Working Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

ToothyTriz in Marshall, Minnesota

73 months ago

Hiya! Like many of you in the Central region, I cannot find a job either, so the decision has been made to move to another state. I have been out of school 14 months and temped for 2 days. I live in a rural part of MN and there is just nothing in this state.

So..I have a working interview coming up in another state. Has anyone had one of these? Can you give me any insight or maybe what to expect?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Legal Eagle in Bloomington, Illinois

73 months ago

Did you go to SMSU? I had the same problem.
There is nothing in the region. Good luck on your interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SaintTraci in Montevideo, Minnesota

72 months ago

I actually got my AS of DH at Argosy in Eagan. But am a currently taking online classes through MNSU for my bachelors. Thanks!

BM in Raymond, New Hampshire

65 months ago

ToothyTriz in Marshall, Minnesota said: Hiya! Like many of you in the Central region, I cannot find a job either, so the decision has been made to move to another state. I have been out of school 14 months and temped for 2 days. I live in a rural part of MN and there is just nothing in this state.

So..I have a working interview coming up in another state. Has anyone had one of these? Can you give me any insight or maybe what to expect?

Hi, Do you have a license to practice Dental Hygiene in that state? I beleive you need one to work there. Check with the Dental Licensing Board in that state and find out what is needed before you do your working interview. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Glendale, California

54 months ago

Hi,
I was planning to apply to Argosy for Dental Hygiene School. Was it difficult to get into? I have BS in biochem but my gpa is 2.8, I know it's very competitive, do I stand a chance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

SaintTraci in Montevideo, Minnesota said: I actually got my AS of DH at Argosy in Eagan. But am a currently taking online classes through MNSU for my bachelors. Thanks!

Hi,
I was planning to apply to Argosy for Dental Hygiene School. Was it difficult to get into? I have BS in biochem but my gpa is 2.8, I know it's very competitive, do I stand a chance?

ToothyTriz in South Saint Paul, Minnesota

54 months ago

Honestly, I don't recommend Argosy at all. I would highly recommend any other program BUT that one. Herzing and Normandale have awesome staff and are MUCH cheaper.

Also want you to know that MN has a flood of hygienists and that getting FT work in this state is near impossible. So be prepared to move to another state in the licensing region.

54 months ago

What's wrong with Argosy?
I like that the GE classes are part of their curriculum and I wouldn't have to go back to community college to take it prior to applying to a program. (If I had to do the pre-req's that most schools require, it would take me nearly a year to finish, then to get in to a program, and another two years for that, I would spend three years opposed to two)
But please tell me why Argosy is not a good option.
I appreciate any info provided.

smilez in Circle Pines, Minnesota

52 months ago

the way that Argosy's curriculum is laid out is very convenient, although i do have to agree with someones post earlier about the professors there being bias..

Logan S in Maplewood, Minnesota

52 months ago

Jane in Glendale, California said: Hi,

Argosy is easy to get into. You should be fine. I'd research other DH schools before deciding to go there though.

30 year vet in San Diego, California

52 months ago

Logan S in Maplewood, Minnesota said: Argosy is easy to get into. You should be fine. I'd research other DH schools before deciding to go there though.

Honestly, research the profession of dental hygiene as well (not just which school). There are few jobs and less opportunities in DH than ever before in our history. Do your homework and check things out before you lay down that tuition money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

51 months ago

Hi 30yr V in SDCa, So true...but I reitterate(sp), good advice falls on deaf ears....I can't believe people are still thinking of pursuing DH with the lack of opp's, the competition...whether or not you have ALL the skills...IT IS NOT THE ECONOMY...IT IS THE OVERABUNDANCE in the DH field that has not ever been seen. We are only trying to let you know it's expensive to train and the job opps, not a career at this point, are NOT as available and you will be one of MANY trying to find employment in many offices, many resumes in the drawer...and the pay , hours, and days that are "set" ...those DH's are in the minority and very fortunate to have their jobs...but it could change...maybe in 10+ years, but not right now...think of when you want to retire, NOW, because alot of us don't have retirement pkgs through the Dr.'s...you are on your own for ALOT!: set up a 401K, MM, save now and watch how you spend because 60 can come quick...how do you want to live as an older individual? Comfortably or trying to figure out how to pay your mortgage, food bills and household bills....REALITY it is...unfortunately for DH...the opps are very little that is in PP, unless you want to spend more and go for an MA, etc...GL to everyone, please choose wisely, don't just think about big $ and work when you want...it is not happening in today's DH market....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sad RDH in Sandy, Utah

51 months ago

Well, I decided to go back to school at 30 and chose DH for my career choice. I have always been optimistic, but I have been looking for a job since I graduated in 2009 :( I never thought I would face this. However, I may have to look into another profession. I have been on several interviews and didn't realize what a popularity contest it is. I am definitely odd girl out at age 38. I guess it's my own fault for not doing more research. I worked very hard to become a RDH and there are way to many of us looking, at least in Utah. Good luck everyone!!

Suzanne in Columbus, Indiana

51 months ago

Don't feel bad! You are not the odd girl out, dental offices can be very cut throat to say the least. It is a polularity contest even AFTER you're hired. There are no guarantees that once you get the job you will keep it. You can be doing a great job and making all your production goals and for no reason at all be let go with no notice. Keep your self-esteem and self-respect and do what you have to. If it means saying this endeavor didn't work out and you do something else, so be it. If you made it through a hygiene program, passed your boards and got your license, you can do anything you put your mind to. Keep going and good luck!

Sofia Medina in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

Hello everyone. I am very concerned for my future, thank you all for sharing this pieces of information.I feel many of your guys pain, I can say been their, but every experience is different, just keep your heads up.

However just because the economy is down, that does not mean our attitude should be down, so many people are striving, including dental offices in this market, so Keep a positive outlook.

I was wondering if any of you dental hygienist in here keep your options open, Their is many opportunities withing the dental profession as a hygienist. I know of one company that is called Oxyfresh, it works with dental hygienist by providing them a support system for a home-base business. If you are passionate about preventive care and teaching others this company can help sky rocket your dental career.

Take a look for yourself.
www.oxydental.com/medina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sad RDH in Sandy, Utah

51 months ago

Thanks for the comment. Man I've never had my self esteem tested this much. I do try to stay positive. I will not give up yet!! I worked so hard to get here and now I have student loans to pay back so I gotta keep looking right?:) The thought of opening another textbook scares me to death, but hey you're right if I can make it through hygiene school and boards, I can make it through anything. Thanks for the support and good luck to you as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dental hygienist in Surrey, British Columbia

51 months ago

LOOKING FOR TEXTBOOK" LOCAL ANESTHETIC FOR DENTAL PROFESSIONALS BY KATHY BASSETT.

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

51 months ago

dental hygienist in Surrey, British Columbia said: LOOKING FOR TEXTBOOK" LOCAL ANESTHETIC FOR DENTAL PROFESSIONALS BY KATHY BASSETT.

Google it, or check Barnes and Noble if you have that store up there. Many use the Malamed book for the L.A. course. GL

dental hygienist in Chandler, Arizona

15 months ago

ToothyTriz in Marshall, Minnesota said: Hiya! Like many of you in the Central region, I cannot find a job either, so the decision has been made to move to another state. I have been out of school 14 months and temped for 2 days. I live in a rural part of MN and there is just nothing in this state.

Hello out there to all you fellow hygienists!! What made you stand out in your interview against all the other hygienists graduating?? What makes you keep your job??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Hello dental hygiene friends... Quick question...What makes you stand out from the rest of the graduates when you interviewed for your hygiene job?? What makes you keep your job against the new and upcoming applicants that are willing for a lower wage?
Arizona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

dental hygienist in Chandler, Arizona said: Hello dental hygiene friends... Quick question...What makes you stand out from the rest of the graduates when you interviewed for your hygiene job?? What makes you keep your job against the new and upcoming applicants that are willing for a lower wage?
Arizona

is it attitude? experience?

15 months ago

Is it attitude? Experience? Do you know someone?

nicolebeach in st paul, Minnesota

15 months ago

I always smile, don't bring home to work, be dedicated and know your stuff.

mcary222 in Stockton, California

15 months ago

exp in Epping, New Hampshire said: Hi 30yr V in SDCa, So true...but I reitterate(sp), good advice falls on deaf ears....I can't believe people are still thinking of pursuing DH with the lack of opp's, the competition...whether or not you have ALL the skills...IT IS NOT THE ECONOMY...IT IS THE OVERABUNDANCE in the DH field that has not ever been seen. We are only trying to let you know it's expensive to train and the job opps, not a career at this point, are NOT as available and you will be one of MANY trying to find employment in many offices, many resumes in the drawer...and the pay , hours, and days that are "set" ...those DH's are in the minority and very fortunate to have their jobs...but it could change...maybe in 10+ years, but not right now...think of when you want to retire, NOW, because alot of us don't have retirement pkgs through the Dr.'s...you are on your own for ALOT!: set up a 401K, MM, save now and watch how you spend because 60 can come quick...how do you want to live as an older individual? Comfortably or trying to figure out how to pay your mortgage, food bills and household bills....REALITY it is...unfortunately for DH...the opps are very little that is in PP, unless you want to spend more and go for an MA, etc...GL to everyone, please choose wisely, don't just think about big $ and work when you want...it is not happening in today's DH market....

However, in general, if your married and your husband carrys insurance and all that then DH is actually a money maker? when they put on the webpages that DH make 60k plus is that still without taxes removed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Duncan, British Columbia

15 months ago

@mcary...no, because it's extremely difficult to find any consistent work. You may work a day here or there and then not work for weeks.

Finding a job is the whole issue..there just are very very few.

I know I'm in Canada, but the situation for DH is the same. It's compeletly over saturated because of all the new schools opening with multiple entry dates and the reduction or complete eradication of any pre requisites.

As exp said..no benefits especially if you're part time. In Canada none period. No security, no respect..just the same thing over and over again.

Remember, once you're a DH..that's it. There is no moving up the ladder..you have reached the top and that's all you'll be doing for the rest of your 'career'.

I don't believe DH is a profession either. It's a technicion's 'job' and you're super dispensible.

Read all the threads and please find something else to do. It is not a rewarding job these days..it's a demeaning sales job with very little 'health' aspect to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

15 months ago

dental hygienist in Chandler, Arizona said: Hello out there to all you fellow hygienists!! What made you stand out in your interview against all the other hygienists graduating?? What makes you keep your job??

Nothing makes me stand out against any hygienist in our jobs. The job market, the practice which you are applying dictates this and also, who you know (in my neck of the woods) As far as "keeping" your job, your absolutely right about that~now these days it usually takes a prayer and keeping your chin up and looking for a job on the side just in case it doesnt workout.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.