WHY IS PIMA OPENING UP A DENTAL HYGIENE SCHOOL IN ALBUQUERQUE, NM???? THE FIELD IS FLOODED WITH RDH'S!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Sonia in Albuquerque, NM

62 months ago

I was looking in our Albuquerque Journal and found a job opening for PIMA Medical Institute for a dental hygiene instructor with a minumum of a BSDH or a Master's in DH!! WHY DO STATES CONTINUE TO OPEN SCHOOLS WHEN THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR HYGIENIST???? THIS FIELD IS ALREADY FLOODED AS IS!!!! WHY DO THESE SCHOOLS CONTINUE TO MISLEAD STUDENTS THAT THERE IS A JOB AND DENTAL HYGIENE IS A FAST GROWING CAREER???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Brandy in Los Lunas, NM

62 months ago

Wow, that is news to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

62 months ago

Sonia in Albuquerque, NM said: I was looking in our Albuquerque Journal and found a job opening for PIMA Medical Institute for a dental hygiene instructor with a minumum of a BSDH or a Master's in DH!! WHY DO STATES CONTINUE TO OPEN SCHOOLS WHEN THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR HYGIENIST???? THIS FIELD IS ALREADY FLOODED AS IS!!!! WHY DO THESE SCHOOLS CONTINUE TO MISLEAD STUDENTS THAT THERE IS A JOB AND DENTAL HYGIENE IS A FAST GROWING CAREER???

Because they have received the money to open the program, they want their paycheck, and they don't CARE about young or re-trains loosing their money....everybody wants their cut... and those entering into this field now...will do so because they want to .....even if we give them the situation from EXPERIENCING IT NOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Rdh!

45 months ago

ΜµµµWhat I hate is that pima already has a bad rep for putting out under trained students! This is dumbing down hygienist! Can they pass boards? My thought is if you want to be a dental hygienist go to a real college do it the right way! I dnt want to be paid less because this school expects less!!! Dont take it the wrong way do it! but do it right! Most of us worked hard for our degrees! Bs, rdh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

45 months ago

Rdh! said: ΜµµµWhat I hate is that pima already has a bad rep for putting out under trained students! This is dumbing down hygienist! Can they pass boards? My thought is if you want to be a dental hygienist go to a real college do it the right way! I dnt want to be paid less because this school expects less!!! Dont take it the wrong way do it! but do it right! Most of us worked hard for our degrees! Bs, rdh!

Training in the DH field now is for those who want to ignore the info and experiences here not only from the Vets' but the recent grad's from good programs. Those who want to learn the hard way, you just have to let them do it; some will take our info. and choose another fied with actual work opps and retirement. GL to all who choose wisely and have a "career" and growth opportunity with benefits. Benefits are elusive to the majority in DH now, no negotiating power or very little. Sad that our Associations didn't do anything for us or hire those experienced in laws to speak for DH's. Go for DA if you have the need to be in the Dental field, then, at least you will have a job and benefits, etc...and gain experience in the dental field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

jgr in Albuquerque, New Mexico

41 months ago

Rdh! said: ΜµµµWhat I hate is that pima already has a bad rep for putting out under trained students! This is dumbing down hygienist! Can they pass boards? My thought is if you want to be a dental hygienist go to a real college do it the right way! I dnt want to be paid less because this school expects less!!! Dont take it the wrong way do it! but do it right! Most of us worked hard for our degrees! Bs, rdh!

Just because you took music appreciation won't make you a better hygienist by the way. The instructors at PIMA came from UNM and have taught hygiene courses for years, I'm positive the students will pass their boards. One last thing, since having a bachelor's degree makes you more educated you should know that you DON'T need a bachelors to clean teeth, you need a license. There are plenty of highly skilled hygienists out in the field today with only an associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Evilchild in Albuquerque, New Mexico

36 months ago

DHBS in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: WOW! Not my fault you never got into the DH program at UNM ! Maybe your right you don't need a degree to clean teeth. But you sure as hell will need one to understand the scientific part of what we do . OH and good luck to you when your first dentist treats you like the uneducated DH that you are!!!! LOL

Childish, looks like they don't teach class at UNM. No pun intended. LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

35 months ago

That is happening in my state too. A dentist told me a new hygiene program is going to open soon and the market is flooded with hygienists. Schools don't seem to pay attention to the job market and don't really seem to care about students after they graduate. I was made to believe that I could walk into any office and get a job and find enough full time work quickly. That has not been the case for 3+ years now! I barely work as a hygienist. I think the majority of people have no idea how bad the hygiene job market is until you are a hygienist looking for work. Even my former professors had no idea the job market is so bad until I complained to them after graduation. Schools care about making money and educating people in a career. They don't take any responsibility for the job market and many times the people in charge of the programs have no idea what the job market is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Breezy in Sammamish, Washington

33 months ago

Can anyone speak by experience about the job market and schools in Washington state? I'm done with my pre-reqs and looking to apply... but I hear soooooooooooooo many mixed things about dental hygiene now. Before it used to all be good. What's really happening? Should I go for nursing instead?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

To answer your question... in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

19 months ago

Can they even Pass boards???? First graduating class had a 100% pass on written & clinical Anesthesia Boards, 100% pass on written and clinical National Boards.....The women running and teaching this program are ALL from UNM, So you must be saying that they couldn't teach the UNM students very well either!! Our passing numbers speak loudly! Regardless of the job market, the education level is the same, it is governed and controlled and must pass the same accreditation as all other programs....oh...and they passed their accreditation with a nearly perfect score.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

19 months ago

Sadly the schools only care about making money. They don't seem to research the current job market or even care if grads can't find jobs. My college made me think I could walk into any office on the east coast and find a job right away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snowparkcutie in Albuquerque, New Mexico

10 months ago

I am so happy to see I am not the only who feels this way! And so sad to see our pay go down, lack of jobs, and lack of respect for our profession. The public has no idea their dental care/health is not the number one concern in new practices coming to Albquerque, money is. And the hygieniest who are hired there don't have the education needed, are immoral or are forced to take this type of position because there is no other positions available. THANKS PIMA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.