Should I get in this field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Freeman in Williamston, South Carolina

23 months ago

I am thinking about going back to school and becoming a hygenist. Is it worth it? Forbes ranks it pretty high and they pay seems good. I have someone in my family who is already an established dentist. I can most likely work for him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

23 months ago

The answer is "NO". Forbes, Govt/BLS, schools and online articles info. is written by those NOT in DH. They do not know or care about whether or not their info is accurate, which it is NOT, or if you obtain employment after the intense program, etc. you go through. Look at the numerous threads on here and see what's REALLY happening to those who are young to older, recent grad's and the struggle they are having...having BELIEVED this info, including Forbes....NO, DH's heyday has come and gone, it is a hard to find job with alot of backstabbing and no union for grievances. VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

22 months ago

NO! Everything you do to research RDH will say it is a great job with great pay and perks and that RDH are in need. However if you read forums, such as this, you will find out that truth that you should NOT become a RDH! Most RDH work part time only with NO benefits, not even health insurance. It is NOT a good field to get into. Trust me. I have been looking for more work since 2008 and can't find any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHNOW in California

18 months ago

Freeman in Williamston, South Carolina said: I am thinking about going back to school and becoming a hygenist. Is it worth it? Forbes ranks it pretty high and they pay seems good. I have someone in my family who is already an established dentist . I can most likely work for him.

PLEASE, I would like for you to know about my struggle so wouldn't have to go through it yourself after all the hard work and dedication you're gonna have to put yourself in to finally get you Hygiene license. I have been out there trying to find a job since 2009 and no such luck. Unfortunatley there arn't that many available position for so many hygienist applying for a single dental hygenist posting. Find something else you're passionate about doing, this field is getting way harder to make it in and fall back on as a carrer. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHNOW in California

18 months ago

Freeman in Williamston, South Carolina said: I am thinking about going back to school and becoming a hygenist. Is it worth it? Forbes ranks it pretty high and they pay seems good. I have someone in my family who is already an established dentist . I can most likely work for him.

PLEASE, I would like for you to know about my struggles so wouldn't have to go through it yourself. After all the hard work and dedication you're gonna have to put yourself in to finally get you Hygiene license to only end up empty handed. I have been out there trying to find a job since 2009 and no such luck. Unfortunatley there arn't that many available position for so many hygienist applying for a single job posting. Find something else you're passionate about doing, this field is getting way harder to make it in and fall back on as a carrer. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

17 months ago

NO! Don't become a RDH there are no jobs and most are part time with NO benefits (not even health insurance). Don't believe what the government or magazines that have nothing to do with dentistry say about RDH! In all of the USA there are too many hygienists and not enough work! Most hygienists deal with private practice dentists/offices and therefore there isn't any union or guaranteed work or benefits. And most dentists do NOT hire new RDH grads. So every RDH spends years looking for even 1 job, unless you personally know a dentist already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.