dental hygenist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1008)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

elena in Brooklyn, New York

99 months ago

hey guys, can anyone tell me what colleges can i apply to for dh, i live in brooklyn,ny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (135) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

chandra in Port Washington, New York

99 months ago

Hi,
I live in longisland, what colleges can apply for dental hygienists? what is the base pay for dh?how is the job outlook?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (150) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Ivonne

99 months ago

Hostos community college, Bronx, NY
New York Tech Brooklyn, NY
Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

99 months ago

don't become a dental hygienist...very tough to find jobs...trust me on this one....you will develop back problems..shoulder problems..and wrist problem....it might sound like i'm being harsh but it is the truth...i tell it like it is....do yourself a favor ..go into other field...much luck............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

elizabeth in Washington, District of Columbia

99 months ago

ibflossing in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: don't become a dental hygienist...very tough to find jobs...trust me on this one....you will develop back problems..shoulder problems..and wrist problem....it might sound like i'm being harsh but it is the truth...i tell it like it is....do yourself a favor ..go into other field...much luck............

Hey girl are you doing Dental Hygiene just wondering because I was really interested in getting into the field because it pays really well I have heard about the long term affects like you said the wrist problems and all that but I have had cruddy jobs my whole life and som ething tells me to change and go after a job that appreciates me why are you being pessimisitic about Dental Hygiene?? you are not the only one I would like to get your full insight on this career before I even think about persuing it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

I am sorry what colleges once again in long island you can apply for dental hygienist, and besides long island?
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

River

99 months ago

I have read every ones comments about the down sides of practicing Dental Hygienist. I want to know why it is difficult to find fulltime work in this profession and if all jobs within this field pay hourly? weather clients cancel or not? Thanks and I look forward toward a response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

River

99 months ago

between HOstos and New york Tech college which of the two is a better college to attend for dental Hygienist? and how many total credits are each college in order to recieve AA Degree? Also, do employeers hire you by which college you graduated from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

kwame in Brooklyn, New York

98 months ago

elena in Brooklyn, New York said: hey guys, can anyone tell me what colleges can i apply to for dh, i live in brooklyn,ny

You can apply to NYU College of Dentistry it is an two year program and you get a job fast by being an NYU alumni

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Connersville, Indiana

98 months ago

You can apply to University of Bridgeport in CT if you are up for the drive every morning (I a know a few people who have done it) The city is rundown and the two years will drive you crazy with endless amounts of work,finding patients(your pretty much on your own for that), stress....but I think most schools are the same in that regard...also I just graduated from UB this May and we had more than 8 students recieve a perfect score of 100 on NERB and everyone else passes with about an 85%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pround dental assistant in Ozone Park, New York

97 months ago

elena in Brooklyn, New York said: hey guys, can anyone tell me what colleges can i apply to for dh, i live in brooklyn,ny

Hey, I am attending NYU in the fall for Dental Hygiene.. don't listen to those florida people who are talking smack about pay and body pains.. NY pays hygienists very, very well.. i've been a dental assistant for a looong time and believe me, my friends who are hygienists love it and have very comfortable lives so pursue your goals!! Yes, your back can stay sore if u don't practice good back posture and that is in any field, including nursing or desk jobs.. and on your time off you need to relax your hands because they can also become sore from alot of work, also like nursing, computer desk jobs, even doctors and surgeons.. So go do your thing.. if u like brooklyn, NY tech has a good program but it is very competative..farmingdale is also good but again competative and far out in long island.. NYU has a good reputation, but very expensive.. so weigh out the options..good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kenia in Biloxi, Mississippi

97 months ago

I attended New York City College of Technology (City Tech) in 99. SUNY Farmingdale in L.I. Hostos Community College in the Bronx. That's pretty much it unless you want to go to CT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

96 months ago

I was thinking about applying for dental hygiene school, but would like some views on the real bad part about being a dental hygienist. For instance do you get a lot of people with really bad yuck mouths (lack of better words, i'm sorry) or do they get that fixed from the dentist before dental hygienist do full cleaning. I like the idea of cleaning teeth and teaching people how to take care of their teeth, but I don't know if someone that comes in with most teeth loose and rotted out will make me ill. I know there will be some bad mouths just wondering how bad does it really get.

thank you for any replies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

elena in Staten Island, New York

96 months ago

hey, listen every profession has its own plus and minuses,
if you are disgusted with stuff like that then its better for you not to go into this kind of field, or any medical field, you probably need to go into business or something like that
you think doctors never cleaned poop?
but you can always wear mask...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

william w in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

Hello right now i'm in school to be a dental hygienists in philadelphia, im 19 years old and i have a year left before i graduate,I'm starting to wonder; is it hard to find jobs as a dental hygienists stright out college or soon after you graduate (with no work experiance at all)? and i know that It's hard to find full time jobs as a dental hygienist with bennifts, and that a person with 20 years experiance makes around the same amount as a person with 2 years experiance, so i want to go back to school right after i graduate (PART TIME) to be a Genneral Dentist, while working (FULL TIME) as a dental hygienist. DO ANY ONE THINK THAT IS A DUMB IDEA? IF SO WHY?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

no its not, its never too late
what college do you go to?
is this programm hard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

william w in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

elena in Brooklyn, New York said: no its not, its never too late
what college do you go to?
is this programm hard?

I'm in the Dental Hygiene program at the Community College of Philadelphia, The curriculum is very hard and time consunmming but it's only two years and you when you graduate you are eligible to take the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination,and when you pass it you can work. Most dental hygienist in philly start out makeing about 33$ an hour; so i've been told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in Staten Island, New York

95 months ago

i attended new york tech in brooklyn. graduated years ago.. i love being a hygienist. i work part time. although now i cant find a job for part time hours that work with my schedule.. the other girl is right.. dont listen to others.. hygienists in new york city get paid well.. along with benefits and sometimes extra bonus', depending on where you work.. im in staten island and when i was working i wasnt being paid bad.
new york tech is one of the b best schools.. when i was there we had students from nyu come to our school to take the boards cause they failed and they said our school was much better... yes its tougher.. but thats why its one of the best.. you slack in that program. you get kicked out. plain and simple..
i worked my ass off and graduated in the top ten of my class..
its worth it in my opinion.. if you are thinking of family down the line. then its perfect.. although now like i said im having a hard time finding a damm job. but i guess all things happen in time.. so we will see..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Yanna in Brooklyn, New York

95 months ago

I'm 30yrs old, single mom and in my first semester at Medgar Evers college in brooklyn,Ny with a major in Nursing. its very competitive and I was thinking of going for the dental hygienist associates degree starting next semester at City Tech. Its sounds like a fun job and I would suit it. My question is, HOW COMPETITIVE IS IT? I guess any program that is short and financially lucrative is gonna be hard to get into. For example; Most CUNY nursing programs have 25-60 openings with about 300 applicants each. Hence, the mandatory gpa of 2.7 or higher requirement etc., and that still doesnt guarantee admittance into the program! Is it like that for DH program at city tech as well?? Should I just stick with this impossible nursing program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

hey..you aer right.. the gpa is a major factor in tech.. i had a 3.8 i believe when i applied.. and i think they take around 50 students.. but by the time i graduated we only had 30 the rest had failed out.. its tough there.. but the best in new york i believe.. anyways.. if you have a high gpa/.. then your in.. you shouldnt have a problem.. but if its not that high.. low 3's then you may be up against alot of other students.. if i were you i would stick with the nursing.. to be honest i wanted to do that as well.. i got accepted into the nursing program at tech, but passed it up and went for hygiene.. now i can find a part time job. pay is good as you know.. but nursing has more options.. i chose this field cause i had a 6 month old boy at the time while i went to school.. and they had the babysitting program there as well.. thats the only way i was able to go as the schedule was insane.. hours.. etc.. i wish i went with nursing thast all im saying.. being a single mom you have to follow your gut.. hygiene is great. but limited.. nursing has more options. that would be my choice.. hope i didnt confuse you any more..lol.. melissa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yanna in Brooklyn, New York

95 months ago

thanks Melissa! that was very helpful. I think I will stick with Nursing. I'm going to be a military wife soon so I guess I'd better pick a profession that travels well...thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lita in brooklyn, NY in Brooklyn, New York

95 months ago

hey im 24, and a dental assistant, but i want to further my carrer in dental hygiene. I was thinkin about 2 skool that i want to attend but i havent mad up my mind yet. The schools are NYU, and City Tech. Can you please help me out, i would really appericate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing in Hollywood, Florida

95 months ago

Hi, yes I do agree with the previous person that nurses has more options. From personal experience, I'm working at 3 different offices, one day a week at each office. The pay is good, yes, that I can't lie. However, I don't get any benefit because I'm not full time worker. It's difficult to find full time work at one office. Trust me, I know people who has been in this business for many years and most work at 2 or more offices. With nursing, you can prett
much go anywhere in the US and not have to worry about whether you'll get hire or not because they are in great demand.

Dental hygiene positions are hard to find in the newspaper, try looking at it , you 'll see what I'm talking about , but with nursing, there's always something in the classify plus sign on bonuses. One of my associate is a nurse, she graduated last year making @26.oo an hour not including bonuses. And now, guess how much she makes? $28.oo yes, u got it 2 dollar raise within a year and a half. You do the math.

I live in FL, and there will be new law (it's in the making) they will allow dental assistant to scale. Yes, you read it correctly, scale. My intuition is telling me that in the coming future, dental hygiene will be gone in the state of FL. Alabama does not have hygiene program anywhere in that state.

Well, what ever you decided to do. I wish you the best. All I know is that I'm trying to get out. Much luck on your endeavor.Any more questions...just post I'll be more than glad to answer it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing in Hollywood, Florida

95 months ago

hi, please read my previous reply. my screen name is IBFLOSSING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

thats easy in my opinion.. city tech is ten times better and nyu is twice as expensive.. at tech we had students from nyu come and tell us that our program was so much better and that they wish they went to our school instead.. Plus alot of them failed at nyu and came to us to retake there boards.. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

katy in Tampa, Florida

94 months ago

Im currently a respiratory therapist but Im enterested in dental hygene. could someone pleast give me the pros and cons and what the starting pay is in florida. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in miami, Florida

94 months ago

HI,

Good side: flexible hours (lots of cancellations, hard to get 35 hours or above), money (so,so)

Bad side: neck,shoulder,wrist problems, in the real world it's like this..push,push, push more production = more money ...for whom..well, you guess it...have you thought about being a pharmacist, pharm.tech, nurse, nurse practitioner, nurse anest. much luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Salt Lake City, Utah

94 months ago

these past few months i've been contemplating on changing my major from nursing to dental hygenist. Cuase things have been very stressful physically and emotionally with my job right now as a CNA. But I was wondering if its the best to change... is it worth it? do the pros outweigh the cons or is it the other way around? for those who have been in the field to you enjoy it or regret going in to that field? is it difficult to find a jobs? please if any one can I would love to hear what you have to say... should I change my major???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

To Tiffany,

Yes, working as a CNA is hard on the body. I have a friend who is an RN. She was a CNA then LPN and now she is working as an RN and loving it. She's a traveling nurse on an assignment in California. Her home is in North Carolina. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, you will now go wrong being a nurse , that is an RN. Jobs anywhere in the U.S. with sign on bonus, with benefits. That is what an RN gets. THAT IS NOT WHAT DENTAL HYGIENIST GETS. I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THE REAL FACTS 3 THREE YEARS AGO.

It's very different in the dental field. IT'S VERY HARD TO FIND A FULL TIME JOB, PERIOD. And if you do , you'll be working 2 days in one office, 1 day in another, and 2 days in another office. That is if you are lucky to get full time hours. I know quite a number of people who will be leaving the hygienist busniess very soon, they are going back to college. I'm not trying to discourage you nor am I trying to sugar coat the fact that it's TOUGH being a dental hygienist. IT'S LABOR INTENSIVE and most (not all) dentist thinks that they are overpaying us.

Here's the math part. I see 8 or 9 patients a day , I produce about 1800-2000 a day (that's only in one day) for the dentist. In return he pays me 225 a day and yet, they are complaining about how over paid we are. Most dentist , yes, most and not all, are trying to phase hygienist out, period. These are cold hard facts. It hurt me to know that, but that' s reality.

All I know is I'll probably be in the dental field for a few more years than will move on to something else. I just can't afford to go back to school right now. I was working 3 days now i'm down to one day and I'm starving.

Please think 3 times before you join hygiene school. AGAIN, I'M NOT SAYING THAT GOOD DDS(DENTIST) ARE HARD TO FIND , BUT IT'S LIKE FINDING A NEEDLE IN A HAY SACK. ONLY 2-3 OFFICES ARE HIRING OUT OF 100 OFFICES. Now, about 10 years ago, this was a golden job. But now, times are different, people struggle w

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

To Tiffany and all who are interest in dental hygiene: (please read my previous mail by Cavitron)

working 2 - 3 jobs to make ends meet. With that said, getting their teeth clean and taking care of their gum-bone tissue is the last thing on their mind. People have to feed their family first.

We get cancellation all the time. if your spouse earn very good income. There's no way a hygienist can survive working 2-3 days by herself\himself. But if you have a rich husband, and you just want to work 1- 2 days then hygiene is yours. If not, well , reconsider.

I like dental hygiene, but I can't live like this.

Much luck to all and me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Salt Lake City, Utah

94 months ago

to cavitron
thank you so much for taking time out of your day to answering my question. and for responding so soon! ... I really appreciate it!!! Thank you! I was getting ready for registering for classes and wasn't really sure what to do...but you told me all that I needed to know! thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nicole aiello Dental asst RDH student in West Palm Beach, Florida

94 months ago

i love the hygiene program it is VERY HARD but what concerns me the most is dental asst allowed to scale teeth this is crazy and shouldnt even be considered after all we spend alot of time trying to get thru hygiene school. they need to stop this now! people need to speak out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in Hollywood, Florida

93 months ago

NICOLE,

JOIN the team and get involve. ADHA and FDHA ( Florida Dental Hygiene Association ) and please, please pay your dues ( if you haven't already). They really need the money to make things run smoother and to protect our profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

olivia in Morganton, North Carolina

93 months ago

Now that you have heard about FL and MAs proposals for letting DAs scale, add another one, PA!

Here is the website:
www.padentalassistants.org/5.html

Please everyone get involved. Whether we are hygienists or not, this is completely outrageous! This is not in the public's best interest by no means. Could you really imagine what a mess all of this would be. After 2 yrs of hygiene school, I still graduated wondering if I knew how to scale. How are they going to learn?
And who are they going to treat if they can ONLY scale ABOVE THE GUMLINE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Niki

93 months ago

NYC College of Technology on Jay St. in Downtown Brooklyn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy in London, United Kingdom

93 months ago

Hi people, Have you heard of a dental Therapist, do u have them there in the US? I was wondering if anyone could help me with my dental hygiene/therapist interview. Is there any key answers they are looking for or anything i should mention to show my enthusiam. It sound like dental hygiene is not the way over there in the states, is this so? Here in London the pay is very good, plus therapist can do fillings and extractions. What do U.S hygienist do? Thank you for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DH2009 in Holmdel, New Jersey

91 months ago

ibflossing in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: don't become a dental hygienist...very tough to find jobs...trust me on this one....you will develop back problems..shoulder problems..and wrist problem....it might sound like i'm being harsh but it is the truth...i tell it like it is....do yourself a favor ..go into other field...much luck............

Not true at all! Hygienists are in high demand! Pay and schedule are excellent! you develop the problems when you dont use correct body positioning!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing1 in hollywood, Florida

91 months ago

MOST DENTIST ARE INTIMIDATED BY US. STAY IN LONDON. RDH IN THE U.S CAN ONLY CLEAN , X-RAY AND DO PAT.EDUCATION. ONLY A HANDFUL OF STATES WHERE RDH CAN DO FILLING AND EXTRACTION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

morris

91 months ago

ibflossing1 in hollywood, Florida said: Hygienists are not in high demand in the state of Florida, South Carolina , North Carolina, Michican, etc. Pay is okay, schedule is only excellent if you have a rich husband who can help carry the financial weight. So, no schedule is not excellent. Most dentists don't offer insurance , pension and etc. If you think that 's it's excellent then that's good for you , but I disagree with you. THE TRUE FACTS IS RDH IS NOT IN DEMAND. Check out other thread and blogs and find out for yourself. I don't sugar coat the truth. I'll tell you what's in demand, respiratory thearapist, nursing, phsical thearapist, lpn, cna. Those are high demand positions. AND THAT'S A FACT!

in new york hygienist are come to new york

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

morris

91 months ago

in new york dh r in demand so if you from florida maybe should consider relocating to new york

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in New Haven, Connecticut

91 months ago

University of New Haven- CT.... #1
tunxis community college- farmington CT
University of Bridgeport- CT

Eri in New York, New York

91 months ago

Hi I'm Japanese girl who is working dental office for 5 years as a dental assistant. I have a license in Japan But I don't have here.... Now I'm thinking to become a DH in US. Do anybody know if someone has a license in other country and start becoming DH study, you can skip any class or something??
Sorry my bad English and I hope somebody response me.

And I love DH job. Of cause it makes my shoulder sore but it's still OK. You will have a lot of fun with your patients in this job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ibflossing1 in hollywood, Florida

91 months ago

think very throughly about your decision before you jump.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Eri in New York, New York

91 months ago

Thank you for giving me a advice. that's right. if i chose this way, I need a big big decision.
Everyday thinking about it...

So how much does it cost for a school generally?
For ex, NYC College of Technology in brooklyn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

well. im talking about 7 and a half years ago.. but when i went.. counting uniforms.. books.. tuition.. instruments.. etc.. i would say it roughly cost me 10 grand for the whole program through the years.. a two year.. chaper then nyu big time.. and better.. lol..instruments alone can run you a few hundred.. they make yu get two sets.. you keep them though.. hope this helps..

ANA SOUZA in Clearwater, Florida

91 months ago

IS ANYBODY SELLING DENTAL HYGIENE DECKS?? I WOULD LIKE TO BUY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lany in Arlington, Virginia

91 months ago

just wondering do yo have to take dental assistant before you can take DH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

trszkity in Wilmington, Vermont

90 months ago

DO YOU NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL TO BECOME A DENTIST ASSISTANT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

genie41177 in Bohemia, New York

90 months ago

Does anyone know if there are any schools on Long Island that offer DH programs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

genie41177 in Bohemia, New York said: Does anyone know if there are any schools on Long Island that offer DH programs?

Farmingdale. But I just got into nyu program try there deadline is April 21. Very very nice school it costs those $

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.