Wondering how many of you get paid ONLY if your patient shows up.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

JW in Brookline, Massachusetts

21 months ago

If you only get paid if the patient shows up are you getting paid for the first patient in the morning if they don't show?
If you get paid regardless if your patient shows have you been at your job before the recession 2008?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cc in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

21 months ago

I am paid hourly. Does not matter if my patient shows up. I DO help with the Dr schedule when my patient doesn't come though. I clean up ( all rooms!) then leave early if it is the last patient. I have been fling hygiene for 18 years and have NEVER not been paid if a patient doesn't show. I have heard horror stories about prima dona hygientists though . Not sure but might have to do with what the hygientist is doing during the gap in the schedule or the drs past experience :)
I started in my current office in 2009.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

21 months ago

I didn't become a RDH until 2008 so I can't give an opinion before 2008. The office I work for does not pay for me when the patient cancels last minute or doesn't show up. Most likely it is illegal for a dental office in Mass to not pay RDHs if they are at work and doing other work, such as sterilizing equipment, but that's RDH life. If my first patient doesn't show up or any patient in the day, then I do not get paid. After 2 or 3 missed appointments my office will charge the patient a 25 dollar missed appointment fee but still won't pay me anything for missing the appointment. Sometimes I randomly have no shows and last minute cancellations one after the other in the same day. I don't complain about this, though, cause I know the office can replace me with another RDH fast and my boss (the dentist) and coworkers are pleasant to work with/for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ChicagoRDH in Chicago Heights, Illinois

21 months ago

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts said: I didn't become a RDH until 2008 so I can't give an opinion before 2008. The office I work for does not pay for me when the patient cancels last minute or doesn't show up. Most likely it is illegal for a dental office in Mass to not pay RDHs if they are at work and doing other work, such as sterilizing equipment, but that's RDH life. If my first patient doesn't show up or any patient in the day, then I do not get paid. After 2 or 3 missed appointments my office will charge the patient a 25 dollar missed appointment fee but still won't pay me anything for missing the appointment. Sometimes I randomly have no shows and last minute cancellations one after the other in the same day. I don't complain about this, though, cause I know the office can replace me with another RDH fast and my boss #the dentist# and coworkers are pleasant to work with/for.

Hi, Yes, I temp for dentists in Illinois. More and more of the dentists are paying me with a 1099 tax form, which means they put the burden on the hygienist to pay all 15% of the taxes.
Also, there is one dentist that pays by commission only. If a patient doesn't show up or cancels at the last minute I don't get paid. I get paid one-third of what I produce from each patient. Plus, the dentist has decided to take all the radiographs by his assistant, to increase his income. This dentist also pays his hygienists with a 1099 tax form. So, if I do a PXS I get a third of that. Funny thing is, the dentist pays his assistants and front office help with 1040s, indicating that they are employees. The doctor pays his partner/friend, a DDS, and the hygienists like they are independent contractors.
According to the IRS tax code independent contractors are defined as: 1. Workers who set their own schedule. 2. Pay to rent the operatory. 3. Pay for water and electricity. 4. Use your own tools. 5. State your fee. 6. Set the appointment time. I forget the last two qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

ChicagoRDH in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: Hi, Yes, I temp for dentists in Illinois. More and more of the dentists are paying me with a 1099 tax form, which means they put the burden on the hygienist to pay all 15% of the taxes.
Also, there is one dentist that pays by commission only. If a patient doesn't show up or cancels at the last minute I don't get paid. I get paid one-third of what I produce from each patient. Plus, the dentist has decided to take all the radiographs by his assistant, to increase his income. This dentist also pays his hygienists with a 1099 tax form. So, if I do a PXS I get a third of that. Funny thing is, the dentist pays his assistants and front office help with 1040s, indicating that they are employees. The doctor pays his partner/friend, a DDS, and the hygienists like they are independent contractors.
According to the IRS tax code independent contractors are defined as: 1. Workers who set their own schedule. 2. Pay to rent the operatory. 3. Pay for water and electricity. 4. Use your own tools. 5. State your fee. 6. Set the appointment time. I forget the last two qualifications.

Wow! That's worse then my situation. I'm an employee so I get a W2 at the end of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

21 months ago

I do get a W2 from both of my RDH employers thankfully. Even though I don't get paid if a patient doesn't show up, at one office I work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

21 months ago

cc in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: I am paid hourly. Does not matter if my patient shows up. I DO help with the Dr schedule when my patient doesn't come though. I clean up ( all rooms!) then leave early if it is the last patient. I have been fling hygiene for 18 years and have NEVER not been paid if a patient doesn't show. I have heard horror stories about prima dona hygientists though . Not sure but might have to do with what the hygientist is doing during the gap in the schedule or the drs past experience :)
I started in my current office in 2009.

I wonder it you are under any contract? Is this a small private buisness? Sound illegal..especially if the staff is getting paid and ur not. I dont know your circumstances but I would call your state labor board. Remember they (your employer cant retaliate against you for asking the labor board to investigate if it comes down to it and u have a case) Check and see if you have a case. Hoping u the best. Being a hygienist has changed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated RDH in Nevada

20 months ago

My dentist expects me to clock out when patients cancel or no show. I am the only hygienist in the office, the only employee to not receive any benefits and the only employee expected to clock in and out multiple times a day based on patients showing for appointments. He watches my time sheet like a hawk and yells when he thinks I am abusing the payroll and not clocking out quickly. I love my patients but this is not the work environment I expected after graduation. Jobs are very hard to come by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maryland in Germantown, Maryland

13 months ago

I have only heard of a periodontal office doing this to their hygienist here in Maryland. (only 1- and he pays $50 per patient) It sounds like you are being paid commission almost. I will never work in an office that does that. I quit a job because the dr would request me to come in during certain hours, and then send me home early if a family canceled. That was wrong. She asked me to be there between certain hours, and I did my part. It seems very unfair and greedy to not pay someone. If the dr has asked you to be at the office between certain times, then you should be paid for those hours. If they give you a 1099, you are your own boss and you should determine if you feel your time is worth being paid. If you are not in control of the scheduling (front desk does the confirming, etc), then how can you be held responsible for their breaking their appointments? If the doctor is dead-set on continuing this, I would consider looking into another office. If you use a temp agency here, you are required to have a 1099 and the offices know they are paying for a set hours for your time. If all the patients cancel in the afternoon, the office can determine to either give you the full pay and send you home, or have you help out doing other things until your hours are over. It really annoys me to see other hygienists being taken advantage of. I wish you the best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

defendrdh in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

Is the market any better for hygiene jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

13 months ago

Defendrdh in PA.....no it is not, pay is not negotiable, hours and days you may want not what should be....oversaturation....never the same again. Unfortunately, many choose to put blinders and not listen to the many on here telling you what is happening NOW....the jobs go to: the cheapest, fastest and with the most certifications, etc.....even if you have exp., yrs, cert's , licenses....it's the all mighty $ that the majority of the Dr.s look at now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ChicagoRDH in Chicago Heights, Illinois

13 months ago

defendrdh in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Is the market any better for hygiene jobs?

Dear "defendrdh" "exp" in Massachusetts is ABSOLUTELY correct !!!!!!!!!!! All of the things she/he mentions are true! Hygiene will never be the same again! I was hoping that there might be more hygiene jobs opening up in public/community health due to the "Affordable Care Act". However, I've been told that the ADA dropped the ball and did not lobby enough or hard enough. So, public health dental care in Illinois remains the same; treating kids up to 18 yrs. old. Adults can get dental services anytime but they pay on a sliding scale.
I am beginning to feel the dental hygiene periodicals are portraying our field as as "hunky dorey" as ever! I read the science articles, which are very informative, and the statistical articles about dental hygiene salaries, job availability, benefits (what are they?), etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DH Dreamer in Laval, Quebec

10 months ago

Good day everyone...

I read all your comments... I just paid the registration fees at John Abbot college...No, its not a private school... I will not do the same mistake again.. Private schools lack of the correct education... I have been a Local IT for 10 years now... decided to change carriers but after what I have read,,, I AM CONFUSED...

I thought you get paid 8h a day... its new to my ears that Dr. sends you home when a client cancels or in a quite day....No benefits !!!...

The association MUST act to correct this mess...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

10 months ago

DH Dreamer..you have to come into the real world. This is standard practice now and DH have never in my experience had benefits. I'm confused..are you thinking about becoming a DH..and if so, why in god's name would you? You don't sound like you know anything about DH. If I were you I would look into the situation in much more depth than you seem to have. And in regards to our associations..ya, good luck with that!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TGJ in Lake Station, Indiana

10 months ago

DH Dreamer.....Do NOT ! go into hygiene. No benefits at all....greatly underpaid..I work in office that is very high volume with every insurance accepted. We only get paid 18.00 per pt. There are 12 rooms. There are 4 assistants seating , turning over rooms, taking piano and BWX and helping period chart. There are 8-9 LDH all part-time....When asked about getting a raise they said out of the question...The oldest LDH there for 30 years started at 18.00 per pt. YAP!! Doctors stated if they don't like QUIT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Hello DH Dreamer....... I do hope you can get your registration fee back. I'm the one who started this thread. DH is not the same as it was ten years ago. Dentist are in the driver seat now and their the cheapest people on earth. I have been out there for 30 years and for the first 20 years the economy was good and not enough hygienist so there was a lack of supply. Every year it seemed like the going hourly rate would increase a dollar. To tell you the truth I couldn't believe it myself.

After 2008 there was no jobs out there but hygiene schools were still pumping out hygienist. We are now going on six years and it's only gotten a trace better. The field is completely flooded. If I was you I would think about a new profession or you will see yourself going back to IT to make money to pay back your loans and survive. Most ads I see now say they are looking for experience at least 5 years. I'm glad you are doing your research before you wasted a lot of money and time. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.