THERE ARE NO JOBS---DON'T GO INTO ANY DH PRIVATE SCHOOLS---YOU WON'T GET A JOB!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 105)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

71 months ago

Please....potential DH students....do not go into DH at the present time....there are no jobs...and you paying $42,000.00 for a private school "DH education" in 16 or 18 months is a RIP OFF. Sad thing is, you will be looking with hundreds and thousands of other hygienists who can't find a job....or have a one or two day per week job..... IT IS IRRESPONSIBLE for all these private DH schools to suggest that there are tons of jobs....NOT ANYMORE.....there are tons of DHs and lots of UNEMPLOYED DHs. CHECK it out before you make a decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

71 months ago

Hi 30yr. VET, I agree with you TOTALLY!!! Sad that we can't get through to those thinking "we are trying to save work for ourselves"....WHAT WORK.....TOO MANY AND NOT ENOUGH WORK FOR ........ALL.....REPEAT:...............ALL!!! We do not say what we do to have the work for ourselves, many on here DO HAVE JOBS....but, HATE, that the schools, Govt, online....PUSH, the DH field...it doesn't matter in the REAL world what your GPA was, etc...it's: who can I get with the most experience to work for the least...because they need a job! We are not on a soapbox to say what we do...it's the reality of the field...I even spoke with a Dr. today, who expressed the need for MORE RDH's....and so we have them...
and many are between a rock and a hard place and finding it hard to find work and a way to pay back a LARGE DEBT for their ed's! Go MEDICAL .....NOT dental!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia

71 months ago

I cannot believe that people still want to pursue hygiene as a lifelong "career". The jobs are gone, and until the present surplus of new grads somehow get employed or decide to move on to another source of employment, the job market is going to be extremely tight. I know of a grad who was thrilled to get one day a week. It breaks my heart to hear that. Only one day. That's ridiculous! And so very sad. How can people expect things to improve? There's optimism, but there's also sticking one's head in the sand. There's a big world of opportunity out there--people have to explore other options, and they'd be much better off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia said: I cannot believe that people still want to pursue hygiene as a lifelong "career". The jobs are gone, and until the present surplus of new grads somehow get employed or decide to move on to another source of employment, the job market is going to be extremely tight. I know of a grad who was thrilled to get one day a week. It breaks my heart to hear that. Only one day. That's ridiculous! And so very sad. How can people expect things to improve? There's optimism, but there's also sticking one's head in the sand. There's a big world of opportunity out there--people have to explore other options, and they'd be much better off!

Yes...sad to hear that recent grads are 'thrilled to just get one day a week'. There are literally thousands of 'hygienists' graduating from these 'quick grad DH programs' that have FLOODED the country (both USA and Canada) and with some of them having SUCH LOW ENTRY REQUIREMENTS NEEDED....we have girls/guys getting into a DH program with a 60% average from high school, NO pre professional year of Sciences needed...and only a grade 11 biology mark.....it's become a joke. It used to be you needed HIGH MARKS...a brain....etc....to get in....now...almost ANYONE can get into DH...as long as they bring the tuition money the private DH school OWNERS WANT. The entire situation has become a joke. Getting into a DH program is easy....graduating is now quick.....it's the gettting a job that's become the nightmare.
If you have the brains....a good GPA....and a year of Sciences...look at a real profession that truly is not getting its' education highjacked. It's a real shame, because it did not used to be this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

71 months ago

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia said: I cannot believe that people still want to pursue hygiene as a lifelong "career". The jobs are gone, and until the present surplus of new grads somehow get employed or decide to move on to another source of employment, the job market is going to be extremely tight. I know of a grad who was thrilled to get one day a week. It breaks my heart to hear that. Only one day. That's ridiculous! And so very sad. How can people expect things to improve? There's optimism, but there's also sticking one's head in the sand. There's a big world of opportunity out there--people have to explore other options, and they'd be much better off!

You put it quite well: optimism or sticking your head in the sand. No one likes to admit they've made a mistake and spent 2/3 years training for a job they're not going to obtain and thousands of dollars thrown down the drain as well. Optimism is great if someone doesn't NEED a job upon graduation. If you do, go into another field while your credits will transfer as soon as possible. If you can afford to "wait and see" and not default on loans, go ahead and be optimistic. It's all relevant to one's personal situation. But to all who are counting on a job and in a DH program, have a back-up plan!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: You put it quite well: optimism or sticking your head in the sand. No one likes to admit they've made a mistake and spent 2/3 years training for a job they're not going to obtain and thousands of dollars thrown down the drain as well. Optimism is great if someone doesn't NEED a job upon graduation. If you do, go into another field while your credits will transfer as soon as possible. If you can afford to "wait and see" and not default on loans, go ahead and be optimistic. It's all relevant to one's personal situation. But to all who are counting on a job and in a DH program, have a back-up plan!

Hi Suzanne, Unfortunately, WE are negative and not rosey to those ONLY thinking of DH as their passion or career...so, sand it is...sad :-( . I think to encourage , which many of us do in our way, to try DA for a start...and then maybe they'll have a position to go to after DH training....Depression to me NOT a recession, not attrition of the older RDH's...no absorbing the many...how many years til we recover in pay, available work with a set income....not anytime in the next 10 yrs...MO (and I think it's also the "opinion" of many who've gotten....)by the system, govt, online articles tutting this field: written by NON-RDH's, and the schools...stop listening to the Dr.'s...they got their wish, so please cut-back on the students accepted into programs...as colleagues....Sorry to Van Gough again S. 24yr VET/exp...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Lloydminster, Alberta

71 months ago

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire said: Hi Suzanne, Unfortunately, WE are negative and not rosey to those ONLY thinking of DH as their passion or career...so, sand it is...sad :-( . I think to encourage , which many of us do in our way, to try DA for a start...and then maybe they'll have a position to go to after DH training....Depression to me NOT a recession, not attrition of the older RDH's...no absorbing the many...how many years til we recover in pay, available work with a set income....not anytime in the next 10 yrs...MO (and I think it's also the "opinion" of many who've gotten....)by the system, govt, online articles tutting this field: written by NON-RDH's, and the schools...stop listening to the Dr.'s...they got their wish, so please cut-back on the students accepted into programs...as colleagues....Sorry to Van Gough again S. 24yr VET/exp...

Yes...it is really sad that schools are advertising on some of their sites "98% employment after graduating"....that is SO NOT TRUE....but sadly, potential students believe it and after graduating are finding out the measly 1 or 2 days of work they get per week is ALL THEY MIGHT GET...... Pretty tough to pay your $42,000.00 private DH school fees with!! (The school of course, doesn't tell you that though---they just want your tuition money!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StaceyinDetroit in Detroit, Michigan

71 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Yes...sad to hear that recent grads are 'thrilled to just get one day a week'. There are literally thousands of 'hygienists' graduating from these 'quick grad DH programs' that have FLOODED the country (both USA and Canada) and with some of them having SUCH LOW ENTRY REQUIREMENTS NEEDED....we have girls/guys getting into a DH program with a 60% average from high school, NO pre professional year of Sciences needed...and only a grade 11 biology mark.....it's become a joke. It used to be you needed HIGH MARKS...a brain....etc....to get in....now...almost ANYONE can get into DH...as long as they bring the tuition money the private DH school OWNERS WANT. The entire situation has become a joke. Getting into a DH program is easy....graduating is now quick.....it's the gettting a job that's become the nightmare.
If you have the brains....a good GPA....and a year of Sciences...look at a real profession that truly is not getting its' education highjacked. It's a real shame, because it did not used to be this way.

yeah and it's sad how most of the girls in your graduating class cheated on tests and acted like they were so smart and were suck ups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanda13 in Grande Prairie, Alberta

71 months ago

Hello I have done some shadowing and was starting to take my pre prefessional sciences to apply to University of Alberta Dental Hygiene program. I want to go the degree route so i have the opportunity to specialize in my final year. Do you think that taking the degree route will be better? I have no desire to attend those accelerated programs. I believe that you get a way better education at a university and that your a better potential employee. I am making the right decision right? I just love the career i have done some shadowing and really enjoy it. I feel as im making the right choice with going for the degree? What do you people think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ProudPrivateGrad in Brantford, Ontario

71 months ago

To everyone who says 18 months is a 'quickie' program, I just wanted to point out that there is no summer break in that stretch of time, so the reality is that although the elapsed time is less than a typical 2 year community school program, the actual 'in school' time works out to be about 1 month longer than a a 2 year diploma!

BTW a 2 year diploma does not actually span 2 years either. If you start in September and finish in May that works out to 20 months from start to finish. Factor in the 4 month summer break which you don't get in a 'quickie' program, not to mention xmas break, spring break, etc. and you actually spend LESS 'in school' time in a community program!

I started at a private 'accredited' college in December and finished in June versus a community program that would have started in September and finished in May. I had only two 2-week breaks throughout the 18 month session.

It was a very tough program. I went into it already having acquired a 4 year university degree in computer science, so I know what tough is. I am sure not all the private schools are decent, but the one that I went to was. Please don't lump us all into the same category.

'Quickie' schools can pump out more students because they are based on a 6-month intake (versus yearly for a community college)and thus every 6 months can produce more grads. The students spend MORE time, not LESS, and only see an actual 2 month reduction in elapsed time from start to finish. Sheesh...glad I cleared that up!

The profession is going down the tubes, not because of a decrease in quality of new RDH's, but because of the law of supply and demand. When supply goes up, value goes down which results in us receiving less $ and less respect. I did not need 1st year university economics to figure that one out.

BTW, I am unemployed and thinking of upgrading my computer skills and getting back into IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

DH in Calgary, Alberta

71 months ago

[QUOTE who="ProudPrivateGrad in Brantford,
The profession is going down the tubes, not because of a decrease in quality of new RDH's, but because of the law of supply and demand. When supply goes up, value goes down which results in us receiving less $ and less respect. I did not need 1st year university economics to figure that one out.

Maybe a first year economics course would have helped you realize that the reason supply is up is because of these private schools pumping out underqualified undereducated grads saturating the market. Accredited or not your lack of sciences background (required for university or public courses) is what made the course difficult. Even if you feel your course was "decent" private schools have a bad reputation and are getting worse. Too bad you didn't realize that prior to entering the program. GL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ProudPrivateGrad in Brantford, Ontario

71 months ago

I have a bachelor of science(4 years Honour program) majoring in computer science and graduated on the dean's list. Take my word for it, the accredited private school program I graduated from in ONTARIO, AFTER completing my university degree, was a challenge!

I am sorry I even replied to any of the comments on this forum. I have better things to do than keep defending myself and the private accredited school I graduated from in ONTARIO, such as look for a job and/or consider retraining.

Best of luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

disappointed in Nanaimo, British Columbia

71 months ago

amanda13 in Grande Prairie, Alberta said: Hello I have done some shadowing and was starting to take my pre prefessional sciences to apply to University of Alberta Dental Hygiene program. I want to go the degree route so i have the opportunity to specialize in my final year. Do you think that taking the degree route will be better? I have no desire to attend those accelerated programs. I believe that you get a way better education at a university and that your a better potential employee. I am making the right decision right? I just love the career i have done some shadowing and really enjoy it. I feel as im making the right choice with going for the degree? What do you people think?

You are crazy - there are no jobs and a degree won't get you any further. Dentists want production - your education does not matter unless you manage to find an anomoly. The pay is reducing quickly - the DH fee guide has not changed in years and dentists are talking amongst oneanother and know what others are paying. You will be lucky to get 1 or two days a week and then when your loans become due you will find yourself completely in financial crisis.

Become a nurse.....they always have work! oh and remember the one cost that you are thinking of is education - double that expense to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Douglas, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I am currently in a 2 year dental hygiene program and I am wondering if it may be a better idea to switch to dental lab tech. I'm only in my first semester and although my grades are very good, I am unsure if this is right for me.

I pretty much have two options:

A: I could finish the two years of dental hygiene school and then try and find a job and if I can't I could possibly work as a dental assistant and/or go back to school for dental lab tech

B: I'm hoping that even though I would have only finished my first semester as a Dental Hygienist, I may be able to find a job as Dental Assistant while I go to school to become a dental lab tech.

Here my pros/cons of lab tech:

Pro:
behind the scenes not dealing w/people
seems like better job security (although is any job ever secure?)

Cons:
pay is less than dental hygienist
school is over a 2hr commute one way (and I would have to wait till next fall to start)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

71 months ago

ProudPrivateGrad in Brantford, Ontario said: To everyone who says 18 months is a 'quickie' program, I just wanted to point out that there is no summer break in that stretch of time, so the reality is that although the elapsed time is less than a typical 2 year community school program, the actual 'in school' time works out to be about 1 month longer than a a 2 year diploma!

Well you're still wrong. Most DH programs in the rest of Canada and the USA are actually 3 years long, not two years, because they require a pre-professional year in which you must take a core of specified courses and admit you based on GPA. Ontario is off the wagon on requiring this ... to the detriment of patients' health and to the detriment of every RDH in Ontario's education.
Heck, you guys don't even get trained on local anaesthetic, which is a basic skill needed to perform competent comprehensive dental hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in Calgary, Alberta

71 months ago

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: Well you're still wrong. Most DH programs in the rest of Canada and the USA are actually 3 years long, not two years, because they require a pre-professional year in which you must take a core of specified courses and admit you based on GPA. Ontario is off the wagon on requiring this ... to the detriment of patients' health and to the detriment of every RDH in Ontario's education.
Heck, you guys don't even get trained on local anaesthetic, which is a basic skill needed to perform competent comprehensive dental hygiene.

Maybe if the dentists in Ontario were not so controlling and restrictive, hygienists would be able enjoy performing all the fuctions allowed in the west.

So much for being self-regulated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

rdh in Calgary, Alberta said: Maybe if the dentists in Ontario were not so controlling and restrictive, hygienists would be able enjoy performing all the fuctions allowed in the west.

So much for being self-regulated.

Greedy too? Most likely for 3/4 of them IMO. Money in THEIR pockets for vaca, 2nd or 3rd house, toys...still don't know why the associations in Canada and USA WON'T do something on behalf of the many struggling to work, live, payback loans...I know there are MANY other things to ad to this list...very sad. I'm presently working PPT with the many, at least their are some who see that skills and age are beneficial to their practices...always telemarketing my resume, etc...staying current, just that I don't look 20 something anymore...could pass for late 30's though :-).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rlb in Defuniak Springs, Florida

70 months ago

I have been reading all of these comments and would like to ask? Is there any pros to going into dental hygiene right now? I mean the market is said to go up( considering the baby boomers are aging and the medical field will grow)Can anyone give me some good advice, because I have gotten all my pre-reqs done, they are not wonderful but there, and I needed a steady job( and I love people). Is Dental hygiene something I should consider doing or should I look into something else? Also, if I do hygiene, should I first go into assisting then go on to hygiene?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BBB in Sarnia, Ontario

70 months ago

so many people here blame private schools to pump but be aware 18 months
or 2 years are not different. Compared to professinal dental school, they all
are crap. So dont argue each other here. the point is the collage of DH want to trash DH. that is it

ProudPrivateGrad in Brantford, Ontario said: I have a bachelor of science(4 years Honour program) majoring in computer science and graduated on the dean's list. Take my word for it, the accredited private school program I graduated from in ONTARIO, AFTER completing my university degree, was a challenge!

I am sorry I even replied to any of the comments on this forum. I have better things to do than keep defending myself and the private accredited school I graduated from in ONTARIO, such as look for a job and/or consider retraining.

Best of luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BBB in Sarnia, Ontario

70 months ago

so many people here blame private schools to pump but be aware 18 months
or 2 years are not different. Compared to professinal dental school, they all
are crap. So dont argue each other here. the point is the collage of DH want to trash DH. that is it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tgpii in Orland Park, Illinois

70 months ago

College charges you to learn a so called job skill. Then after college you can't get a job. In the military they pay you to learn a job skill then give you a job afterwords. Why is that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DH in Didsbury, Alberta

70 months ago

PrivatePride in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Don't be mad that it took you guys 2 years to learn what we could learn in 18 months.....

You don't get it...our profession is in the craps now because of quickie schools that have reduced it to a freakin trade and the private schools are to blame. Way I figure it is if you were serious about DH you would have put the time in and not been scared to apply and get into a decent public program. You took the lazy way, plain and simple. Just hard to respect you as a collegue when we took the university required courses, did the interview and got into a program that took the "cream of the crop" so to speak. Why would we be mad? No jobs, lesser wages, no respect anymore for our profession...that's right PrivatePride, we're only mad because you learned it all in 18 months. WOW. Welcome to dental hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

rlb in Defuniak Springs, Florida said: I have been reading all of these comments and would like to ask? Is there any pros to going into dental hygiene right now? I mean the market is said to go up( considering the baby boomers are aging and the medical field will grow)Can anyone give me some good advice, because I have gotten all my pre-reqs done, they are not wonderful but there, and I needed a steady job( and I love people). Is Dental hygiene something I should consider doing or should I look into something else? Also, if I do hygiene, should I first go into assisting then go on to hygiene?

Hi, Go for DA, and not RDH...because if you spend your hard earned money and time on DH school, you will be one of the many, for many years to come not finding gainful empl = regular set work/paycheck/ben/sick-vaca days or JOB SECURITY....don't believe the schools, articles online or govt (BLS) on what you hear about the DH field...LIES....they don't care about you or your future. DH's are struggling, that have recently graduated and the backstabbing of colleagues is a real situation...DH is dying a slow death, and many Dr.'s have put us there! No unions...do you really want to have a struggle to pay your bills, food, apt...? NOT worth it, not rosey for us...to those who say I'm negative, I'm a realist...and their are many on here that agree that have good offices they are working in that say DH is past it's hayday(sp)....if those who say don't deter(sp) those and their dreams...how about you leave your nice positions and see if you are able to get another great office...I highly doubt you will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

rlb in Defuniak Springs, Florida

70 months ago

Thank you exp for your honesty! I am so glad I am hearing this now, I really appreciate your comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PrivatePride in Burnaby, British Columbia

70 months ago

DH in Didsbury, Alberta said: You don't get it...our profession is in the craps now because of quickie schools that have reduced it to a freakin trade and the private schools are to blame. Way I figure it is if you were serious about DH you would have put the time in and not been scared to apply and get into a decent public program. You took the lazy way, plain and simple. Just hard to respect you as a collegue when we took the university required courses, did the interview and got into a program that took the "cream of the crop" so to speak. Why would we be mad? No jobs, lesser wages, no respect anymore for our profession...that's right PrivatePride, we're only mad because you learned it all in 18 months. WOW. Welcome to dental hygiene.

People have different priorities. I take DH very seriously, but why would I waste my time in a traditional program when I can graduate faster by attending a private institution? Yes, the tuition is expensive, but I also started working earlier. We go through the same board exams as other hygienists and are held up to the same standards. I didn't find being a private school grad hindered my employment opportunities. When I applied to jobs, I've always had working interviews so the docs could see that I was good at what I do. I really don't understand how this message board can be so negative. It's always the SAME OLD DHs complaining about everything in this profession. When I graduated, the market was saturated. But I had a positive attitude and great passion for the job. I was offered 2 positions, one at a pedo office and one at a perio office. No benefits, but the pay is good (40-45/h). I LOVE my work and the DMDs that I work for. I think its natural for people to complain about their bosses, but the comments on this board are just ridiculous. Do you expect these doctors to work for free?!? They've got overheads to cover and student loans to pay off. If they are not making money, you wouldn't have a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

For people who are interested in the field, there are good and bad sides to any job. I personally couldn't be happier. I work with kids 3 days/week at a pedo office and love it there. I also work 1.5 days at a perio office. I have friends in nursing and I'm definitely glad I didn't chose that field. When you first start, the wages are very low (~25/h). They doctors treat you like a maid and even the med school students see you as a second class citizen. You are blamed for the doctor's mistakes and some of the tasks delegated to you are definitely not glamorous (disimpaction anyone?) Yes they have benefits, but besides dental, what other benefits do you need??? I pay into my RRSP every year and healthcare is free in canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

PrivatePride in Burnaby, British Columbia said: People have different priorities. I take DH very seriously, but why would I waste my time in a traditional program when I can graduate faster by attending a private institution? Yes, the tuition is expensive, but I also started working earlier. We go through the same board exams as other hygienists and are held up to the same standards. I didn't find being a private school grad hindered my employment opportunities. When I applied to jobs, I've always had working interviews so the docs could see that I was good at what I do. I really don't understand how this message board can be so negative. It's always the SAME OLD DHs complaining about everything in this profession. When I graduated, the market was saturated. But I had a positive attitude and great passion for the job. I was offered 2 positions, one at a pedo office and one at a perio office. No benefits, but the pay is good (40-45/h). I LOVE my work and the DMDs that I work for. I think its natural for people to complain about their bosses, but the comments on this board are just ridiculous. Do you expect these doctors to work for free?!? They've got overheads to cover and student loans to pay off. If they are not making money, you wouldn't have a job!

Your suggestion of "why would I waste my time in a traditional program".....is evidence of your lack of understanding of the issues at hand. What has happened as a result of too many DH schools opening up in ontario (34) there has been a FLOODING of the market with way too many grads....Ontario graduating 1100 grads PER YEAR in DH is outrageous! This was a GREAT PROFESSION....wonderful.....now....ANYONE with ANY MARKS can GET INTO ANY PROGRAM IN ONTARIO.....the standards are DOWN....the education required is minimal....you don't even need a year of sciences to get in or a HIGH GPA.....it's become a 'trade'....like hairstyling....or doing nails...."no smarts required".....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I recently went to a talk given by the Registrar of the College of Dental Hygienists of British Columbia. She took over the job in 2007. At that time there were 1700 hygienists in BC. Now there are 3200, almost double the amount of only 3 years ago. Food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia said: I recently went to a talk given by the Registrar of the College of Dental Hygienists of British Columbia. She took over the job in 2007. At that time there were 1700 hygienists in BC. Now there are 3200, almost double the amount of only 3 years ago. Food for thought.

Hi rdh4, Did you comment to her of the lack of jobs, etc. that Canada, BC and the USA's RDH's are struggling to find decent set employment with a decent salary, or this sites threads? If you can , please inform her as well as any students or potential students of this mess we're in....did you speak with any potential students out of earshot of these speakers? What did you tell them if you were able to speak with them? Why are these schools continuing this insanity....I'm not saying close programs all together, but LIMIT the number of students in each year...so maybe all will find a job with decent pay...etc....this makes sense and they still receive money for their programs....oh, I forgot the GREED FACTOR...is your DH org. any better up there...in the USA, my feeling is....not doing squat or there would be legislation and or a UNION to help us to keep our jobs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia said: I recently went to a talk given by the Registrar of the College of Dental Hygienists of British Columbia. She took over the job in 2007. At that time there were 1700 hygienists in BC. Now there are 3200, almost double the amount of only 3 years ago. Food for thought.

Yes...the flooding of DHs in BC and Alberta and across the country is regrettable. What did the BC DH Association SAY ABOUT IT though....? WHat did they say in terms of restricting the number of DH schools opening up and restricting the number of DHs accepted into all these programs...? In Alberta, we still only have one place to take dental hygiene--University of Alberta with a preprofessional year of sciences and a HIGH GPA to get in.....but now in BC there are 7 DH schools....WHAT is your association doing about that???

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario

70 months ago

In Ontario we would welcome 3200 as the number of registered dental hygienists.
Here is the latest in Ontario, Registration statistics as of September 30, 2010: General certificate 10,652; Inactive certificate 527; Specialty certificate 737 and authorized to self-initiate 3,104.

So that is a WHOPPING 14,000! that are active. Still, we see students lined up to take the
dental hygiene course. How many will be registered in 2 years in Ontario? I am guessing we will be up another 2000, as we know that it will be in 2013 before all the non-accredited schools shut down, and even then we will still see a very high number of new grads per year. Most hygienists will never ever see a raise again. This includes those that are currently taking lowball wages of 30.00 per hour. There is just no reason that
will motivate a dentist to give the hygienist a raise.

All the other provinces will also be affected by this surplus as these unemployed hygienists
relocate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

nojobs in Mississauga, Ontario said: In Ontario we would welcome 3200 as the number of registered dental hygienists.
Here is the latest in Ontario, Registration statistics as of September 30, 2010: General certificate 10,652; Inactive certificate 527; Specialty certificate 737 and authorized to self-initiate 3,104.

So that is a WHOPPING 14,000! that are active. Still, we see students lined up to take the
dental hygiene course. How many will be registered in 2 years in Ontario? I am guessing we will be up another 2000, as we know that it will be in 2013 before all the non-accredited schools shut down, and even then we will still see a very high number of new grads per year. Most hygienists will never ever see a raise again. This includes those that are currently taking lowball wages of 30.00 per hour. There is just no reason that
will motivate a dentist to give the hygienist a raise.

All the other provinces will also be affected by this surplus as these unemployed hygienists
relocate.

Wow...those numbers are disturbing. It should be clear that the oversaturation that Ontario has allowed is foremost at the heart of the problem. I wish other provinces could keep them from practicing in their province, then maybe Ontario would cut back to keep their students 'working'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Disappointed in Dental in Victoria, British Columbia

69 months ago

PrivatePride in Burnaby, British Columbia said: For people who are interested in the field, there are good and bad sides to any job. I personally couldn't be happier. I work with kids 3 days/week at a pedo office and love it there. I also work 1.5 days at a perio office. I have friends in nursing and I'm definitely glad I didn't chose that field. When you first start, the wages are very low (~25/h). They doctors treat you like a maid and even the med school students see you as a second class citizen. You are blamed for the doctor's mistakes and some of the tasks delegated to you are definitely not glamorous (disimpaction anyone?) Yes they have benefits, but besides dental, what other benefits do you need??? I pay into my RRSP every year and healthcare is free in canada.

PrivatePride... in another thread you bragged about being paid $45/hr at your perio position... now I see it's only 1.5 days per week... how much are you making at the pedo office? I have been in the dental profession for many years and I find it hard to believe a pedodontist would hire an RDH over a CDA to do virtually the same job... most DMDs/DDSs I know prefer to flick off the little bit of supra calc a child may have at their exam rather than tie up a hygienists time... are these your only experiences in the dental profession? On the note of benefits... healthcare is NOT free (we pay premiums)... plus, extended plans can pay for: Rxs, optical & orthodontics, just to name a few. It sounds as if you are single with no dependants... for those of us who have families, these costs add up, not to mention due to our cost of raising a family, we have less money to put into RRSPs... YES, a pension plan would make a difference. I agree with you regarding the treatment of some nurses; however, I believe they have more avenues to explore than just hospital settings as compared to RDHs, who have some, but not many, options other than private practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Disappointed in Dental in Victoria, British Columbia said: PrivatePride... in another thread you bragged about being paid $45/hr at your perio position... now I see it's only 1.5 days per week... how much are you making at the pedo office? I have been in the dental profession for many years and I find it hard to believe a pedodontist would hire an RDH over a CDA to do virtually the same job... most DMDs/DDSs I know prefer to flick off the little bit of supra calc a child may have at their exam rather than tie up a hygienists time... are these your only experiences in the dental profession?

I'm making 43/h plus benefits. I don't know about victoria, but in Vancouver, Pedo offices take kids from 0-18 years of age. I mainly see kids 10 and up for their hygiene appointments. This job gets a bit hectic at times since I see up to 15 patients/day. At my office CDAs are NOT allowed to do any sort of scaling. I was very fortunate to be hired by a large pedo chain with a very generous boss. We get all expense paid trips every year to dental conventions (Hawaii, LA, NYC etc) and get all of our CE courses paid for. RDHs should start looking at pedo offices for employment opportunities. I don't know if our chain is hiring anymore, since the DMDs are really focused on establishing patient relationships and staff retention. If the DMDs need my hygiene appointments, they usually ask their existing staff if anyone would like to pick up a few more hours before hiring someone new. I think the key is for RDHs to work in specialist offices. Since the specialists charge more, they are willing to pay higher wages. Also, specialists always have huge waiting lists, so there's no shortage of patients to keep the hygienists busy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Montreal, Quebec

69 months ago

Hi you all;

I am thinking of opening my own practice, I would like to get in contact with someone who has started, would you please e-mail me at happyu@cheerful.com I appreciate it.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

69 months ago

Happy in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi you all;

I am thinking of opening my own practice, I would like to get in contact with someone who has started, would you please e-mail me at happyu@cheerful.com I appreciate it.

Thank you

There are independent webpages you can visit in ON and AB, also some of the provincial colleges list private practitioners on their sites.
www.mydentalhygienist.ca is one for AB

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida

67 months ago

DH in Calgary, Alberta said: [QUOTE who="ProudPrivateGrad in Brantford,

Maybe a first year economics course would have helped you realize that the reason supply is up is because of these private schools pumping out underqualified undereducated grads saturating the market. Accredited or not your lack of sciences background (required for university or public courses) is what made the course difficult. Even if you feel your course was "decent" private schools have a bad reputation and are getting worse. Too bad you didn't realize that prior to entering the program. GL.

hello,

there are 4 schools around here that offers dental hygiene program and they are WITHING 1:15 MINS OF EACH OTHER!!!! talk about super saturated. take this as a warning all potential future jobless hygienist.

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

67 months ago

Disapointed in Dental...you're absolutely right. no DDS would hire a DH over a CDA. Plus we don't have pedo "chain' practices. As far as I know, there are no corporate owned dental anything in Canada.

I believe Privatepride to be associated to private schools, and may be the same person as Sandra, AMANDA, RDHmom, Alena etc. And obviously from the States. She/he/it doesn't know anything about our health care in regards to dental - not Canadian.

If what you're reading doesn't make sense, do what you did - question it. Everyone should question EVERYTHING that's posted. Do your RESEARCH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

There are a lot of chain dental companies in Ontario and a few in BC. I understand in Ontario, one chain owns 60 offices. In the lower mainland, the AARM chain has about 150-20 offices. Like most practices in BC, they indeed 'corporations,' but the common shares must be held by dentists. (preferred shares can be held by anyone) In some cases the owners don't even practice, but have a MBA in addition to their DMD.

I also find it suspicious that a pedo office would employ a number of hygienists, and pay them over the average + fly them to Hawaii and Vegas every year. Plenty of 16-17 year olds need a hygienist-quality scaling, though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

typo
AARM - has 15-20 offices

kgbigg@*****.*** in Chappaqua, New York

67 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Please....potential DH students....do not go into DH at the present time....there are no jobs...and you paying $42,000.00 for a private school "DH education" in 16 or 18 months is a RIP OFF. Sad thing is, you will be looking with hundreds and thousands of other hygienists who can't find a job....or have a one or two day per week job..... IT IS IRRESPONSIBLE for all these private DH schools to suggest that there are tons of jobs....NOT ANYMORE.....there are tons of DHs and lots of UNEMPLOYED DHs. CHECK it out before you make a decision.

Wow i am so happy that iam not alone. Ihave searching for a job as a RDH for aprox. 2 1/2 yea5rs now and i am thinking of going more toward a change of career i might be forced too Thank You!

67 months ago

kgbigg:
I would sincerely suggest that you follow up on your thoughts, that is, to go for a change of career. Hygiene's day is over; just read the other threads from people who have years of experience in this industry. The jobs are gone. Wages are going down. No benefits, no job security, no nothing.
Be proactive; look into applying your credits towards another program of studies, meet with a career counselor, do aptitude tests and see where your other interests lie.
I'm truly sorry that this hasn't worked out for you. It is NOT a reflection upon you or your abilities; there are simply too many hygienists in the marketplace. Period. Our associations have let us down. They have not addressed this fiasco, even when prodded.
If you put hygiene behind you and start a new life in something else, you'll be much better off and much happier. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kgbigg@*****.*** in Chappaqua, New York

67 months ago

Well I truly thank you for your input, it has helped me tremendously. I appreciate you for putting the fact's out there and warning the younger generation of potential dental hygienist.I hope that our career will be noticed that we play an important role in the health care system. Thank You once again. KGRDH

Employed new grad RDH in Saint Albert, Alberta

67 months ago

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: Well you're still wrong. Most DH programs in the rest of Canada and the USA are actually 3 years long, not two years, because they require a pre-professional year in which you must take a core of specified courses and admit you based on GPA. Ontario is off the wagon on requiring this ... to the detriment of patients' health and to the detriment of every RDH in Ontario's education.

And how long ago did that become legal in Alberta and bc? Not very long ago. Are you saying every vet rdh that was not trained in local cannot provide comprehensive care?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Disappointed in Dental in Victoria, British Columbia

67 months ago

Employed new grad RDH in Saint Albert, Alberta said: And how long ago did that become legal in Alberta and bc? Not very long ago. Are you saying every vet rdh that was not trained in local cannot provide comprehensive care?

"Not that long ago" you say... how educated you sound. I am not sure when LA exactly became part of BC RDH's scope of practice, but it has been as long as I have been working... over 16 years. How long does one have to be in practice before one is considered a "vet"? Standards are changed to provide better care for our patients and in this, Ontario is lacking. This is all skrrrrrr is trying to say... no need to pick fights.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

feistychic in Vacaville, California

67 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: You put it quite well: optimism or sticking your head in the sand. No one likes to admit they've made a mistake and spent 2/3 years training for a job they're not going to obtain and thousands of dollars thrown down the drain as well. Optimism is great if someone doesn't NEED a job upon graduation. If you do, go into another field while your credits will transfer as soon as possible. If you can afford to "wait and see" and not default on loans, go ahead and be optimistic. It's all relevant to one's personal situation. But to all who are counting on a job and in a DH program, have a back-up plan!

I normally reply to the nursing posts but happened to be reading theses and I am glad to say that I used to be a dental assistant and wanted to be a hygienist but could not get into the school. I found it easier to go to nursing school-which is was against because I had no interest. But now that I'm an RN I'm so glad I never got accepted into dental hygiene and find my job as a nurse more rewarding/fullfilling than the dental field. The prerequisites are the same-from my experience,but you might have trouble finding a job in a hospital and have to work in skilled nursing facilities/nursing homes til you can get a hospital job. Just a thought.

jennylam510

67 months ago

Hi all,

I am a new grad hygienist. I am very sad and disappointed that there are no jobs out there at all. I cant even remember how many resumes I have dropped off, and I was hoping that they would call,but NO! Nothing! Some dentists even told me that they are looking for some hygienists with at least one year experience. That pissed me off. Why does not school clinic experiences count? Students do cleaning, x-ray and etc, we are taught to be a hygienist. If dentists don't give us (new grads) a CHANCE, then where and how do they expect us to have experiences? I am still soooooooooo sad, I can't even sleep at night!!!

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

67 months ago

jennylam...sorry to hear of your situation. Do you have DA skills? Can you look into taking some...if you can this might aide in possibly finding some work....also, when you drop off resumes or business cards, take one of theirs and write you you spoke with on the back , if you thought the offices appearance was decent...etc...ask if you could speak briefly with the Dr. if you wait to put a face with your resume...sometimes, in MOST cases it is hard to get past the front desk....google, get back to those offices for another "hello...". I'm sure you are doing all you can, unfortunately the schools are a business and don't tell potential students of the employment situation...they want to keep their jobs!...Are you also, near enough to another state, while material is fresh in your mind, it might be a good idea to obtain a DH license in another state...look at willing to train DA jobs also, and let them know as far at being an RDH: you can be on call, last minute...to get your foot in the door. If you have friends in offices, ask them if they can call on you to sub for them if needed...25yr VET

67 months ago

jennylam...sorry to hear of your situation. Do you have DA skills? Can you look into taking some...if you can this might aide in possibly finding some work....also, when you drop off resumes or business cards, take one of theirs and write you you spoke with on the back , if you thought the offices appearance was decent...etc...ask if you could speak briefly with the Dr. if you wait to put a face with your resume...sometimes, in MOST cases it is hard to get past the front desk....google, get back to those offices for another "hello...". I'm sure you are doing all you can, unfortunately the schools are a business and don't tell potential students of the employment situation...they want to keep their jobs!...Are you also, near enough to another state, while material is fresh in your mind, it might be a good idea to obtain a DH license in another state...look at willing to train DA jobs also, and let them know as far at being an RDH: you can be on call, last minute...to get your foot in the door. If you have friends in offices, ask them if they can call on you to sub for them if needed...25yr VET

67 months ago

Sorry for the double of the above...computer acting up.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.