colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 3241)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

help please in Edmonton, Alberta

99 months ago

can someone give me some information about regency? I went to the interview and they seem like a really strict school. i hear people say its a good school but how so?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario

99 months ago

Regency is one of the best schools out there, much better than Toronto college of dental hygiene and auxiliaries, one of my friends went there she hated it said they <Edited by Host Libelous Comment Removed> and very rude didn't care in anyone graduated they wanted money!

I went to Regency, i loved it!
yes they are very strict, you must attend all of your classes if you miss 3 classes you are likly to get kicked out. But it's better that way, you want to go there and learn and study harder.
Clinic isn't so bad, they are strict like any other school. Excellent infection control, beautiful chairs. I would highly recommend you go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

=) in Scarborough, Ontario

99 months ago

How about Durham College in Oshawa????

question in Toronto, Ontario

99 months ago

Scarborough, Durham College is better then any private school.

All of the community colleges are better then any private school.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

help please in Edmonton, Alberta

99 months ago

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: Regency is one of the best schools out there, much better than Toronto college of dental hygiene and auxiliaries, one of my friends went there she hated it said they were racist and very rude didn't care in anyone graduated they wanted money!

I went to Regency, i loved it!
yes they are very strict, you must attend all of your classes if you miss 3 classes you are likly to get kicked out. But it's better that way, you want to go there and learn and study harder.
Clinic isn't so bad, they are strict like any other school. Excellent infection control, beautiful chairs. I would highly recommend you go!

thanks DH. I got accepted into the september intake and im definately going to regency over yorkville. how many students are in your classes ?

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario

99 months ago

You are gonna love regency! Excellent staff

Well we have about 35 girls in our class

s_m_a_r_t_gurl in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

caution in Toronto, Ontario said: did you go to George yonge college to visit?

They lied to a friend of mine telling her they were eligble but they were misleading because CBC was the actual school which is accredited

i juz wanna replied for this comment. I just finished studying here in this college,they are a-o-k though they r small school. Wen i inquired before they never said that, and as far as i know my other classmate were informed from the beginning that the program is not accredited yet.. I guess they are not that dumb to know that they can be charged in misleading people for wrongful information. ur friend should have checked dental hygiene association in toronto first or could have called back to clear whatever her issue in the school are. How can a school be that stupid when they know wats gonna be the cause of that action.??
CBC? they are getting screwd up now, from wat i heard..

caution in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

Actually, the lady <Edited by Host Name Removed> not sure what her name is informed her that they were getting eligibility or are.

This would not be a story I would make up and my friend did tell me this and even told me the location.

Action or not private schools are a business they need students because that brings in the income.

tips in Edmonton, Alberta

98 months ago

DH graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: You are gonna love regency! Excellent staff

Well we have about 35 girls in our class

Ya i was planning to go to yorkville college until I got the acceptance at regency. The stupid thing about yorkville is that they didn't even send me any papers or anything and i had to ask for them myself! Regency, on the other hand is totally more organized becuase they sent me a package and it had all these forms to fill and everything. Im excited but im afraid i wont be able to hand in all those forms like cpr and stuff before the dead line. yikes

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia

98 months ago

help please in Edmonton, Alberta said: thanks DH. I got accepted into the september intake and im definately going to regency over yorkville. how many students are in your classes ?

I am going to Regency for the entrance exam, interview, and tour on June 9th and hopefully I will be accepted for the September 2008 intake!!

Just a few Q's for you if you don't mind:

1. Would you say a deep thorough review is required for the exam? And from a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would you rate it?

2. What are some tips you can give me in regards to the whole interview process?

I'm flying in from Vancouver to Toronto just to do the exam. I'll be in TO for less than 12 hours LOL

Maybe I'll see you in Sept!! Thanks for any feedback you can provide me with!! =)

Confused in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

Can any one tell me about George Yonge?
I know CBC is pretty messed up but what about George Yonge. Is that a good school?

helper in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

Confused in Toronto, Ontario said: Can any one tell me about George Yonge?
I know CBC is pretty messed up but what about George Yonge. Is that a good school?

well it is better than CBC.

98 months ago

better in which way "helper"?

98 months ago

Confused in Toronto, Ontario said: better in which way "helper"?

cheap and good no stress friendly atmosphere

helper aid in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

2 hours ago
Can any one tell me about George Yonge?

Why not visit the school and judge for yourself? Before you decide on any school visit them and gather information they provide you. Make a list and visit and see which one is best suited for you.

Beautiful day in Mississauga, Ontario

98 months ago

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I am going to Regency for the entrance exam, interview, and tour on June 9th and hopefully I will be accepted for the September 2008 intake!!

1. Would you say a deep thorough review is required for the exam? And from a scale of 1 - 10 how hard would you rate it?

2. What are some tips you can give me in regards to the whole interview process?

I'm flying in from Vancouver to Toronto just to do the exam. I'll be in TO for less than 12 hours LOL

Maybe I'll see you in Sept!! Thanks for any feedback you can provide me with!! =)

I am starting Regency in September. I can tell you honestly not to go crazy about the exam. It is very basic and the interview isn't too stressful. For the science section just study the basics, there are more problems you have to solve w/ graphs then "conceptual questions" Math is very easy. There is some critical thinking but its not like you can really study for that. I wish you luck! I really love the school a lot and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I was freaking out before the exam too.

Su in Edmonton, Alberta

98 months ago

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I am going to Regency for the entrance exam, interview, and tour on June 9th and hopefully I will be accepted for the September 2008 intake!!

To be honest with you, i thought the exam was not as easy as i thought it would be. I studied my bio and chem stuff but if you fail that portion, i think your allowed to retake it. i thought the deadline was april for the sep intake. Guess not=] The interview part was kind of tough becuase she was li,e, why did you get this low in this mark, blah blah blah. But overall, it shows that they are a really tough and strict, yet good and organized school. But overall, as long as you do your researh about regency (like its accredited, and stuff) you should be fine. It wont be too bad. GOOD LUCK! hope to see yo soon

Su in Edmonton, Alberta

98 months ago

Also, i applied to 4 different schools and went to all of them to take a look myself, and i can hoenstly say that regency is the best one out them all. They are larger and way way more organized.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill DH in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

I am a Dental Hygienist from John Abbott College in Montreal. It's a 3 year program. Restorative is part of it. John Abbott College is supposed to be just like George Brown College in Toronto. From what I heard about schools, be careful + do your research before giving a private school your money. They must be accredited or it will be difficult to get a license as the CDHO must verify the curriculum + you must take a nerve wracking practical test that students in accredited colleges don't have to. Also supposedly it is much easier to get into a private school + the curriculum is easier than the colleges, so you may not be as prepared. Some dentists do care about which school you graduated from.My info may be wrong but it is coming from other people who looked into private schools.

98 months ago

Yorkville Graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: I would just like to say that I recently graduated from Yorkville College in Toronto. In regards to going to a private school, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I arrived at school with 15yrs of dental assisting background and never a day went by that I did not learn something new. I am very proud to say that I graduated from a school that cares for its students and does everything that they can to help you out. I would be lying if I said that the curriculum was easy, as it was very challenging. I am so prepared for the NDHCB that I have not a fear in my head. We have chose this profession and want a challenge, if your not up for it go into hair dressing. The responsibilities that go along with this profession encompass much than what your paycheck reads at the end of the month.
I am actually tired of hearing people say that they do not want to go to a private school, and a nonaccredited one at that. In the end, you have to be tested by your peers in a clinical exam. Upon passing you will have proven that you are more than capable to become a Registered dental hygienist. On the other hand accredited program graduates do not have to go through this and hmmmm they are not truly tested by anyone. WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR ORAL HEALTH AND OVERALL WELLNESS.
To make a long story short you have to choose the best school that suits your needs in respect too, finances, location etc.
I actually came all the way from BC for this great experience and will gladly state that I graduated from YORKVILLE COLLEGE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES.

I do disagree with you about the practical exam being a better indicator of how well you'll do as a dental hygienist. I know several people who failed because they were extremely nervous who are excellent hygienists today. I graduated from an accredited school, did not have to take the practical exam, had 3 yrs of clinical school based training

98 months ago

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario said: Good for you. I hope you have learned a lot from us. By the way, what is your status regarding board exam, clinical exam, and DH registration in BC?

I got cut off before. In my accredited school I was judged by my peers, teachers who are all dental hygienists with many yrs experience and dentists who worked at our school's clinic, for the entire 3 yrs of my program. During this time we had many many practical exams. This is a much better assessment of your skills than the practical exam done by the students from non-accredited schools as this is the only way the CDHO can give you a license after reviewing the entire school's curriculum. If the practical exam was seen as such a valuable tool, then all the students from the accredited schools would still have to do it.

Confused in Brampton, Ontario

98 months ago

I disagree with you Jill. I have gradutaed from an accredited school and i had wished that all schools would have to do the practical exam. Reason being that even accredited schools are easy to get in, if you have the $$ to cough up they will let you in, yes you have to have good marks but not amazing ones. I knew of one girl who got into my school and she didn't even finish highschool. And my school has been accredited for 3 yrs

Alot of girls from my school that graduated were horrible in clinic they were "book smart" instructors let them pass even if they were lacking a few credits, yes we also had practical exams some girls failed 5x and passed on the 6th, and now they cannot find decent jobs, not because there aren't any but because they are being called for temp jobs but don't get called back! I wonder why!
I know alot of my friends would not want to go get their teeth cleaned knowing that girls either cheated their way through theory and clinic, knowing a girl that passed their "clinical exam" would make them more comfortable!
I know alot of people in different careers that had to do practical exams
Doing a practical exam also you to feel more confident that you are going out in the workforce passing a practical exam that is supposed to be "hard" and that will judge you on your hygiene skills.

dental in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

Actually, confused Jill is right if you graduate from an accredited school their is a certain standard that is met.

I think you are being mislead a private school education unfortunately, can not compare to a community college and Jill finished in Montreal where the standards are high just like GBC.

98 months ago

confused I am not saying you are wrong you may do very well.

I have seen some people finish hygiene in private schools also who I know for a fact will not do well.

The only reason they pass is because of connections and so forth.

98 months ago

I guess it all depends on the school. John Abbott College is an accredited school in Montreal and has been for over 30 years. All tuition in Colleges in Montreal is free if you were born and reside in Quebec, you just have to pay for books/instruments. This differs from Quebec Universities whose tuition is not free. It is very difficult to get into John Abbott College if your marks are less than 85% in each of the prerequisite courses!! My marks were mid-late 90's for the college level chemistry, physics, + high school functions/trig. Even with high marks, it was a very difficult + demanding program like I am sure other schools are. Over 600 students applied + only 32 were accepted. We started with 32 + graduated 15. I felt very prepared to start working once I graduated except for the fact that a cleaning in school took 2 1/2 hours + in real life 40 min to 1 hour. Because there is no incentive to pass students who don't deserve it or to enroll students into the program who may not be able to handle the program, my school can be very selective in accepting students.

jjj in Mississauga, Ontario

98 months ago

I am currently attending CADH in Mississauga, I am in my third and final semester. I cannot compare my level of education to any public college (which obviously, was my first choice) however, I know that our program was not easy at all. Accredited private schools still have to follow the materials put forth by the Canadian Dental Hygiene Association, so in my school there was no "buying your way through" or "connections". As well, I payed by semester, so it wasn't about the money. Because if I failed level one, I would not be commencing to level two, which means that the school would be out the money from me for the remaining two semesters. Teachers were hard, and set out in stone from day one just how serious the program is. Out of 34 girls, 22 graduated. This is completely normal, because not everyone is going to be good at hygiene, or study enough to complete what the program requires. We had a couple of girls drop out, some decide they didn't want to do hygiene and some who didn't like the school. From day one, we always had a few "whiners" who couldn't live up and do the work and listen to what they were being told. Now they're gone. But as far as myself, I did the work (a lot) and listened and was respectful and I am graduating in a few months.

98 months ago

Congratulations!

98 months ago

i do agree with you that community colleges are better than private schools.
I however was talking about the clinical exam.
I do find that it is a good idea to have! I think all schools regardless of them being accredited or a community college have their students take them!

98 months ago

Everyday in our clinic we were graded each day on a whole bunch of clinical criteria. Every couple of weeks we had a clinical exam that tested us on new skills learned. This exam was a mandatory pass or 5% was deducted from your final mark. I know this isn't the same as the clinical exam once graduated, but lucky for me we only had the national board exam as I think nerves alone would have affected me during a clinical exam despite 3 years of intense training at school.

Confused in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

98 months ago

This is a question for those who are attending CADH. I will be writing my entrance exam in 2 weeks, and I heard that there is a book that is available through Chapters that helps you study for the exam. If so, could someone provide me with the name and also what to expect from the exam.

Thanks a lot

98 months ago

Honestly you don't need to buy a book from chapters to study. But if u do what it is called DAT just got to a chapters and ask them for the DAT book, some girls use it to study for the dental assistant test
Just study basic stuff like biology, chem. It's pretty easy you should be fine! Good Luck

graduate in Williams Lake, British Columbia

98 months ago

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about KENT College. I have a friend considering going and was just curious if there is any bad/good information about the school
Thanks

Maryam in New Westminster, British Columbia

98 months ago

How many patients do you need to work on in order to graduate from CADH? Does the college provide resources for students to find patients? What is the total tuition fee plus supplies end up to be in CADH?

Is the DH program a lot easier if you are already a dental assistant?

luckybones in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

Holly Kay in Markham, Ontario said: I would highly suggest seeing the school before signing up. (especially this one-I was not impressed at all) zero infection control!!!

I am a graduate from the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries and although I would not recommend this school to other prospective students, it is only due to the horrifyingly abusive way in which the students are treated. The school does an outstanding job teaching (mind you-not the process of teaching, just the outcome of what is learned) and have EXTREMELY STRICT infection control standards. In no way are they lacking credibility as a respectable educational facility, including all aspects of theory and practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Thornhill, Ontario

98 months ago

How do they treat the students? What do they do to them?

98 months ago

I'm 1 week away from taking my entrance exam at Regency. I have not been able to do much prep studying since I have a full time job.

I really hope that despite this set back that I will get in based on the fact that I'm a hard working person who is fully ready and capable of dedicating the next 18 months to hygiene studies.

wish me luck guys... I really hope to see you in September =)

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

I think you will do fine on the test. It's not too hard...the challenging stuff are things you can't study for.

Also, I think that overall, they are looking for mature students who can afford to go to the school, and are dedicated.
You will do fine!

98 months ago

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario said: I think you will do fine on the test. It's not too hard...the challenging stuff are things you can't study for.

Also, I think that overall, they are looking for mature students who can afford to go to the school, and are dedicated.
You will do fine!

Thanks T-Ram! BTW, how long did you take to complete the entrance exam? I know they give you 3 hours, but did you come anywhere close to using up all 3 hours?

loving the weather in Mississauga, Ontario

98 months ago

Jytong in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Thanks T-Ram! BTW, how long did you take to complete the entrance exam? I know they give you 3 hours, but did you come anywhere close to using up all 3 hours?

The test is pretty simple, especially the Math.. The science I wouldn't waste my time studying all about cells and all that crazy stuff..its more like reading from graphs and stuff like that. I found it to be not fair honestly because I studied everything from physiology, anatomy, cell resp. to plant anatomy (maybe Plant Anatomy was useful!) You take the test on your interview and tell you sit in a room to take it. You are given three hours but I finished in two. You will not need three hours. I would say the hardest of all the sections was the stuff you really cant study for like trying to figure out patterns.
I will be most likely attending Regency this Fall so hopefully I'll see you there. Personally I believe the school is excellent and you will realize that when you go for your interview.

Feel free to ask me any other ?

T-Ram in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

yeah, I agree with the other girl. I didn't use the whole three hours...I think I used a little over 2. I think you need to know meiosis and mitosis, and some plant stuff. That's it...the other stuff you can't really study for...the math is simple. fractions and stuff.

Enjoy. Regency is a good school

Lindsey in Edmonton, Alberta

98 months ago

Hi I am accepted into the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxillaries starting in January. Can you tell me if it is accredited and if I am making the right decision by going to this school I am feeling a little confused after reading these comments. Also does anyone know anything about APLUS Institute please let me know.

98 months ago

Lindsay, APlus is a really good school both are accredited.

Lindsey in Edmonton, Alberta

98 months ago

Did you go to Aplus? I got accepted into both Aplus and Toronto and I am finding it difficult to make a decision.

Fay in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

98 months ago

Did you do a google search on this?

much regards,
David
www.travellinesexpress.com

98 months ago

Aplus goes WITHOUT saying
Best OF luck

Katelyn in Edmonton, AB.

98 months ago

Hi I recently got accepted into Toronto College of DH and also APlus Institute. What school would be a better choice? Because as for Toronto College of DH, I am getting mixed reviews on it...I hope I don't make the wrong decision if I am going that far...

98 months ago

Katelyn in Edmonton, AB. said: Hi I recently got accepted into Toronto College of DH and also APlus Institute. What school would be a better choice? Because as for Toronto College of DH, I am getting mixed reviews on it...I hope I don't make the wrong decision if I am going that far...

do not go to toronto college please .APLUS IS BEST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

helper is right.

APLUS is a well known school. Read some of the past posts on toronto college.

polly in Oshawa, Ontario

98 months ago

Hi ... there are too many hygienists in Ontario. The community colleges do research to find out how many hygienists a community needs. With the community colleges graduating those hygienists and the private schools sending them out too ... there are TOO MANY OF US. It will eventually drive our wages down. I'm sure that SOME of the private schools are good places to get the skills and knowledge, but we just don't need 2500 new dental hygienist in Ontario every year. The government subsidizes community colleges and provides OSAP to those students that go to them because they also know how many health care providers the province needs. Please try to get into a community college. It might take a lot of work and patience ... but as a previous commenter stated ... private practices hiring a new graduate will 8/10 hire a community college grad if given the choice.
p.s. anyone know of any areas in Ontario that have a need for hygiene?

friend in Toronto, Ontario

98 months ago

All you people that are bashing ANY of the schools, both private or public, sound as though you have not been able to handle the tough curriculum, failed out, so can do nothing but complain about it! All the programs have their issues,both good and bad, and all DH Programs (accredited and non) must be registerred with the Ministry of Education, so they can be that bad! I would suggest that if you are interrested in going to one of the colleges for the DH program- do your research! Ask a lot of questions and when you go for your interview ask current students what their experiece was like as a student. I think that would give you a much truer picture of what is going on than listening to any of these comments listed on this blog.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.