"WORKING INTERVIEW 3 WEEKS AGO...AND STILL NOT PAID"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

shelly in Atlanta, Georgia

110 months ago

I was contacted by Choiceone Dental in Suwanee to do a working interview about 3 weeks ago (6+ hours w/no lunch or break). When it was time to leave, The office manager and receptionist both seem clueless about pay. They couldn't tell me when I would get paid. I was told to copy my DL and leave a mailing address. At this point I felt funny because normally I'm paid that day or @ least within the week. I Called the office about 5 times over the next 3 weeks to speak to the office mananger and was told that she was busy and would call me back (NOT!). Finally, I went to the office at which point they looked at me like they've never seen me before in there life. When I told the office manager my name, She proceded to tell me that the checks for All the Hygienist they had work would mailed in the morning (NOT!). Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I really could care less about working for these people but our family is having finacial issues right now and I would really like to be paid for my time. Any Advice??

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Absurd in Winston Salem, North Carolina

110 months ago

shelly in Atlanta, Georgia said: I was contacted by Choiceone Dental in Suwanee to do a working interview about 3 weeks ago (6+ hours w/no lunch or break). When it was time to leave, The office manager and receptionist both seem clueless about pay. They couldn't tell me when I would get paid. I was told to copy my DL and leave a mailing address. At this point I felt funny because normally I'm paid that day or @ least within the week. I Called the office about 5 times over the next 3 weeks to speak to the office mananger and was told that she was busy and would call me back (NOT!). Finally, I went to the office at which point they looked at me like they've never seen me before in there life. When I told the office manager my name, She proceded to tell me that the checks for All the Hygienist they had work would mailed in the morning (NOT!). Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I really could care less about working for these people but our family is having finacial issues right now and I would really like to be paid for my time. Any Advice??

Report them to the labor board in your state.

Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Southfield, Michigan

110 months ago

according to the michigan wage and hour division they have to pay you but beware, if you dont have proof of an agreed wage, they can pay you minimum wage. it happened to me over 3 months ago and they havent paid me. I have to file a complaint and wait for an investigation.

Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

109 months ago

This happened to me about 5 months ago. I called so many times it was ridiculous. I went to the office personally and told the dr I expected to be paid for services rendered and he told me good luck. I called my lawyer who charged $25.00 to send a letter and threatened to sue in small claims court. He countered I had no proof I even worked there. I said yes I do. Don't forget I made notes and signed 12 charts that day and kept a copy of my schedule so I have all the patient names. How would you like it if I called them and told them what a cheapscate you were, refusing to pay me for cleaning their teeth? He was speechless. I got my check 2 days later AND he paid my attorney. Believe me, it has taken a long time to be assertive, but can you imagine how much money a dr could make if he got away with this several times a month? Good Luck and stick with it! I get it in writing the $, date, and hours beforehand. When I tell why I want it, I get no arguments.

Reply - Report abuse

scrapes in Reading, Pennsylvania

99 months ago

Wheres ChoiceOneDental on this ? Didn't you get "placed" by them?
Maybe you should let them know what happened, so that agency doesn't send more unsuspecting RDHs to that office

Reply - Report abuse

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

98 months ago

My friend had this happen to her in texas. If it was me I would be walking out witha cavitron or something. I wouldn't return it till I get paid. It happened to me once and when I threaten to come up to the office the DDS had my money.

Reply - Report abuse

smile junkie in San Antonio, Texas

98 months ago

Contact your state work force agency. That is something they can handle for you.

Reply - Report abuse

Mariellita in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

They call me to come to this office for a working interview as DA for 4 hours only, by the time I had to go the DDS was busy ans barely paid attn to say bye and thanks. The front desk lady was nice and thanked me for coming, saying that Dr. would contact me later, no call or comments fir the rest of that day neither the day after which is today. I have the feeling he ia not willing to pay cus why asked ne to cine for just 4 hours if usually that give a full day.....I wonder what the law says about it!!?K

Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

71 months ago

Mariellita in Los Angeles, California said: They call me to come to this office for a working interview as DA for 4 hours only, by the time I had to go the DDS was busy ans barely paid attn to say bye and thanks. The front desk lady was nice and thanked me for coming, saying that Dr. would contact me later, no call or comments fir the rest of that day neither the day after which is today. I have the feeling he ia not willing to pay cus why asked ne to cine for just 4 hours if usually that give a full day.....I wonder what the law says about it!!?K

Always inquire as to PAID working interview....in writing from them before the day of work. They can SAY they'll pay you and pull back and say they never said anything about pay. In writing. As far as full day pay...I don't think so. I think, at least from my experience that if through an agency, it's a minimum of 4hrs. pay. Dr.'s are in the driver's seat for jobs in their office....next!....what does "cine for " mean? Are you on a phone...not sure what you are saying there. Also, good idea to copy the schedule for that day if it's on the counter, etc...for your records. P.S. Did you go to this office through an agency or on your own? Copies...always.

Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Thanks for your advice :), in response to your question, I didn't go through and agency, I went on my own. In 10 years of DA experience I had probably gone to like 5 working interviews and always got paid (as far as I can remember). I used to think that a working interview it has to be "paid", and I cone to realize things that I didn't bfore, in my opinion it is a working interview for us to probe what we are capable to do and to show how are we willing to fit in the dental office (though one day is not enough if we have in mind there are lots of duties according to everyone's experience, so if one day is barely enough, much less 4 hours) Since we are working we should be paid, but it's just my opinion, seems I was wrong! Since they call me for just 4 hours I thought: I have vast experience but how will I probe I my skills in just 4 hours?, I thought it was because they didn't want to pay much. Even worst, I stayed there 4 hours, barely assisted the Dr w the suction, and when there was an oportunity for me to take a couple of Alginate and PVS impressions and I offered the other DA I could do it she just smiled and didn't let me, she took the PVS and since the patient was in a hurry and it would take her more time to do all by herself I insisted I could take the alginate one and she let me, not without being there all the time even when I was mixing it, I took the impression and while I was trying to get the tray out from the patients mouth she came over me to finish doing it ahhhhhh, I was not really happy, not at all, how will I ever probe my skillls? Well anyways, far away from the object, they didn't call me in 2 days as of now and never mentioned anything about paying me, or anything. Another thing is that is really uncomfortable to discuss that kind of things during the interview and when they offer the working interview, since one is really interested inngetting the job, one is at the same time affraid to ask for things they may see as: "what the heck?!"

Reply - Report abuse

FLOSSBABE in Raleigh, North Carolina

70 months ago

"WORKING INTERVIEWS"--be suspicious if you are called into an office after submitting a resume for a "working interview" on the pretense of possibly being hired.

It has been brought to my attention that a lot of dentists are advertising the need for a hygienist and then set up what they call "working interviews" from the resumes they've received, making the hygienist think there's a possibility of being hired. These are not actually working interviews when the hygienist shows up for work. Instead, what the dentists are doing is establishing a relationship with the hygienists they like so that they can contact them for temp work in the future--in order to bypass using a temp agency and therefore not pay the fee that agencies charge.

Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Yes this happened to me once. You must be paid since they charged the patient's a fee for the cleanings you performed. What I did was I went into MicroSoft Excel program and put in the date I worked, hours I worked (how many patient's I saw), pay rate they pay their hygienists or just put in the typical temp rate for your state (In Mass the rate is usually 35-40 dollars an hour. So put in a reasonable amount like 38 dollars and hour if it is a wealthy community and less for a lower income community where the office is located). Then total it up for them in the excel file. Save the file as (Your name Total amount Due) then EMAIL the office and include that excel file. Tell them in the email you have made it easier on them and have made an excel spreadsheet for them to view and issue a check.

Let them know if they don't mail you a check within the next week you will be taking the dentist to small claims court. I would email this and hand deliver it if you don't hear anything within a few days from them.
If they don't mail you a check within a reasonable amount of time file a lawsuit against them in your local SMALL CLAIMS COURT. You do not use a lawyer in small claims. And it cost about 25 dollars or so to file a lawsuit in small claims. Sue the dentist for the amount you are suppose to work and sue for the court filing fee. Bring the excel file with the date, hours worked, and amount they owe you to court.

Usually if you give them a clear breakdown of what they owe you they can't argue it and will pay you if you threaten to take them to small claims court.

I heard nothing from the office I temped at. So I emailed them a simple email with the excel file breakdown of what they owed me. They tried to argue it via email and I told them this is the rate we agreed on and you need to pay me for what I worked. They then finally mailed me a check a week later. Don't give up because they got paid by the patient's you worked on for your services! They have to pay you!

Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

69 months ago

Also if you take them to small claims court bring in the typical pay rate that the TEMP agencies in your state charge so the court clerk/ judge knows that the amount you requested is lower or at the pay rate of a temp for your position! This helps prove that they shouldn't pay you minimum wage but a higher wage.

Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

69 months ago

RDHJC, This is sad that you had to go all through that to receive your days pay. I always, keep the copy , if there is a hard-copy of the daysheet...and if not, I make one. Also, what other RDH's have said about your name on all the pt.'s you say in their office...I do believe they cannot, delete this...although I wouldn't put it past the sleezes. I go on my own and through a temp. agency, although I find it harder to do the "last minute" stuff...the drive, getting there in enough time to go over office procedure according to there way...Are you attending YDC in Boston this yr? If so, you might want to contact the MADHA and ADHA as to what we are going through as a field and what RDH's in schools' will be up against once they graduate. It seems that in the oversaturation of our field, that something should be done in regard to acceptance of # of students per yr....it seems the programs and the Dr.'s who are paying into our demise...could care less...any suggestions, without being blacklisted as to what we can do as individuals? I think that a Union will never come to fruition...sadly. VET

Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

66 months ago

This just happened to me. I have told the office that I expect to be paid for my work. I am waiting for them to mail me a check. If they do not mail me a check within a week I will call them again and ask about it. Then if they still don't agree to pay me or mail me a check I will be filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office/ state labor board regarding non-payment. I have never had this happen before but expect to be paid for my work since all the patients were charged for the visit and I never agreed to work for free.

Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

66 months ago

Tara in Southfield, Michigan said: according to the michigan wage and hour division they have to pay you but beware, if you dont have proof of an agreed wage, they can pay you minimum wage. it happened to me over 3 months ago and they havent paid me. I have to file a complaint and wait for an investigation.

Sue them in small claims court and bring copies of pay rate from other offices you have worked at OR from your local hygiene temp agency so that the court has evidence as to what dental hygienists are paid in your state. Then hopefully the judge would award you a fair/reasonable rate based on what other dentists or the temp agency pay.

Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

RDHCJ in Connecticut said: This just happened to me. I have told the office that I expect to be paid for my work. I am waiting for them to mail me a check. If they do not mail me a check within a week I will call them again and ask about it. Then if they still don't agree to pay me or mail me a check I will be filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office/ state labor board regarding non-payment. I have never had this happen before but expect to be paid for my work since all the patients were charged for the visit and I never agreed to work for free.

Did they state an hourly wage prior to your day of work? And was this a working interview or just a temp job for the day? You should first contact the labor board and I wouldn't wait a week...do it immediately! When this happened to me I filed a complaint with the labor board and was sent a check from the dentist within a week. One of the labor board people went to his office in person and made him write the check out right then. He was also put on report and that stayed on file for 5 years. You can also report the dentist to your state dental board. It doesn't matter if all of the patients were charged for their visits...the fact is you should be paid for your work, period! Trying to sue them in small claims would take too long and you'd have to pay the attorney so don't go that route. Use the labor board for what it's there for.

Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

The dentist is the one burning bridges if he/she doesn't pay people for work. Nobody should be expected to work for free, nor should they even consider "balancing" their earned pay against a professional relationship gone bad due to something that was the fault of the employer. It is wrong not to be paid. It is right to take action to get paid, respecting yourself and your worth even if others do not. Period.

Reply - Report abuse

kacynbk@*****.*** in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

shelly in Atlanta, Georgia said: I was contacted by Choiceone Dental in Suwanee to do a working interview about 3 weeks ago (6+ hours w/no lunch or break). When it was time to leave, The office manager and receptionist both seem clueless about pay. They couldn't tell me when I would get paid. I was told to copy my DL and leave a mailing address. At this point I felt funny because normally I'm paid that day or @ least within the week. I Called the office about 5 times over the next 3 weeks to speak to the office mananger and was told that she was busy and would call me back (NOT!). Finally, I went to the office at which point they looked at me like they've never seen me before in there life. When I told the office manager my name, She proceded to tell me that the checks for All the Hygienist they had work would mailed in the morning (NOT!). Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I really could care less about working for these people but our family is having finacial issues right now and I would really like to be paid for my time. Any Advice??

This has happened to me too! a working interview for 5 hrs turned into nightmare when they wouldn't pay me "which is against the law by the way"? the way I handled it was to call their bluff? you see they "never" told me i was working for free till the end of my working interview? I've got over 20years exp in the dental field and i don't work for free for anyone anytime anywhere and i know this practice is illegal but if you didn't fill out a W2 the labor board can't help with the complaint, i called an attorney who told me its just not worth it for such a little amount? small claims is a long process to get a case heard?...so I did the unthinkable I got 2 pieces of cardboard made a sign saying "I worked here in good faith and they won't pay me"! and stood outside their office with my sign for about an hour before someone came out with a check for me!

Reply - Report abuse

judel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

You must report and/or sue them!

Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Shelly, it happened to me once...I went for a "4 hours" working interview in this"prestigeous" dental office "Golden Marashi" in Los Angeles, CA...after a week nobody called me to say anything much less about the payment for those hours so I called the Office and the Manager just told me that she was going to remind her boss Dr. Marashi who never called back, after 3 weeksfrom
the try out I called again so the Manager told me she was gonna send me the check through the Mail, so she did but I was ready to submit a complaint for those non paid hours...you should
do the same, these abusive people want to have "free services" with the expectation that people will be so stupid they won't claim their money...lets stop these actions!!

Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

62 months ago

Contact the office and politely say that you want to make sure they have your correct address on file because you still have not received your pay. If they refuse to pay you tell them "that is against the law" and that either they can pay you or you can waste their time by taking them to small claims court.
By law they only have to pay you, sadly, minimum wage. However they dont necessarily know this.
I have had this happen 3 times. All I have had to do is simply call and make it clear that I get paid for working. And that it is against the law not to pay me. I never agreed to a free working interview. Ask them to immediately mail you a check or you will have to file a complaint against them (tell them this) with the state labor board, which WILL investigate their practices, AND you will take them to small claims court.
If they still do not pay you then contact your state's labor board, which might be through the office of the state attorney general, and file an anonymous complaint against them. AND take them to small claims.
Most dentists will pay up (all 3 did for me) when you make it clear that it is against the law not to pay and that you aren't going to go away unless you are paid. Remind them when and how long you worked for them.

PS in the future always ask "what is the pay rate for the working interview" ahead of time. If they say it is an unpaid interview then do not accept it and walk out.

Reply - Report abuse

CBoxton in Cedar Creek, Texas

60 months ago

I am a recent graduate and this happened to me. I should have known that the office was shady when I learned they were rationing out gloves and mask. I was seriously taken back by them asking me to do a working interview for free but I was so desperate for a job and gaining experience that I did it. I was hired, worked 20 days, then was let go , in which they proceeded to not pay me my last two weeks until a month and a half later. In that month, they ignored my calls and emails. I was met with hostility when I showed up to the office to find out whats going on. The COO called me and told me that the office is a professional establishment and i can not show up unannounced. They were crazy. I dont understand how people can fool aroumd with people's money and lives. And when I got paid it was missing wages!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.