colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 3269)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

emily

84 months ago

missy what school are you talking about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dental in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

The Truth in Thornhill, Ontario

Are you happy at Aurora dental, do they treat students with respect?

Something alot of these private schools don't and I agree with you Adviosr is working for Yorkville.

True in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

emily said: missy what school are you talking about?

which school are you talking about. can you be kind enough to tell please.

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

I moved to Toronto from Alberta in January to attend Canadian Business College. I attended for 1 week and knew that the school was NOT professional. They had also led me to believe that they would more than likely become accredited by the time I started my semester.
The school has a nice facility, but the faculty are overall unprofessional. Just to give you a heads up, the class I started with was supposed to be 26 students, and when I left, it only had 7 left...one week in!
I am now going to Regency, and I believe that I made the right decision. All of the faculty are very knowledgable in their expertise, and I am fully confident that I am getting the best education. It is more expensive, but worth it.
T-Ram

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

What about Xincon College I heard bad things before but I do know they changed has anyone anythng to add to this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

i haven't heard about Xincon

84 months ago

What happened to Canadian Business College why did they lose their eligibility? I heard it was an ok school?

However I never did attend.

84 months ago

What happened to the other students who left? They all left for the same reason?

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

84 months ago

Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries, its surrounded more by manufacturing companies than actual schools.. its kind of isolated in this deserted area with no malls, schools, or supermarkets, its really isolated. The people at the school are nice and the school is nice on the inside but the area of it just does not seem like a school nor a college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jjj in Mississauga, Ontario

84 months ago

After starting the course here in Mississauga, infection control is a huge thing. It doesnt matter how the school looks or smells. It could be contaminated still. This is a huge misconduct matter in clinic at our school as they stress infection control soo much. Hope you all choose the right school!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

su in Edmonton, Alberta

84 months ago

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario said: I moved to Toronto from Alberta in January to attend Canadian Business College. I attended for 1 week and knew that the school was NOT professional. They had also led me to believe that they would more than likely become accredited by the time I started my semester.
The school has a nice facility, but the faculty are overall unprofessional. Just to give you a heads up, the class I started with was supposed to be 26 students, and when I left, it only had 7 left...one week in!
I am now going to Regency, and I believe that I made the right decision. All of the faculty are very knowledgable in their expertise, and I am fully confident that I am getting the best education. It is more expensive, but worth it.
T-Ram

i heard it was a bad school too but i know that CBC is fully accredited. Thats weird esp since you sid they were so unprofessoinal and everything.

The Truth in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

su in Edmonton, Alberta said: i heard it was a bad school too but i know that CBC is fully accredited. Thats weird esp since you sid they were so unprofessoinal and everything.

You may be a little confused. CBC is not accredited. They lost their Program Survey Staus last year. As for Yorkville, the whole situation is bad. The school is all about money and has little focus on education. They built a new clinic and started taking as many students in as possible to cover their costs. I originally went to them because they have OSAP. I should have done more research. We were not taught properly. Teachers continuosly put us down. When we complained to the Program Director, she would not listen. We spoke to some Yorkville graduates who told us they were not prepared to work in private practice. Some were told this by their employers. For some of us , this all added up to trouble.
The ones that passed the written and clinical only did so because they attended refresher courses offered at other schools like Aurora Dental College, Aplus and maybe Toronto College of Dental Hygiene.

DHstudent in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

I'm currently a student at the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxillaries that is set to graduate this summer. I really believe I attend one of the best hygiene schools in Ontario. At first some of the instructors seemed unsympathetic to our situations (being away from home, not having time for ourselves, being heavily in debt) but by the end of the 1st semester it was pretty clear that the faculty were being hard on us and at the same time supporting us so that we worked harder. One of our instructors said to us one day "do you know what average means? It means the best of the crap. Don't aim for average, aim to be the best".

One of the comments I read on here is that the college is in an industrial area and it's true that it's not visually attractive but trust me when I say that the area can provide many clients for you as many of the workers are without benefits and there are a lot of low income families in the surrounding areas.

If anyone has any questions about the clinic, workload, instructors or anything about TCDHA, feel free to ask because I wish I knew what I was getting into by getting into this profession and before going to TCDHA.

Also, I would highly recommended not going to Yorkville College regardless of what you've been told. I went there for 3 weeks, 1 year before I started at TCDHA and it was a nightmare. The instructors weren't supportive, the
co-ordinater is uninformed and the school is never going to be accreditated (if things don't change). A couple of my friends that decided to stay graduated in December 2007 so I am well aware of what is still going on at that college.

If you have any questions about TCDHA or Yorkville feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Bleeding unhealing wounds in Toronto, Ontario said: Toronto College is the worst, they treat student with no respect at all very inhuman. The instructors will yell at you in front of your clients. They prepare false documentations against the students and make them sign it.What just because its an accredited college it does not mean they can do what they want.We should rise up and protest to this all of us. We are not here to pay $36000 fees and get humiliated. It yucks. Regency is the best dental hygiene school trust me guys.

I'm currently a student at the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxillaries that is set to graduate this summer. I really believe I attend one of the best hygiene schools in Ontario. At first some of the instructors seemed unsympathetic to our situations (being away from home, not having time for ourselves, being heavily in debt) but by the end of the 1st semester it was pretty clear that the faculty were being hard on us and at the same time supporting us so that we worked harder. One of our instructors said to us one day "do you know what average means? It means the best of the crap. Don't aim for average, aim to be the best".

One of the comments I read on here is that the college is in an industrial area and it's true that it's not visually attractive but trust me when I say that the area can provide many clients for you as many of the workers are without benefits and there are a lot of low income families in the surrounding areas.

If anyone has any questions about the clinic, workload, instructors or anything about TCDHA, feel free to ask because I wish I knew what I was getting into by getting into this profession and before going to TCDHA.

Also, I would highly recommended not going to Yorkville College regardless of what you've been told. I went there for 3 weeks, 1 year before I started at TCDHA and it was a nightmare. The instructors weren't supportive, the
co-ordinater is uninformed and the s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Sorry, part of my comment got erased.

The instructors weren't supportive, the
co-ordinater is uninformed and the school is never going to be accreditated (if things don't change). A couple of my friends that decided to stay graduated in December 2007 so I am well aware of what is still going on at that college.

If you have any questions about TCDHA or Yorkville feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pathfinder in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

again this sounds as though u r a employee of TCDHA. I MYSELF HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THIS THERE . so what so ever is ur explination please do no mislead students . not just me my other friends toooooooo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Hey Dhstudent!

Your comment on TCDHA really was very helpful for me, i was curious i am from alberta going here this august, what is the residency like? And is infection control as bad as what these people are saying?

84 months ago

In regards to CBC losing eligibility...they lost their status because they didn't comply to the changes they were supposed to make for the accreditation in time. Apparently there was a lot of miscommunication between the school and the board...who knows, that's what they told me when I was there.

84 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

I think that Regency is a really great school. I am currently attending it.

pathfinder in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

the best of best is George Brown College.

Confused Gal... in Brampton, Ontario

84 months ago

Heyya frenzzzzzzzzzzz....Did any of ya heard bout' Huron College its Located in Rexdale...I jst went dere for my enterance xam'...is it a good school to do dental Hygiene...??m really confused . Ny help wud b appreciated...

Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

helper in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

well its a new school. they applied for eligibility 2 times and were turned down. now i dont know y. so u have 2 decide now.

84 months ago

really they have turned down....??? i asked dem wen are dey gettin' accredation and they told me dat dey are in process of gettin' it...may be they 'll get it in a year or so....m soooooooooooo confused...does ny one have nythin else 2 saii...

84 months ago

Does ny know if you can get ur courses switch in George brown?? cuz i was late 2 apply for dental hygiene program @ GBC and d admissions were closed...so i decided to take admission in other dental program there....I wanna do Dental hygiene @ GBC so can i change my courses wen the admissions are available...??

question in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

helper in Toronto,

What about Xincon College?

84 months ago

truely speaking if u really want 2 go private dental hygiene school go for Regency. Xincon is a worthless school.

84 months ago

helper,

Why is Xincon worthless many students have graduated from that school?

84 months ago

go n try it i bet u will stop within 2 weeks.

Jerm in Calgary, Alberta

84 months ago

what do you mean when you say a school has a bad infection control

DH student in Tottenham, Ontario

84 months ago

pathfinder in Toronto, Ontario said: again this sounds as though u r a employee of TCDHA. I MYSELF HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THIS THERE . so what so ever is ur explination please do no mislead students . not just me my other friends toooooooo.

No I don't work there and I don't know what your experience was/is like there but I'm only sharing my point of view.

DH student in Tottenham, Ontario

84 months ago

missy in Edmonton, Alberta said: Hey Dhstudent!

Your comment on TCDHA really was very helpful for me, i was curious i am from alberta going here this august, what is the residency like? And is infection control as bad as what these people are saying?

I don't remember the details about residence but I do remember thinking there aren't enough bathrooms in the house. You will have many 8am classes and in 2nd and 4th semester you'll have to be at school at 7:30am so you can only imagine the chaos that could occur in the morning. There are a lot of apartments in the area but it's sort of in a wierd area with a lot of low income housing as well as newly renovated homes so the prices and apartment styles vary.

In terms of infection control, it's kind of hard to say. I always wiped down my unit, run my lines etc, but I guess it's not really enforced by instructors. I have wondered about our sterilization area because half of our area is clean and half of it is not but where they meet is where we wrap our instruments so I have wondered if the clean area really is clean and if cross contamination has happened (very likely).

A couple of things to keep in mind is that although TCDHA is a good school it does have it's faults but I don't know if it's unique to TCDHA. A couple to mention are rules that are constantly changing and dealing with instructors that will take their fustrations out on you in clinic just because their having a bad day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

helpful information in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

I graduated from TCDHA a year ago and i can say that it is NOT the best school in toronto.
I can say that one thing that was good about that school was there theory classes. The teachers were not the best instructors but they had alot of good usefull information for us.
Clinic on the other hand was horrible. Infection control was horrible, the instructors there would yell at you and embaress you infront of your client, they had favorites in clinic who they would want to go see first or who they thought were better in clinic.
I found that there was alot of racisims in that school you would get along with the instructors if you were a young white good looking girl, alot of the ethnic girls there always complained about being treated bad.
I knew of alot of girls who cheated their way through graduation. They would cheat in theory and also in clinic. The program cordinator knew about this but did nothing. The program cordinator and the "heads" of the school were also very fake "fake tears" and only cared about $.
I knew of a few girls from previous semesters who got kicked out from their last semester due to either failing a class(es) or didn't have enough credits, they didn't want to see people succeed they didn't care as long as they got their money they were happy.
If you are a young, caucasian girl who loves to kiss some butt then i would highly suggest you go to this school, yes i have graduated and am working but my 2 yrs there were hell especially during clinic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

OO this is some very good input :) Thanks DH Student, I will probably have more questions for you later but this is great thanks!

help please in Edmonton, Alberta

84 months ago

can someone give me some information about regency? I went to the interview and they seem like a really strict school. i hear people say its a good school but how so?

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Regency is one of the best schools out there, much better than Toronto college of dental hygiene and auxiliaries, one of my friends went there she hated it said they <Edited by Host Libelous Comment Removed> and very rude didn't care in anyone graduated they wanted money!

I went to Regency, i loved it!
yes they are very strict, you must attend all of your classes if you miss 3 classes you are likly to get kicked out. But it's better that way, you want to go there and learn and study harder.
Clinic isn't so bad, they are strict like any other school. Excellent infection control, beautiful chairs. I would highly recommend you go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

=) in Scarborough, Ontario

84 months ago

How about Durham College in Oshawa????

84 months ago

Scarborough, Durham College is better then any private school.

All of the community colleges are better then any private school.

Hope this helps.

help please in Edmonton, Alberta

84 months ago

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: Regency is one of the best schools out there, much better than Toronto college of dental hygiene and auxiliaries, one of my friends went there she hated it said they were racist and very rude didn't care in anyone graduated they wanted money!

I went to Regency, i loved it!
yes they are very strict, you must attend all of your classes if you miss 3 classes you are likly to get kicked out. But it's better that way, you want to go there and learn and study harder.
Clinic isn't so bad, they are strict like any other school. Excellent infection control, beautiful chairs. I would highly recommend you go!

thanks DH. I got accepted into the september intake and im definately going to regency over yorkville. how many students are in your classes ?

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

You are gonna love regency! Excellent staff

Well we have about 35 girls in our class

s_m_a_r_t_gurl in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

caution in Toronto, Ontario said: did you go to George yonge college to visit?

They lied to a friend of mine telling her they were eligble but they were misleading because CBC was the actual school which is accredited

i juz wanna replied for this comment. I just finished studying here in this college,they are a-o-k though they r small school. Wen i inquired before they never said that, and as far as i know my other classmate were informed from the beginning that the program is not accredited yet.. I guess they are not that dumb to know that they can be charged in misleading people for wrongful information. ur friend should have checked dental hygiene association in toronto first or could have called back to clear whatever her issue in the school are. How can a school be that stupid when they know wats gonna be the cause of that action.??
CBC? they are getting screwd up now, from wat i heard..

caution in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Actually, the lady <Edited by Host Name Removed> not sure what her name is informed her that they were getting eligibility or are.

This would not be a story I would make up and my friend did tell me this and even told me the location.

Action or not private schools are a business they need students because that brings in the income.

tips in Edmonton, Alberta

84 months ago

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: You are gonna love regency! Excellent staff

Well we have about 35 girls in our class

Ya i was planning to go to yorkville college until I got the acceptance at regency. The stupid thing about yorkville is that they didn't even send me any papers or anything and i had to ask for them myself! Regency, on the other hand is totally more organized becuase they sent me a package and it had all these forms to fill and everything. Im excited but im afraid i wont be able to hand in all those forms like cpr and stuff before the dead line. yikes

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia

84 months ago

help please in Edmonton, Alberta said: thanks DH. I got accepted into the september intake and im definately going to regency over yorkville. how many students are in your classes ?

I am going to Regency for the entrance exam, interview, and tour on June 9th and hopefully I will be accepted for the September 2008 intake!!

Just a few Q's for you if you don't mind:

1. Would you say a deep thorough review is required for the exam? And from a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would you rate it?

2. What are some tips you can give me in regards to the whole interview process?

I'm flying in from Vancouver to Toronto just to do the exam. I'll be in TO for less than 12 hours LOL

Maybe I'll see you in Sept!! Thanks for any feedback you can provide me with!! =)

Confused in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Can any one tell me about George Yonge?
I know CBC is pretty messed up but what about George Yonge. Is that a good school?

84 months ago

Confused in Toronto, Ontario said: Can any one tell me about George Yonge?
I know CBC is pretty messed up but what about George Yonge. Is that a good school?

well it is better than CBC.

84 months ago

better in which way "helper"?

84 months ago

Confused in Toronto, Ontario said: better in which way "helper"?

cheap and good no stress friendly atmosphere

helper aid in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

2 hours ago
Can any one tell me about George Yonge?

Why not visit the school and judge for yourself? Before you decide on any school visit them and gather information they provide you. Make a list and visit and see which one is best suited for you.

Beautiful day in Mississauga, Ontario

84 months ago

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I am going to Regency for the entrance exam, interview, and tour on June 9th and hopefully I will be accepted for the September 2008 intake!!

1. Would you say a deep thorough review is required for the exam? And from a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would you rate it?

2. What are some tips you can give me in regards to the whole interview process?

I'm flying in from Vancouver to Toronto just to do the exam. I'll be in TO for less than 12 hours LOL

Maybe I'll see you in Sept!! Thanks for any feedback you can provide me with!! =)

I am starting Regency in September. I can tell you honestly not to go crazy about the exam. It is very basic and the interview isn't too stressful. For the science section just study the basics, there are more problems you have to solve w/ graphs then "conceptual questions" Math is very easy. There is some critical thinking but its not like you can really study for that. I wish you luck! I really love the school a lot and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I was freaking out before the exam too.

Su in Edmonton, Alberta

84 months ago

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I am going to Regency for the entrance exam, interview, and tour on June 9th and hopefully I will be accepted for the September 2008 intake!!

To be honest with you, i thought the exam was not as easy as i thought it would be. I studied my bio and chem stuff but if you fail that portion, i think your allowed to retake it. i thought the deadline was april for the sep intake. Guess not=] The interview part was kind of tough becuase she was li,e, why did you get this low in this mark, blah blah blah. But overall, it shows that they are a really tough and strict, yet good and organized school. But overall, as long as you do your researh about regency (like its accredited, and stuff) you should be fine. It wont be too bad. GOOD LUCK! hope to see yo soon

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.