygienist does not only work in a private office. Research areas with national institute of dental research, some of the different companies who sell dental products-sales rep., pharmacy companies. Some indian programs providing dental health to children in rural areas. Sealant programs in some cities, so there is a host of areas, but the average hygienist thinks only of the dental office. I worked for the state for 11years before going back to private practice, and it has been the best thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (93) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Newark, Ohio

64 months ago

Holly....I have worked in dental hygiene for 28 years now. Have only ever had an Assoc. degree. I have had friends with similar degrees working for the state in sealant programs, head start, etc. I make just as much and more than a lot of hygienists with bachelor degrees. (I have been very fortunate with my employers.) Point is, in private practice, the dentist does not care which degree you have. I have never even been questioned about it. Although, a BA will help you if you want to pursue further or different career opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

eli in Toronto, Ontario

64 months ago

can i get bachelor degree in dental hygiene with having bachelor of science in biology and NON-accredited dental hygiene diploma???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

anjenako143 in glendale, California

63 months ago

Dawn E in Columbus, Ohio said: I think you should get your bachelor degree. As a dental hygienist with a bachelor degree there are more areas that you can find work. You can work for the state whereby it would be more educational and not clinical by doing dental infor for schools, head start programs, water plants, health departments etc. A hygienist does not only work in a private office. Research areas with national institute of dental research, some of the different companies who sell dental products-sales rep., pharmacy companies. Some indian programs providing dental health to children in rural areas. Sealant programs in some cities, so there is a host of areas, but the average hygienist thinks only of the dental office. I worked for the state for 11years before going back to private practice, and it has been the best thing.

So you worked for a hospital? I really do want to look to DH as a good career, ...in the process of applying and finishing prereqs but lately ive been having second thoughts since it seems people are scaring me that its not really in high demand and it's frustrating looking for a job? I was thinking of working for the state but will that be hard..competitive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Medina, Ohio

60 months ago

I am currently working in a private practice as a registered dental hygienist and have practiced since 1981. Physically I am getting burned out working 8-9 hr days without a lunch break and no hourly increases for the past three years.I have two associate degrees, One is an Associate in Science and the other is an Associate in Applied Science. I would like to combine my credits to obtain a Bachelors of Science or a Bachelors in Applied Science. I realize that additional courses will be required to complete this degree. My hopes are to teach in a dental hygiene clinic.
Do you think this is an unrealistic goal and is the pay scale with this type of job worth it. Please offer some advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

k-rdh in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

60 months ago

I have been a dental hygienist only four years now and im suffering from trapezius myalgia and numbness in my right thumb. This is an ongoing pain for me and its very discouraging, i do like my job and my patients but my body can't handle the strain. Im only 40 and with all this pain i feel like im 80! i need some advice on how i should go about chosing a career that is going to be for the long term. I have AAS, i would like to get my bachelors degree but i just dont know in what. Does anyone have any good advice? please share your experiences and thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jenny in La Quinta, California

58 months ago

Does anyone know anything about accelerated degree programs to get a two year degree in DH in one year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

anjenako143 in glendale, California said: So you worked for a hospital? I really do want to look to DH as a good career, ...in the process of applying and finishing prereqs but lately ive been having second thoughts since it seems people are scaring me that its not really in high demand and it's frustrating looking for a job? I was thinking of working for the state but will that be hard..competitive?

We don't want to scare you, it's unfortunately the "Reality" of the Dental Hygiene field now. It's not the field of opportunity it once was, and the numbers of new, old and grad's is creating a "vying for....and sometimes back stabbing (yes, I do mean this) for ANY employment listings". If you wish to ONLY go into Dental , go for DENTAL school. If you like the medical field: Nursing, Radilolgist, etc....think about your future, and a retirement.....not so with many R.D.H.'s.......Reality "-----", (choose your own word).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

k-rdh in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: I have been a dental hygienist only four years now and im suffering from trapezius myalgia and numbness in my right thumb. This is an ongoing pain for me and its very discouraging, i do like my job and my patients but my body can't handle the strain. Im only 40 and with all this pain i feel like im 80! i need some advice on how i should go about chosing a career that is going to be for the long term. I have AAS, i would like to get my bachelors degree but i just dont know in what. Does anyone have any good advice? please share your experiences and thoughts.

Hi, How about TEACHING? There is not a repetitive movement for hands like that of Hygiene....AND....a plus.....you will recieve for your hard work......retirement ben's! Look into it, I'm sure this would be a nice tangent to your present skills since you do "teach". GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

jenny in La Quinta, California said: Does anyone know anything about accelerated degree programs to get a two year degree in DH in one year?

Hi Jenny, Please consider other medical majors as options for a career. I say this because, if you've been reading across the board on many threads....Dental Hygiene employment...is going through a rough time. If you want to waste $ (a lot for training in this field), this is the field to do it in. I'm only stating truth about our situation. Wages are going down, tuition is WAY up there, and will you be able to find enough work to support yourself; basic needs and some for fun? Very ?able now. Maybe in 7-10yrs. it will turn around , but the Dr.'s have many resumes that have the qualifications needed...but it's a "pick this one...and if she doesn't work out I have 30 more in the drawer".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

58 months ago

EXP....you continue to be the voice of reason and truth here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ChloeRDH in Southington, Connecticut

58 months ago

k-rdh in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: I have been a dental hygienist only four years now and im suffering from trapezius myalgia and numbness in my right thumb. This is an ongoing pain for me and its very discouraging, i do like my job and my patients but my body can't handle the strain. Im only 40 and with all this pain i feel like im 80! i need some advice on how i should go about chosing a career that is going to be for the long term. I have AAS, i would like to get my bachelors degree but i just dont know in what. Does anyone have any good advice? please share your experiences and thoughts.

K, I would look around and see which college(s) will transfer the most credits you have. That is what I did. I am 1 credit away from my BS in biological health science. My school took all of my credits...90 ( I had extra credits because I was undecided at first) so I only had to take 10 additional classes to get my BS. Look around and speak to the schools in your area. Also, there are quite a few online programs that may offer more flexability in terms of your current schedule. It took me a while, but I found a great school that was willing to take everything I had. I did not want to get a BSDH...it's too limiting and I did not want to be tied to this career any longer than I had to be! I can definitely relate to how you feel. I have only been doing hygiene for 2 years and I KNOW that I do not want to do this much longer. My body aches constantly and other than a great hourly wage, I have nothing else. No benefits, no job security, no retirement package...ect ect. I always urge my fellow RDHs to get a BS or higher because this career is just too unstable and work related injuries are far too common. You will feel so much better once you are on your way to earning a BS. I feel like a weight is being lifted off of me because now I will have more options and I won't be tied to this career for the rest of my life!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

58 months ago

ChloeRDH in Southington, Connecticut said: K, I would look around and see which college(s) will transfer the most credits you have. That is what I did. I am 1 credit away from my BS in biological health science. My school took all of my credits...90 ( I had extra credits because I was undecided at first) so I only had to take 10 additional classes to get my BS. Look around and speak to the schools in your area. Also, there are quite a few online programs that may offer more flexability in terms of your current schedule. It took me a while, but I found a great school that was willing to take everything I had. I did not want to get a BSDH...it's too limiting and I did not want to be tied to this career any longer than I had to be! I can definitely relate to how you feel. I have only been doing hygiene for 2 years and I KNOW that I do not want to do this much longer. My body aches constantly and other than a great hourly wage, I have nothing else. No benefits, no job security, no retirement package...ect ect. I always urge my fellow RDHs to get a BS or higher because this career is just too unstable and work related injuries are far too common. You will feel so much better once you are on your way to earning a BS. I feel like a weight is being lifted off of me because now I will have more options and I won't be tied to this career for the rest of my life!!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

eli in Toronto, Ontario said: can i get bachelor degree in dental hygiene with having bachelor of science in biology and NON-accredited dental hygiene diploma???

not very likely. The pre-req for dental hygiene 4th year is to have a DipDH from an accredited school already. It is highly unlikely that a University like UBC would recognize your non-accredited 'credits,' so you will be S O L. The program is well subscribed, and they give automatic entry to new grads from BC public DH schools. Wouldn't hurt to call them up first and check.

Why would anyone go to a non-accredited school in the first place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

58 months ago

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: not very likely. The pre-req for dental hygiene 4th year is to have a DipDH from an accredited school already. It is highly unlikely that a University like UBC would recognize your non-accredited 'credits,' so you will be S O L. The program is well subscribed, and they give automatic entry to new grads from BC public DH schools. Wouldn't hurt to call them up first and check.

Why would anyone go to a non-accredited school in the first place?

amen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sidney in Portland, Oregon

58 months ago

Just because you have trouble finding work in a certain area, doesn't mean other certain areas will be the same. Just a thought. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nano614 in Elmwood Park, New Jersey

56 months ago

Is it possible to receive an associates degree in applied science and become a dental hygienist and work and also return to school while i am working to become a dentist? Or is it better i go for a bachelors in applied science and then work as a hygienist and also go to school for dentistry? I need to work Now, so that is why i want to work as a hygienist and go to school for dentistry...is it possible????please help me with this ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

56 months ago

nano614 in Elmwood Park, New Jersey said: Is it possible to receive an associates degree in applied science and become a dental hygienist and work and also return to school while i am working to become a dentist? Or is it better i go for a bachelors in applied science and then work as a hygienist and also go to school for dentistry? I need to work Now, so that is why i want to work as a hygienist and go to school for dentistry...is it possible????please help me with this ?

I feel the best advice to give you in regard to becoming an R.D.H. is to NOT train in this field. I would look into DENTAL school and see what the pre-req's are. If you have a science background and have taken and passed courses...see if you can apply these toward a Dental schools program. As far as working, I didn't, and those who do....they really are good at organizing and sticking to and getting up in the morning for work and school and studying...it's stressful and time consuming for any Dental training, so, speak with the school's Admissions, work out cost, etc...then go from there...Hope all works out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

56 months ago

nano614,
You can get your aas to work as a hygienist and then go on to a bs and so forth if you need to work to keep going. It would be more than I could handle but maybe you can. I had a very good friend in hygiene school who did just that. It took her 5 years after hygiene school and she also got married, adopted her 7 year old stepdaughter, and had 2 kids of her own. She now works for the army in TN and makes fantastic money and has all the benefits too. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Hollywood, Florida

55 months ago

hi , i wanna do my AAs in dental hygiene in Broward Comunity Colleage and then work as a dental hygiene while doing my Bs in pre-dental in barry University .. are those credits transferable to a dental school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

55 months ago

Maria in Hollywood, Florida said: hi , i wanna do my AAs in dental hygiene in Broward Comunity Colleage and then work as a dental hygiene while doing my Bs in pre-dental in barry University .. are those credits transferable to a dental school?

Most classes are. Make sure you have high grades and the classes aren't too old. C's are transferrable but anything higher just looks good. Some courses older than 5 yrs have to be redone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan RDH in SO CAL in Visalia, California

55 months ago

I would love some input... I am a recent grad, and I want to pursue a BS.. Does anyone know of any schools that will accept the DH transfer towards a BS??

rye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Hi Rye, Where do you want to go (workwise) with a BS? Are you looking at: Advocate, Administrative...? In Visalia, CA, what is the job market like at present? It seems that the D.H.'s on this site are split as to employment opportunities, what's your take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Medina, Ohio

54 months ago

Hi. I am currently working toward my BAS in Allied Health.I believe any AS is accepted as long as it is in some type of health care.I am taking all of my classes on line through Youngstate University.Allied Health is a great place to start if you are considering a masters in Public Health. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sponjevic in Astoria, New York

54 months ago

Nancy in Medina, Ohio said: Hi. I am currently working toward my BAS in Allied Health.I believe any AS is accepted as long as it is in some type of health care.I am taking all of my classes on line through Youngstate University.Allied Health is a great place to start if you are considering a masters in Public Health. Good Luck!

Hi Nancy. Thank you for your answer. I tried to google Youngstate University but nothing came out. Did you mean Youngstown state university? Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

I have been fortunate to work in an office for the past ten years where I was paid a 33% commission rate. DH can get very repetitive and I always viewed the commission as a motivation and reward for hard work. Recently my employer realized I was making way above the average hygiene rate and decided to put me on salary. In all, taking a $13/hr pay-cut. I want to negotiate a fair deal and stay on commission. They seem to think I'm the last hygienist on earth who still works on commission. Am I? And what is fair? Any suggestions about what to do next?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

who knows in Ottawa, Ontario

54 months ago

dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio said: I have been fortunate to work in an office for the past ten years where I was paid a 33% commission rate. DH can get very repetitive and I always viewed the commission as a motivation and reward for hard work. Recently my employer realized I was making way above the average hygiene rate and decided to put me on salary. In all, taking a $13/hr pay-cut. I want to negotiate a fair deal and stay on commission. They seem to think I'm the last hygienist on earth who still works on commission. Am I? And what is fair? Any suggestions about what to do next?

I don't think that there are that many dental hygienists who still work commission. It kind of depends. Some do, but they are technically self-employed and on contract with the dentist. That way they get paid per appointment and not per hour. If you are considered self-employed though, you have to pay your own insurance and technically pay the dentist a 'rental' fee for the space and equipment you use. So if the dentist covered all that and you were working commission, I understand why he switched you to per hour. You could talk to the dentist to see if he'll consider taking you on contract as self-employed... but in the long run, it may end up being around the same pay cut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Medina, Ohio

54 months ago

Sorry for the error. Yes i did mean Youngstown State University.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rhonda in Sunbury, Ohio

54 months ago

dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio said: I have been fortunate to work in an office for the past ten years where I was paid a 33% commission rate. DH can get very repetitive and I always viewed the commission as a motivation and reward for hard work. Recently my employer realized I was making way above the average hygiene rate and decided to put me on salary. In all, taking a $13/hr pay-cut. I want to negotiate a fair deal and stay on commission. They seem to think I'm the last hygienist on earth who still works on commission. Am I? And what is fair? Any suggestions about what to do next?

Sorry to hear about that! Most hygienist I know are hourly...W/ new grads making $28-32..and exp...$32-$35...The hygiene jobs in cols. are hard to find..w/ Ohio State and Col. State Programs...Maybe the dentist would consider a bonus program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rjp153 in Sealy, Texas

54 months ago

hi I go Houston community college and I have been doing the basic core classes there until I had decided what i wanted to do..well i now want to become a dental hygienist...i am not smart (as in I am not good in school..i try hard and do my best but i still don't do as good)so this is why I am falling back on going to UT health science center where they do bachelor program for dental hygienists (b/c I'm sure it is going to be hard)...so my question is should i get an associates degree from Hcc and see from there..my concern with that is I wont find a good job especially with today's economy...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rjp153 in Sealy, Texas

54 months ago

Is there someone who has just recently graduated and is now a dental hygentist with either an associates or bachelors degree??? If so how is that going for you and what do you get paid??? If you dont mind answering these questions please do. (I know these questions are a little personal thank you so much )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rjp153 in Sealy, Texas

54 months ago

I'm in the process of getting an associates degree in dental hygienist, and I have not had any jobs yet (none at all no fast food, retail, etc. no work experience) I have only been taking classes at college since I graduated high school, so what can I do to build my resume???
If you get an associates degree in dental hygienist, where are some places that I can look for jobs???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sofia Silcox in Milwaukee

54 months ago

Holly in Greenville, North Carolina said: I want to go to school for Dental Hygiene, the only thing I am unsure of now is how to go about getting my degree? Is it worth the time/money to complete a 4-year degree at a college/university with a Bachelor of science in DH? Or are accredited 2-year programs satisfactory for getting a good job in most places? Are Bachelor's, in most cases, only suggested if you want to move to another job in the dentistry field after so many years? (teaching, sales rep.s, etc), or are they highly suggested by potential bosses? I know that a Bachelor's degree is ALWAYS nice to "have in your back pocket" as my dad would say, but how necessary are they in this career? What I want to know, simply put, is if the majority of Dental Hygienists have their Associate's or Bachelor's?
Thank you for ANY help/advice.

Training period is generally 2 years, though there are bachelor and master program that exist in dental hygiene. After completion of the training an associate degree is awarded. State license is vital to begin their work officially. Many states require the professional to go through a dental hygiene training program that is completing a written test and a practical exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Medina, Ohio

54 months ago

I am a practicing RDH in the state of Ohio and been practicing nearly 29 years. I make approximately $32/hr. I have an AS in Applied Science,passed the state and a national board exam to obtain a license that lets me practice in the state. I do not know of any states that require only a certificate. Does any one know of any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dhmom in Grove City, Ohio

54 months ago

dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio said: I have been fortunate to work in an office for the past ten years where I was paid a 33% commission rate. DH can get very repetitive and I always viewed the commission as a motivation and reward for hard work. Recently my employer realized I was making way above the average hygiene rate and decided to put me on salary. In all, taking a $13/hr pay-cut. I want to negotiate a fair deal and stay on commission. They seem to think I'm the last hygienist on earth who still works on commission. Am I? And what is fair? Any suggestions about what to do next?

My daughter works in Columbus and has been working for 2years as a dh. She earns 28.00 per hour. However many of her friends from school are earning 30-34 per hour. She also does not have to pay for her medical insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diego 619 in San Diego, California

54 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: We don't want to scare you, it's unfortunately the "Reality" of the Dental Hygiene field now. It's not the field of opportunity it once was, and the numbers of new, old and grad's is creating a "vying for....and sometimes back stabbing (yes, I do mean this) for ANY employment listings". If you wish to ONLY go into Dental , go for DENTAL school. If you like the medical field: Nursing, Radilolgist, etc....think about your future, and a retirement.....not so with many R.D.H.'s.......Reality "-----", (choose your own word).

I agree, If one was to look into working as a network with several dentist it would be far different.. remember as DH's you compliment them "Dentist" They need us!! I'm business major and its just like monopoly. Its not like they can take the skill away.... I just finished all my pre-reqs and on my way to applying to several DH programs.. after that...get my RDHAP and monopolize. The Job Market is awsome.. just depends on how to apply it. If you wanna work for a dentist.. cool.. wanna open a small clinic only focused on cleanings and exams?? even better!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Diego 619 in San Diego, California

54 months ago

Ryan RDH in SO CAL in Visalia, California said: I would love some input... I am a recent grad, and I want to pursue a BS.. Does anyone know of any schools that will accept the DH transfer towards a BS??

rye

What Dh program did you go to? Well I am planning on doing the same.. BS to RDHAP to DDS... if My RDHAP business plan works out the way I want it to it looks like Imma just be using the RDHAP. ummmmmm. as for schools.. Loma Linda and I think Even USC!! Thats why I was asking what school you previously attented.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meand4boys in Spanaway, Washington

54 months ago

I've been looking to go to school to be a DH. In Washington, the average salary is supposedly $92,000 statewide. From the research I've done, it appears that this is much higher than the rest of the country. There is supposed to be so much growth in this field and new job openings and there are really only 3 schools accepting 50-60 students each year within an hour of where I live so the competition doesn't seem like it would be too terrible. I'm definitely going to talk to some people in the field before I make any decisions though. I would love to just go to be a dentist, but with my educational history and the fact that I'm already 25, I think it may be impossible to get into dental school. I know I can get good grades and I'm very intelligent, it's just so tough these days to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in North Hampton, New Hampshire

54 months ago

meand4boys in Spanaway, Washington said: I've been looking to go to school to be a DH. In Washington, the average salary is supposedly $92,000 statewide. From the research I've done, it appears that this is much higher than the rest of the country. There is supposed to be so much growth in this field and new job openings and there are really only 3 schools accepting 50-60 students each year within an hour of where I live so the competition doesn't seem like it would be too terrible. I'm definitely going to talk to some people in the field before I make any decisions though. I would love to just go to be a dentist, but with my educational history and the fact that I'm already 25, I think it may be impossible to get into dental school. I know I can get good grades and I'm very intelligent, it's just so tough these days to get in.

Hi, What is your educational history? I don't think "25" is too old to pursue a career as a "Dentist". If you are intelligent, speak with the Dental schools that interest you, speak with a "real person" in Admissions as to what your background is, and what they look for in candidates for their programs...As far as D.H. in WA...speak with P.T. D.H.'s and temp ag's for Dental to see what the real situation is for D.H.'s in your state...they will give you more of the "real picture" for D.H., than those who are fortunate to find F.T. employment....maybe, also speak with any F.T. D.H.'s, to see what they actually receive for pay and if they have benefits....I feel, that most who are in this field are in 2+ offices and are more likely on their own as far as retirement pkg (investments and savings, on your own). The $92K you mentioned is more likely if you CAN find F.T. employment in this field...What is the cost of living in WA? How much will the Dr. pay you hourly? Do you have to clock out if pt's don't show? Do you have uniform or Cont. Ed allowance, separate from pay? These are all things to consider. GL on your choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

meand4boys in Spanaway, Washington

54 months ago

Good ideas! I think talking with someone in the admissions part of the dental school is a great idea, as is getting the real scoop from those working as DH's in our area. Has anyone heard about any recent changes made to DH's scope of duties recently or in the future? I heard they made some sort of changes to where the DH's are able to do more than they are/were and this is going to increase demand for these positions.
As for my education, I have always been of 'above average intelligence' if you can call it that. Due to problems at home, I dropped out of HS and got my GED (passed with a very good score). Now I've married and have 3 children and am more motivated than I have ever been to try something different and to be successful! I'm currently a Realtor so, as you can imagine, anything looks better than what I'm seeing in my career! Thanks for the ideas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in North Hampton, New Hampshire

54 months ago

meand4boys in Spanaway, Washington said: Good ideas! I think talking with someone in the admissions part of the dental school is a great idea, as is getting the real scoop from those working as DH's in our area. Has anyone heard about any recent changes made to DH's scope of duties recently or in the future? I heard they made some sort of changes to where the DH's are able to do more than they are/were and this is going to increase demand for these positions.
As for my education, I have always been of 'above average intelligence' if you can call it that. Due to problems at home, I dropped out of HS and got my GED (passed with a very good score). Now I've married and have 3 children and am more motivated than I have ever been to try something different and to be successful! I'm currently a Realtor so, as you can imagine, anything looks better than what I'm seeing in my career! Thanks for the ideas!

You're welcome....Pharmacy and Radiology, are good career choices if you like sciences and you are more likely to find employment and BENEFITS with these careers*.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio said: I have been fortunate to work in an office for the past ten years where I was paid a 33% commission rate. DH can get very repetitive and I always viewed the commission as a motivation and reward for hard work. Recently my employer realized I was making way above the average hygiene rate and decided to put me on salary. In all, taking a $13/hr pay-cut. I want to negotiate a fair deal and stay on commission. They seem to think I'm the last hygienist on earth who still works on commission. Am I? And what is fair? Any suggestions about what to do next?

Hi....I work commission in one office 2 days per week in Newark at 40%, excluding only the exam fee or products, such as Sonicare. Anything else goes on my production, even if the assistant takes my patient's xrays when I'm busy. I have been in that office for many years though and my boss will probably retire in the next 5-7 years. He probably doesn't want to go through the hassle of changing anything or the headache I would give him..lol Oh, and the only benefits I have in that office are paid vacation, paid CE classes, and paid uniforms. Works for me...and him, too. He's one of the good guys. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tahmae in San Diego, California

54 months ago

these comments are very helpful but now it has left me doubtful. i recently got out of high school and wanting to pursue a BS in dental hygiene. however, if its not as good as people have stated, i wouldnt know what to do. i want to aim high and get at least a BS and higher, in a medical field with good benefits and decent pay. i have thought of a dentist but id would be too much in debt. what are my options?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

Thanks for that input. It's been a couple weeks since the negotiations. I ended up with the paycut and some incentives for whitening, sonicare, etc. I had to pick up an extra day too in order to compensate for the pay loss. Now I'm fulltime. I cherished that day with my 3 year old. I'm thankful for a job in this economy most of all, but I have a feeling my dentist is joining the "bad-guys" and I haven't seen the last of this. Why pay me when there are hygienists calling for jobs at our office daily? Unfortunately, I've heard this trend is going around. Weed out the higher paid, experienced hygienists and hire the new, desparate ones for less. What to do? Stuck between a rock and hard place for sure. By the way, did I mention that in the new contract the dentist says I have to maintain a happy attitude around the office despite the change? What?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

exp in North Hampton, New Hampshire said: Hi Susann, You receive "benefits", so why in 5-7yrs. would you give him a headache? Do you receive pay increases yearly or so? I know this doesn't happen much in our field with those ready to take your place, but, maybe that will be an alternative instead of commission...and you still have the job at that practice....

Hi exp....the headache he would get would be if he tried to switch me off of commission, not about retiring in 5-7 years. I am expecting that and I will probably retire with him. I love working commission and I would fight tooth and nail to keep it. And the only pay increases I receive are when fees are increased, which usually only happens every 2 or 3 years. There are pros and cons to working strictly commission but it has worked well for me over the years. I work salary in another office also, so it all balances well for me.

How are you faring in your job search? Hope all is well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

Dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio said: Thanks for that input. It's been a couple weeks since the negotiations. I ended up with the paycut and some incentives for whitening, sonicare, etc. I had to pick up an extra day too in order to compensate for the pay loss. Now I'm fulltime. I cherished that day with my 3 year old. I'm thankful for a job in this economy most of all, but I have a feeling my dentist is joining the "bad-guys" and I haven't seen the last of this. Why pay me when there are hygienists calling for jobs at our office daily? Unfortunately, I've heard this trend is going around. Weed out the higher paid, experienced hygienists and hire the new, desparate ones for less. What to do? Stuck between a rock and hard place for sure. By the way, did I mention that in the new contract the dentist says I have to maintain a happy attitude around the office despite the change? What?

You wouldn't happen to know an experienced hygienist that would be available to work a maternity leave in Newark in May and June, would you? Employer prefers someone with experience, that is certified to work without direct supervision and at a fairly quick pace. Patients are sceduled every 40 min. unless more time is needed, which is no problem. And there is a hygiene assistant. 6 hour days...average 9 pts. per day on an normal day. Not sure what the pay is, but I think at least 35.

P.S. Scratch the happy attitude clause out of your contract. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

I know an experienced hygienist who used to work in our office but left recently due to all the changes. She is working part-time currently. I'll ask her if she's interested. What are the hours exactly? I would love the opportunity but cannot since I am now fulltime. Kudo's to your dentist. I USE to feel that love in our office. Originally I was paid 40%, then 33%, and now hourly (capped). It's a whole new way of looking at my job as far as I'm concerned. I appreciated the motivation commission had. Sounds like my situation wasn't that uncommon, especially so close to your location. Thanks for you input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Dissapointed in Columbus, Ohio said: Thanks for that input. It's been a couple weeks since the negotiations. I ended up with the paycut and some incentives for whitening, sonicare, etc. I had to pick up an extra day too in order to compensate for the pay loss. Now I'm fulltime. I cherished that day with my 3 year old. I'm thankful for a job in this economy most of all, but I have a feeling my dentist is joining the "bad-guys" and I haven't seen the last of this. Why pay me when there are hygienists calling for jobs at our office daily? Unfortunately, I've heard this trend is going around. Weed out the higher paid, experienced hygienists and hire the new, desparate ones for less. What to do? Stuck between a rock and hard place for sure. By the way, did I mention that in the new contract the dentist says I have to maintain a happy attitude around the office despite the change? What?

In other words GRIN and BARE IT!!! We have all been there at one time or another. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana

54 months ago

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois said: In other words GRIN and BARE IT!!! We have all been there at one time or another. Good Luck

And keep your eyes and ears open just in case it keeps going downhill. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.