colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 3289)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Liz589 in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Hello all,

Are there anybody knowing about Dental Hygiene program in Xincon Technology College of Canada? This is a private school. I went to this college a few days ago. They just get accredited for this program and they show me around the lab. It seems good but I care about quality education and rate of employment. I don't wanna invest money for nothing. I'm afraid that I make wrong decision.

Is it hard to get into George Brown? Does U of C have this program? It's not easy to check its website.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

dont even bother yourself to think about Xincon college at scarborough. I had a few friends who graduated from here . They graduated 4 months later than the scheduled date can u believe it. They are very unorganized.I also got to know that the students were off for 2 months due to unavailability of instructors.
Its not too hard to get in ti George Brown if you have made ur mind.
All the BEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

The most important part the infection control for clients is of low standards. T he students keep their mouth mask , gloves sterile ones in their locker and use these for clients.Do you think so it is not contaminated in lockers. They do this to save money so that students do not use extra materials in clinic and if so then the school has to bear charges.But the students do pay tuition fees and material cost seperately. Then why put patients life at risk. Its not ethical at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

I meant the infection control at Xincon college is really very poor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AAA in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Hi,

I think Xincon was unorganized however now they are working hard at getting it together.

Let me mention all private schools will have an issue of some sort that is a given.

Liz589-it is up to you to decided where you want to go and also what I would suggest is if you have already applied to GBC (George Brown) for Septmeber why not wait to see if your accepted or not, if you have not applied yet then unfortunately it is too late for September.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Use Caution in Airdrie, Alberta

79 months ago

I also am a previous grad of a private school in Toroto. My experience was a very difficult one indeed! I felt I had done my research very well prior to making my final choice of which private college to attend. The administration people are very accomodating and can fool you very easily when you initially contact these schools (sugar coating on everything). I would have to say that most intructors were very nice people but they were trully unqualified as teachers and often had no education background to be teaching in any type of post secondary facility. There were no lines of proper communication set up for students to properly discuss things with the staff. The position of director of the school changed hands 3 times within my 4 semesters...mass disorganization! I wanted this career so badly that I wish I could say all the pain was worth it. I now recommend that people upgrade their high school marks and wait to get into a proper college where the staff are much more prepared to guide and assist you with your future as a Dental Hygienist! I would only recommend a private college if the laws were changed and their staff were properly educated on "how to educate". I do have future goals of teaching in a hygiene program and am now researching my education goals in this direction...and unlike private school teachers, I will be able to give quality education and will have the credentials to prove it. I hope to see a future that makes it more difficult for these private colleges to operate, they are 80% about the money and 20% about the education...the focus is money driven, and the public need to be protected!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

question in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Hi,

I was wondering after getting a diploma in hygiene from a private school can you continue with your education and get a degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

79 months ago

Liz589 in Toronto, Ontario said: Hello all,

Are there anybody knowing about Dental Hygiene program in Xincon Technology College of Canada? This is a private school. I went to this college a few days ago. They just get accredited for this program and they show me around the lab. It seems good but I care about quality education and rate of employment. I don't wanna invest money for nothing. I'm afraid that I make wrong decision.

Is it hard to get into George Brown? Does U of C have this program? It's not easy to check its website.

Thank you.

hey liz u of c doesnt have the program only u of a does in edmonton. but you have to do minimum 1 year university before u can get in

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

TTT in Toronto, Ontario said: Bleeding,

Do you know if Regency treats their students with respect or not?

I am worried I don't have money to throw out the window or spend lots of money either.

Thanks

Yes Regency is well organized and respect the students highly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jocelyn in Victoria, British Columbia

79 months ago

Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone has gone to or heard anything about the Dental Hygiene College in Vancouver!?
I was planning to apply but the discussion has me a little worried about private scools..

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Abbotsford, British Columbia

79 months ago

Hi I am planning to attend Toronto College of Dental Hygiene. my test is coming up and I have been told that it's not too bad of a test. I have been out of school for about 7 years and was wondering about the bio and chem part of the test. Please help me if you can. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jas in Surrey, British Columbia

79 months ago

Hi Jill
test is not that bad acutally. juss study basic bio. i don think there is much chem involved. Are you applyin for august class?
best of luck?

Rahman in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

hi there...i'm planning to get admission in dental hygiene program...but unfortunately i missed george brown college dental hygiene program...so i'm planning to go for private college...most important thing is i'm international student...so it's very important for me to choice a good private college...so if anybody knows any good private college name can u give me a suggestion abt tht...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lilu in Brampton, Ontario

79 months ago

Has anyone heard of Kent College for Dental Hygiene??? I heard their good and only accept 14 students!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jill in Abbotsford, British Columbia

79 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Hi Jill
test is not that bad acutally. juss study basic bio. i don think there is much chem involved. Are you applyin for august class?
best of luck?

Yes, I am applying for the Aug intake. I am applying to a few other schools so we will see. Are you going to that school in Aug?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jas in Surrey, British Columbia

79 months ago

i actually i applied for aug intake, and after my test(which i passed) and interview, they told me aug is already full, and i can apply for march 2009. All i found regardin this school so far is that they are very unpredtictable.anyways coz i first applied to march 2008 and tht one got cancelled, then august then march 2009...means its very unorganized and unethical.i think all they want @ the momment is there fee to write exam...
jas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

phil in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: i actually i applied for aug intake, and after my test(which i passed) and interview, they told me aug is already full, and i can apply for march 2009. All i found regardin this school so far is that they are very unpredtictable.anyways coz i first applied to march 2008 and tht one got cancelled, then august then march 2009...means its very unorganized and unethical.i think all they want @ the momment is there fee to write exam...
jas

Jas
I agree with you completely . THIS SCHOOL IS HIGHLY UNORGANIZED. rEGENCY IS A FAR BETTER SCHOOL . GO FOR REGENCY. I mean it. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

wow in Kelowna, British Columbia

79 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: i actually i applied for aug intake, and after my test(which i passed) and interview, they told me aug is already full, and i can apply for march 2009. All i found regardin this school so far is that they are very unpredtictable.anyways coz i first applied to march 2008 and tht one got cancelled, then august then march 2009...means its very unorganized and unethical.i think all they want @ the momment is there fee to write exam...
jas

Wow I can't beleive this! I called Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and they said that they still had room for Aug, they told the same thing to another girl. So They just want to get your 150.00 and then they will see. Hmmm
I don't really like were this is going. Has anyone heard about Oxford College of Arts. It's Scarborough,ont.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

jas

So Jas what school are you going too? Are you going to go into the mar09 intake with TCDHA??

N in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Wow,

DON NOT GO TO OXFORD SCARBOROUGH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE YOU WILL REGRET IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

N in Toronto, Ontario said: Wow,

DON NOT GO TO OXFORD SCARBOROUGH UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Why?? have you been to this school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I would like to know what is the best private school to go to in Ontario. I know of Regancy and CIDH. Regancy wants $36,900 for this year sept. which is the highest I have seen so I don't want to go there. Does anyone no anything about Oxford College of Arts, in Scarborough? N in Toronto said not to go there but why?? I need help!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

For the people who went to george brown what kind of marks did you need to get in?
I had 95 english, 94 math, 90 biology and 81 chemistry and I still didnt get accepted. The letter said applicants with an average over 75% got accepted. Its disappointing because I was so confident that I would get. I must of did terrible on the admissions test maybe.

Whats worse is I dont really have a backup plan for what I want to do. I thought about practical nursing but after doing research it sounds like its a very stressful job. I dont know what to do does anyone have any advice for me?

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Use Caution in Airdrie, Alberta

79 months ago

Oxford College is unfortunately very disorganized...Staff tend to change as often as the wind! The only consistent thing about this school is they will gladly take your tuition and fill the class with 40 students and never have the proper staff to student ratio's. Do not consider a private college for your dental hygiene education!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Markham, Ontario

78 months ago

hows canadian business college for dental hygiene program?

phil in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Stacey in Markham, Ontario said: hows canadian business college for dental hygiene program?

Hi Stacey
There are two canadian business college for dental hygiene program. The one that has changed its name to George Yonge College is really very good decent and reasonable. Both the colleges are just close to each other. So watch out the other college is not at all worth it and they demand a lot of fees and has lost its eligibility status for accreditation also. Go for George Yonge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NJen in Mississauga, Ontario

78 months ago

Hi there in Kelowna, I've done a lot of research on schools in Ontario where I will be attending, just so you don't get confused, there are 2 separate schools both with Oxford in their names, one is Oxford College located in Scarborough, the other is Oxford North Toronto located in Richmond Hill. From what I've found they are both good schools, but they have nothing to do with eachother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Scarborough, Ontario

78 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if there are any good ways to advertise for clients?

watch out in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Stacey,

Watch out and do your research.

George Young college is not accredited they lie to students saying they have their eligibility.

You should visit both schools and determine from the visit.

Myself, I would not go to George Young College (a friend of mine did visit the school and they lied saying they were getting accredition meanwhile it was the CBC at Young and Bloor.

Visit other schools too before you make a final decision lots of money will be spent and make sure you use your money wisely.

78 months ago

Hi Jen
Thanks I am looking in to Oxford College of Arts they are accreddited. North is not. Which school are you trying to go to?

78 months ago

wow in Kelowna, British Columbia said: Hi Jen
Thanks I am looking in to Oxford College of Arts they are accreddited. North is not. Which school are you trying to go to?

NEVER ATTEND OXFORD, IT IS THE WORST SCHOOL IN HISTORY!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Have you gone there Beth?

78 months ago

Yes, I am stuck in that hell hole right now. The teachers are so rude. There is a lot of unfair business that goes on in that clinic. There are so many students and not enough instructors. Don't be fooled!!! Save you self and go to a good school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

watch out in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Beth are you at Scarborough?

Just some advice in Pickering, Ontario

78 months ago

I would rec. for anyone going into DH.....as a George Brown grad.....GO TO GEORGE BROWN or community college.....your well prepared...there are SO many hygienists out there...to guarantee a position your best bet is going to a good school....to answer the question regarding the test results and high marks to get in....they review the overall application, scores and credentials that your applying with....many of us held degrees from my graduating class.....so it is tight competition to get in....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

wow in Kelowna, British Columbia said: Hi Jen

Hi Kelowna, yes Oxford College of Arts is the school in Scarborough, they are accredited. The other dental hygiene school Oxford North Toronto has received its program survey status for accreditation. I'm not sure yet where I'm going, there are a lot of dental hygiene schools to choose from and I'm giving myself until the end of the summer to decide. Good luck with your search.

78 months ago

NJen in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hi Kelowna, yes Oxford College of Arts is the school in Scarborough, they are accredited. The other dental hygiene school Oxford North Toronto has received its program survey status for accreditation. I'm not sure yet where I'm going, there are a lot of dental hygiene schools to choose from and I'm giving myself until the end of the summer to decide. Good luck with your search.

Hi Jen
Good luck with your search too!

Lilu in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Has anyone hear of kent college??? please anyone. they seem to be very nice and well organise, just not acredited yeat!!!!! they have recive program status might get acredited this december.

please help

Lilu in Etobicoke, Ontario

78 months ago

hi,have you heard anything about kent college of dental hyg.???? most of the programs for July and semptember are take!!! they only have 4 spots left, i really want to get in this year. Regency is closed, excellent reputation and Toronto college is close as well.thank you

78 months ago

Hi Lilu, I don't know much about them other than they are in the downtown area, if you are looking for a school in the core Yorkville Dental Hygiene College has an excellent reputation and of course there is George Brown College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilu in Etobicoke, Ontario

78 months ago

thank you NJen. i went to see the college 2weeks ago. they seem really organised and well prepare, just not acredited yeat, that's the scary thing. i love the fact that they take only 14 students. i apply 4 times to george brown and never got in. i don't know what to do??? toronto college is great as well but they are close.thank you

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

78 months ago

I am going to be a student at The Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries this coming August, but I have no idea where it is. I have never been in Toronto, I am a resident of edmonton, but I was looking up the school and i got 2 different postal codes... which made me a little curious which one is the correct one. One says North York and the other says Toronto, which one is it? Anyone that has been there recently? So confused :(

T in Calgary, Alberta

78 months ago

missy in Edmonton, Alberta said: I am going to be a student at The Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries this coming August, but I have no idea where it is. I have never been in Toronto, I am a resident of edmonton, but I was looking up the school and i got 2 different postal codes... which made me a little curious which one is the correct one. One says North York and the other says Toronto, which one is it? Anyone that has been there recently? So confused :(

Hey missy, i am actually attending the same school in toronto as well for this upcoming august. They have two seperate buildings. One for like 1st year students and the second building is like for 2nd year students, where they do their practice.

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

78 months ago

missy in Edmonton, Alberta said: I am going to be a student at The Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries this coming August, but I have no idea where it is. I have never been in Toronto, I am a resident of edmonton, but I was looking up the school and i got 2 different postal codes... which made me a little curious which one is the correct one. One says North York and the other says Toronto, which one is it? Anyone that has been there recently? So confused :(

North York is actually within the Toronto city boundary. The main campus is on Steeprock Ave. The other site, which is for first year student, is about a block away from the main campus. The school is accredited and the instructors have been there for a few years already.

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

78 months ago

Yorkville Graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: I would just like to say that I recently graduated from Yorkville College in Toronto. In regards to going to a private school, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I arrived at school with 15yrs of dental assisting background and never a day went by that I did not learn something new. I am very proud to say that I graduated from a school that cares for its students and does everything that they can to help you out. I would be lying if I said that the curriculum was easy, as it was very challenging. I am so prepared for the NDHCB that I have not a fear in my head. We have chose this profession and want a challenge, if your not up for it go into hair dressing. The responsibilities that go along with this profession encompass much than what your paycheck reads at the end of the month.
I am actually tired of hearing people say that they do not want to go to a private school, and a nonaccredited one at that. In the end, you have to be tested by your peers in a clinical exam. Upon passing you will have proven that you are more than capable to become a Registered dental hygienist. On the other hand accredited program graduates do not have to go through this and hmmmm they are not truly tested by anyone. WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR ORAL HEALTH AND OVERALL WELLNESS.
To make a long story short you have to choose the best school that suits your needs in respect too, finances, location etc.
I actually came all the way from BC for this great experience and will gladly state that I graduated from YORKVILLE COLLEGE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES.

Good for you. I hope you have learned a lot from us. By the way, what is your status regarding board exam, clinical exam, and DH registration in BC?

Peter Konieczny in Scarborough, Ontario

78 months ago

A report was released today by the Canadian Millennium Scholarships Foundation, which is a Federal Government agency. The report is a very large survey of people who attended private career colleges in Canada, and it offers some intersting information on the background of people, why they choose programs, what they expected from the program, and how they financed it. Although it is a long read, I would suggest any student interested should download it. The part where they talk about issues related to student debt is very interesting.

www.millenniumscholarships.ca/images/Publications/080331_SCCCS_EN.pdf

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

78 months ago

T in Calgary, Alberta said: Hey missy, i am actually attending the same school in toronto as well for this upcoming august. They have two seperate buildings. One for like 1st year students and the second building is like for 2nd year students, where they do their practice.

oh wow! Good to know I at least am acquainted with someone also from Alberta that is going to be in my class! Thanks T!! I am still looking for a place to live down there, have you found a place yet?

T in Calgary, Alberta

78 months ago

well i am also looking for a place as well, but one thing you should advoid is renting a place near jane and finch, that place is like ghetto and i heard that there are alot of shootings. The place i am looking at is like 2km away from the school, and i dont know the exact location but i will have to get back to you on that.

flossed in Scarborough, Ontario

78 months ago

Lilu in Brampton, Ontario said: Has anyone heard of Kent College for Dental Hygiene??? I heard their good and only accept 14 students!!!

I am a first level student from Alberta in the dental hygiene program at Kent College. You are right about the staff. They are excellent and have personally helped me a lot. The college is small and it's for this reason that I love it! It is very much like a small family.

I have favorite and not so favorite instructors but overall the faculty is excellent! The clinic is extremely organized. We have 11 students in our class and I don't think anyone regrets their decision in coming here.

The word on the street about our college must be good because we have students from other schools coming here to prep for their board exams and clinic evaluations.

If you would like to speak with any of us, feel free to call the school and ask to speak with a student. I don't the school would mind. Coming from out of province, this decision was difficult for many us. If we can help someone out there make a good decision, we would be more than happy to.

flossed in Scarborough, Ontario

78 months ago

I spoke with the Registrar at our school and asked if it would be OK for prospective students to speak with current students by calling the college. He loved the idea. I think it's the only way you can get honest feedback about the school. Kent College's phone number is 1-866-942-1800 or 416-929-1800. The Registrar's extension is 30.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.