Tips on passing the clinical exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Crystal ski in Florida

13 months ago

Hi everyone , I'm going to take my clinical July 20. Can someone help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

C ski in Florida

13 months ago

Hi Linda I just if you can share some tips with me about the clinical exam. Thank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

13 months ago

Hi C Ski,

I don't know what help I can be-- I sat for the test in April and failed! I am retaking next month and have lost all self confidence in myself since I thought I did well last time but failed for 4 sights of calculus that I was positive I got. I am moving to FL from Georgia and have been practicing 32 years and taken boards three times due to moving. No fun!!! But I never failed any until now! You can email me privately at LindaRDH38@aol.com if you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

13 months ago

I don't understand how they expect you to bring your own cavitron Sterimate hand piece and polishing hand piece for clinical boards at UF. They should provide it or make arrangements for you to rent it. How am I supposed to get either one? How have they done this in the past? It just doesn't seem fair...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

13 months ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: I don't understand how they expect you to bring your own cavitron Sterimate hand piece and polishing hand piece for clinical boards at UF. They should provide it or make arrangements for you to rent it. How am I supposed to get either one? How have they done this in the past? It just doesn't seem fair...

The clinic at UF has cavitrons mounted on the unit and all the students are required to purchase a handpiece. That is normal to them but I had to bring my whole unit with me because it was a cavitron with prophyjet combined and the handpiece was not compatible. I had trouble with the hookup and the dental maintenance guys had to come and put in an adapter and it created a lot of stress for me. This time I am renting one (through a private company - UF does not rent them out) because if you buy one it is over $200 then you need an insert as well. You also need to bring a slow speed handpiece with you. Now I am trying to get a decent set of xrays taken on my patient. It is hard when you don't have an office to take them in, you have to rely on someone else's expertise and the set my board patient's dental office took fell far short of the mark. It seemed so straightforward to me to request a traditional 18 film FMX. What I got was a mess and not even 18 films. Now I have to make her go back and take some over and try to get them to print me a sent that is diagnostic quality because they scanned and emailed me individual pa's out of order. Ugh the stress of it all!! I feel like I have no control.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

13 months ago

What company are you using to rent the Cavitron? Is it andyrdh.com? I'm trying to get my hands on one but it's becoming a major hassle. I'm so sick of all these hoops to jump through! It's amazing all the $ I've spent on this stupid test. They need state reciprocity!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

13 months ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: What company are you using to rent the Cavitron? Is it andyrdh.com? I'm trying to get my hands on one but it's becoming a major hassle. I'm so sick of all these hoops to jump through! It's amazing all the $ I've spent on this stupid test. They need state reciprocity!

Yes I used Andy - he gives you a discount because you are only renting the handpiece not the whole unit. They also do not allow anesthetic other than topical. Worried! Do you have AM or PM?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

13 months ago

So are you renting both the cavitron hand piece and the polishing hand piece from him? I thought he only rented the polishing. I don't understand why we can't use anesthetic. I am LA certified and have been for 12 yrs coming from Missouri, and I passed my LA test for FL. So we can only use topical and what, slather it everywhere? It makes no sense. I have the AM session. What about you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

13 months ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: So are you renting both the cavitron hand piece and the polishing hand piece from him? I thought he only rented the polishing. I don't understand why we can't use anesthetic. I am LA certified and have been for 12 yrs coming from Missouri, and I passed my LA test for FL. So we can only use topical and what, slather it everywhere? It makes no sense. I have the AM session. What about you?

No, just the sterimate and insert. You cannot use a prophy jet. The only reason I brought mine was that it was a combo unit with the cavitron, I did not use it. You cannot inject your patient whether you are certified or not. I am AM also. Yes slather on the topical for all the good it will do! It is brutal, my pt has a lot of calculus and is very inflammed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

13 months ago

Can we use Oraquix? Just using topical sounds painful! So, I guess I need to get on andyrdh and rent my stuff. I'll be so glad when this is all over!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

13 months ago

It's sad that there is still the above going on in this field....it's hazing in a way if you think about it. Good luck to all siting for the clinical...you deserve to pass after the rigorous training and then some at school...and then there's the across the states and all that they want you to do over just to have a license, sometimes having to take over more than a State's Law in Dental...in those states...always the almighty $...dollar for a donut...if you get my drift. GL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

13 months ago

Thank you exp! I totally agree. I've been a RDH for 12 yrs in MO, and had to move to FL for my husband's residency. Retaking clinical boards is a joke. Especially trying to get all the equipment needed, finding a patient (mine is flying in from MO), not to mention the anxiety of another test! It's a complete hassle! Now I've learned I can't rent a Cavitron hand piece. No one has them available. I'm about to go crazy! Help?? Anyone??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

13 months ago

There have been hand pieces on eBay -- I was going to buy one and try to sell it after the test to some other poor sap. But renting one from Andy seemed easier. You might try eBay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cski in Florida

13 months ago

I have found two patients just stated that he is moving away next week and another never return my call.
I m so stress. Is anyone know where can I find patient in Florida area, I'm willing to pay them.
Thank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cski in Florida

13 months ago

I m going to just trust GOD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

13 months ago

Cski in Florida said: I have found two patients just stated that he is moving away next week and another never return my call.
I m so stress. Is anyone know where can I find patient in Florida area, I'm willing to pay them.
Thank

are you AM or PM? If you are PM I could ask my patient if she wants to stay and be your patient in the PM session - I'm AM. You can email me at lindardh38@aol.com I am driving her but I can wait for you to be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

C ski in Florida

13 months ago

I'm taking pm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Alina_d in Jacksonville, Florida

12 months ago

Hello ladies, by a miracle I was able to sign up for clinical exam July 20 but unfortunately andy doesn't have any more sterimate and insert to rent.. I am taking my exam in the AM I was wondering if any of you who are taking it in am would be willing to let me use their sterimate ( I have my own insert) and I would return it before your exam in PM. I will pay! Please let me know... I do not know what else to do.. Any other idea??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

12 months ago

2 questions:
1. Does anyone have the Jane Weiner review for the laws & rules exam for FL they would be willing to share (or a similar review...I already have the andyrdh one)?

2. The air water syringe tips that we have to take for the clinical in Gainesville are the twist in kind not the button kind, correct? I'm having trouble finding them without ordering 100's of them.

Thanks for all your help fellow hygienists!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

12 months ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: 2 questions:
1. Does anyone have the Jane Weiner review for the laws & rules exam for FL they would be willing to share (or a similar review...I already have the andyrdh one)?

2. The air water syringe tips that we have to take for the clinical in Gainesville are the twist in kind not the button kind, correct? I'm having trouble finding them without ordering 100's of them.

Thanks for all your help fellow hygienists!

hello,
u didnt menton mail id..? mine is maitry2007@yahoo.com.. contact me dere.. I can help you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

12 months ago

Alina_d in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hello ladies, by a miracle I was able to sign up for clinical exam July 20 but unfortunately andy doesn't have any more sterimate and insert to rent.. I am taking my exam in the AM I was wondering if any of you who are taking it in am would be willing to let me use their sterimate ( I have my own insert) and I would return it before your exam in PM. I will pay! Please let me know... I do not know what else to do.. Any other idea??

Hello, I am in same boat, I have insert but no sterimate handpiece,, I am in PM batch.. can any1 in AM batch can rent it to me..?? also I was wondering if at all we can bring entire cavitron which has sterimate handiece attached.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

12 months ago

can anybody please help.Can we take entire clavitron unit ,,??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

12 months ago

You can bring your entire unit but if it is a cavitron only (not prophy jet) your handpiece will be compatible with the units at UF - the sterimate handpiece. Just pull it off and bring it. If it is a prophy jet you have to bring the whole thing because the prophy jet handpiece will not fit on the unit. You just have to hook it up to the water supply on the chair and plug it in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

12 months ago

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida said: You can bring your entire unit but if it is a cavitron only (not prophy jet) your handpiece will be compatible with the units at UF - the sterimate handpiece. Just pull it off and bring it. If it is a prophy jet you have to bring the whole thing because the prophy jet handpiece will not fit on the unit. You just have to hook it up to the water supply on the chair and plug it in.

Thank you so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

12 months ago

hello all, can anybody help, pocket depth 4 +/-1 mm can be from 3mm to 5 mm or deeper, or they need 4 mm or deep??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

8 months ago

Rm in Lindon, Utah said: Hello everybody, I am a foreign trained Dentist . I heard that in Florida a foreign trained Dentist might work as a Dentis Hygientist after taking some test to be licensed without studying 2 years in a regular Dental Hygienist school in USA. Its that true? If it is will you help me with information: what are the requirements to achieve that? what are the steps I needed to do? is there any books or special course I would need to take to be prepared for the test? If anybory may guide me, I would really appreciate it.
\\

Yes you can email me at Elietegalvao@hotmail.com and I will let you know how.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

8 months ago

Maitry in Tampa, Florida said: hello all, can anybody help, pocket depth 4 +/-1 mm can be from 3mm to 5 mm or deeper, or they need 4 mm or deep??

3mm to 4mm or 5mmm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

8 months ago

risehigh2012 in Irvine, California said: i have finished my florida board license exam in feb n im licensed to practice nw. I have all the materials for exam, including the clinical instruments, the slides for the computer simulated CSCE and also the laws n rules material by jane weiner. let me kw if u need any help. U can email me on risehigh2012@yahoo.com

yes that will help me can you email it to me ? Elietegalvao@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

8 months ago

Olb in Pompano Beach, Florida said: not anymore, recent law signed in march by the FL Governor does not allow Foreign Dentists to apply unless they take 2 years on a ADA accredited school, search for more info on the FLDOH website

You are wrong, yes foreign dentist can apply to get the hygiene license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

8 months ago

Alina in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi everyone! I am studying for CSCE and I would really appreciate if someone could send me study material for both CSCE and laws exam. I am overwhelmed and that would help so much! My email is alina_danielaa@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance!

have you got the materials to study ? Can you share with me > Elietegalvao@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

appy in Saint Petersburg, Florida

6 months ago

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida said: You are wrong, yes foreign dentist can apply to get the hygiene license

Hi Elie

Are there any courses foreign trained dentist can take before they sit for the patient clinical exams.I have not worked on a patient in 8 years but will be taking the exam this year.

Appy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Asma45 in Orlando, Florida

4 months ago

appy in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi Elie

Are there any courses foreign trained dentist can take before they sit for the patient clinical exams.I have not worked on a patient in 8 years but will be taking the exam this year.

Appy

Did you find out any course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beaunique84 in South Bend, Indiana

3 months ago

Could someone please tell me what kind of questions are on the Computer Simulated Clinical Exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cintya quigley in Florida

3 months ago

appy in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi Elie

Are there any courses foreign trained dentist can take before they sit for the patient clinical exams.I have not worked on a patient in 8 years but will be taking the exam this year.

Appy

Hi Appy... Did you find out any course? I'm a foreign trained dentist too... If you have any information please email me: quigleycintya@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

3 months ago

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida said: 3mm to 4mm or 5mmm

3mm to 4mm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elietegalvao@hotmail.com in Boca Raton, Florida

3 months ago

cintya quigley in Florida said: Hi Appy... Did you find out any course? I'm a foreign trained dentist too... If you have any information please email me: quigleycintya@gmail.com

Yes there is one in Lake Worth .Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

biro in Miami, Florida

2 months ago

My clinical exam at 29 may pm amd tell now i found no pt ..please if any one can shar me his pt and i will pay for that ..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MaryMary in Orlando, Florida

16 days ago

Hi…is there anyone taking the clinical exam in Gainsville, August the 2nd…some foreign dentist taking it? Let's help each other guys :) I am looking for a pt and I haven't found him/her yet…please if someone is willing to ask his pt for sharing..Thanks a lot in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MaryMary in Orlando, Florida

16 days ago

appy in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi Elie

Are there any courses foreign trained dentist can take before they sit for the patient clinical exams.I have not worked on a patient in 8 years but will be taking the exam this year.

Appy

Hi…did you take your clinical already? Im going to August the 2nd in Gainsville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yash in Gainesville, Florida

12 days ago

MaryMary in Orlando, Florida said: Hi…did you take your clinical already? Im going to August the 2nd in Gainsville.

Hi Appy,
I am taking my clinical on August 2'nd at Gainesville. Can we please get in touch? this is my email id yashodhara1205@gmail.com. thankyou.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary Mary in Tallahassee, Florida

10 days ago

Hi. Yes I just emailed you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Danish in Houston, Texas

13 hours ago

yash in Gainesville, Florida said: Hi Appy,
I am taking my clinical on August 2'nd at Gainesville. Can we please get in touch? this is my email id yashodhara1205@gmail.com. thankyou.

hi im done with nbde part 1 and 2 and looking forward to take the clinical exam can u please guide how to prepare and what all materials do i need ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.