How far into your pregnancy did you work?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Jennifer in Toronto, Ontario

44 months ago

I am about to actively start trying to conceive, and was wondering on average how far into your pregnancy were you able to work. I work 4- 5 days weekly and about 8- 9 hours per shift. Some of my friends who work took maternity leave around 7- 7.5 months because they said it was too hard on their backs and were unable to work comfortably. I know everyone is different, but was hoping to be able to get an idea about what is typical.

Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

decoun in Osseo, Minnesota

44 months ago

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant, and let me tell you, it is uncomfortable! I would love to work until full term, but really don't see that happening as I can't go an hour without neck, hip, back, pelvis, and shoulder pain. Not exactly a dream job for a pregnant lady!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

me again in Osseo, Minnesota

44 months ago

Regarding your friends that started their maternity leave around 7-7.5 months, did they still have a full 12 weeks with their babies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AMANDA in Vancouver, British Columbia

44 months ago

Jennifer in Toronto, Ontario said: I am about to actively start trying to conceive, and was wondering on average how far into your pregnancy were you able to work. I work 4- 5 days weekly and about 8- 9 hours per shift. Some of my friends who work took maternity leave around 7- 7.5 months because they said it was too hard on their backs and were unable to work comfortably. I know everyone is different, but was hoping to be able to get an idea about what is typical.

Thanks in advance!

Work until you feel discomfort. Make sure you tell the doctor that you want to come back to work after maternity leave so he keeps a spot open for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

44 months ago

AMANDA in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Work until you feel discomfort. Make sure you tell the doctor that you want to come back to work after maternity leave so he keeps a spot open for you!

Do you really think that will happen? In today's market , I hope she has a position to come back to...Have a happy, healthy pregnancy....is the Dr. going to hold that spot for you for 6wks to ....? Hope so. GL

44 months ago

I don't know what to do. It seems many of the hygienists in my office just say "Well I worked to full term" (which I seriously doubt as I don't know how on earth you even could). I am going to discuss it with my OB tomorrow, and see if she has any suggestions. I might try to make it another month (ugh...that sounds horrible!). I would be done right now in a heartbeat if I thought/knew they wouldn't have a problem with me leaving now plus taking a 12 week maternity leave (which I am set on). Ahhh decisions, decisions...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Does anyone else have insight on the initial question...how long on average were you or hygienists in your office able to work while pregnant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

me again in Osseo, Minnesota said: Does anyone else have insight on the initial question...how long on average were you or hygienists in your office able to work while pregnant?

Is this Dr. going to HOLD your postion for you? Do you have any thing written ...saying you can have you job still? I hope he's a decent employer, some don't get their jobs back in 3mos....work as long as you can comfortably, but around 7+ mos. your size and comfort change...others say work up til due date...NOT...OBGYN and you best time to stop...have you discussed this time off with your employer? What has he/she said about your PG leave? and your job there...

44 months ago

I know they will hold my position for a 12 week leave. I'm not sure they would be too happy about me going before that. I did talk to my OB today, and she said I will know when I need to be done. I'm going to just take it day by day, and when I get to that point where I just can't do it anymore (I'm hoping to make it like 5 more weeks or so), I will just try to find someone to cover my shifts or something. I haven't really talked to them about it...thinking I may have to have a conversation with our office manager.

Plakattaka in Toronto, Ontario

44 months ago

me again in Osseo, Minnesota said: Regarding your friends that started their maternity leave around 7-7.5 months, did they still have a full 12 weeks with their babies?

Maternity leave in Canada is 1 yr and your job has to be held for you. Very different from the US.

44 months ago

In Canada We have maternity leave for a full year. They legally have to hold your position for you for the entire 12 months. My friends who have left at 7-7.5 months have taken the full year and returned to their previous positions. I am a full time employee so they are not able to replace me.

44 months ago

Here in Canada maternity leave is one year, and your employer has to legally hold your position for you. You can not be replace unless you state you will not be returning. My friends who have taken maternity leave at 7-7.5 months have taken the entire year and returned to their current positions at the end of the 12 months

44 months ago

Plakattaka in Toronto, Ontario said: Maternity leave in Canada is 1 yr and your job has to be held for you. Very different from the US.

Canadian RDH's are very fortunate of this maternity leave status...does it apply to PT RDH's as well?...since this seems to be the present state, and IMO, how we will be working for the next 20 yrs...if they still utilize actual RDH's, licensed and trained as we are...and not do DA scaling module's which I've seen mentioned throught this forum. Any info on that as well...the present state of those DA scaling modules???

44 months ago

Maternity leave applies to anyone who has worked I believe over 600 hours within the last 12 months at their job, (it may be 680 hours. As far as the level 3 assistants I think it is only in Alberta and they can't scale a 4mm pocket. It's not in Ontario yet.

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

44 months ago

Jennifer...you're living in a dream world. It isn't carved in stone anymore. I think if you look into it a bit, you'll see that there has to be a position available, but it can look drastically different than the one the person left. I know of several DH that came back to severely reduced hours, and were basically squeezed out of work entirely. Remember, the majority of us work for A SMALL BUSINESS, and they can basically do what they like. Especially now with the abundance of DH to pick from.

Exp...it isn't as good as it sounds. Not by a long shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHmom in Medicine Hat, Alberta

44 months ago

Jennifer in Toronto, Ontario said: Maternity leave applies to anyone who has worked I believe over 600 hours within the last 12 months at their job, (it may be 680 hours. As far as the level 3 assistants I think it is only in Alberta and they can't scale a 4mm pocket. It's not in Ontario yet.

Congratulations on the baby! Any names yet? I think the dentist is required by law to give you maternity leave if you are a full time employee, so you shouldn't worry about that. Maybe have it put in writing or something? it will make you feel better. I worked until i was 25 weeks along. After that it got too much for me as I had to run to the bathroom every 40 min or so to pee because the position i was sitting in caused the baby to press on my bladder constantly. Ultimately, it's up to you and your comfort level. My sister worked until her due date and drove herself to the hospital after work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I understand what you are saying, and no I'm not living in a dream world. I think that it depends on the office you work in. My employer has had staff for 20 years, he is a more than fair employer. All of his hygienists have taken multiple maternity leaves and have returned to their original positions.

The small businesses that have done that to the hygienists are banking on those RDH's not fighting it.

I pulled this info from the government's website:

What if the employees' job is no longer available?
Generally, a comparable position with the same pay and benefits must be offered. In special circumstances, employers may not have a position available for reasons completely unrelated to the leave. For example, if employers shut down part of their operations and reduce their workforce based on a seniority system, employees who are on unpaid leave would not necessarily be protected from losing their jobs.

Employers must show that the leave has no impact on the decision to lay off or terminate the employment.

What if employers refuse to bring employees back to work?
An employee who believes they were terminated because they took or requested leave may file a claim with the Employment Standards Branch. Employers who do not allow employees to return to work after a leave may be ordered to pay compensation, and in some cases reinstate them to their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

RDHmom in Medicine Hat, Alberta said: Congratulations on the baby! Any names yet? I think the dentist is required by law to give you maternity leave if you are a full time employee, so you shouldn't worry about that. Maybe have it put in writing or something? it will make you feel better. I worked until i was 25 weeks along. After that it got too much for me as I had to run to the bathroom every 40 min or so to pee because the position i was sitting in caused the baby to press on my bladder constantly. Ultimately, it's up to you and your comfort level. My sister worked until her due date and drove herself to the hospital after work!

That's crazy that she drove herself to the hospital. I'm not pregnant yet. Just trying to figure out finances and the impact it will have on us.

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

44 months ago

^^ Thanks for the info Jennifer. Yes, I agree..it all depends on the employer, and yes, the DDS are counting on RDH not fighting it. And probably most wouldn't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sila in Ajax, Ontario

44 months ago

Hi, regarding the same topic. I am a rdh and am currently about 5 wks pregnant. I'm not trying to change the subject but wondering if any of the dental hygienists here stopped taking rads. for pts. when they were expecting. I've heard 2 diff. stories as some say it's not a problem as long as you are outside the room when pressing the button, and others are saying not to take them!! I'm so confused and worried because I'm still taking x-rays.

flossy in Jamestown, Kentucky

43 months ago

I stoppped taking x-rays, but we have enough people in my office to help out. (there are 4 hygienists and 2 assitants in my office).
Sometimes I have someone from the business staff push the button for me after I position the film and then I run around the corner at a good length away from the radiation. It may not be a problem but it gives me peace of mind. I've heard that if you wear a lead apron that covers both the front and back of you that it will protect you while taking x-rays but we do not have an apron in my office that covers both the front and back. It seems as if an apron that only covers the front should be sufficient since x-rays go in a straight line.

RDHCJ in Connecticut

31 months ago

Jennifer in Toronto, Ontario said: I am about to actively start trying to conceive, and was wondering on average how far into your pregnancy were you able to work. I work 4- 5 days weekly and about 8- 9 hours per shift. Some of my friends who work took maternity leave around 7- 7.5 months because they said it was too hard on their backs and were unable to work comfortably. I know everyone is different, but was hoping to be able to get an idea about what is typical.

Thanks in advance!

I have not had a baby myself but from what I see most work up til their 7th month so they can then take off their 3 months maternity leave where the office must hire only a temp and leave the job open for them to come back to, if they want to.

DH in Saint Paul, Minnesota

29 months ago

This is my 3rd pregnancy. I worked with both my first 2 up until the day before delivery that being said both of them arrived early (36.2 weeks and 37.3 weeks) this is my last baby and I already scheduled my leave starting at 38 weeks figuring either the baby will arrive early or I will be just so uncomfortable and unable to work. I do work 4-5 days a week 2 days for 8.25 hours but other days much longer 11.5 hours a day. I will do this until about 34 weeks and then try to still work 4 or 5 days but work shorter day until the end. Do what works for you and discuss with your doctor.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.