Single mom to be. Should I go into Dental Hygiene or Physical Therapist Assistant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

fairy101 in Miami, Florida

74 months ago

I'm confused about which field I should go into. I am currently 8 months pregnant and single but would like to start school ASAP. I already have an AA degree from 10 yrs ago so I need about 48 credits to finish either degree. Not sure which one I'd like the best, have no experience in either field (currently a hair stylist) but would like something that pays more.
Which makes a better salary? Which has a more flexibly schedule? Any opinions are welcomed please, thank you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Still Searching in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

I started dental hygiene school almost into my third trimester and now that my child is almost 3 i am now considering returning to school to possibly become a physical therapy assistant. Finding employment as a RDH is difficult and as I am a single mother also I want more options and flexibility to support my family. I am just starting my research into a career as a pta so please share with me what you find out also. good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

72 months ago

Hi Guys,
For both of you, I would search out other health fields. Dental hygiene is flooded---far too many DH schools pumping out far too many DHs and as a result, jobs are scarce and wages are dropping...but WORSE---JOB SECURITY is effectively GONE now. I would seriously consider other health professions with stronger UNIONS or ASSOCIATIONS who are NOT DEPENDENT on a small businessman calling the shots. Something with more benefits, more job security, more demand and honestly, more integrity. To me, it is a crime to pay all that money to get an education and then have these DH programs LIE to you about 98% job employment when you get out. It IS NOT TRUE. Go for a health profession that is more in charge of its' education and standards.... nursing, nutrition, phyio, OT, etc.... lots of job options within nursing too now....lots of room for further study within nursing that is awesome.... I've loved being a DH...it's been great, but with what has happened within the excessive number of schools/grads, it is SICK to watch the dumbing down of the profession.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.