colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 3289)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

caution in Toronto, Ontario

77 months ago

Zoe,

Go with what you feel to be right, if you want visit George Yonge and see the school for yourself but if you have decided on Kent then stick to that decision.

My only advise would be go where you feel comfortable and you like the school too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

True in Toronto, Ontario

77 months ago

zoe in Toronto, Ontario said:

Hey
Thats not true. George yonge is a good school. AND yes they do accept credits which other colleges do not. The instructors are great not just that they have also started DENTURISM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t in Scarborough, Ontario

77 months ago

George Yonge does lie to people who visit the school misleading them.

They will tell you they are eligibe. I know for a fact a person told me and they are not.

So why not tell the students the truth out of all the private d.h schools that is the worst one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

77 months ago

t in Scarborough, Ontario said: George Yonge does lie to people who visit the school misleading them.

They will tell you they are eligibe. I know for a fact a person told me and they are not.

So why not tell the students the truth out of all the private d.h schools that is the worst one.

You are right about the accreditation. If anyone goes to the CDHO (College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario) and CDA (Canadian Dental Association), those sites will list the schools that are accredited and "program under survey". Any representation by the private colleges that are inconsistent with what the CDHO and CDA lists are just false and misleading.

If the schools can't tell you the truth about their current status, walk away before making a costly commitment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

77 months ago

Beth in Scarborough, Ontario said: I totally agree with interdental. Oxford is a very bad school. A lot of shaddy stuff goes on in the "clinic". I do NOT recommend this school to anyone because I have seen with my own eyes all kinds of stuff. As for peter the librarian posting a blog, hes LIBRARIAN, he really has no clue what goes on in that school.

Are you referring to Oxford or Oxford North? I am getting a bit confused, even though both schools have problems as stated by the others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Summerland, British Columbia

77 months ago

hey "lovin" in surrey. I am going to CADH in May 2008. I havent heard a lot either. My friend is in the program now, she started last May. So she has giving me an unbiased view. The goods, the bads... I origanlly got accepted to CIDH in Hamilton but passed up the offer for January because my loan didnt come through yet. Join the facebook group "CADH starting May 2008" to meet more people! Good luck, see you in two weeks!

jennifer in Summerland, British Columbia

77 months ago

Oh btw, I think the private schools are all going to have their "crap" going on. I just think you need to make an informed decision based on what you've heard and hope it goes well and do your absolute best! Being from BC, it is not saturated like Ontario with hygienists so we have a better chance of getting a job becuase there is not many schools out here offering hygiene. I already have a few offers for when I get back!!

zoe in Toronto, Ontario

77 months ago

True in Toronto, Ontario said: Hey
Thats not true. George yonge is a good school. AND yes they do accept credits which other colleges do not. The instructors are great not just that they have also started DENTURISM.

Did u go to george young college urself that why ur saying it's a good school?????

Lovin in Surrey, British Columbia

77 months ago

Hey jennifer

Thanks for heads up, i really wanted to have some touch wid someone goin to same college. Lookin forward to see evryone....
lovin

jenny in Edmonton, Alberta

77 months ago

Lilu in Brampton, Ontario said: Has anyone heard of Kent College for Dental Hygiene??? I heard their good and only accept 14 students!!!

hi, i went there for a interview and stuff. and mann its pretty gheto. haha. but then the president is reall friendly and he says that its like ka family and stuff there. it seems like tey take care of you? but its a small small school and it doesn't seem very developled. ive heard not such great things about tit hoguh.

su in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

hi, i got accepted into yorkville college for the sept intake and i was hoping someone would give me some tips on this school? I know this school is under review for accediation. Also, i got into the decemeber intake at toronto college of dental hygiene and axullaries and im not sure which one to choose! any advcice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

su in Edmonton, Alberta said: hi, i got accepted into yorkville college for the sept intake and i was hoping someone would give me some tips on this school? I know this school is under review for accediation. Also, i got into the decemeber intake at toronto college of dental hygiene and axullaries and im not sure which one to choose! any advcice?

If you want to complete the dental hygiene program and take the national board and return to Alberta, I would suggest that you go to Toronto College of Dental Hygiene, just because it is accredited and you won't have any hassle of further examination. If you go to Yorkville and it does not receive full accreditation at the time of your graduation, you will have to go through the clinical examination after passing the national board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Get Serious in Scarborough, Ontario

76 months ago

jenny in Edmonton, Alberta said: hi, i went there for a interview and stuff. and mann its pretty gheto. haha. but then the president is reall friendly and he says that its like ka family and stuff there. it seems like tey take care of you? but its a small small school and it doesn't seem very developled. ive heard not such great things about tit hoguh.

Jenny, the only issue at Kent College were the hallways which were renovated a few months back. The classrooms and clinic are very nice - hi-tech. I should know cause I'm a student at the college. You're right though, the president and the rest of the faculty are very nice. It is family like - sounds kinda cheesy but it's true.

tt in Scarborough, Ontario

76 months ago

sdfdsf

student in Port Mann, British Columbia

76 months ago

jennifer in Summerland, British Columbia said: hey "lovin" in surrey. I am going to CADH in May 2008. I havent heard a lot either. My friend is in the program now, she started last May. So she has giving me an unbiased view. The goods, the bads... I origanlly got accepted to CIDH in Hamilton but passed up the offer for January because my loan didnt come through yet. Join the facebook group "CADH starting May 2008" to meet more people! Good luck, see you in two weeks!

Hey Jennifer,

being a BC residet going to ontario, how did you find the process?
how are u finding CADH right now?

thanks!

joanne in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

has anyone hear of candian business college? Is it a good school for ental hygiene? i nkow its accredited and its been running fora long time though.

jennifer in Mississauga, Ontario

76 months ago

Hey Student,

I applied for the school in january, wrote my entrance exam at a college in my community in february and was accepted by middle of march. All the paperwork was sent out to me, and I am in Ontario right now. I start the program next Monday so I will have to see what it is like! My girlfriend is one year through at CADH and she has told me all the ups and downs and what to expect. So I think it will be really really tough but worth it! Good luck!

Steven in Scarborough, Ontario

76 months ago

can anyone share the experience and tell me the difficulty of getting accept into toronto dental hygiene college. How competitive is it.

do you require high grades in terms of the pre requisite in order to be consider by colleges in toronto

Potential Dental Hygienist in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

Hi Guys !

Is Yorkville College so great ?

I really liked their new clinic at Yonge - http:\\www.yorkvillecollege.com, but how difficult to find a job after all ?

Regards and Thanks for input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dental Hygienist in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

Dental Hygienist in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

I'd better look at their clinic

dental-hygienist.blogspot.com/

su in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

does anyone know how long the wait is to take the board exam after graduation? Esp for non accredited programs?

Advisor in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

Hi Everyone,

Yorkville College is a good school in Toronto area, check out their web site

yorkvillecollege.com/

DH program page

yorkvillecollege.com/htmln/ProgramDentalHygiene.html

Dental Clinic pics

dental-hygienist.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

=] su

76 months ago

hi, i just aplied to that school and the seats filled up quickly so im on the waiting list for the august session. \just study for the admissions entrace exam. its on bio, chem and english. but its pretty easy though. you should study the heart and cells and stuff liek that. but thee toughtest part would be the spatial relations questions. also, you should get volunteer hours at a dental clinic and stuff and maye that would help cuz thats what i did.

76 months ago

hey su,
can you share with us specifically what the entrance exam consists of..
what about the heart, what about cells is tested?

Thank you :)

su in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

mm its like the ventricles and the aorta and atrium and stuf like that. and study the standard blood pressure and stuff. i took the exam like a two months ago so i kinda forgot a bit of it. and know your lympthic system and the immune system.( like b cells and t cells and stuff). thats all i can think of for now. sorry

76 months ago

oh that's plenty helpful thank you :)

The Truth in Thornhill, Ontario

76 months ago

Advisor in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi Everyone,

Yorkville College is a good school in Toronto area, check out their web site

/

This for Advisor and Dental Hygienist, how long have you been WORKING for Yorkville. It's the only reason I can think that you would write such great things about Yorkville. You guys recently had 9 students transfer out of your school. I'm one of them. A word to the wise, we didn't transfer because Yorkville was so great. We were ridiculed, belittled and made to feel incompetent - not my idea of proper instructing.

If this information is useful to any one out there, I'll share it with you. Most of us transferred to Aurora Dental College because we live up in that area. It's pretty far north of Toronto (about an hour) . I think some went to Kent College which is in Toronto. I believe Kent was not giving advance standing to any transfer students but Aurora Dental College did. Both schools have a good rep - much better than Yorkville!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

su in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

The Truth in Thornhill, Ontario said: This for Advisor and Dental Hygienist, how long have you been WORKING for Yorkville. It's the only reason I can think that you would write such great things about Yorkville. You guys recently had 9 students transfer out of your school. I'm one of them. A word to the wise, we didn't transfer because Yorkville was so great. We were ridiculed, belittled and made to feel incompetent - not my idea of proper instructing.

If this information is useful to any one out there, I'll share it with you. Most of us transferred to Aurora Dental College because we live up in that area. It's pretty far north of Toronto (about an hour) . I think some went to Kent College which is in Toronto. I believe Kent was not giving advance standing to any transfer students but Aurora Dental College did. Both schools have a good rep - much better than Yorkville!

the truth,
can you tel lme why you transferred out of the program? Im hearing different sides of schools. Some people say they really take care of you and stuff and then i hear your side! yikes. hah.But then it really makes me think becasue that school has been around for 7 years but they are not fully accrediated yet. Whats up witih that?

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

Holly Kay in Markham, Ontario said: I would highly suggest seeing the school before signing up. (especially this one-I was not impressed at all) zero infection control!!!

Hmm.. when did you visit the school last Holly? I went to visit the school a couple weeks back and it looked and smelt clean. I'm worried now.... I just found it kinda weird how its college was situated in the middle of nowhere- didn't really look like a school to be honest.

emily

76 months ago

missy what school are you talking about?

Dental in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

The Truth in Thornhill, Ontario

Are you happy at Aurora dental, do they treat students with respect?

Something alot of these private schools don't and I agree with you Adviosr is working for Yorkville.

True in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

emily said: missy what school are you talking about?

which school are you talking about. can you be kind enough to tell please.

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

I moved to Toronto from Alberta in January to attend Canadian Business College. I attended for 1 week and knew that the school was NOT professional. They had also led me to believe that they would more than likely become accredited by the time I started my semester.
The school has a nice facility, but the faculty are overall unprofessional. Just to give you a heads up, the class I started with was supposed to be 26 students, and when I left, it only had 7 left...one week in!
I am now going to Regency, and I believe that I made the right decision. All of the faculty are very knowledgable in their expertise, and I am fully confident that I am getting the best education. It is more expensive, but worth it.
T-Ram

76 months ago

What about Xincon College I heard bad things before but I do know they changed has anyone anythng to add to this.

76 months ago

i haven't heard about Xincon

76 months ago

What happened to Canadian Business College why did they lose their eligibility? I heard it was an ok school?

However I never did attend.

76 months ago

What happened to the other students who left? They all left for the same reason?

76 months ago

Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries, its surrounded more by manufacturing companies than actual schools.. its kind of isolated in this deserted area with no malls, schools, or supermarkets, its really isolated. The people at the school are nice and the school is nice on the inside but the area of it just does not seem like a school nor a college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jjj in Mississauga, Ontario

76 months ago

After starting the course here in Mississauga, infection control is a huge thing. It doesnt matter how the school looks or smells. It could be contaminated still. This is a huge misconduct matter in clinic at our school as they stress infection control soo much. Hope you all choose the right school!

su in Edmonton, Alberta

76 months ago

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario said: I moved to Toronto from Alberta in January to attend Canadian Business College. I attended for 1 week and knew that the school was NOT professional. They had also led me to believe that they would more than likely become accredited by the time I started my semester.
The school has a nice facility, but the faculty are overall unprofessional. Just to give you a heads up, the class I started with was supposed to be 26 students, and when I left, it only had 7 left...one week in!
I am now going to Regency, and I believe that I made the right decision. All of the faculty are very knowledgable in their expertise, and I am fully confident that I am getting the best education. It is more expensive, but worth it.
T-Ram

i heard it was a bad school too but i know that CBC is fully accredited. Thats weird esp since you sid they were so unprofessoinal and everything.

The Truth in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

su in Edmonton, Alberta said: i heard it was a bad school too but i know that CBC is fully accredited. Thats weird esp since you sid they were so unprofessoinal and everything.

You may be a little confused. CBC is not accredited. They lost their Program Survey Staus last year. As for Yorkville, the whole situation is bad. The school is all about money and has little focus on education. They built a new clinic and started taking as many students in as possible to cover their costs. I originally went to them because they have OSAP. I should have done more research. We were not taught properly. Teachers continuosly put us down. When we complained to the Program Director, she would not listen. We spoke to some Yorkville graduates who told us they were not prepared to work in private practice. Some were told this by their employers. For some of us , this all added up to trouble.
The ones that passed the written and clinical only did so because they attended refresher courses offered at other schools like Aurora Dental College, Aplus and maybe Toronto College of Dental Hygiene.

DHstudent in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

I'm currently a student at the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxillaries that is set to graduate this summer. I really believe I attend one of the best hygiene schools in Ontario. At first some of the instructors seemed unsympathetic to our situations (being away from home, not having time for ourselves, being heavily in debt) but by the end of the 1st semester it was pretty clear that the faculty were being hard on us and at the same time supporting us so that we worked harder. One of our instructors said to us one day "do you know what average means? It means the best of the crap. Don't aim for average, aim to be the best".

One of the comments I read on here is that the college is in an industrial area and it's true that it's not visually attractive but trust me when I say that the area can provide many clients for you as many of the workers are without benefits and there are a lot of low income families in the surrounding areas.

If anyone has any questions about the clinic, workload, instructors or anything about TCDHA, feel free to ask because I wish I knew what I was getting into by getting into this profession and before going to TCDHA.

Also, I would highly recommended not going to Yorkville College regardless of what you've been told. I went there for 3 weeks, 1 year before I started at TCDHA and it was a nightmare. The instructors weren't supportive, the
co-ordinater is uninformed and the school is never going to be accreditated (if things don't change). A couple of my friends that decided to stay graduated in December 2007 so I am well aware of what is still going on at that college.

If you have any questions about TCDHA or Yorkville feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Bleeding unhealing wounds in Toronto, Ontario said: Toronto College is the worst, they treat student with no respect at all very inhuman. The instructors will yell at you in front of your clients. They prepare false documentations against the students and make them sign it.What just because its an accredited college it does not mean they can do what they want.We should rise up and protest to this all of us. We are not here to pay $36000 fees and get humiliated. It yucks. Regency is the best dental hygiene school trust me guys.

I'm currently a student at the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxillaries that is set to graduate this summer. I really believe I attend one of the best hygiene schools in Ontario. At first some of the instructors seemed unsympathetic to our situations (being away from home, not having time for ourselves, being heavily in debt) but by the end of the 1st semester it was pretty clear that the faculty were being hard on us and at the same time supporting us so that we worked harder. One of our instructors said to us one day "do you know what average means? It means the best of the crap. Don't aim for average, aim to be the best".

One of the comments I read on here is that the college is in an industrial area and it's true that it's not visually attractive but trust me when I say that the area can provide many clients for you as many of the workers are without benefits and there are a lot of low income families in the surrounding areas.

If anyone has any questions about the clinic, workload, instructors or anything about TCDHA, feel free to ask because I wish I knew what I was getting into by getting into this profession and before going to TCDHA.

Also, I would highly recommended not going to Yorkville College regardless of what you've been told. I went there for 3 weeks, 1 year before I started at TCDHA and it was a nightmare. The instructors weren't supportive, the
co-ordinater is uninformed and the s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Sorry, part of my comment got erased.

The instructors weren't supportive, the
co-ordinater is uninformed and the school is never going to be accreditated (if things don't change). A couple of my friends that decided to stay graduated in December 2007 so I am well aware of what is still going on at that college.

If you have any questions about TCDHA or Yorkville feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pathfinder in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

again this sounds as though u r a employee of TCDHA. I MYSELF HAVE EXPERIENCED ALL THIS THERE . so what so ever is ur explination please do no mislead students . not just me my other friends toooooooo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Hey Dhstudent!

Your comment on TCDHA really was very helpful for me, i was curious i am from alberta going here this august, what is the residency like? And is infection control as bad as what these people are saying?

76 months ago

In regards to CBC losing eligibility...they lost their status because they didn't comply to the changes they were supposed to make for the accreditation in time. Apparently there was a lot of miscommunication between the school and the board...who knows, that's what they told me when I was there.

76 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

I think that Regency is a really great school. I am currently attending it.

pathfinder in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

the best of best is George Brown College.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.