Western Career College vs. Sacramento City College

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 124)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

55 months ago

Gabby86 in san jose, California said: Hello I just finished my Pre DH prerequisites, and I am looking into attending Carrington College Dental Hygiene program, I see negative and positive comments in this blog so I am a little bit confused. I went to their orientation and I loved it, the instructor seemed very passionate about what she does and has a great “resume” she worked at Cabrillo college and at UOP. The campus is very engaging and the DH classroom and work area is separated from everyone else, It is pricey but its different from all other programs I have read about, they find patients and supply with tutors and all the materials needed, not only that but students loans payments don’t start 6 months after graduation they start almost a year from graduation she makes sure to give you time to look for a job. Yes I agree there are negatives about this school, financial aid and administrative people don’t get back to you and forget about you at times, and they are very unprofessional, but you see the difference when you cross into the hygiene program, section. Just as there are bad stories there are good stories… I have heard the worse case scenarios in this blog but I have also personally met two girls who attended that school and graduated successfully, and now have jobs.
Has anyone graduated recently from Carrington College in SAC or in SJ?

The job situation in DH has significantly changed over the last five years. DH is NO LONGER the field it once was. With so many DH programs opening up all over the USA and Canada---there is an overabundance of DHs looking for work. It is not just the economy...for your own sake, and if your marks are good....check into OTHER HEALTH FIELDS where you can utilize your previous coursework. Many of us have jobs but know and understand what has been happening within DH and are looking out for potential students who are believing all these school's lies about the "98% employed right out of school".....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

55 months ago

Hi Waterbug and 30yr VET, Why do individuals continue to BELIEVE the schools and the VERY few that say "DH is wonderful, I work when I want, benefits, 50 an hr., etc...." . People....30 VET is working in an office and is saying the DH field is not the field to go into anymore...why? BECAUSE SHE CARES!!! Waterbug recently was "in the right place at the right time" and was fortunate to find her NEW position, she has the skills, knowledge, cert's and licenses...but, it to is a crapshoot...to find a decent workplace that you are appreciated and can COUNT ON your paycheck....I work PT in 2 good offices, minus the ben's, etc....we all have great skills, but with the oversaturation of the field, WE ARE TELLING YOU, that whether or not you have a 4.0 in school, etc...when you get out your are competing ; not a healthy comp.! for a job...no stability, work hours THEY need, ben's...ha, and a set paycheck that is FAIR...NOT HAPPENING. Retirement pkg...not happening. Passion is great , but it doesn't pay the bills or give you a life that's comforable down the road...heyday gone, struggling for many yrs. to come....schools and most of the FT RDH's advice? Not the norm...reality ......if you go this route can you payback your loans, find enough work to support a decent/ not over the top lifestyle...think FORWARD TO YOUR RETIREMENT...BEN'S, ETC... this is not happening for RDH, most of us in todays market. To go into a field that is saturated is like an Ostrich with his head in the sand...at least as a DA you may more likely find ben's...if you have family in dental even better. Go beyond the "staging" of the field by schools, FT RDH's, govt/BLS and online articles...they are not the current situation. Speak with MANY in the field across the board as far as their employment situation...how many offices do they work in REGULARLY, benefits, perks....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

55 months ago

Hi Exp, so glad to hear you've found work. You and I have been at it for a long time, and finally something paid off. I hesitate to say anything positive in case it encourages others to choose DH as their goal, but they need to know that we both have a lot of experience under our belts, and it isn't what you know, but who you know in my case. It was devastating to be replaced by a new grad and be out on the street desperately looking for anything after 15 years of always, always having work. And it really was a case of who I knew, and being at the right place, being somewhat assertive, and luck that led me to my current position.

People, please listen to 30 yr. vet, Exp., rdh4, nojobs, Suzanne and all the others who are telling you to choose some other field. We're on the inside and know the field intimately, and are not being negative. Reality sucks sometimes, and this is one of those times. DH is NOT the way to go.

Happy New Year to everyone you all. Wishing you the best year yet, with many great surprises and lots of joy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

tk in Yuba City, California

54 months ago

i was wondering if they hired guys for dental hygienist? I wanted to be one maybe if its a good idea for a guy to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lslovbabe in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

ashley in Sacramento, California said: Sac City accepts 24 students a year. It is a very competitive program with nice facilities and a fabulous staff. I believe the program begins in August. It is significantly less expensive than WCC. I can not speak for the the WCC program, since I don't know much about it, only that it is very expensive and you graduate a few months earlier. I recently graduated from the DH program at SCC and I think I can speak for the entire 2009 class when I say our experience there was a great one. I loved the people, curriculum, and facilities. I left with the feeling that a DH career is going to be wonderful with so many doors and options in the field. I feel very prepared for finding work (they do not place you). I would HIGHLY recommend the SCC DH program to anyone who is interested.

hi there...how long did it take you to get into the SCC DH program??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joanne in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

vr in Folsom, California said: -i had a tour today in carrington college sacramento and its actually 5-6 years to become a dental hygienist. They explained to me that by your 1st year you just get your dental assistant certificate and then you have two steps to go become you become a dh.

That is a joke. A friend of mine visited carrington to look into their xray tech program and they told her she had to do medical assisting first through them before she could get into the xray tech program. Don't get your Dental assisting through them or any other school. It's not worth the cost. I got hired on with no experience and learned on the job. I took a few courses for xray license and coronal polish and after a year I took the state tests to become and RDA. I want to do hygeine and have considered Carrington for that as a last resort. I want to get into Sac City college because of the cost and I know hygeinists that have been there and liked it. Besides in reality you learn a lot of your skill on the job just like many other jobs.

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

54 months ago

Joanne in Sacramento, California said: That is a joke. A friend of mine visited carrington to look into their xray tech program and they told her she had to do medical assisting first through them before she could get into the xray tech program. Don't get your Dental assisting through them or any other school. It's not worth the cost. I got hired on with no experience and learned on the job. I took a few courses for xray license and coronal polish and after a year I took the state tests to become and RDA. I want to do hygeine and have considered Carrington for that as a last resort. I want to get into Sac City college because of the cost and I know hygeinists that have been there and liked it. Besides in reality you learn a lot of your skill on the job just like many other jobs.

What are the number of students graduating, recently from the schools, how many have jobs with fair pay and reg/set pay; pay to live on , payback their loans, etc? These are things you want to research for ANY program and the areas: states you may want to live in after graduation....is this the only program:DH you are interested in? Are there any other programs at those schools that might be a tangent of DH as far as pre-req's? Please, talk to RDH's in the field, MANY. Many of us are PT, not FT or have benefits...look at the whole picture in your research. GL on your choice. Have you been reading the many threads on this forum? We hope that you consider our advice of the field also in your choice. Students to RDH's in the field 30 + yrs. Negative, positive...thoughtful, rude, inconsiderate and then others who've experienced alot with insight as to DH through the years....GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tooth_fairy415 in San Francisco, California

54 months ago

Hi everyone,

I just applied to a few DH programs and have a few interviews coming up, so I wondering what kind of questions do they typically ask?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

tooth_fairy415 in San Francisco, California said: Hi everyone,

I just applied to a few DH programs and have a few interviews coming up, so I wondering what kind of questions do they typically ask?

Thanks

Do you know anyone who has gone to the schools you've applied to...they may be able to inform you of ?'s asked. Some might be: Why did you choose our school? Do you have any dental knowledge/background? What do you feel you will get out of our program? What do you feel you can bring to our school as a student here? ...personality ?'s, science background, people person....google this...would love to see what you come up with...GL...Please really research beyond "a dream of mine" or "my passion"...are there other programs at this school in medical that you may also be interested in? Just to keep your options open for other possible interviews in related fields. GL , get back to us with what you found different in their questioning...others may benefit from it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cleanteeth in Vacaville, California

54 months ago

FYI~ CODA (COMMITTEE ON DENTAL AUXILIARIES) approves all dental hygiene programs in California. They are the ones who are allowing too many dental hygiene programs to open, especially the "for-profit=proprietary" schools. As a result, approx 70% of dental hygiene loans are currently in default. Having been a RDH for 15 yrs and currently unemployed (lost a 5 day/wk position and was replaced with new RDH grad hired 1 day/wk), not only is the market over-saturated, but the economy has forced DDSs to trim their budgets. I WOULD NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO PURSUE DENTAL HYGIENE UNTIL CODA PUTS A FREEZE ON ALL NEW DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAMS.
As it stands now, SCC graduates a class every 24 months and, concurrently, WCC (now Carrington)
graduates a class every 18 mons. Keep in mind, that approx 51% of Calif DDSs DO NOT EMPLOY ANY RDHs! They do the cleanings themselves in 20 mins and bill the same as a RDH that takes one hr.

ryley in Yuba City, California

54 months ago

i was wondering if men can be hired as dental hygieniest? Or any men takes dh class in wcc and scc?

Gendizzle in Roseville, California

54 months ago

DH definitely not the field it once was, really wish I decided to be an RN. If I were starting over I would get my RN or go to dental school. I love DH, but it is so hard to find work. Cannot find full-time, no medical, dental is minimal if you want your dentist to begrudgingly work on you "for free". I would rather go to another dentist and pay full price. Certainly no vacation or holiday, this vocation is a joke.

53 months ago

burlybird in Roseville, California said: My daughter Graduated with a BS in Dental Hygiene from University of the Pacific in Stockton, a great but pricey program. She has been searching diligently for 5 months now and has went to three working interviews that were 40 miles or so from home. She had alot of competition with dentists having 10 or more other candidates for working interviews who had experience. She has not yet found a job and her student loans become payable Dec 2009.
All I can add from a parents prospective is, that all the schools only care about moving people in and out to keep their programs going and their administrators with a nice fat paycheck! They really do not have any resources for job placement nor do I think they care. Its all about the money and their student count! To all out there looking for a job, Good Luck, I have not seen it this bad in my 50 years in this area.

Well spoken by a parent of a young DH grad. I hope prospective students read this and take heed. We are concerned about poor job opportunities in the DH field that we have never seen before. It is NOT simply about the economy, it is about the excessive DH programs and the overabundance of DH in every state and every province. The DH programs want your money and then they really don't care about what happens after you graduate in terms of a job. The schools and the instructors NEED YOUR TUITION MONEY to keep afloat.....so they will promise you anything. It really doesn't matter WHAT school you graduated from anymore.....there are just far too many DH grads out there and not enough jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Gendizzle in Roseville, California said: DH definitely not the field it once was, really wish I decided to be an RN. If I were starting over I would get my RN or go to dental school. I love DH, but it is so hard to find work. Cannot find full-time, no medical, dental is minimal if you want your dentist to begrudgingly work on you "for free". I would rather go to another dentist and pay full price. Certainly no vacation or holiday, this vocation is a joke.

Gendizzle,
So true....DH is not the field it once was. There are so many avenues within nursing---grad courses, specialties, nursing practitioner, stronger association/unions. I hope people don't just listen to the rhetoric of the private DH schools saying 'there are tons of jobs'....when there aren't.

markmanrdh in Portage, Michigan

53 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Well spoken by a parent of a young DH grad. I hope prospective students read this and take heed. We are concerned about poor job opportunities in the DH field that we have never seen before. It is NOT simply about the economy, it is about the excessive DH programs and the overabundance of DH in every state and every province. The DH programs want your money and then they really don't care about what happens after you graduate in terms of a job. The schools and the instructors NEED YOUR TUITION MONEY to keep afloat.....so they will promise you anything. It really doesn't matter WHAT school you graduated from anymore.....there are just far too many DH grads out there and not enough jobs.

Very well said. I have always thought that. We have about half a dozen DH programs over here. They all tell the graduates that the job market is good. The ADHA should get involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

khanh in Stockton, California

53 months ago

lslovbabe in Sacramento, California said: hi there...how long did it take you to get into the SCC DH program??

2 years to complete required courses and courses for graduating DH PROGRAM, then lucky I only apply one time and got in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Glendale, California

53 months ago

Best of luck to you as you start that very expensive and possibly not accredited school. I have been a hygienist for more than 30 years and unemployed for the last eight months. I a telling you that if you are determined to pursue this field do so with your eyes wide open and LISTEN to those of us who have been there and done that. The jobs are just not there and the ones that are have a zillion applicants. I can't tell you how many resumes I have sent out and not even gotten a "thank you for your interest, but..." reply. I have an interview tomorrow (first one in 8 mos)and have had only one call from a temp agency. Do not get yourself into debt that you can't pay back. Nursing is a great option!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

53 months ago

^ Good luck Dorothy. And good advice. There are too many very sad stories on these threads, yet people still persist in believing that it only happens to others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Hi Dorothy, Good luck on your interview. Sound advice from an experienced RDH.

tooth_fairy415 in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

Hey guys!

I applied to Carrington College in San Jose and should be finding out sometime next week whether or not I got in. Wish me luck =]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Daly City, California

52 months ago

tooth_fairy415 in San Francisco, California said: Hey guys!

I applied to Carrington College in San Jose and should be finding out sometime next week whether or not I got in. Wish me luck =]

Hey good luck! I was wondering if you were able to get in?

tooth_fairy415 in Modesto, California

52 months ago

Carrie in Daly City, California said: Hey good luck! I was wondering if you were able to get in?

Thanks and yes I got in!! Super excited! Are you going to school for DH or planning on it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Carrie in Daly City, California said: Hey good luck! I was wondering if you were able to get in?

Not sure if the first comment got posted so this is for Carrie. Yes I did end up getting in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ira in San Jose, California

51 months ago

Hey tooth fairy, Keep us posted! I am planning to apply to Carrington College in San Jose in a year or so. I would love your opinion on the school. What helps to get in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

ira in San Jose, California said: Hey tooth fairy, Keep us posted! I am planning to apply to Carrington College in San Jose in a year or so. I would love your opinion on the school. What helps to get in?

Sure i'll let you what it's like once things get rolling! Hmm I'm not sure what necessarily helps but I had a decent GPA, I did DA, community service and some LOR's. If you have any questions feel free to contact me =]

Jes Web in Sacramento, California

51 months ago

here4info in Sacramento, California said: Hi all

Can someone tell me about the dental Hygiene Program in sacramento city college. .If in any way is it inferior to the WCC?? When both the colleges are offering associate degree , why is such huge difference in their tution fee??..Also when does the DH program start for Sacramento city college? How many students are let in the program??? How many pass the boards?

I will appreciate any help

Thanks

The reason for the huge difference in the tuition fee is because Sac City college's Hyg program selects their students for the program by lottery. This means that MANY people apply and only a few get picked. I know a hygienist who got in her first year of applying and then I know another one who waited 6years to get in! So, If you pay more at WCC, you can get in ALOT quicker.... Hope that helps.

Burlybird in Granite Bay, California

50 months ago

Just a thought you might consider. My daughter graduatd in 2009 from university of the pacific Dental Hygiene program cost of approximatly $150,000 (including her prequisites) A great program ( three years accelerated) providing a Bachelors Degree. The problem is, there is no work to speak of in the sacramento area, she drives to the bay area three times a week for work, a commute of 210 miles a day. If I were a person considering the large investment of time, energy, and money I would look into the nursing field or other medical services. There is such a limited amount of hygiene jobs out there the dentists have liteally hundreds of qualified applicants for their one Part Time Job! There is usually no benefits or paid vacation or other perks! The medical field has alot more to offer. Just a thought!

50 months ago

Burlybird in Granite Bay, California said: Just a thought you might consider. My daughter graduatd in 2009 from university of the pacific Dental Hygiene program cost of approximatly $150,000 (including her prequisites) A great program ( three years accelerated) providing a Bachelors Degree. The problem is, there is no work to speak of in the sacramento area, she drives to the bay area three times a week for work, a commute of 210 miles a day. If I were a person considering the large investment of time, energy, and money I would look into the nursing field or other medical services. There is such a limited amount of hygiene jobs out there the dentists have liteally hundreds of qualified applicants for their one Part Time Job! There is usually no benefits or paid vacation or other perks! The medical field has alot more to offer. Just a thought!

A very good thought IMO...unfortunately, some like to learn the hard way....no one is that unique; it's hard for all of us...you are not in DH but see what your daughter has to do to maintain a job in this field now....is she thinking of moving closer to her work to save on gas, commute time...and have a life? Plus being in CA...I bet the gas prices alone eat up alot of her paycheck....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Burlybird in Granite Bay, California

50 months ago

As of now she cannot move closer, she and her husband own their house. Yes, the gas prices are off the hook!!!!! approximatly $4.35 a gallon for the lowest grade and 4.65 or more for premium. diesel is about 4.65 a gallon. I'm sure it is going to go up the closer we get to memorial day. Yes, the job market sucks here. We have counting the bay area about 11 different colleges offering hygiene, only two that ofer a bachelors. The market is so saturated, but the student loans must be paid!

misskris in Rancho Cordova, California

49 months ago

can anyone tell me what prerequisite courses you need for the DH program. Do you need those same courses for all DH program, or can you bypass it in anyway?
thanks!!!!

Phillyboijr in San Jose, California

49 months ago

RDH from WCC San Jose in Los Gatos, California said: I graduated a year ago from the WCC DH program at the San Jose campus. I loved it! I truly enjoy that program even though I am 50k in debt right now. I got a job within a month of getting my license. The average pay for an RDH is about $50 an hour here in the south bay. I started out working 2 days a week and now I am doing about 4 to 5 days a week. Being a dental assistant already helped a lot!

Before WCC, I waited 2 years to get into DVC and also De Anza. It takes forever!

I highly recommend the DH program in WCC. They are the nicest and friendliest staff and faculty member. Try contacting them to get more information. The advisor guy for the DH program is very informative but really busy so be patient and keep trying.

Your comments sound sketchy. Especially when you consider the fact that De Anza does not and has not ever had a Dental Hygiene program.

Lady_akane22 - Dental Hygienist in Orange, California

49 months ago

Bulybird,
I'm in very similar situation as your daughter. I graduated at NYU in 2009 & my loan is right up there. I returned to Cali to get married while waiting for my CA license. I'm currently struggling to find a stable job. I work part-time as a hygienist, some weeks I work 1 to 3 days & other weeks no hygiene days whatsoever. Since there is a limited amount of hygiene job & I applied for DA position just to bring some sort of income. I have 5 yrs of DA experience prior to applying to DH school. Thank goodness my husband work but still. I know a few DDS who don't hire DH b/c they don't have enough pt's for themselves. I know 2 DDS are in the process of selling their practice. Also, I volunteer my DH time to a nonprofit organization in hopes to gain more experience & network. Non-profit are letting people go slowly b/c they don't having the fundings. I thought about going back to school, but it's hard b/c I classes are full & tried to petition as well. I a not a Economy is hitting everyone hard. To all the Future DH, I don't want to stop u for pursuing your dreams, but I justed want to share my experience w/ u.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lady_akane22 - Dental Hygienist in Orange, California

49 months ago

Lady_akane22 - Dental Hygienist in Orange, California said: Bulybird,
I'm in very similar situation as your daughter. I graduated at NYU in 2009 & my loan is right up there. I returned to Cali to get married while waiting for my CA license. I'm currently struggling to find a stable job. I work part-time as a hygienist, some weeks I work 1 to 3 days & other weeks no hygiene days whatsoever. Since there is a limited amount of hygiene job & I applied for DA position just to bring some sort of income. I have 5 yrs of DA experience prior to applying to DH school. Thank goodness my husband work but still. I know a few DDS who don't hire DH b/c they don't have enough pt's for themselves. I know 2 DDS are in the process of selling their practice. Also, I volunteer my DH time to a nonprofit organization in hopes to gain more experience & network. Non-profit are letting people go slowly b/c they don't having the fundings. I thought about going back to school, but it's hard b/c I classes are full & tried to petition as well. The economy is hitting everyone hard. To all the Future DH, I don't want to stop u for pursuing your dreams, but I justed want to share my experience w/ u.

Opps, I meant the economy is hitting everyone hard.

49 months ago

Burlybird in Granite Bay, California said: Just a thought you might consider. My daughter graduatd in 2009 from university of the pacific Dental Hygiene program cost of approximatly $150,000 (including her prequisites) A great program ( three years accelerated) providing a Bachelors Degree. The problem is, there is no work to speak of in the sacramento area, she drives to the bay area three times a week for work, a commute of 210 miles a day. If I were a person considering the large investment of time, energy, and money I would look into the nursing field or other medical services. There is such a limited amount of hygiene jobs out there the dentists have liteally hundreds of qualified applicants for their one Part Time Job! There is usually no benefits or paid vacation or other perks! The medical field has alot more to offer. Just a thought!

Well said.

ltw11 in Concord, California

48 months ago

Lady_akane22 - Dental Hygienist in Orange, California said: Bulybird,
I'm in very similar situation as your daughter. I graduated at NYU in 2009 & my loan is right up there. I returned to Cali to get married while waiting for my CA license. I'm currently struggling to find a stable job. I work part-time as a hygienist, some weeks I work 1 to 3 days & other weeks no hygiene days whatsoever. Since there is a limited amount of hygiene job & I applied for DA position just to bring some sort of income. I have 5 yrs of DA experience prior to applying to DH school. Thank goodness my husband work but still. I know a few DDS who don't hire DH b/c they don't have enough pt's for themselves. I know 2 DDS are in the process of selling their practice. Also, I volunteer my DH time to a nonprofit organization in hopes to gain more experience & network. Non-profit are letting people go slowly b/c they don't having the fundings. I thought about going back to school, but it's hard b/c I classes are full & tried to petition as well. I a not a Economy is hitting everyone hard. To all the Future DH, I don't want to stop u for pursuing your dreams, but I justed want to share my experience w/ u.

Thank you for sharing this. I was going to pursue DH only because it kept my interest in the field of dentistry and to support my 2 kids (single parent). From the sound of a lot of posts maybe I should stick to my childhood plan of being a dentist. I have most of my required classes done for either program and I already have a bachelors. Who knew this would be so bad???

Lisa in Citrus Heights, California

48 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: The job situation in DH has significantly changed over the last five years. DH is NO LONGER the field it once was. With so many DH programs opening up all over the USA and Canada---there is an overabundance of DHs looking for work. It is not just the economy...for your own sake, and if your marks are good....check into OTHER HEALTH FIELDS where you can utilize your previous coursework. Many of us have jobs but know and understand what has been happening within DH and are looking out for potential students who are believing all these school's lies about the "98% employed right out of school".....

I agree. Because of all of these private dental hygiene programs at private schools our value as hygienists are decreasing. Some things to check into before enrolling in the program are listed job openings, what your interest rate will be after graduation. I am aware that dentists are paying private school grads below average rates.

Carmen in Daly City, California

46 months ago

I have a friend who has been a dental assistant for 13 years and she finally decided to go to hygiene school, but she said that she never considered WCC because her boss said that they prefer those who attend the community college programs rather than those who attended the accelerated programs such as WCC.

Carmen in Daly City, California

46 months ago

...also there are so sooo many dental offices-one in every center or one every block. Most dentists don't even have patients schedule through the whole day, so why would they hire a hygienist to clean the teeth when they can do it themselves?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tiredofteeth in Linden, Michigan

45 months ago

DavidY in Roseville, California said: Is there anyone who finished the DH program @ Sac City? I understand that it is extremely cheaper than Western Career becuase it is state governed, but are there any negatives to Sac City since there aren't many people applying for their DH program? Any info is highly appreciated. Many thanks.

When I applied at Sac City in the 80's there were over 600 applicants for 24 spots. Very competitive. You had to have all prereq's done and GPA close to 4.0 to even be considered. It was a great school. I would choose it over WCC. Maybe less competitive now if their are less applicants?

tiredofteeth in Linden, Michigan

45 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Please read other threads for the Dental Hygiene field. The job situation for many isn't enough to pay monthly bills, or loans, etc. back to who you borrowed in the first place. I'd recommend seeing what the job situation is in the state you wish to ultimately work in...NOW. A lot of backstabbing for a job, and the Dentists are inundated with many....MANY....resumes. Not a lot of stability, and don't count on ben's (you'll think more about this as you age)...being real about the field. Are there any other science related fields you might be interested in? Nursing? ....or maybe becoming a Dentist (they are in demand, not R.D.H.'s). It's a lot of $$$ for 2-3yr. program with a ?able future ($30-40,000).

WOW. I made almost 100k/yr in Calif 12 yrs ago and had job offers coming in all the time!! Maybe things have changed???

Nick in Mission, Texas

45 months ago

ltw11 in Concord, California said: Thank you for sharing this. I was going to pursue DH only because it kept my interest in the field of dentistry and to support my 2 kids (single parent). From the sound of a lot of posts maybe I should stick to my childhood plan of being a dentist. I have most of my required classes done for either program and I already have a bachelors. Who knew this would be so bad???

Good luck with dentistry in California. I graduated with my DDS in California and had to move to another state to find a job. Granted, if you're willing to settle for $90,000 a year before taxes mind you, as a dentist who's $300,000 in debt, then California will be fine. I didn't want to end up paying my student loans for the rest of my life.

RDHfromCCC in Modesto, California

44 months ago

LisaRDH75 in Citrus Heights, California said: Sac City is way superior to WCC because of the criteria and classes are much more detailed in comparison to WCC. You can also transfer to a four year college after attending Sac City college. But I can tell you that WCC is making a lot of money off of all the poor girls that decide to go there. Add up your tuition plus the interest over time and you will see how expensive it really is.

This person is highly biased, the classes are accredited at CCC, and it is in no way accelerated or corner cutting, it is just full time, with no long summer breaks to drag out your education to take 2+ years. The "poor girls" you speak of at CCC have THE HIGHEST board passing rate well superior to that of Sac City. The facilities are impecible, spotless, and brand new. I passed my state board at 100% and my national board at 88% with education from CCC. My tuition was costly, but there is no lottery or waiting for enrollment, but your grades in pre-reqs must be impecible to be accepted. I had a 3.9 GPA in all pre-reqs and was accepted on my first try. The facilities are far superior to Sac City, and the campus is much easier to access with parking and classrooms all closely located along with instructor offices, etc. You get escorted to boards by your instructors and have a 4 month course of board prep, where most schools encourage you to go pay for money wasting weekend courses. My class had a 100% pass rate on clinical boards an 28 out of 29 passed national boards. The tuition is less that one year salary as a full time hygienist, so your loans can be easily paid off. It is a high quality school with high quality education. It is funny that some think you could sit for boards by attending some quickie school that didnt fully educate you. One of the head instructors at CCC left Sac City to teach there, so that should tell you something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHfromCCC in Modesto, California

44 months ago

Carmen in Daly City, California said: I have a friend who has been a dental assistant for 13 years and she finally decided to go to hygiene school, but she said that she never considered WCC because her boss said that they prefer those who attend the community college programs rather than those who attended the accelerated programs such as WCC.

There is no such thing as an "accelerated program" CCC is fully accredited, meaning their education meets the states standards that are the same as city colleges and UC schools. The only thing faster about CCC is that you do not have 2 three month long summer breaks and two 4 week christmas breaks, you go to school full time, tuesday thru friday, 8-5 for 18 months with a one week break in between each 4 month term. So minus the long break schedule of a typical community college program where you may have one or two classes a day, you go all day, bust it out, get it done and finish your education almost a year before a city college. Breaks= almost 9 months of time in a 2 year city college program. vs. 4 weeks of break in a ful time CCC program that is 18 motnhs.

burlybird

44 months ago

Here's the big question. Do you have a FULL TIME JOB? Just wondering.

Lisa in Fremont, California

44 months ago

burlybird said: Here's the big question. Do you have a FULL TIME JOB? Just wondering.

I have a full time job as an RDH and have been in the dental field for 20 years. I do not trust Carrington college and would like to know what their job placement is. Most of these students will take hygiene jobs at a reduced salary or have to be patient because hygiene jobs are scarce right now. Please look at the Sacramento Bee ads and Craigslist. I actually plan on finishing my Masters in Public Health to some day run a dental hygiene program that has the student's best interest as a priority instead of making money off of these girls that may not get a job. I did in fact attend Western Career College as a dental assistant and think the program is ridiculously easy. A lot different than a normal college. My girlfriend also went into Carrington college, recently and the recruiter tried to make even more money off of her by making her take a dental assisting program there. I would highly recommend that these students have back office experience before applying to dental offices. Sacramento State will not accept the classes towards your BS later and I would ask Sacramento State that question instead if Carrington. I have quite a few friends that are Hygienists and these are our views.

Lisa in Fremont, California

44 months ago

Joanne in Sacramento, California said: That is a joke. A friend of mine visited carrington to look into their xray tech program and they told her she had to do medical assisting first through them before she could get into the xray tech program. Don't get your Dental assisting through them or any other school. It's not worth the cost. I got hired on with no experience and learned on the job. I took a few courses for xray license and coronal polish and after a year I took the state tests to become and RDA. I want to do hygeine and have considered Carrington for that as a last resort. I want to get into Sac City college because of the cost and I know hygeinists that have been there and liked it. Besides in reality you learn a lot of your skill on the job just like many other jobs.

You do not need to go through their DA program, but it is a great way for them to make more money and Hygienists should have some back office experience.

Phillip in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

The truth is for-profit schools such Western Career College/Carrington et cetera are ruining the field in many ways.

- They are simply looking for students who meet the bare minimum requirements and are ready to be saddled with $55,000+ bill. If you can do that, you're in. Simple as that.

- They entice prospective students with the promise of a shorter stay in school (usually a 1.5 year vs. 2 years at a CC program). Because of that, they pump out students that aren't of good quality. Sorry to say, but it's true. These students have flooded the market which gives dentists vast options to choose from; if you won't work for $30 an hour, they'll find someone that will. Couple that with the tough economy and it's a horrible stew of circumstances for someone looking for a job out of school.

- I will say I'm troubled by a few members on this board who seem to have made it their crusade to talk prospective students out of enrolling into a program. These hygienists already have jobs in a shaky market and are trying to do their little part maintaining job security by discouraging future competition. I've seen some of the same names and characters on other message boards too.

Phillip in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

RDHfromCCC in Modesto, California said: There is no such thing as an "accelerated program" CCC is fully accredited, meaning their education meets the states standards that are the same as city colleges and UC schools. The only thing faster about CCC is that you do not have 2 three month long summer breaks and two 4 week christmas breaks, you go to school full time, tuesday thru friday, 8-5 for 18 months with a one week break in between each 4 month term. So minus the long break schedule of a typical community college program where you may have one or two classes a day, you go all day, bust it out, get it done and finish your education almost a year before a city college. Breaks= almost 9 months of time in a 2 year city college program. vs. 4 weeks of break in a ful time CCC program that is 18 motnhs.

Lol, yes, you get the benefit of getting out faster but at the cost of $35-50K tuition bill saddled to you. Actually, much much more when you factor in the outrageous interest rates that are added to the original loan amount.

CCC is also being investigated because its student board passage rate is hovering around the minimum acceptable rate. So that "full accreditation" that's being trumpeted is at risked of being revoked.

Also, you ask any dentist and they'll tell you the quality of students in general that are being pumped out of these schools.

RDH in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

RDHfromCCC in Modesto, California said: There is no such thing as an "accelerated program" CCC is fully accredited, meaning their education meets the states standards that are the same as city colleges and UC schools.

"Fully Accredited" (By CODA) so you can take boards yes....but TRADE schools like CCC are NOT Regionally Accredited like a community college would be. Why? Because they are not really a 'College" per se. They are a TRADE school. This means while you can take your boards and get licensed you can never really "do" anything with your "degree" from CCC besides clean teeth. If you try to transfer into a University to complete your Bachelors they will laugh in your face. Regional Accreditation of a school is required to transfer your stuff to University/Colleges.

Jennifer lopez in Sacramento, California

44 months ago

If I could do it all over again I would have payed the extra money to go to carrington college. From what I have heard the faculty is incredibly helpful and very nice over there. Sacramento city college DH program is great, but let me warn you now... the faculty IS NOT NICE. The main instructor for clinic is probably one of the meanest people I have ever met. She treats you like you are stupid in front of patients and goes out of her way to make sure you feel as though you will never graduate. Of course, I did graduate and realize NOW that it is not the end of the world, but going through it at the time felt like hell. I would have so much anxiety about going into Carols section in clinic and having her as my instructor for that week that I would make myself sick. She is incredibly talented but in my opinion she should be working in private practice and NOT instructing. A good instructor is patient and kind and does not try to hurt others by making them feel like they don't deserve to be a hygienist. I am not the only one who feels this way... MANY MANY MANY other students from the past have said the same thing. Hopefully this will help someone make a choice that is best for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.