Why do you want to be dental hygiene?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 83 of 83)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

dr trivikram in Hyderabad, India

77 months ago

i need suggestion that doing dental hygiene course can we get jobs there and what is the condition of hygeinest . can a dental hygienist establish his on clinic, as we dont have good jobs as a dentist in india i am planing to do that course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Odessa, Florida

76 months ago

Wow! The comments posted on her are depressing I wish I can give hugs. My mother and sister are both RDH . I am currently taking my prerequired classes for the Dental Hygeiene program and plan on applying this year 2010. My mother has been a RDH for 15yrs and sister 4yrs. I hear their conversations when they are on the phone, sound similar to the comments posted on her. My mom tells me to wait until I work in an dentist office as a RDH, and I will see how she feels. She says the front office people never get along with the back of the office the dental assistance are not friendly, she tries her best to be positive but the women that work in the office are mean and hateful for no apparent reason. I don't understand what is all the hate about? Is it jealously?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rdhcu in Parker, Colorado

76 months ago

I have found that woman are harder and less supportive to woman then the men are in Dentistry. Sad Very Sad
The Hygienist can not cross the receptionist in any manner. That person can make or break a Hygienist.
If Witch hunts were still fashionable I would have been hung years ago by receptionist and assistance.
And YOU KNOW WHAT????? I LOVE being a Hygienist. :) Over 30 years and a good day still sends me home High of the experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

BBH in Phoenix, Arizona said: The level of stress in my office is off the map! There are no jobs...as stated above. The hourly rate has lowered, due to oversaturation of the market.
I would never recommend this profession! I am looking to do something else. Overbooked, and the quality of the work I have seen from fellow hygienists drives me crazy. OK, feel better now. Sorry, bad week and want out!

We hear you Phoenix...what are you plans for something else...?

waterbug100 in Campbell River, British Columbia

76 months ago

Nikki..are you absolutely sure you want to go into DH? Besides all the issues your mom and sister have discussed with you, the current market is super saturated, and finding work is very difficult. And that's an understatement.

Please, read all the threads and maybe look at DH as an option sometime in the future. This is possibly the worst time ever to become a hygienist. Don't spend money on something that won't give back to you. There are other rewarding careers with stability, a strong united voice to support you, and job security. There is none of that, at this point, in DH..and not for a long time to come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Atlanta, Georgia

76 months ago

Could anyone tell me how the job market in Atlanta is?.....Is it as bad as everwhere else? I just got accepted to DH school but am very discouraged after reading all these comments. To any hygienists in Atlanta, (especially recent grads) how is the pay and what are your hours like? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rdhcu in Parker, Colorado

76 months ago

I just worked 9 hours straight, no break, then 30 more to clean up and restock my room. The part that bothers me?? No one even asked me if it was ok with me that they had me work like that. Thank God it isn't like that every day.

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

76 months ago

Tara in Atlanta, Georgia said: Could anyone tell me how the job market in Atlanta is?.....Is it as bad as everwhere else? I just got accepted to DH school but am very discouraged after reading all these comments. To any hygienists in Atlanta, (especially recent grads) how is the pay and what are your hours like? Thank you!

Hi, Contact the school you've been accepted to and ask if they have any recent grads' from the last class that keep in touch with the school...to see if you can contact them to pose your questions...also, keep reading the material on here of those from GA and or other states nearby...but for the overall of DH ...it's tough finding regular set work with the many staying in recent and soon to be's...many resumes, not enough interviews (few chosen by Dr. for the interview's), telemarketing your professional skills with all the bells and whistles: L.A., Nitrous , etc...many continue to better their prospects...not the economy, it's the many in the field. Maybe by the time you finish the opp's will be better...do all you can to add to your resume, even inbetween the schooling...it may help, couldn't hurt...GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia

76 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Yes.....i really wonder about the opportunities into the Military in Canada for some of these grads....? hummm.....I still think Nursing would give you more options than Dental Hygiene.

Hi 30 year vet:
I looked into the military. They're saturated as well. If one is a "direct entry hygienist" i.e., a person is already a qualified hygienist and doesn't need to be trained on their budget, they might accept the candidate but employ them as an assistant initially. When (if and when) a hygiene position opens up, then they'll scoot that candidate into that position, but like I said, the military positions are few and far between. And forget working as a civilian within the military. Those jobs are absolutely wonderful, and anyone who has one of those positions won't leave those "plums" for love nor money. I asked about military jobs at the PNC last month and that's how things are now.
Like your posts!

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia said: Hi 30 year vet:
I looked into the military. They're saturated as well. If one is a "direct entry hygienist" i.e., a person is already a qualified hygienist and doesn't need to be trained on their budget, they might accept the candidate but employ them as an assistant initially. When (if and when) a hygiene position opens up, then they'll scoot that candidate into that position, but like I said, the military positions are few and far between. And forget working as a civilian within the military. Those jobs are absolutely wonderful, and anyone who has one of those positions won't leave those "plums" for love nor money. I asked about military jobs at the PNC last month and that's how things are now.
Like your posts!

Thanks rdh4...yours as well. I've been wondering about the military opportunities. I am concerned for the grads from very established Dental Hygiene schools, who had to compete for these positions....had to excell in the first year of sciences to get in...who gave up going into other professions because they wanted to be a DH.... it's disgraceful. We didn't watch the gate....and the wolves came in....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

76 months ago

Just a comment, I've been hired for 3 different positions as a civilian with the army. 2 in AZ and 1 in NM. The last one in NM was Sept 09 and it was the highest paying at $18 an hour. I paid over $450 for pre-entry lab tests and drove from IN to interview at my own expense. How anyone can live on that pay in those parts of the country is beyond me. The benefits can't be beat but you have to contribute to them to get them and with that low of hourly pay you won't have anything left after contributions to live on! It would be great for someone with other means of income, maybe a spouse, but for a single person like me it's a deal breaker. The jobs may be great but who can afford it? You get raises but they're like 50 cents an hour! I spoke to a hygienist at the base who had been there 9 years and she was only making $21 an hour. So if you can pay rent and make it on that go for it. The application process took about 6 months before I got a start date. I was also promised in writing a $4000 relocation bonus and was sitting in my hotel with all my belongings in a moving van in route to NM when I was told that was a mistake. So just beware and good luck.

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia

76 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Just a comment, I've been hired for 3 different positions as a civilian with the army. 2 in AZ and 1 in NM. The last one in NM was Sept 09 and it was the highest paying at $18 an hour. I paid over $450 for pre-entry lab tests and drove from IN to interview at my own expense. How anyone can live on that pay in those parts of the country is beyond me. The benefits can't be beat but you have to contribute to them to get them and with that low of hourly pay you won't have anything left after contributions to live on! It would be great for someone with other means of income, maybe a spouse, but for a single person like me it's a deal breaker. The jobs may be great but who can afford it? You get raises but they're like 50 cents an hour! I spoke to a hygienist at the base who had been there 9 years and she was only making $21 an hour. So if you can pay rent and make it on that go for it. The application process took about 6 months before I got a start date. I was also promised in writing a $4000 relocation bonus and was sitting in my hotel with all my belongings in a moving van in route to NM when I was told that was a mistake. So just beware and good luck.

Hi Suzanne: I'm truly sorry to hear that your experience wasn't favourable. I guess that the Canadian situation for civilians may be different from the US. Canadian civilian hygienists who work for the military are paid less than their counterparts in private practice (but not by too much), and there are significant perks. A big difference is that there is no pressure WRT productivity and trying to achieve a monetary goal like there is in private practice; if you get a "no-show" it isn't the end of the world! Thank you for your info!

76 months ago

Oh to have no production goal sounds wonderful! And when a pt doesn't show we wonder if we can keep the doors open! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Just a comment, I've been hired for 3 different positions as a civilian with the army. 2 in AZ and 1 in NM. The last one in NM was Sept 09 and it was the highest paying at $18 an hour. I paid over $450 for pre-entry lab tests and drove from IN to interview at my own expense. How anyone can live on that pay in those parts of the country is beyond me. The benefits can't be beat but you have to contribute to them to get them and with that low of hourly pay you won't have anything left after contributions to live on! It would be great for someone with other means of income, maybe a spouse, but for a single person like me it's a deal breaker. The jobs may be great but who can afford it? You get raises but they're like 50 cents an hour! I spoke to a hygienist at the base who had been there 9 years and she was only making $21 an hour. So if you can pay rent and make it on that go for it. The application process took about 6 months before I got a start date. I was also promised in writing a $4000 relocation bonus and was sitting in my hotel with all my belongings in a moving van in route to NM when I was told that was a mistake. So just beware and good luck.

Hi Suzanne, What's happening with the....OM? and office about back pay, etc??? Thinking of you. Hope all is well. I'm taking a course right now so not on here as often as I would like....I think I'm one of the older ones in the class....big difference in what RDH's have to learn and KNOW now...ugh! I hope I pass it! Take care. :-)Exp

76 months ago

Hi exp! So glad to hear you're in class. What it's about? Know you will do fantastic! I've been the oldest also and it's a trip what goes through your mind.
Things are still rocky but I'm minding my own business and staying focused. Got a phone call last night from a friend who saw an ad on line for a full-time hygienist where I'm working. Really shook me up as I was just told last week what a good job I'm doing. So I'll find out in the morning what the scoop is on that but it doesn't look good.

76 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Hi exp! So glad to hear you're in class. What it's about? Know you will do fantastic! I've been the oldest also and it's a trip what goes through your mind.
Things are still rocky but I'm minding my own business and staying focused. Got a phone call last night from a friend who saw an ad on line for a full-time hygienist where I'm working. Really shook me up as I was just told last week what a good job I'm doing. So I'll find out in the morning what the scoop is on that but it doesn't look good.

Hi Suzanne, I hope all goes well tommorrow! If this ad pertains to your position, will you still be contacting corporate with the time...and $ owed you? I would also, let them know about all her actions if it is your job! It stinks and I think we need to be so careful now-a-day to "act" instead of being comfortable with OM's like her...not very prof. of her, and she isn't licensed but thinks she is the boss....do you have anything in writing of your good job? Who made this comment? See if the Dr. there would also, be willing to give you a reference in writing...if it was from him....about the co. I'm taking....don't want to comment on it until I pass....? in a couple of months (???). Take care...I stress too much, stinks, but it just seems so much more complicated when you have yrs. in and the courses are...ugh...nite.

candj1 in Lilburn, Georgia

68 months ago

wanna be DH in GA in Lilburn, Georgia said: I still don't know why I want to be a dental hygiene. Yes. flexible hour. I worked in the dentist for 2 yrs, and I love it. Pay is gOod. But that's not a best reason to say in my interview to get into the program. Can anyone help me to think what can be the best reason? I really want to be DH, but I don't know why. I just REALLY REALLy want to be one! =) And also What would be the pros and cons to become a DH?

I just relocated to Lilburn, GA from West Palm Beach, FL & I would be more than happy to give you a honest and unvarnished idea of what being a dental hygienist is like. I recently (01/2011) was licensed here in GA after taking the Central Regional Dental Test for Dental Hygiene (there is no reciprocity of licensure with FL RDH license)and made a perfect score of 100%. I have been practicing for over 9 years in FL and have seen the industry change in just my relatively brief career. Currently, I'm seeking a position myself and finding the market oversaturated just as you have been reading on the site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

68 months ago

Stacey in Franklin, Tennessee said: I believe you don't have to be rude to someone that is just asking a questions. Who cares how she write or speak, she didn't ask for ypue opinion stupid.

Speaking and presenting well is very important on interviews for any position. Also when asking questions on here...if one chooses to look around at the infinite number of repeat ?'s, you are likely to find the answers to help in your decision to go into DH. Think, pose your ?'s and you will, (99% sure) find what YOU need. Name calling does not show your intelligence. If you don't find a thread that helps, pass by it. She, didn't name call , why did you choose to? GL to all in any field, but esp. the field of DH...I don't see any reversal of our present "oversaturation" situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in New York, New York

67 months ago

I am currently studying dental hygiene and all these posts just scared the hell out of me.

Isnt there anything good about being a dental hygiene? Is everything as bad as all of you said?

Out of all the hardships, struggles and discrimitnation that you guys have faced, is there nothing good I or any future dental hygienist can take out of being a dental hygienist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anys6 in fort collins, Colorado

67 months ago

Worried in New York, New York said: I am currently studying dental hygiene and all these posts just scared the hell out of me.

Isnt there anything good about being a dental hygiene? Is everything as bad as all of you said?

Out of all the hardships, struggles and discrimitnation that you guys have faced, is there nothing good I or any future dental hygienist can take out of being a dental hygienist?

Yes, very rewarding if you find the right office. And that's the hard part :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Domo.Oregato

60 months ago

I have been hit with some major issues in life and now finally at 26 im more secure and ready to tackle the challenge of a career. I was flirting with the idea of Dental Hygenist or Pharmacist. I know I have a challenge ahead of me and a long ways to go, but i have to do something. So i was lookin on line trying to find some comments from the working professionals themselves about there field. I have to say im very scared about whet i am reading. I know people vent here, but this seems to be more than venting and some downright scary. It seems to be that many people in the profession are tired overworked and under appreciated. I want to apologize with all my heart for what you guys are going through. I also would like to thank for helping me make my decision. There will be one less person 'saturating' the rdh field. Im going to my accept my offer for prepharm. I was really hoping this would work. My confidence was given back to me by a rdh and i would love to return the favor on a daily basis. After reading these horror stories, Im just gonna have to live with appreciating you guys. But ill tell you what the next time I go to the dentist. I will take care to extra nice and curteous to my rdh. Thank you all for your time and insight. God Bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CRT in Suffolk, Virginia

60 months ago

Worried in New York, New York said: I am currently studying dental hygiene and all these posts just scared the hell out of me.

Did you get into the school your first time around?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shirlisa in Glen Carbon, Illinois

60 months ago

Dawn E in Columbus, Ohio said: I think first of all one wants to be a RDH because they would love what they do every day. I have been a dental hygienist since 1983. Do I have problems with my back, hands or neck? No, one needs to know how to sit properly, and not be bending over with the chair so low on the ground. Spend the money and get the glasses with the power to see without bending over, this helps the back tremendously, use the cavitron for heavy calculus deposits, and not hand scale. Several hygienists say it is too expensive, do you know it is tax deductible, as a matter of fact any thing purchased for your profession. Dental hygiene is a wonderful job, but like anything you have got to make it work for you, and care for the patients.

can i interview you for a school essay it will only be 15min

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

60 months ago

Stacey in Franklin, Tennessee said: I believe you don't have to be rude to someone that is just asking a questions. Who cares how she write or speak, she didn't ask for ypue opinion stupid.

Very nasty comment on your part. How about passing by what she says if it doesn't help you. Name calling on your part...show's a side of you I feel a Dentist wouldn't want in his/her office. There are alot of comments on here that you probably don't care for, so take what helps and pass by what doesn't...can you do that? We hope so, since you (are you?) an RDH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan27 in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

58 months ago

Ok. I'm not a RDH. I'm looking into some programs. I've held many jobs in many different industries eveywhere from the east coast to the west coast. I have found that at everyone of them I was underappreciated, underpaid, the bosses always wanted more from me and my co-workers were incompetant compared to me. The vast majority of these post say the same things. These are universal truths at all jobs. Anyone considerinng going in to this field should disreguard this negativity. You should consider weather the core job you will be preforming is what you would want to do. On a different note, I want to say the comments on the oversaturation in the field is food for thought and something I will take into consideration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rdh4u in Wichita Falls, Texas

54 months ago

Wow! I am glad I read all of this. I am going to say a prayer of thanks for all of my many blessings. One of those blessings is being able to see the positives in people and situations and be non-judgmental to others. Another, is that I have a great job. I work for more than one doctor and with several hygienists. I think we are some the best. I guess, it's different in Texas. I will admitt, it can be stressful, but I think that stress is a lot of times self induced. Just let some things role off occassionally! The pay is good. The hours are good. I like what I do and I do it to the best of my ability. The DH career has a high burn out rate, but I am not there after my 9 years. I will also pray for those of you in need of jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

granolagirl in Airdrie, Alberta

54 months ago

RDH girl,

Your blatant advertizing on this forum is testimony to the sad job reality outlined in all the posts from demoralized hygienists that have come to this site to vent long before you found it.

In a perfect world, the hygienist that was most skilled, compassionate, dedicated and committed to professionalism would get the best pay, opportunities and respect.

Alas, it is not a perfect world. And to see it through your eyes, the world being what it is, hygienists should be bubbly, enthusiastic, pretty(judging by how you look) and made-up...maybe even religious. In other words: perfect. But perfect for whom?

My clinical hygiene career ended because after 20 years I developed chronic tendonitis. I gave my heart, soul and the best part of my youthful vitality to my clients and my family. I am very proud of the level of integrity that I upheld. I have bravely gone back to school and this time I am going to be a real, not pseudo, professional in a non-female dominated field. There was a time when dental hygiene was respectable. I am afraid for the future for you hygienists out there and even more so for the patients. But I am moving onward and upward. Change will be up to all of you who are active in this field. The most important thing to remember is to be yourself and maintain your integrity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

SAD ENOUGH in Singapore, Singapore

52 months ago

dental hygiene dip. in singapore is not even recognised by dentist.
1 out of 100 dentist knows what our job scopes are.
the public doesn't even know the exsistence of us.

Kimberly in San Bernardino, California

46 months ago

@frombigapple in Brooklyn, New York:

I am in the EXACT SAME SITUATION as you. Can you please tell me now that 3 years have passed whether you went ahead with dental hygiene? If so how has the job market been for you post graduation? If not, what did you decide on instead? Thanks for your input. Anyone else please feel free to comment.

carla2 in santa fe, Texas

45 months ago

frombigapple in Brooklyn, New York said: as i read all these comments i became more and more depressed. i am currently taking my final prereqs and will be applying to the dental hygiene program. someone had mentioned that there should be less students in each program. well i thought that there are very few students. i find that in general the program is very competative to get into and its in a very few colleges. even in metro ny there are about maybe only 3 schools that have dh. but now i am simply scared of all of what i just read. i know that it is only a 2 year degree but its a difficult one and once done, u r a "professional." but what the heck does that mean? according to some of these hygienist its basically a slave job where u are unappreciated and have zero job security. omg, wow! so should i not go for this degree? seriously, this scares me. i can only hope that not all hygienist have such terrible experiences in this field. is there anyone here at all that has positive experiences. i totally understand the girls that are venting here but is it all that bad? i just want a good paying job that allows me to be a mom and leave my work behind when i am done for the day. are there any new yorkers here? is the situation in ny as bad as around the country? many people posting here are from other places. once i am done with my prereqs, if i am not going to be accepted in to dh program, i will have to choose something else. but if i do get in, r u hygienist saying its not worth it? many people say that nursing is a better way to go now. but what if thats just not my thing. i cannot see myself doing that. i just dont know anymore. i really hope that i get some responses because someone has to shed some light on this for me. this is my future and i need to deside soon. thanks for reading.

you should get out now before you waste your life. the same prereqs can be used for other jobs in health care.

carla2 in santa fe, Texas

45 months ago

granolagirl in Airdrie, Alberta said: RDH girl,

Your blatant advertizing on this forum is testimony to the sad job reality outlined in all the posts from demoralized hygienists that have come to this site to vent long before you found it.

In a perfect world, the hygienist that was most skilled, compassionate, dedicated and committed to professionalism would get the best pay, opportunities and respect.

Alas, it is not a perfect world. And to see it through your eyes, the world being what it is, hygienists should be bubbly, enthusiastic, pretty(judging by how you look) and made-up...maybe even religious. In other words: perfect. But perfect for whom?

My clinical hygiene career ended because after 20 years I developed chronic tendonitis. I gave my heart, soul and the best part of my youthful vitality to my clients and my family. I am very proud of the level of integrity that I upheld. I have bravely gone back to school and this time I am going to be a real, not pseudo, professional in a non-female dominated field. There was a time when dental hygiene was respectable. I am afraid for the future for you hygienists out there and even more so for the patients. But I am moving onward and upward. Change will be up to all of you who are active in this field. The most important thing to remember is to be yourself and maintain your integrity.

You are brave to start a new career but after investing so much getting my hygiene license it would be very hard to do without alot of help. I can tell my boss would love to get a younger cheaper hygienist so I just don't give him a reason to and I to look the other way at a lot of things to keep my job. You are right patients have no clue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mcary222 in Stockton, California

39 months ago

BBH in Phoenix, Arizona said: Many people are so clueless about what a Hygienist does. They think it is just a little polish, next!!! I will give you that some offices are tougher than others! But these days, along with reduced wages comes reduced time! And, nothing drives me crazier than seeing a patient that was seen 6 months ago with black sub calculus!Some hygienist's just do not care, or do not know what they are doing yet. School is one thing, but you really don't start really learning until you are on the job! So sick of Perio...and we are pushed to produce produce produce. Bottom line is it. I stand for quality, so we have had a few rounds on that one, as one hygienist is sooooo unethical. Since her arrival, I would like nothing better than to walk out that back door. BUT, no jobs!!!! 2 salary cuts in the last few months at my place.

How is the RDH employment in mesa area and surrounding? Does Arizona have a lot of jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

adusonu in Redding, California

24 months ago

I have hard question . Should I start dental hygiene program when planning for pregnancy? Note I had previous miscarriage and problems. Pls advice quick. Also can I take break in program or work after RDH abut 2 years.Pls help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.