colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 3275)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

interdental aid in Toronto, Ontario

89 months ago

business and profit at the cost of students career. veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy SAD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

My Opinion in Thornhill, Ontario

89 months ago

I am a DH Student at Toronto College of DH & Auxillaries. It seems that there have been both satisfied and disappointed students at every college that I know of. My school is an example. There are students that are very happy and yet, there are students that hate the school. Can they both be right? I guess it's based on personal experience but one thing is for sure, the grass always looks greener on the other side. There have been students at this college that have transferred to what they thought were better schools and guess what, they ran in to the same issues.

If you think you can avoid these issues by going to a community college...guess again. They have the same issues with instructors and unhappy students as everyone else does. I know some of them.

I think you get out of a school what you put in to it and private career colleges are probably the best way to prepare for the real world of working in private practice. I am certain that not everything in the practice you work for one day will be ideal either - far from it.

It's unfortunate that so many people would prefer bashing schools and other students. All it really does is create confusion.

In my opinion, all colleges have to go through the same process. They are approved by the same regulatory bodies. The schools that have been around longer, will have trained more students. It makes sense that they will have both more satisified and unsatisfied students. These forums tend to lend themselves to unsatisfied students because they have a "bone to pick" with someone or something.

I see all these negative comments about schools like TCDHA, Oxford College, Oxford North, Xincon, Yorkville etc. Through personal friendships, Facebook groups and MySpace groups I know some students from most of these schools and for the most part, they seem happy. Having said this, I don't think anyone feels 100% prepared and I think everyone questions the training they received - at least a little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

89 months ago

Hey "my opinion"!

I have a question for you. Its not about the school, but rather about the area the school is in. I am planning to purchase a condo or high rise in the area, but i want to avoid all the sketchy areas and find a location that is easy for me to get to school. Any suggestions as to which areas are better than others for Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries? I am attending the august 2008, totally psyched about it, but just need to find a place to live now. help :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

caution in Toronto, Ontario

89 months ago

Can I say something about the private school issue unless you actually experience something yourself your input really is not valid.

Have you failed a semester (you pass all your theory but they fail you in clinic and have to repay??

Do you think everyone that attends a private school has a money tree growing so you can just keep on spending.

Community colleges are by far better first and foremost they have been in business longer then any private school and know how to run the hygiene program.

How long has TCDHA been operating?? 5 years if that and lets look at GBC they have had the hygiene program over 30 years.

No is saying that the private school system but they use the students to their advantage because they know they will continue on paying.

But I do wish anyone the best of luck who is in the private sector.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

hey T,i was wondering if you found a place yet? I have never been to toronto but i was hoping you could fill me in with some details as to which areas are the better ones for north york. I would want to avoid the shabby ghetto side that is for sure. I am looking for convenient. Did you manage to find one yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

missy in Edmonton, Alberta said: Hey "my opinion"!

I have a question for you. Its not about the school, but rather about the area the school is in. I am planning to purchase a condo or high rise in the area, but i want to avoid all the sketchy areas and find a location that is easy for me to get to school. Any suggestions as to which areas are better than others for Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries? I am attending the august 2008, totally psyched about it, but just need to find a place to live now. help :(

Anywhere in the Downsview area is good. try to find an condo near sheppard and allen rd.

89 months ago

caution in Toronto, Ontario said: Can I say something about the private school issue unless you actually experience something yourself your input really is not valid.

Have you failed a semester (you pass all your theory but they fail you in clinic and have to repay??

Do you think everyone that attends a private school has a money tree growing so you can just keep on spending.

Community colleges are by far better first and foremost they have been in business longer then any private school and know how to run the hygiene program.

How long has TCDHA been operating?? 5 years if that and lets look at GBC they have had the hygiene program over 30 years.

No is saying that the private school system but they use the students to their advantage because they know they will continue on paying.

But I do wish anyone the best of luck who is in the private sector.

There in is the real problem. If you fail a course you have to repay to take it. This is the money grab of private career colleges - right?

I went to university in Toronto and guess what, if I failed a course, I had to pay to retake it! I didn't fail any courses. I studied hard and got through all of my courses. Not everyone learns at the same pace. Not everyone is destined to succeed. Private Career Colleges get a bad rap if they fail students. They also get a bad rap if they pass students that don't deserve to pass. It's a "Catch 22".

I am glad that these schools are not just giving the diploma to students - at the risk of getting bad publicity. I think that is a big problem. Many students go to PCC's because they think they can buy a diploma. At the end of the day. I am not a registered dental hygienist. My instructors are. Some instructors are more difficult than others. I take what I can from each one of them, regardless, because they do have more experience than me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Repaying for a course is never the issue however the way some schools treat their students is.

I completely agree you fail a course you pay but the level of professionalism from a private school to a community college well you can not compare.

I would rather have a GBC hygiene diploma compared to any private school diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Confused in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

89 months ago

I have been reading through this forum and I am even more confused but have a few more questions. Sorry if these have already been answered.

If you are finding a job outside of Ontario, Do employers "frown" upon having a diploma from a private college. Or can it be a matter of how well you do on the board exam or if you have further education such as a BSc.

Also, I have read a few responses in regards to the Canadian Academy of Dental Hygiene and Regency, but does anyone else have any information on them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Getting desperate... in Toronto, Ontario

89 months ago

wow! after reading some of these comments I came to realize that my school (CADH in Mississauga) wasnt all that bad after all! lol!! I never thought I would say this. If you are looking for quality education that will prepare you for the boards and work, I guess I would recommend my school after hearing some of the issues that went on at other schools. I would not recommend the program to those that think they will come out of school and make good money, because Im still struggling to find work almost 8 months after graduation - but thats cause I live in teh GTA which is currently saturated:( for those who are thinking of coming out of province, my class had 14 students that came from Alberta and BC, and they are all now working and happy back home. However, there were a couple students that were kept back from graduating but thats because they simply did not meet all the requirements (and those requirements are tough to meet if you fail competencies - remember- everyone learns at their own pace, and if you have too many no shows or cancellations from clients)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zoe in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Stacey in Markham, Ontario said: hows canadian business college for dental hygiene program?

OMG"SHHH do not go to canadian business college.. they are all about money. i went there for hygiene for a year then i ended up doing dental assisting. they have teachers teaching that dont even knwo how to speak proper english. just because they they were a dentist back home. anyways so this last banch had 30 student all of them left for expect 11. and they will never get accredited bacuse they have too many compliants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lovin in Surrey, British Columbia

88 months ago

Hi
I am going to CADH in mississauga on may 5th. Anyone joining the same class?

88 months ago

Zoe,

Are there not two Canadian Business College one on 2 Bloor stree and the second which recently changed names from CBC to George Yonge College.

Can I ask why did you do Dental Assisting?

True in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

caution in Toronto, Ontario said: Zoe,

Are there not two Canadian Business College one on 2 Bloor stree and the second which recently changed names from CBC to George Yonge College.

Can I ask why did you do Dental Assisting?

Hey Zoe
Thats right. George yonge is good. They did change the name as they had a lot of problems due to other Canadian college. But this school is reasonable and nice. I went there and am a hygieniest today.

zoe in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

really???? how much is their tuition??? canadian business college was there from maybe over 10 years btu when they opened dental hygiene which was 3 years ago.. so did george young. my friend is going there and i'm glad u r liking it. i'm going to kent college in july...

88 months ago

No I would not go to George Yonge go to Kent it will be accredited before you finish

George yonge college is a fake wanta be CBC they follow what Canadian Business Colleges does do not go there at all waste of time and money.

zoe in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

yeah u r right!! george young wanted to take their name for some old reason.. i just want to know if they do take creditd from CBC cuz i have finished two semesters in canadian business college and had enough of everything. so i dropped out and so did alot of ppl in my class.

88 months ago

Yes I know Zoe I met a few people who had problems at CBC but if you go to George Yonge they are not accredited.

Look around at different schools, did you go to Kent and see if they will accept your credits maybe you can start in the middle of 2nd semester instead of doing everything all over again.

zoe in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

yes i did go to kent college and am starting july but i have to start everything over again. i lost so much money already... my friend that will be going to geogre young said they might take ur credits and she will only have to pay for the clinics. so if i can do that and start maybe second semester. do u think that will be okay??? i just dont want to go throught the trouble again.. u know

88 months ago

did you go to George yonge college to visit?

They lied to a friend of mine telling her they were eligble but they were misleading because CBC was the actual school which is accredited

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Zoe,

Go with what you feel to be right, if you want visit George Yonge and see the school for yourself but if you have decided on Kent then stick to that decision.

My only advise would be go where you feel comfortable and you like the school too.

True in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

zoe in Toronto, Ontario said:

Hey
Thats not true. George yonge is a good school. AND yes they do accept credits which other colleges do not. The instructors are great not just that they have also started DENTURISM.

t in Scarborough, Ontario

88 months ago

George Yonge does lie to people who visit the school misleading them.

They will tell you they are eligibe. I know for a fact a person told me and they are not.

So why not tell the students the truth out of all the private d.h schools that is the worst one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

88 months ago

t in Scarborough, Ontario said: George Yonge does lie to people who visit the school misleading them.

They will tell you they are eligibe. I know for a fact a person told me and they are not.

So why not tell the students the truth out of all the private d.h schools that is the worst one.

You are right about the accreditation. If anyone goes to the CDHO (College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario) and CDA (Canadian Dental Association), those sites will list the schools that are accredited and "program under survey". Any representation by the private colleges that are inconsistent with what the CDHO and CDA lists are just false and misleading.

If the schools can't tell you the truth about their current status, walk away before making a costly commitment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

88 months ago

Beth in Scarborough, Ontario said: I totally agree with interdental. Oxford is a very bad school. A lot of shaddy stuff goes on in the "clinic". I do NOT recommend this school to anyone because I have seen with my own eyes all kinds of stuff. As for peter the librarian posting a blog, hes LIBRARIAN, he really has no clue what goes on in that school.

Are you referring to Oxford or Oxford North? I am getting a bit confused, even though both schools have problems as stated by the others.

jennifer in Summerland, British Columbia

88 months ago

hey "lovin" in surrey. I am going to CADH in May 2008. I havent heard a lot either. My friend is in the program now, she started last May. So she has giving me an unbiased view. The goods, the bads... I origanlly got accepted to CIDH in Hamilton but passed up the offer for January because my loan didnt come through yet. Join the facebook group "CADH starting May 2008" to meet more people! Good luck, see you in two weeks!

jennifer in Summerland, British Columbia

88 months ago

Oh btw, I think the private schools are all going to have their "crap" going on. I just think you need to make an informed decision based on what you've heard and hope it goes well and do your absolute best! Being from BC, it is not saturated like Ontario with hygienists so we have a better chance of getting a job becuase there is not many schools out here offering hygiene. I already have a few offers for when I get back!!

zoe in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

True in Toronto, Ontario said: Hey
Thats not true. George yonge is a good school. AND yes they do accept credits which other colleges do not. The instructors are great not just that they have also started DENTURISM.

Did u go to george young college urself that why ur saying it's a good school?????

Lovin in Surrey, British Columbia

88 months ago

Hey jennifer

Thanks for heads up, i really wanted to have some touch wid someone goin to same college. Lookin forward to see evryone....
lovin

jenny in Edmonton, Alberta

88 months ago

Lilu in Brampton, Ontario said: Has anyone heard of Kent College for Dental Hygiene??? I heard their good and only accept 14 students!!!

hi, i went there for a interview and stuff. and mann its pretty gheto. haha. but then the president is reall friendly and he says that its like ka family and stuff there. it seems like tey take care of you? but its a small small school and it doesn't seem very developled. ive heard not such great things about tit hoguh.

su in Edmonton, Alberta

88 months ago

hi, i got accepted into yorkville college for the sept intake and i was hoping someone would give me some tips on this school? I know this school is under review for accediation. Also, i got into the decemeber intake at toronto college of dental hygiene and axullaries and im not sure which one to choose! any advcice?

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

su in Edmonton, Alberta said: hi, i got accepted into yorkville college for the sept intake and i was hoping someone would give me some tips on this school? I know this school is under review for accediation. Also, i got into the decemeber intake at toronto college of dental hygiene and axullaries and im not sure which one to choose! any advcice?

If you want to complete the dental hygiene program and take the national board and return to Alberta, I would suggest that you go to Toronto College of Dental Hygiene, just because it is accredited and you won't have any hassle of further examination. If you go to Yorkville and it does not receive full accreditation at the time of your graduation, you will have to go through the clinical examination after passing the national board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Get Serious in Scarborough, Ontario

88 months ago

jenny in Edmonton, Alberta said: hi, i went there for a interview and stuff. and mann its pretty gheto. haha. but then the president is reall friendly and he says that its like ka family and stuff there. it seems like tey take care of you? but its a small small school and it doesn't seem very developled. ive heard not such great things about tit hoguh.

Jenny, the only issue at Kent College were the hallways which were renovated a few months back. The classrooms and clinic are very nice - hi-tech. I should know cause I'm a student at the college. You're right though, the president and the rest of the faculty are very nice. It is family like - sounds kinda cheesy but it's true.

tt in Scarborough, Ontario

88 months ago

sdfdsf

student in Port Mann, British Columbia

88 months ago

jennifer in Summerland, British Columbia said: hey "lovin" in surrey. I am going to CADH in May 2008. I havent heard a lot either. My friend is in the program now, she started last May. So she has giving me an unbiased view. The goods, the bads... I origanlly got accepted to CIDH in Hamilton but passed up the offer for January because my loan didnt come through yet. Join the facebook group "CADH starting May 2008" to meet more people! Good luck, see you in two weeks!

Hey Jennifer,

being a BC residet going to ontario, how did you find the process?
how are u finding CADH right now?

thanks!

joanne in Edmonton, Alberta

88 months ago

has anyone hear of candian business college? Is it a good school for ental hygiene? i nkow its accredited and its been running fora long time though.

jennifer in Mississauga, Ontario

88 months ago

Hey Student,

I applied for the school in january, wrote my entrance exam at a college in my community in february and was accepted by middle of march. All the paperwork was sent out to me, and I am in Ontario right now. I start the program next Monday so I will have to see what it is like! My girlfriend is one year through at CADH and she has told me all the ups and downs and what to expect. So I think it will be really really tough but worth it! Good luck!

Steven in Scarborough, Ontario

88 months ago

can anyone share the experience and tell me the difficulty of getting accept into toronto dental hygiene college. How competitive is it.

do you require high grades in terms of the pre requisite in order to be consider by colleges in toronto

Potential Dental Hygienist in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Hi Guys !

Is Yorkville College so great ?

I really liked their new clinic at Yonge - http:\\www.yorkvillecollege.com, but how difficult to find a job after all ?

Regards and Thanks for input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dental Hygienist in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Dental Hygienist in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

I'd better look at their clinic

dental-hygienist.blogspot.com/

su in Edmonton, Alberta

88 months ago

does anyone know how long the wait is to take the board exam after graduation? Esp for non accredited programs?

Advisor in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Hi Everyone,

Yorkville College is a good school in Toronto area, check out their web site

yorkvillecollege.com/

DH program page

yorkvillecollege.com/htmln/ProgramDentalHygiene.html

Dental Clinic pics

dental-hygienist.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

=] su

88 months ago

hi, i just aplied to that school and the seats filled up quickly so im on the waiting list for the august session. \just study for the admissions entrace exam. its on bio, chem and english. but its pretty easy though. you should study the heart and cells and stuff liek that. but thee toughtest part would be the spatial relations questions. also, you should get volunteer hours at a dental clinic and stuff and maye that would help cuz thats what i did.

88 months ago

hey su,
can you share with us specifically what the entrance exam consists of..
what about the heart, what about cells is tested?

Thank you :)

su in Edmonton, Alberta

88 months ago

mm its like the ventricles and the aorta and atrium and stuf like that. and study the standard blood pressure and stuff. i took the exam like a two months ago so i kinda forgot a bit of it. and know your lympthic system and the immune system.( like b cells and t cells and stuff). thats all i can think of for now. sorry

88 months ago

oh that's plenty helpful thank you :)

The Truth in Thornhill, Ontario

88 months ago

Advisor in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi Everyone,

Yorkville College is a good school in Toronto area, check out their web site

/

This for Advisor and Dental Hygienist, how long have you been WORKING for Yorkville. It's the only reason I can think that you would write such great things about Yorkville. You guys recently had 9 students transfer out of your school. I'm one of them. A word to the wise, we didn't transfer because Yorkville was so great. We were ridiculed, belittled and made to feel incompetent - not my idea of proper instructing.

If this information is useful to any one out there, I'll share it with you. Most of us transferred to Aurora Dental College because we live up in that area. It's pretty far north of Toronto (about an hour) . I think some went to Kent College which is in Toronto. I believe Kent was not giving advance standing to any transfer students but Aurora Dental College did. Both schools have a good rep - much better than Yorkville!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

su in Edmonton, Alberta

88 months ago

The Truth in Thornhill, Ontario said: This for Advisor and Dental Hygienist, how long have you been WORKING for Yorkville. It's the only reason I can think that you would write such great things about Yorkville. You guys recently had 9 students transfer out of your school. I'm one of them. A word to the wise, we didn't transfer because Yorkville was so great. We were ridiculed, belittled and made to feel incompetent - not my idea of proper instructing.

If this information is useful to any one out there, I'll share it with you. Most of us transferred to Aurora Dental College because we live up in that area. It's pretty far north of Toronto (about an hour) . I think some went to Kent College which is in Toronto. I believe Kent was not giving advance standing to any transfer students but Aurora Dental College did. Both schools have a good rep - much better than Yorkville!

the truth,
can you tel lme why you transferred out of the program? Im hearing different sides of schools. Some people say they really take care of you and stuff and then i hear your side! yikes. hah.But then it really makes me think becasue that school has been around for 7 years but they are not fully accrediated yet. Whats up witih that?

88 months ago

Holly Kay in Markham, Ontario said: I would highly suggest seeing the school before signing up. (especially this one-I was not impressed at all) zero infection control!!!

Hmm.. when did you visit the school last Holly? I went to visit the school a couple weeks back and it looked and smelt clean. I'm worried now.... I just found it kinda weird how its college was situated in the middle of nowhere- didn't really look like a school to be honest.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.