dental hygienist jobs in new zealand

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 99 of 99)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Amanda in Saint Paul, Minnesota

65 months ago

I am very interested in moving to NZ to practice dental hygiene and wondering if it is worth it to hire a company to help me with all of the paper work, licensing, visa etc headaches. Is it worth it or can i do it on my own?? Also i have heard contradicting things as far as pay vs. cost of living, also how easy it is to even find a dh job there? any advie? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Albuquerque, New Mexico

65 months ago

magann in Seattle, Washington said: Hi Jennifer!
No worries!! Yes it is all a bit time consuming and unfort have not done much at the moment as it has been a busy month. I contacted the NZ dental board about the Hep B/C verification and they seem pretty flexible. I went to my local phyicians office and got all the papers which I hope will be good enough. I woman who wrote me was helpful and nice about it.
Did you go to hygiene at Shoreline or Lake Washington Tech?
I am born and raised here but got my training in Ohio. Funny how things work out and where you end up.
Good luck and hope hygiene is keeping you busy. -Maggie :)

Hello magann in Seattle! Sorry for another 'late' reply! I've been changing email addresses and losing things . . . I went to school at LWTC (born and raised in Wa state)which I loved and was very happy with the education I got there. I'm glad to hear the NZ dental board was flexible with the Hep B/C verification. Can't wait to hear how things go for you - I probably won't be embarking on this journey of paperwork, etc for some months yet. :)

rahima in Ottawa, Ontario

65 months ago

hi,i m a new member of this discussion.

rahima in Ottawa, Ontario

65 months ago

hi,
i have 15 months experince as a dental hygienist in canada. would like to apply for registration in NZ. does anybody know many years of experience is needed to become licensed in NZ?
thanks

Tessa S. in Tallahassee, Florida

64 months ago

Hey! I'm about to graduate hygiene school in Florida and I'm really wanting to go to New Zealand by next September. I'm so confused on which visa to get and everything is so overwhelming I dont want to get ripped off by paying all this money and not get the right thing. I only want to be there for a year..Also how do I find out more information on the qualifications and vaccines I need to go over there to work..I'm so lost. HELP PLEASE!

Jennifer in Albuquerque, New Mexico

64 months ago

@magann in Seattle - please email if you have time - would be fun to correspond re: NZ - here is an email you can contact me at (not my normal one - can't put that on here!) jenn2many at msn dot com.

magann in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

Angie!!

Just viewed your post. Yes, please if you do have that email address for that Sydney temp office just for inquiries would be great.
That is great a temp offic will sponsor as I have been finding many will not.
Yeah ortho seems to be used more with hygienists in Aus than the states so I may think about getting familar.
Best of luck with your exams. Much appreciated.
Mags :)

64 months ago

Tessa S. in Tallahassee, Florida said: Hey! I'm about to graduate hygiene school in Florida and I'm really wanting to go to New Zealand by next September. I'm so confused on which visa to get and everything is so overwhelming I dont want to get ripped off by paying all this money and not get the right thing. I only want to be there for a year..Also how do I find out more information on the qualifications and vaccines I need to go over there to work..I'm so lost. HELP PLEASE!

Tessa - I don't have any info on the visa. May have to give immigration a call as I found their website limited with info.
As for getting info for a NZ license go to or google New Zealand Dental Council and search under registration under hygiene for the necessary requirements.
hope that helps.
Mags :)

64 months ago

Jennifer in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: @magann in Seattle - please email if you have time - would be fun to correspond re: NZ - here is an email you can contact me at (not my normal one - can't put that on here!) jenn2many at msn dot com.

Yup okay got it.
M

Lauren in Melbourne, Australia

61 months ago

I am a hygienist/therapist in melbourne australia happy to help anyone who wants advice about here or NZ (practitioners registered here in aus automatically get recognised in NZ)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Hello Lauren.

Thanks so much for offering info. I have been a hygienist for over 7 years practicing in the states. I am trying to get to Oz to work as a dental hygienist and looking for a sponosor. I have called the Denatl Board of Victoria to get verification that once I get my NZ license I may work in Oz as well. Is this true to your findings as well?
I do have a few more questions regarding hygiene in Aus. Would it be ok to email you or would you prefer to answer my questions on the forum??
If you chose to respond by email, mine is : serenitynow85@msn.com
Much appreciated! -Maggie

Lenora in Calgary, Alberta

61 months ago

Hi - I am a newly graduated & registered hygienist and I am having trouble finding a job in Alberta. I was wondering what the job market is like in New Zealand? Is there still a large demand for hygienists? or has this stopped since the collapse of the economy?

Alicia in Toronto, Ontario

60 months ago

Lauren in Melbourne, Australia said: I am a hygienist/therapist in melbourne australia happy to help anyone who wants advice about here or NZ (practitioners registered here in aus automatically get recognised in NZ)

Hey, I was planning to move to Australia or New Zealand but am having a hard time finding out about the exam I need to take in australia. If there is anything you can let me know about how to get qualified/registered in australia it would be appreciated. Would it be easier to work in new zealand and then move?

camilletc in Manila, Philippines

59 months ago

Hello! Iam a registered Dentist in the Philippines and owner of my two Dental offices here in Manila. Coming April I will be visiting family members In Auckland,New Zealand.And Im thinking to apply of any Dental position while in NZ.I have a wide experienced in the Dental practice for 17 years.Is there a possible chance for me to get any Dental jobs?Specifically,a Dental Hygienist job.
Thanks!

Rita in Perth, Australia

59 months ago

Before you apply for a job. you have to get registered. You cant work in NZ or Aus without registration. I am not sure if your qualification from the Philippines is recognized in NZ. if not you will have to set an exam or do a 6 months in the government clinic under supervision.
www.nzda.org.nz/pub/index.php?id=5
this is the link for NZ dental association. I am sure if you contact them they will point you in the right direction.

camilletc in Quezon City, Philippines

59 months ago

Thanks a lot for the info and the link you provided.This is a great help:) God Bless
-Camille-

Mary in Perth, Australia

57 months ago

Rita in Perth, Australia said: Before you apply for a job. you have to get registered. You cant work in NZ or Aus without registration. I am not sure if your qualification from the Philippines is recognized in NZ. if not you will have to set an exam or do a 6 months in the government clinic under supervision.
www.nzda.org.nz/pub/index.php?id=5
this is the link for NZ dental association. I am sure if you contact them they will point you in the right direction.

Hello Rita. I have just moved to Perth from Sydney. I am a hygienist. Are you working yet or still studying? What is the job situation like in Perth and are the wages good. Are you still moving to NZ to work?

Rita in Perth, Australia

57 months ago

HI I am currently working, and not moving to NZ at the moment. There are jobs out there. if u experienced hygienist the wage is about 45 p/h. where abouts do live?

Mary in Perth, Australia

57 months ago

Hi Rita. I'm in Coogee for a couple of months or so. We may move to the country-down south.

Rita in Perth, Australia

57 months ago

Oh u so close, i am down in Rockingham. add me on FB we can chat there - Rita McCabe

Mary in Perth, Australia

57 months ago

Hi Rita. Not on FB yet! Must be the only person not on FB. Think I might do some temp work for a while. Do you know anyone who does that?

Rita in Perth, Australia

57 months ago

yep, Contact Anthea from contact point Dental anthea@contactpointdental.com
they do mostly temping North of the river.
or First point recruitment info@fprecruitment.com.au they do South of the river.
For both the rate is about $50 ph.

nancy in Glendale, California

57 months ago

Hi everyone. I am a dental hygienist in California and want to work in the UK. Does anyone know how I could get sponsorship for a visa? I'm already registered with the GDC and legally allowed to work, but I just need a visa. Thanks!

Denise in Port Hadlock, Washington

55 months ago

Rita in Perth, Australia said: Hi there.... i am pretty sure that unless you are from New Zealand or Sweden u have to do 1 semester to be able work in Australia.

Rita,
If you are licensed and trained in restorative/ local anesthetic/ and hygiene as well as examined by WREB for all three do you still have to go through the one month training in Australia?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Perth, Australia

55 months ago

here is some info for u

www.dhaa.asn.au/working-in-australia

rea in Auckland, New Zealand

54 months ago

You seem to have all the knowledge for the Perth area! Thanks so much for your wall posts! I am a Canadian hygienist currently working in Auckland, NZ (absolutely loving it), but I do eventually want to try over in Australia. Ideally, I would like to temp so that I could also travel the area and not be tied to work at the beginning. Is there enough work out there to keep me full time temping say in the Perth area? Or at least monthly contract work? Aside from Perth, is there another Aussie city that you would recommend to work in? I have travelled the eastcoast already... but never been to the west. I hear it's amazing.. hence looking for work in this area :) look forward to hearing from you

Rita in Perth, Australia

54 months ago

Oh definitely lots of work in Perth with really good rates. Perth is nice, and probably Sydney is the second choice :)

lyne_michelle@*****.*** in Cork, Ireland

54 months ago

magann in Seattle, Washington said: Hello Lauren.

Thanks so much for offering info. I have been a hygienist for over 7 years practicing in the states. I am trying to get to Oz to work as a dental hygienist and looking for a sponosor. I have called the Denatl Board of Victoria to get verification that once I get my NZ license I may work in Oz as well. Is this true to your findings as well?
I do have a few more questions regarding hygiene in Aus. Would it be ok to email you or would you prefer to answer my questions on the forum??
If you chose to respond by email, mine is : serenitynow85@msn.com
Much appreciated! -Maggie

Hi Maggie
I am an irish qualified hygienist registered both in ireland and with the GDC in the UK. Like you I want to move to OZ and I was wondering how your move went? Similar to you I am applying to the NZ dental council for my licence and I was wondering if it would automatically allowing me to practice in Oz? I would be most grateful of your advise/tips?
Cheers

Rita in Perth, Australia

54 months ago

Hi girls earlier in the forum I have published a link to Hygienist that want to work in Aus. contact the DHAA they will give you all the relevant and up to date info.

Smilecare in Auckland, New Zealand

54 months ago

Hi there. I'm looking for a hygienist to work in NZ. More than happy to help facilitate this - check "www.smilecaredentalstudio.co.nz"

54 months ago

Smilecare in Auckland, New Zealand said: Hi there. I'm looking for a hygienist to work in NZ. More than happy to help facilitate this - check "www.smilecaredentalstudio.co.nz"

Hi there smilecare.

I am an American trained dental hygienist with 8+ years of work experience.
I do currently have NZ dental hgyiene license but also currently getting a couple of scopes of practice added (local anesth and intra oral radiology). Currently living in the states and practicing. Hope to be overseas within a year whether it be NZ or Australia.

IS this a full or part-time employment?? Lenght of commitment?? How soon are you in need of a hygienist?

Thank you!

54 months ago

lyne_michelle@yahoo.com in Cork, Ireland said: Hi Maggie
I am an irish qualified hygienist registered both in ireland and with the GDC in the UK. Like you I want to move to OZ and I was wondering how your move went? Similar to you I am applying to the NZ dental council for my licence and I was wondering if it would automatically allowing me to practice in Oz? I would be most grateful of your advise/tips?
Cheers

Sorry for the delay, will get to ya this weekend.
Mag

aaranda627 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

53 months ago

Linda linda in Aigle, Switzerland said: Hi all!
thanks for you relies! since my first post 10 months ago, I have mooved to Switzerland. I had work here for 18 months and decided to come back. My husband and I still dream of New Zealand and it is by doing a search that I found my post again! Thanks again for the information!

Linda

Hi Linda,
Do you still work in Switzerland? Are you originally from the US? Can you tell me a bit about your experience getting employment in Switzerland and working there please? I am a US RDH and have worked for 3 years. I have done research online but would like a little more personal advice.

Meryl in Melbourne, Australia

53 months ago

Lauren in Melbourne, Australia said: I am a hygienist/therapist in melbourne australia happy to help anyone who wants advice about here or NZ (practitioners registered here in aus automatically get recognised in NZ)

Hi Lauren,

I graduated from dental hygiene last year, in Canada, and have moved to Melbourne with my partner. I wrote and passed the written exam, and I will be doing the 4 day clinical exam in Adelaide at the end of the month, and am so nervous! If you have any tips or suggestions, that would be fantastic. I'd love to connect with a hygienist in Melbourne as I've only been here for a couple of months and don't really know anyone! Cheers,
Meryl

reaganmcveigh in Auckland, New Zealand

53 months ago

Hey Lauren and Rita,

Just wanted to thank you for all of your help!!
I am a Canadian hygienist that has been working in Auckland, NZ for the last year. Unfortunately my nz working visa is coming to an end in March, but I figure take the opportunity and come to Aus (as nz and aus have an easy transfer process)!! Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or Brissy are the cities I am looking at - They're all beautiful, and the decision is tough as each one has its pros and cons... . Out of all of those choices, I just wanted to ensure that jobs will be easy enough to find when I arrive (probably late January)?
Jobs in Canada are now very hard to find as the market is so flooded with hygienists, I just wanted to ensure that wasn't the case in Aus, and that I would hopefully be able to secure something within the first couple of weeks after arriving.

53 months ago

lyne_michelle@yahoo.com in Cork, Ireland said: Hi Maggie
Cheers

Lyne....

Ughh sorry for the delay!! Unfort I am still not in OZ yet, I am dealing know with skills assessment with Australia and they have taking longer than usual. I am not going to give up yet.
Well for one thing I don't think you shouldn't have too much of a problem with getting a VISA in OZ. Australia and NZ have an agreement, I did ring a dental board in Australia and they mentioned they accept a NZ license in good standing regardless of where you took your dental training. Unless for some reason that suddenly has changed.
You will still have to apply with the Australian dental board with proof of a Visa and NZ license. Here is the website in regards to getting licensed in Oz and what the application looks like, www.ahpra.gov.au/. Hope this was helpful.
Good luck! -Maggie

lyne_michelle@*****.*** in Cork, Ireland

53 months ago

Hi Maggie

Thanks for your reply. From the investigations I have been doing, it appears if you are registered with the NZ dental board, you may apply for registration with the Australian dental board, this does not mean guaranteed registration, so I'm thinking now I may just apply to sit the Australian Dental Board exams, at least this way there wont be any restrictions on my licence. I don't mind writing the exams it's just the long process and expense I was hoping to avoid. As re the Visa, some info that might help you. I heard that once you are registered with the Australian Dental Board a practice may sponsor you, it is relatively cheap (approx $4,000) and can be done in 6-8 weeks, perhaps this could be an avenue for you to pursue, skilled visa is expensive and there is a lengthy process (from friends experience 1.6 years), it does however give you the freedom to move around as you wish. Best of luck..Michelle

gailq in Kitchener, Ontario

53 months ago

Hi, I am currently working as a dental hygienist in Ontario and I am thinking of doing some international work. I was thinking about New Zealand and was wondering if there is a lot of work available? I have been in contact with the New Zealand dental council and Im aware of the registration but does one need a job before getting a visa?

thanks,

gail

kazi in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

nancy in Glendale, California said: Hi everyone. I am a dental hygienist in California and want to work in the UK. Does anyone know how I could get sponsorship for a visa? I'm already registered with the GDC and legally allowed to work, but I just need a visa. Thanks!

Hello, did you go to school in the UK? If you went to school in the US, was it fairly easy to register with the GDC? I am trying to register with the GDC. I went to school in Pennsylvania. BTW, it is impossible to get a sponsor for a work visa unless you are in a profession that does not have enough qualified British citizen to fill the openings, hygiene isn't one of them. There is a list on the UK Border Agency's website.

Laura in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

nancy in Glendale, California said: Hi everyone. I am a dental hygienist in California and want to work in the UK. Does anyone know how I could get sponsorship for a visa? I'm already registered with the GDC and legally allowed to work, but I just need a visa. Thanks!

Hello, did you go to school in the UK? If you went to school in the US, was it fairly easy to register with the GDC? I am trying to register with the GDC. I went to school in Pennsylvania. BTW, it is impossible to get a sponsor for a work visa unless you are in a profession that does not have enough qualified British citizen to fill the openings, hygiene isn't one of them. There is a list on the UK Border Agency's website.

Lyne_Michelle@*****.*** in Cork, Ireland

48 months ago

Hi ladies, to get registered with the GDC you need to submit quite a bit of paperwork, mostly related to your course work, modules taken, time it took, results received etc.. Unfortunately there seems to be a decline in the number of hygiene positions available due to the tough economic times, that will obviously play a negative part in gaining sponsorship. Perhaps contact the dental recruitment agencies they might be able to help also o harm in posting an ad in 1 or 2 of the professional magazines or websites. You may have better chance of sponsorship in the more remote places, such as certain areas of Scotland or maybe one of the corporate groups. Best of luck.michele

Nancy in Burbank, California

48 months ago

Hi everyone! Thank you for your response! Yes, I finally got registered with the GDC, but if I'm being quite honest, there was no point! It is nearly impossible to get sponsored and the work in the UK is next to none. I did, however, have a dentist who was willing to sponsor me (he resided in West Sussex) and I also have a top-notch immigration lawyer who was going to help me with the process, but the dentist was raping me with what he was offering in terms of salary! 20,000 pounds pro-rated, which meant I would only get paid 13,000 pounds a year if that. I make more than double that here in California! Additionally, I think he was taking advantage of the notion I had to get sponsored, and I know that salary is well below the average salary for a hygienist. I lived in London and West Sussex in the past, and I know you cannot live off that income. Regardless, I will keep and maintain my registration with the GDC. And yes, the paperwork to register is quite extensive! I think it took me more than 3 months + to get everything sorted!

suz in Cork, Ireland

48 months ago

jane in Calgary, Alberta said: Did you use an agency to figure out your requirements or to find a job?

Hi katie, hope u dont mind me mailing you, but i just came across your mail to anna in austrilia, my name is suzanne and i am from ireland, work here is very slow for hyg at the moment and i am thinking of going to NZ, not sure what part of NZ,but before i go over i just want to know what the wk situation is like for hyg,is wk plentifull?? ,
is there alot of paper wk involved
,exams?? etc, would love to hear from you, suz

Ria in Sampaloc, Philippines

40 months ago

Meryl in Melbourne, Australia said: Hi Lauren,

I graduated from dental hygiene last year, in Canada, and have moved to Melbourne with my partner. I wrote and passed the written exam, and I will be doing the 4 day clinical exam in Adelaide at the end of the month, and am so nervous! If you have any tips or suggestions, that would be fantastic. I'd love to connect with a hygienist in Melbourne as I've only been here for a couple of months and don't really know anyone! Cheers,
Meryl

Hi Meryl!
I just want to ask how did your 4 day clinical exam go? I'm taking up dental hygiene in the Philippines and planning to move to Sydney to live with my partner. Did you have any working experience before moving to Melbourne?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ashkar in Delhi, India

32 months ago

Reshma Rai in Kathmandu, Nepal said: I am Dental Hygienist .I passed out in kantipur school of dentistry and Dental hospital (Dhapasi,KTM).I am joint BBS also. Iam working in Blue bird International Clinic for 15month . i would like to apply for USA so,What can i do? Please reply me.
thank u

www.ifdh.org/ First of all check out the current employment scenario there
Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ireneiancu in Toronto, Ontario

27 months ago

Has anyone here gone thru the process from transferring from Canadian RDH to Australian? What was the process like?

KBurvDHYG in Vancouver, British Columbia

27 months ago

Meryl in Melbourne, Australia said: Hi Lauren,

Meryl

Hi Meryl!
How was your experience with the written and clinical exam?? I am doing the same thing as you; I am graduating in May and plan on moving over to be with my partner in Brisbane. Also was wondering which Visa you opted for? Any information will help :) Thanks
Kira

Toothology in Regina, Saskatchewan

21 months ago

Hey all
I am registered dental hygienist in Canada and hoping to move to Australia, Sydney area. Is there any insight in the transition. I have local anesthesia and laser certification but no restorative. What is the job market and wages like? Is it fairly easy to register in aus?? Any response is much appreciated.. thanks

edwardrose in Atlanta, United States minor outlying islands

18 months ago

Hello,
My name is Edward.I want to move to Auckland NZ.Being american citizen, what do i have to do in order to be able to work in NZ.I really appreciate your help.

Thank You!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.