Temp Agencies in BC?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

veenee in Vancouver, British Columbia

60 months ago

Hello Again,

Would anyone be able to rhyme off some great temp agencies to work for? I know its slow right now, but I figured might as well give it a shot!!! KEEP POSITIVE!!!!!!

Thanks mucho!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

60 months ago

veenee in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Hello Again,

Would anyone be able to rhyme off some great temp agencies to work for? I know its slow right now, but I figured might as well give it a shot!!! KEEP POSITIVE!!!!!!

Thanks mucho!

Try "googling" Dental Hygiene Temp. Agencies in BC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

60 months ago

in BC or in Van?

It's wise to be wary of the temp agencies. They are profiting from a process which can be delivered free of charge. They take a cut of your pay off the top, and some will make you sign a contract such that you cannot work for anyone without going through the agency and ensuring the agency is paid its pound of flesh.

Here in Victoria, the good news is that the temp agencies have been sent a dead fish and put on ice. The local hygiene association runs a free email list-serv sent to all hygienists. Most of the hygiene jobs, esp last-minute temping spots, are posted on this list-serv, along with hygienist advertising their availability for temping. I have taken many one-day gigs at other offices myself, and have done plenty of recruiting through it for our offices. You simple need to contact the list-serv coordinator and she will add your email to the list. NO middle-man.

exp in Massachusetts

60 months ago

skrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: in BC or in Van?

It's wise to be wary of the temp agencies. They are profiting from a process which can be delivered free of charge. They take a cut of your pay off the top, and some will make you sign a contract such that you cannot work for anyone without going through the agency and ensuring the agency is paid its pound of flesh.

Here in Victoria, the good news is that the temp agencies have been sent a dead fish and put on ice. The local hygiene association runs a free email list-serv sent to all hygienists. Most of the hygiene jobs, esp last-minute temping spots, are posted on this list-serv, along with hygienist advertising their availability for temping. I have taken many one-day gigs at other offices myself, and have done plenty of recruiting through it for our offices. You simple need to contact the list-serv coordinator and she will add your email to the list. NO middle-man.

Regarding "only going through them...." I believe is to offices that they have sent you to....not ANY office that you have not been placed by them... I'd recommend that this R.D.H. have resumes on hand and Google towns, etc. she is interested in and then go leave resumes there...sometimes an office will try calling you first if they have your resume..."chaching=save the agencies fee". Know the going rate in the areas and the offices that are decent employers too! GL

60 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Regarding "only going through them...." I believe is to offices that they have sent you to....not ANY office that you have not been placed by them... I'd recommend that this R.D.H. have resumes on hand and Google towns, etc. she is interested in and then go leave resumes there...sometimes an office will try calling you first if they have your resume..."chaching=save the agencies fee". Know the going rate in the areas and the offices that are decent employers too! GL

Perhaps other agencies are better behaved, but we had a nasty agent around here who did indeed try to enforce just such a policy. If one of her temps went out and contacted a dentist on her own, the temp agent would send threatening letters demanding payments - especially if we went ahead and hired the hygienist full-time. She also demanded contracts from the dentists which required that we could not hire anyone on our own! Her company was called Dental Fill-Ins Personnel (DFI), and I recommend avoiding that company (the principle has moved out of the business, I've heard). I suspect it was her bad behaviour that motivated the hygienists to set up their own list-serv for temps and recruiting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

60 months ago

skrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: Perhaps other agencies are better behaved, but we had a nasty agent around here who did indeed try to enforce just such a policy. If one of her temps went out and contacted a dentist on her own, the temp agent would send threatening letters demanding payments - especially if we went ahead and hired the hygienist full-time. She also demanded contracts from the dentists which required that we could not hire anyone on our own! Her company was called Dental Fill-Ins Personnel (DFI), and I recommend avoiding that company (the principle has moved out of the business, I've heard). I suspect it was her bad behaviour that motivated the hygienists to set up their own list-serv for temps and recruiting.

Regarding "contacting a Dr. on her own...I believe that it probably pertained to : if the temp. ag. placed her with Dr. B's office...the temp. can only go to that office through the ag...this is standard...but the temp. ag. does not have the right to control a R.D.H.'s right to work in an office she did not go through the temp. ag ....P.S. Any "new" R.D.H.'s ...ALWAYS read all paperwork for temp. ag's BEFORE signing! Precaution for you. GL

job hunting in Nanaimo, British Columbia

60 months ago

how do you get on the local hygiene association mailing list...or would i not be apart of it since im in nanaimo?

60 months ago

job hunting in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: how do you get on the local hygiene association mailing list...or would i not be apart of it since im in nanaimo?

heck that is close enough, I think, but right now it mainly serves the CRD. You can email the listserv manager and she will probably put you on it. adkin at telus dot net

job hunting in Nanaimo, British Columbia

59 months ago

skrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: Perhaps other agencies are better behaved, but we had a nasty agent around here who did indeed try to enforce just such a policy. If one of her temps went out and contacted a dentist on her own, the temp agent would send threatening letters demanding payments - especially if we went ahead and hired the hygienist full-time. She also demanded contracts from the dentists which required that we could not hire anyone on our own! Her company was called Dental Fill-Ins Personnel (DFI), and I recommend avoiding that company (the principle has moved out of the business, I've heard). I suspect it was her bad behaviour that motivated the hygienists to set up their own list-serv for temps and recruiting.

DFI has a new owner noe

rdh in Surrey, British Columbia

47 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if you could post more information about this list-serv.
Please and thank you

LW Dental Connections Placement Agency in Victoria, British Columbia

45 months ago

veenee in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Hello Again,

Would anyone be able to rhyme off some great temp agencies to work for? I know its slow right now, but I figured might as well give it a shot!!! KEEP POSITIVE!!!!!
Thanks mucho!

Have you heard about my company, LW Dental Connections Placement Agency? I have been in business in Victoria for 2 years now, and although the job situation for hygienists is slim, at the moment, I do get calls for relief work. I would be happy to have you in my data base! The more oportunities for networking, the better!

Dental Connections Placement IAgency in Victoria, British Columbia

45 months ago

I have to disagree with this view! I have experienced alot of support from the offices in Victoria and the Duncan area. My company offers another network for finding work. Some Dental Office's actually prefer to use an Agency and I am doing my best to develope further relationships with dental offices.
The people that I meet are happy to hear that there is a reputable agency here in Victoria. I hope you will reconsider your view, thanks!

rdh in Victoria, British Columbia

44 months ago

Sorry I'm having trouble finding info on the link-serv.. Could someone post her email address for me please.

Thanks a lot!

Tina in Vancouver, British Columbia

19 months ago

Is there something like this in Vancouver ? I'd like to cut out middle man too.

Tina in Vancouver, British Columbia

19 months ago

Is there something like this in Vancouver? I'd like to cut out middle man too :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.