What is being done about dental hygiene preceptorship?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

BP 72 in Encinitas, California

71 months ago

I posted somewhere else but thought this was worthy of a new topic. I sent an email to ADHA and CDHA asking about what is being done about preceptorship and still have gotten no response. I was doing research about going into Dental Hygiene (I got laid off in architecture/civil engineering because of the economy) and saw some concern about this issue. The ADA has made steps to make this a reality. Is anyone in the DH field familiar with this? Is anyone worried? The new position... "following undefined educational preparation, the preventive dental assistant would be permitted to scale and polish."

The websites below will clarify.

www.adafoundation.org/public/careers/team/opa.asp

www.adha.org/profissues/preceptorship/adaactions.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

E in LA in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

BP 72 in Encinitas, California said: I posted somewhere else but thought this was worthy of a new topic. I sent an email to ADHA and CDHA asking about what is being done about preceptorship and still have gotten no response. I was doing research about going into Dental Hygiene (I got laid off in architecture/civil engineering because of the economy) and saw some concern about this issue. The ADA has made steps to make this a reality. Is anyone in the DH field familiar with this? Is anyone worried? The new position... "following undefined educational preparation, the preventive dental assistant would be permitted to scale and polish."

The websites below will clarify.

www.adafoundation.org/public/careers/team/opa.asp

www.adha.org/profissues/preceptorship/adaactions.htm

Wow I had no idea abut this. I am finishing prereqs for DH school in CA but this makes me worried about future job outlook. U know who are all behind this...... greedy powerful DDS's that hate having to pay the DHs a fair wage!!! By turning assistants into DH's they hope to cut corners and pay cheap.

71 months ago

E in LA in Los Angeles, California said: Wow I had no idea abut this. I am finishing prereqs for DH school in CA but this makes me worried about future job outlook. U know who are all behind this...... greedy powerful DDS's that hate having to pay the DHs a fair wage!!! By turning assistants into DH's they hope to cut corners and pay cheap.

Yeah, i read somewhere in another forum that this position would pay something like $8-10/hr. I'm assuming this was in a small city somewhere. That's $8-10/hr off of the DH's pay, I assume more though since the DDS could out of spite offer more to the "oral preventative assistant" and less to the DH. Isn't scaling and polishing the bread and butter of Dentistry?

E in LA in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

is this going to be passed in ca then?

71 months ago

I have found no law for it in the Ca Dental Board, but that's a legislative issue, which means politics - who's got the most lobbying power, who's got the most $$$. I would think DDS have more than DH's. That's why the ADA had the wherewhithal to create the curriculum for this new profession and the ADHA was unable to stop it. It may take years for it to materialize in CA, but I think it will come. The ADA has opened up the door.

I'm not in the Dental profession, yet I seem to know more about this than people in the DH field. That's kinda scary. If the DDS's are more organized and informed, then the DH profession will decline big time. Aside from this issue, I've read that more DH's are being turned out than DDS's in CA. Right now the public DH programs are impacted with 3-5 year waits. This all potentially means less need for the DH's given that DH's are to be under the supervision of DDS's. I don't want to give up researching going into this field until I know what's all true but no one seems to know. That's real scary!!

td in O Fallon, Missouri

70 months ago

BP 72 in Encinitas, California said: I have found no law for it in the Ca Dental Board, but that's a legislative issue, which means politics - who's got the most lobbying power, who's got the most $$$. I would think DDS have more than DH's. That's why the ADA had the wherewhithal to create the curriculum for this new profession and the ADHA was unable to stop it. It may take years for it to materialize in CA, but I think it will come. The ADA has opened up the door.

I'm not in the Dental profession, yet I seem to know more about this than people in the DH field. That's kinda scary. If the DDS's are more organized and informed, then the DH profession will decline big time. Aside from this issue, I've read that more DH's are being turned out than DDS's in CA. Right now the public DH programs are impacted with 3-5 year waits. This all potentially means less need for the DH's given that DH's are to be under the supervision of DDS's. I don't want to give up researching going into this field until I know what's all true but no one seems to know. That's real scary!!

Dental hygienist do know about this problem and we talk to representaives every year to inform them of the importance of dental hygienist. This has been an ongoing problem for many years and it has never been passed. I used to worry about it but I believe as long as hygienist fight to educate patients and representatives that school and training are very important assistants will never take over. It would be very unsafe and unethical if this would ever happen. I do know in missouri Hygienist are well aware of this and come together to keep the profession around.

White Lotus in San Francisco, California

70 months ago

I keep up to date on these issues in my profession. And I did know about CA dentists working on preceptorship, but I didn't know the ADA was working on it as well. That would make it nationwide wouldn't it? Or would they leave it up to the states? Don't they already have preceptorship in Alabama for hygienists? That sounds scary to me, but if it's supragingival scaling then it doesn't sound that scary to me, because assistants already do polishing. Actually many dentist offices in CA have their assistants do the scaling and polishing already. People don't talk about it. I personally know one assistant (who is still an assistant) who did prophys regularly for her boss but she doesn't like to talk about it. This stuff has been going on for years, it's just kind of happening on the down low.

70 months ago

So if they're doing it now, it's just a matter of time til that starts to infringe on DH's pay. It's happened in other professions (Building industry with architects, contractors, and drafters) I don't see why it wouldn't happen here. It'll boil down to who has the most power. I haven't heard of it happening in California yet. And I think you're right about Alabama. Just check ADA's website.

KC in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

it is all good and fine until people start losing their teeth. Dental hygiene is a very difficult skill that requires professional training and education. Would those dentists feel confident allowing an assistant to work on them or their loved ones. Also all the current research regarding the systemic effects of periodontal disease, come on get real.

plain and simple in Bronx, New York

69 months ago

Dental ass will never place dental hygienist..The rate of sue will be higher and dentist will lose money.because,they are not licened and anyone can sue them easly even if they perform the same job as hyginest.people here in usa believe in degree and education and they know assi are only here to clean and help

Just look at it this way,No way in hell,Dentist will lose more ,that is why the situation is the same and nothing has change..there is a hidden politician behind everything..there are 11 dentist and 1 hygienist.state in the broad.I'm planning on becaming the second hygienst and kick some dentist behind

Anne in Toronto, Ontario

69 months ago

plain and simple in Bronx, New York said: Dental ass will never place dental hygienist..The rate of sue will be higher and dentist will lose money.because,they are not licened and anyone can sue them easly even if they perform the same job as hyginest.people here in usa believe in degree and education and they know assi are only here to clean and help

Just look at it this way,No way in hell,Dentist will lose more ,that is why the situation is the same and nothing has change..there is a hidden politician behind everything..there are 11 dentist and 1 hygienist.state in the broad.I'm planning on becaming the second hygienst and kick some dentist behind

All the power to you!

Arya L in Queen Creek, Arizona

68 months ago

They have started offer the Preventive Dentistry Program in Alberta Canada, where DA's learn to scale up to 4 mm subgingivally. It is a 4- month course but only 3 weeks at a school, the rest is self -study. The dentists are rubbing there greedy little hands together all the way to the bank. will there be a different rate for scaling provided by a DA?? heck no. The only person who wins is the dentist. If you were a patient and you were going to pay $54/unit of scaling would you want someone with 2 weeks scaling experience or a four year degree. I already see DH's losing their jobs and the DA and DDS are ecstatic! Get tough in your states/ provinces if they have not passed the scaling module already because they are working hard at it. Unfortumately they are funded by the dentists who have a lot more money in their associations then we do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Wichita, Kansas

60 months ago

I just graduated from DH and I am working on receving my BSDH in KANSAS. In KANSAS this has already been passed. Here we have what are called "scaling assistants" - they attend classes 3 evenings a week for 6-12 weeks. I have been in school four years to get a dental hygiene degree (2 yrs pre-req and 2 years in the DH program). The DDS can usually pay these assistants $15-$20 and RDH's in this area make about 25-30 after graduating. This is very scary and I would hope the RDH's in CA are doing everything they can to stop this. The dental board will make the point the assistants will help address the access to care issue and make dental care more readily available - LIES. That is the argument they used here in KS and most all scaling assitants work in urban areas and the need for dental personnel in western ks is still huge. Makes getting a hygiene job pretty hard when the DDS is considering paying a person 15 or 30.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.