Stereotypes; are they true???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Sheri in San Antonio, Texas

71 months ago

I have heard that it's hard to get a DH job if you aren't Miss America material. I know it sounds silly but then when I think about it, every DH I have ever been to has been blonde and gorgeous, except for one and that was a guy.

I'm no troll but I'm 37 and will be 40-something by the time I finish school if I go this route. Will being over 40 and, while attractive, looking like an average person be a negative when job searching?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lin in Roseville, Michigan

71 months ago

I don't think so. If anything I think that someone in their 40s would appear more professional, serious about their work, and would be committed; considering that at 40 so much wisdom has already been attained. I graduated last year and some of my colleagues were of that age and are doing just fine in their offices (and they are no blonde bombshells).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in California in San Leandro, California

71 months ago

It just depends on the office you go into, I'm a DA and when I interned the dentist was actually looking for a front office Assistant. He left that task to his office manager and the woman already working in the front. And what you speak of was a problem, after a few of the ladies who interviewed left. I was asked what did I think and they began to gossip or bad mouth the women who came for interviews. My only input was if they were qualified that should be the only thing that mattered but it wasn't. The interviewers seemed to be intimidated for one reason or another by the people they interviewed. So it does happen and I've even experienced it, so if you don't seem to fit a certain mold or criteria. They base hiring you on weather they like you or not, regardless to the work your going to be doing. You may not stand a chance in the interview and I really believe that's the case with most jobs. It's the rare job who basis hiring you on skill alone.

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

70 months ago

It has been my experience that looks and personality have more to do with your interview than skills a lot of the time. I have heard other female staff members gossip about someone who just dropped off a resume or maybe got as far as meeting the staff, never having her resume even looked at and even thrown in the trash. Keep in mind you don't want to work there anyway! First time you're not smiling everything will be your fault. I asked a dr once if he approved of the remarks being made about a total stranger and his answer was "yeah, why not? Gives me a few laughs." And he was paying $200 a week for an ad for an asst.! And once I witnessed a hygienist get fired for not wearing make-up when she had poison ivy. But after 15 years in this field, not much surprises me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grace Kelly in South Dakota

40 months ago

I know this thread is old, but honestly the girls in my hygiene class were not even remotely attractive. Why do people expect hygienists to be beautiful it's not like it's a glamorous job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

40 months ago

Grace Kelly in South Dakota said: I know this thread is old, but honestly the girls in my hygiene class were not even remotely attractive. Why do people expect hygienists to be beautiful it's not like it's a glamorous job.

Because they do not have a full deck...IMO, I think that an employer would like his/her employees to present well; well kept; not overly made-up clean and neat appearance. If they choose to think otherwise, they ? , are not in the real world, rather one of the soaps on TV.

RDHCJ in Connecticut

29 months ago

Sheri in San Antonio, Texas said: I have heard that it's hard to get a DH job if you aren't Miss America material. I know it sounds silly but then when I think about it, every DH I have ever been to has been blonde and gorgeous, except for one and that was a guy.

I'm no troll but I'm 37 and will be 40-something by the time I finish school if I go this route. Will being over 40 and, while attractive, looking like an average person be a negative when job searching?

Age doesn't matter but I think looks do. I think the more attractive hygienists have a better shot at getting the job BUT older hygienists usually fit in better with the rest of the staff so many offices hire the experienced, or older, married hygienist with kids. So just because you are older doesn't mean you won't find work. Actually it can work in your favor because people look at you and assume you have 10-20 years experience...assuming you got your license in your teens or early 20s. The patients will assume you have years of experience working compared to a 20 something year old hygienist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.