Tips on passing the clinical exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

ashleyexe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

57 months ago

I am looking for any advice out there on the clinical board examinations. I am set to take the CRDTS examination, and would like some friendly advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia

57 months ago

ashleyexe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I am looking for any advice out there on the clinical board examinations. I am set to take the CRDTS examination, and would like some friendly advice.

Hi
I am also sched to take CRDTS here in GA on Dec 7/8. Good luck to you. Have you found a patient? I have not. Noone has enough calculus. I havent taken a board in 20 yrs, so I am nervous. Are you planning on using anesthesia? I may just do a topical...depending on the patient. ut, i heard from a girl that just graduated that her instructors suggested using the dentist to give an injection to the patients since theres a lot of tissue manipulation. But, first I need to find a patient:) before I can worry about that .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

murrieta RDH in Murrieta, California

57 months ago

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hi
I am also sched to take CRDTS here in GA on Dec 7/8. Good luck to you. Have you found a patient? I have not. Noone has enough calculus. I havent taken a board in 20 yrs, so I am nervous. Are you planning on using anesthesia? I may just do a topical...depending on the patient. ut, i heard from a girl that just graduated that her instructors suggested using the dentist to give an injection to the patients since theres a lot of tissue manipulation. But, first I need to find a patient:) before I can worry about that .

If you are allowed to use local anesthesia, do it. Anesthesia gives patient comfort while you are probing, which has to be accurate, as well as scaling. Many best scaling students lost so many points ,and were ended up failed, from wrong pocket depth. Good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia

57 months ago

Do you know when you turn in the probe measurements...before or after scaling? Also, when do they check the probing? After completion, correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

murrieta RDH in Murrieta, California

56 months ago

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Do you know when you turn in the probe measurements...before or after scaling? Also, when do they check the probing? After completion, correct?

In california, these are the steps:
Set up operatories, seat patient,med history, Vital signs and E&I, give anesthesia if you choose(strongly recommended because when the examiners do the probing, they will have to apply enough pressure to get pass the calculus to the base of the pocket, and if the examiners can't probe due to discomfort, patient will be sent back to you for anesthesia and you will lose your time). After giving anesthesia, then you probe and submit the patient. The examiner ( could be more than 1) will probe and compare hers with ours, then detect the calculus. If probing depth too far off ( too deep or too shallow in many places or calculus is not met the requirements, your patient will be rejected. Then you go get the back up. If your patient is accepted, then you can scale. Once you finish scaling, you will submit your patient for scaling score, no more probing measurement. Patient needs to be sufficiently anesthetized, or the examiner will send him/her back to you to get more anesthetic if the patient expressed signs of discomfort while they are checking for the residual calculus. Look at the point deduction carefully, it is applied to both wrong probing and residual calculus. I took my test this year, and this is what I have experienced. Hope it helps. Good luck you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Minneapolis, Minnesota

56 months ago

I just took CRDTS almost 3 weeks ago, my best advice is to stay calm. Once your patient is accepted, just do your thing!! If you can, write down the Intraoral assesment before you submit your patient. Also, write ONLY the things they have listed as examples, anything more may not be necessary. Ultrasonic scalers are permitted, so using them was very useful for me. Remember about 5 minutes before submitting your patient, look over your paperwork to assure everything is filled in, such as the intraoral assesment findings, probe depths, and anesthetic (if your using it) usage. GOOD LUCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

a_c_smiley in Las Vegas, Nevada

50 months ago

murrieta RDH in Murrieta, California said: In california, these are the steps:
Set up operatories, seat patient,med history, Vital signs and E&I, give anesthesia if you choose(strongly recommended because when the examiners do the probing, they will have to apply enough pressure to get pass the calculus to the base of the pocket, and if the examiners can't probe due to discomfort, patient will be sent back to you for anesthesia and you will lose your time). After giving anesthesia, then you probe and submit the patient. The examiner ( could be more than 1) will probe and compare hers with ours, then detect the calculus. If probing depth too far off ( too deep or too shallow in many places or calculus is not met the requirements, your patient will be rejected. Then you go get the back up. If your patient is accepted, then you can scale. Once you finish scaling, you will submit your patient for scaling score, no more probing measurement. Patient needs to be sufficiently anesthetized, or the examiner will send him/her back to you to get more anesthetic if the patient expressed signs of discomfort while they are checking for the residual calculus. Look at the point deduction carefully, it is applied to both wrong probing and residual calculus. I took my test this year, and this is what I have experienced. Hope it helps. Good luck you all.

Was your board in California adminstered by the WREB?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daisy Girl in Joplin, Missouri

49 months ago

Hi just to help you out, do probing after scaling because they check the readings at the final check and that way you get a more acurate reading. I did CRDTS about 5 weeks ago and got a 100% just be calm and handle it just like a normal clinical day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Bethel, Alaska

47 months ago

I am taking the WREB in Kirkland, WA in September. I am having a lot of trouble finding a patient with enough calculus to qualify. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look? I have contacted the schools, but turned up nothing. I do not live in Washington and haven't found a patient in my area. Please help.

Kate in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

@Jenn: Check local prisons. haha They might allow you a patient. Obviously, a smoker is better, as well. I'm worried about finding my patient, too...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

new RDH in Riverside, California

35 months ago

I am taking the Florida dental hygiene board clinical exam in dec 2011...conducted by NERB..i do not know the instrumentation technique used there and also about what the examiners ask during the exam.
also would like to know about what to and how to prepare for the exam..im a foreign trained dentist. PLEASE HELP.

RDH in Placentia, California

35 months ago

Submit your patient ASAP (don't spend 10 min to do a very careful probing). They made me wait for over 30 min after submitting my patient before coming back with a rejection. They didn't even write down the reason why- that took another 5 min to clarify. After wasting all that time (my time limit began once I submitted my patient), the proctor asked me if I wanted to withdraw.

Champs in Melbourne, Florida

30 months ago

I am a foreign trained dentist. I am taking the dental hygiene exam in Florida. I am not allowed to work on a patient until I am licensed. Hence I do not have the clinical training on a patient in U.S, since 10 years. How and where would I be able to get some training? Is there any dental hygiene clinical skills only coaching program for the exam purpose? Please advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rm in Lindon, Utah

28 months ago

Hello everybody, I am a foreign trained Dentist. I heard that in Florida a foreign trained Dentist might work as a Dentis Hygientist after taking some test to be licensed without studying 2 years in a regular Dental Hygienist school in USA. Its that true? If it is will you help me with information: what are the requirements to achieve that? what are the steps I needed to do? is there any books or special course I would need to take to be prepared for the test? If anybory may guide me, I would really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Adambrt in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

27 months ago

I am trying to do the same as you are doing now but I don't know where I should start from? I did the NBDHE and I pass it and I am trying to the clinical hygiene exam for the state of Florida. Would you please tell me the steps that I have to take to get the admission into that exam. Thank you.

Rm in Lindon, Utah said: Hello everybody, I am a foreign trained Dentist. I heard that in Florida a foreign trained Dentist might work as a Dentis Hygientist after taking some test to be licensed without studying 2 years in a regular Dental Hygienist school in USA. Its that true? If it is will you help me with information: what are the requirements to achieve that? what are the steps I needed to do? is there any books or special course I would need to take to be prepared for the test? If anybory may guide me, I would really appreciate it.

risehigh2012 in Irvine, California

27 months ago

i have finished my florida board license exam in feb n im licensed to practice nw. I have all the materials for exam, including the clinical instruments, the slides for the computer simulated CSCE and also the laws n rules material by jane weiner. let me kw if u need any help. U can email me on risehigh2012@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Olb in Pompano Beach, Florida

26 months ago

Rm in Lindon, Utah said: Hello everybody, I am a foreign trained Dentist . I heard that in Florida a foreign trained Dentist might work as a Dentis Hygientist after taking some test to be licensed without studying 2 years in a regular Dental Hygienist school in USA. Its that true? If it is will you help me with information: what are the requirements to achieve that? what are the steps I needed to do? is there any books or special course I would need to take to be prepared for the test? If anybory may guide me, I would really appreciate it.

not anymore, recent law signed in march by the FL Governor does not allow Foreign Dentists to apply unless they take 2 years on a ADA accredited school, search for more info on the FLDOH website

mary - ann in Orlando, Florida

26 months ago

risehigh2012 in Irvine, California said: i have finished my florida board license exam in feb n im licensed to practice nw. I have all the materials for exam, including the clinical instruments, the slides for the computer simulated CSCE and also the laws n rules material by jane weiner. let me kw if u need any help. U can email me on risehigh2012@yahoo.com

HI !!!! i'm going to take the CSCE for the florida dental hygiene examination next moth, I'm very interested in the slides for the computer simulated clinical examination, what do i need to study? where did you get thoses slides? how can i get a copy of those???

thank you for your help
mary - ann

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Clearwater, Florida

21 months ago

mary - ann in Orlando, Florida said: HI !!!! i'm going to take the CSCE for the florida dental hygiene examination next moth, I'm very interested in the slides for the computer simulated clinical examination, what do i need to study? where did you get thoses slides? how can i get a copy of those???

thank you for your help
mary - ann

I'm also interested in the slides for the computer simulated clinical examination. I take it next week. Can I get a copy of them? my email is epvs32@yahoo.com

Thank you, Eileen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Clearwater, Florida

21 months ago

I'm also interested in the slides for the computer simulated clinical examination. I take it next week. Can I get a copy of them? my email is epvs32@yahoo.com

Thank you, Eileen

carla yates in Hayward, California

21 months ago

My name is carla and I take dental hygiene boards this month in San fran, but I still dont have a patient! IS anyone interested in being my patient?
carlacyates@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Trisha, California in San Bernardino, California

16 months ago

Eileen in Clearwater, Florida said: I'm also interested in the slides for the computer simulated clinical examination. I take it next week. Can I get a copy of them? my email is epvs32@yahoo.com

Thank you, Eileen

Eileen, did you get the slides? I'll do the Clinical soon, how can I have a copy of them How was your experience about the Clinical exam?

lmohmer in Youngstown, Ohio

4 months ago

I am taking the CSCE in april and I am very interested in any help I can get. Can I receive a copy of the slides to review? Anything that would help would be great! my email is lillucia88@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Riverview, Florida

1 month ago

Hello, I completed my pt clinical exam and passed. Now I'm studying for the CSCE Prometric exam. ( and then I need to schedule myself for the Florida laws & rules exam. Can anyone email me study material esp for the Law exam, that 1 sounds very difficult. Thank you so much. My email is lindakaplafka@hotmail.com

Sakrdh in Blue Springs, Missouri

1 month ago

Hi everyone! I'm taking the NERB clinical exam in July in Florida and was wondering if anyone had any tips. I took the CRDTS clinical exam 12 years ago...I don't know how similar the exams are but any pointers would be great! Thanks so much!

LindaRDH38 in Alpharetta, Georgia

29 days ago

I am looking for a Sterimate handpiece to rent for the Florida NERB on July 20. Apparently UF does not rent them and I do not want to buy one just for the board. I will gladly pay someone to borrow one for the day or does anyone know where I can rent one? Thanks!

Sakrdh in Marthasville, Missouri

29 days ago

LindaRDH38 in Alpharetta, Georgia said: I am looking for a Sterimate handpiece to rent for the Florida NERB on July 20. Apparently UF does not rent them and I do not want to buy one just for the board. I will gladly pay someone to borrow one for the day or does anyone know where I can rent one? Thanks!

Are you referring to an ultrasonic insert or something else? I'm taking my clinical exam July 20 as well in Florida. Have you gotten any info yet? How did you know about them not renting the hand piece?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida

29 days ago

Sakrdh in Marthasville, Missouri said: Are you referring to an ultrasonic insert or something else? I'm taking my clinical exam July 20 as well in Florida. Have you gotten any info yet? How did you know about them not renting the hand piece?

No, not the insert, although you have to bring that too, but it is the actual handpiece that the insert goes into. The units at UF have the cavitron attached to the chair but you have to bring a handpiece to go into it. The students at that school all own them. My office has a prophyjet and it is not compatible. I called the school and asked if they rent them and they said they do do not.

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

22 days ago

LindaRDH38 in Lady Lake, Florida said: No, not the insert, although you have to bring that too, but it is the actual handpiece that the insert goes into. The units at UF have the cavitron attached to the chair but you have to bring a handpiece to go into it. The students at that school all own them. My office has a prophyjet and it is not compatible. I called the school and asked if they rent them and they said they do do not.

Hello, I also have clinicals at UF. Any ideas what all intruments we have to take... I am an international dentist.

Alina in Jacksonville, Florida

16 days ago

Hi everyone! I am studying for CSCE and I would really appreciate if someone could send me study material for both CSCE and laws exam. I am overwhelmed and that would help so much! My email is alina_danielaa@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance!

Crystal ski in Florida

14 days ago

Hi everyone , I'm going to take my clinical July 20. Can someone help me

C ski in Florida

14 days ago

Hi Linda I just if you can share some tips with me about the clinical exam. Thank

14 days ago

Hi C Ski,

I don't know what help I can be-- I sat for the test in April and failed! I am retaking next month and have lost all self confidence in myself since I thought I did well last time but failed for 4 sights of calculus that I was positive I got. I am moving to FL from Georgia and have been practicing 32 years and taken boards three times due to moving. No fun!!! But I never failed any until now! You can email me privately at LindaRDH38@aol.com if you want.

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida

13 days ago

I don't understand how they expect you to bring your own cavitron Sterimate hand piece and polishing hand piece for clinical boards at UF. They should provide it or make arrangements for you to rent it. How am I supposed to get either one? How have they done this in the past? It just doesn't seem fair...

13 days ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: I don't understand how they expect you to bring your own cavitron Sterimate hand piece and polishing hand piece for clinical boards at UF. They should provide it or make arrangements for you to rent it. How am I supposed to get either one? How have they done this in the past? It just doesn't seem fair...

The clinic at UF has cavitrons mounted on the unit and all the students are required to purchase a handpiece. That is normal to them but I had to bring my whole unit with me because it was a cavitron with prophyjet combined and the handpiece was not compatible. I had trouble with the hookup and the dental maintenance guys had to come and put in an adapter and it created a lot of stress for me. This time I am renting one (through a private company - UF does not rent them out) because if you buy one it is over $200 then you need an insert as well. You also need to bring a slow speed handpiece with you. Now I am trying to get a decent set of xrays taken on my patient. It is hard when you don't have an office to take them in, you have to rely on someone else's expertise and the set my board patient's dental office took fell far short of the mark. It seemed so straightforward to me to request a traditional 18 film FMX. What I got was a mess and not even 18 films. Now I have to make her go back and take some over and try to get them to print me a sent that is diagnostic quality because they scanned and emailed me individual pa's out of order. Ugh the stress of it all!! I feel like I have no control.

13 days ago

What company are you using to rent the Cavitron? Is it andyrdh.com? I'm trying to get my hands on one but it's becoming a major hassle. I'm so sick of all these hoops to jump through! It's amazing all the $ I've spent on this stupid test. They need state reciprocity!

13 days ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: What company are you using to rent the Cavitron? Is it andyrdh.com? I'm trying to get my hands on one but it's becoming a major hassle. I'm so sick of all these hoops to jump through! It's amazing all the $ I've spent on this stupid test. They need state reciprocity!

Yes I used Andy - he gives you a discount because you are only renting the handpiece not the whole unit. They also do not allow anesthetic other than topical. Worried! Do you have AM or PM?

13 days ago

So are you renting both the cavitron hand piece and the polishing hand piece from him? I thought he only rented the polishing. I don't understand why we can't use anesthetic. I am LA certified and have been for 12 yrs coming from Missouri, and I passed my LA test for FL. So we can only use topical and what, slather it everywhere? It makes no sense. I have the AM session. What about you?

13 days ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: So are you renting both the cavitron hand piece and the polishing hand piece from him? I thought he only rented the polishing. I don't understand why we can't use anesthetic. I am LA certified and have been for 12 yrs coming from Missouri, and I passed my LA test for FL. So we can only use topical and what, slather it everywhere? It makes no sense. I have the AM session. What about you?

No, just the sterimate and insert. You cannot use a prophy jet. The only reason I brought mine was that it was a combo unit with the cavitron, I did not use it. You cannot inject your patient whether you are certified or not. I am AM also. Yes slather on the topical for all the good it will do! It is brutal, my pt has a lot of calculus and is very inflammed.

12 days ago

Can we use Oraquix? Just using topical sounds painful! So, I guess I need to get on andyrdh and rent my stuff. I'll be so glad when this is all over!

exp in Massachusetts

11 days ago

It's sad that there is still the above going on in this field....it's hazing in a way if you think about it. Good luck to all siting for the clinical...you deserve to pass after the rigorous training and then some at school...and then there's the across the states and all that they want you to do over just to have a license, sometimes having to take over more than a State's Law in Dental...in those states...always the almighty $...dollar for a donut...if you get my drift. GL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 days ago

Thank you exp! I totally agree. I've been a RDH for 12 yrs in MO, and had to move to FL for my husband's residency. Retaking clinical boards is a joke. Especially trying to get all the equipment needed, finding a patient (mine is flying in from MO), not to mention the anxiety of another test! It's a complete hassle! Now I've learned I can't rent a Cavitron hand piece. No one has them available. I'm about to go crazy! Help?? Anyone??

11 days ago

There have been hand pieces on eBay -- I was going to buy one and try to sell it after the test to some other poor sap. But renting one from Andy seemed easier. You might try eBay.

Cski in Florida

10 days ago

I have found two patients just stated that he is moving away next week and another never return my call.
I m so stress. Is anyone know where can I find patient in Florida area, I'm willing to pay them.
Thank

Cski in Florida

10 days ago

I m going to just trust GOD

10 days ago

Cski in Florida said: I have found two patients just stated that he is moving away next week and another never return my call.
I m so stress. Is anyone know where can I find patient in Florida area, I'm willing to pay them.
Thank

are you AM or PM? If you are PM I could ask my patient if she wants to stay and be your patient in the PM session - I'm AM. You can email me at lindardh38@aol.com I am driving her but I can wait for you to be done.

C ski in Florida

7 days ago

I'm taking pm

Alina_d in Jacksonville, Florida

21 hours ago

Hello ladies, by a miracle I was able to sign up for clinical exam July 20 but unfortunately andy doesn't have any more sterimate and insert to rent.. I am taking my exam in the AM I was wondering if any of you who are taking it in am would be willing to let me use their sterimate ( I have my own insert) and I would return it before your exam in PM. I will pay! Please let me know... I do not know what else to do.. Any other idea??

5 hours ago

2 questions:
1. Does anyone have the Jane Weiner review for the laws & rules exam for FL they would be willing to share (or a similar review...I already have the andyrdh one)?

2. The air water syringe tips that we have to take for the clinical in Gainesville are the twist in kind not the button kind, correct? I'm having trouble finding them without ordering 100's of them.

Thanks for all your help fellow hygienists!

Maitry in Tampa, Florida

5 hours ago

Sakrdh in Bradenton, Florida said: 2 questions:
1. Does anyone have the Jane Weiner review for the laws & rules exam for FL they would be willing to share (or a similar review...I already have the andyrdh one)?

2. The air water syringe tips that we have to take for the clinical in Gainesville are the twist in kind not the button kind, correct? I'm having trouble finding them without ordering 100's of them.

Thanks for all your help fellow hygienists!

hello,
u didnt menton mail id..? mine is maitry2007@yahoo.com.. contact me dere.. I can help you,

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.