jobs in the portland, oregon area

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 76)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

nancyw in chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

I am considering moving to Oregon and was wondering about the job situation. Is it flooded with hygienist or are there still quality jobs available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Portland, Oregon

88 months ago

There are TONS of jobs in the Portland area....just look on craigslist and there's 2 to 3 hygienist jobs posted a day usually, and they start out making $30-$32 an hour. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Carly in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

Jennifer in Portland, Oregon said: There are TONS of jobs in the Portland area....just look on craigslist and there's 2 to 3 hygienist jobs posted a day usually, and they start out making $30-$32 an hour. Hope this helps!

Yes there are plenty of openings for hygienists in the area, but I wanted to let you know that $30-32 an hour is pretty low for pay. (unless you're getting awesome benefits) I would plan to make at least $38 an hour with minimal experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Barbra

80 months ago

really I've been in the field for about 5 years now and I only make $17.50 an hour maybe I should move to portland. If what you say is true than I'm not getting paid any thing close to what I'm worth!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Inna in Beaverton, Oregon

80 months ago

Barbra said: really I've been in the field for about 5 years now and I only make $17.50 an hour maybe I should move to portland. If what you say is true than I'm not getting paid any thing close to what I'm worth!!!

Hello,

are you a hygeninst or an assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

Barbra said: really I've been in the field for about 5 years now and I only make $17.50 an hour maybe I should move to portland. If what you say is true than I'm not getting paid any thing close to what I'm worth!!!

I don't know where you work, but that's definately underpaid. New graduates are making at least $31-$32 in this area.

Inna in Portland, Oregon

80 months ago

Our cosmetic practice is looking for a motivated hygenist.

Barbra

80 months ago

well I live in chase kansas pop. of about 490 my folks live in springfield oregon where I was born and raised for most of my life but I got married at 18 to a man thats family lived here in kansas so I was stupid and moved here and went to a community college here in and then got my AA degree in DH and have been doing so for 5 years since I graduated and I'm the only RDH here at our office I stared at $13. its me and a dental assistant. But anyways my soon to be ex husband and I are in the middle of a divorce and I wanted to know if a single mom with three kids could afford to live off from a RDH's salary because well my husband was telling me that RDH's make way less in oregon than kansas. I was planning on moving back to oregon and was looking at wages cause I wanted to make at least what I make here. And well yeah seeing that you guys are making double what I make I was just wowed. But are the wages the same for the eugene springfield area and I here that the cost of living is way more there than here I haven't been back home for almost 10 years now so I was just wondering if it would be a smart choice to move home.

cassy in Tualatin, Oregon

79 months ago

Barbra said: well I live in chase kansas pop. of about 490 my folks live in springfield oregon where I was born and raised for most of my life but I got married at 18 to a man thats family lived here in kansas so I was stupid and moved here and went to a community college here in and then got my AA degree in DH and have been doing so for 5 years since I graduated and I'm the only RDH here at our office I stared at $13. its me and a dental assistant. But anyways my soon to be ex husband and I are in the middle of a divorce and I wanted to know if a single mom with three kids could afford to live off from a RDH's salary because well my husband was telling me that RDH's make way less in oregon than kansas. I was planning on moving back to oregon and was looking at wages cause I wanted to make at least what I make here. And well yeah seeing that you guys are making double what I make I was just wowed. But are the wages the same for the eugene springfield area and I here that the cost of living is way more there than here I haven't been back home for almost 10 years now so I was just wondering if it would be a smart choice to move home.

Yes, they should be the same but you will have to see what it takes to be licenced here, you may have to take some boards.

manisha in Beaverton, Oregon

79 months ago

Hi,
I am a dental hygiene student and was exploring the field. Regarding the job availability, Is is true that most of the people get only part time jobs in this field?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Peri in Santa Cruz, California

79 months ago

I live in Santa Cruz, CA and there is surplus of hygienists here. For every job there's about 20 applicants! I'm moving because of this. does anyone know the job market in Chicago, Illinois?

port1947 in Beaverton, Oregon

68 months ago

nancyw in chicago, Illinois said: I am considering moving to Oregon and was wondering about the job situation. Is it flooded with hygienist or are there still quality jobs available.

There are currently no hygienist jobs in portland! The market is totally flooded. I have sent out over 100 resumes and applied for every job on craigslist and have had no luck. Jobs on craigslist are usually about 1 every 10 days and are usually only 1 day per week. Good luck you'll need it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Disappointed RDH in Medford, Oregon

64 months ago

The Oregon hygiene market is completely flooded and there's a new batch out in a couple months. That's what you get when you have too many schools and a very small state population. I followed someone here and haven't been employed since I got here 7 months ago...I will be moving shortly, though I'm concerned as to where since everywhere seems in bad shape with the economy and no dentists hiring. A periodontist told me I shouldn't worry about how long it took for my license here in Oregon to come through because there weren't any jobs anyway...and he is certainly correct. Actually, the whole state sucks for dental professionals, unless you are an assistant...it seems everywhere in the U.S. there is a shortage of assistants! Good luck - I'm looking to go back to school for something else so I can feed myself some day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robrdh in Portland, Oregon

62 months ago

Disappointed RDH in Medford, Oregon said: The Oregon hygiene market is completely flooded and there's a new batch out in a couple months. That's what you get when you have too many schools and a very small state population. I followed someone here and haven't been employed since I got here 7 months ago...I will be moving shortly, though I'm concerned as to where since everywhere seems in bad shape with the economy and no dentists hiring. A periodontist told me I shouldn't worry about how long it took for my license here in Oregon to come through because there weren't any jobs anyway...and he is certainly correct. Actually, the whole state sucks for dental professionals, unless you are an assistant...it seems everywhere in the U.S. there is a shortage of assistants! Good luck - I'm looking to go back to school for something else so I can feed myself some day.

With an attitude like that, no wonder you can't find a job. I grew up in Medford and have many hygiene friends who live there. Yes it's slow but not devoid of jobs, with the right attitude and committment. I currently live in Portland, and it's slower than it has been, but still 15-20 postings everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

peri in Santa Cruz, California

62 months ago

It's easy to feel down when you have put so much into your schooling and then can't find a job, possibly volunteer at a local clinic and they might hire you. That worked for me before :-)

In regards to the last reply, I don't think it's kind or helpful to comment on someones "attitude". It's tough times right now most everywhere, I'm finally working 3 days a week but have lost my bonus and really could use 1 more day! I recently quit a long term temp job since the dentist was dishonst and I just couldn't deal with it anymore! I feel so bad for hygienist friends of mine that have to work for these guys and they are continually sacrificing there ethics just because they are financially desperate, I'm right on the edge myself. It's so difficult for so many of us right now! Good luck to all my dental hygiene sisters out there! I hear there's work in the middle east :-O

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

62 months ago

robrdh in Portland, Oregon said: With an attitude like that, no wonder you can't find a job. I grew up in Medford and have many hygiene friends who live there. Yes it's slow but not devoid of jobs, with the right attitude and committment. I currently live in Portland, and it's slower than it has been, but still 15-20 postings everyday.

I don't think she has a bad attitude. You be unemployed for 7 months & see how you feel. There may be 15-20 postings daily but how many are serial posters (there's a reason they are looking & it's usually them). How many are applying for those jobs I bet way more than 15-20, probably closer to 150 or 200. This sure doesn't leave alot of openings for those looking. Attitude does change when you can't feed yourself.

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

62 months ago

Peri...there is VERY LITTLE work in the ME. They have been flooded with DH applications too!!

So the north American DH dilemma is now world wide.

I wonder how Europe if faring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashly in Silverton, Oregon

62 months ago

I have to agree and I havn't even started dental hygiene school. (I start this Fall) I've been looking up Dental Hygiene Jobs in my area (Oregon) to see what's out there and there's never anything. Plus we now have 8 Dental Hygiene Schools in Oregon (that I can think of off the top of my head)which means they will be pumping out at least 20 up to 45 new DH Students every year. I've wanted to be a dental hygienist since high school and have worked really hard to get here. So I'm just taking the chance and hoping that I can get a job when I graduate. It helps that I only want to work a couple days a week. But I can see where you guys who are trying to find work in the field are coming from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

62 months ago

Ashly...I'm asking this question simply because I'm curious.

You seem like you have a good perspective of the what actually exists for you once you finish school, so why would you go ahead with hygiene?

Are you in a position to be able to not work for what could be a long time?

And what about your skills if you can't find a position?

I don't understand..it's just not something I would do. So, just curious.

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

62 months ago

Ashly in Silverton, Oregon said: I have to agree and I havn't even started dental hygiene school. (I start this Fall) I've been looking up Dental Hygiene Jobs in my area (Oregon) to see what's out there and there's never anything. Plus we now have 8 Dental Hygiene Schools in Oregon (that I can think of off the top of my head)which means they will be pumping out at least 20 up to 45 new DH Students every year. I've wanted to be a dental hygienist since high school and have worked really hard to get here. So I'm just taking the chance and hoping that I can get a job when I graduate. It helps that I only want to work a couple days a week. But I can see where you guys who are trying to find work in the field are coming from.

As I read this, I am thinking of two relatives who had wanted to be RDHs and are now just lost as to what to do....I feel so bad for all of you and what has happened in the employment market for dental hygienist. Too many schools with far too many grads is just ridiculous and so very unfair. If there were 3 extra DENTAL schools set up in each of your states and each of our provinces, you can bet there would be a HUGE OUTCRY of UNFAIRNESS. :(

Ashly in Silverton, Oregon

62 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: Ashly...I'm asking this question simply because I'm curious.

You seem like you have a good perspective of the what actually exists for you once you finish school, so why would you go ahead with hygiene?

Are you in a position to be able to not work for what could be a long time?

And what about your skills if you can't find a position?

I don't understand..it's just not something I would do. So, just curious.

My boyfriend and I live together and plan to get married once I graduate. He is an electrician and makes pretty good money; I never planned on working more then a couple of days a week anyways and I figure I will be able to find a job doing that even if it is 1 day in 1 office and another day in a different office. I do think it's unfortunate that hygiene has became so saturated. It used to be a rewarding career because it was SO competitive to get into the schools (as there use to be few schools in a state and each school only accepted a few students a year) now that is completely different. There was a need for hygienists at one time so they thought it would be a good idea to open a bunch of schools, I don't know if that's the real reasoning just my guess. But, to get back on track: I am doing it because Dental Hygiene is the only thing I've ever even considered doing. I actually work in an office as bookkeeper now; I make pretty good money and have pretty good job security, but I can never take a week vacation because nobody would be able to fill in and do my job. If I don't work nobody gets paid. That is one of the reasons I like Dental Hygiene because I am not depended upon, I can take vacations if I want. I could even not work for a month at a time if I felt like it. So in saying that; yea I guess I could deal with not working if that's what it turns out to be. I am just crossing my fingers and hoping it gets better. Because right now everyone I know is struggling with finding work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Woodburn, Oregon

61 months ago

peri in Santa Cruz, California said: It's easy to feel down when you have put so much into your schooling and then can't find a job, possibly volunteer at a local clinic and they might hire you. That worked for me before :-)

Peri, I was wondering what you did when you volunteered at the local clinic. Did you do hygiene work, or was it sterilization/office help?

I'm looking for work in Oregon after staying home with my kids for eight years. I'm astounded, it's very different from when I left.

I'd be willing to volunteer just to get my foot in the door. Anyone else have any luck volunteering as a hygienist?

2 in Beaverton, Oregon

61 months ago

robrdh in Portland, Oregon said: With an attitude like that, no wonder you can't find a job. I grew up in Medford and have many hygiene friends who live there. Yes it's slow but not devoid of jobs, with the right attitude and committment. I currently live in Portland, and it's slower than it has been, but still 15-20 postings everyday.

Let her go ahead and complain... maybe that will invite less people to come to our state looking for hygiene work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ginger_Vitus in Medford, Oregon

60 months ago

Hi all!
RDH looking for work in Medford, OR or surrounding area. I've been hitting up offices with my cover letters and resumes, but no luck so far with the job hunt. Anyone have any tips/advise or even know of opportunities?

rojordh in Portland, Oregon

59 months ago

The Portland/Vancouver market is completely flooded with Dental Hygienists. I have been looking for something steady since I graduated in 2008. I have been mostly filling in at offices since graduation. I have worked for 2 offices that ended up going out of business due lack of patients. I have had several interviews with offices telling me "we are hoping to get patients coming back so we can have 1-2 days a week of steady hygiene". I have had a couple of interviews in which dentists claim to be doing their own hygiene now because of a lack of a full schedule. It is very difficult to find a quality hygiene position. It is scary and upsetting. Dental hygiene school is very expensive, and when you research the career there are many claims of it being a very "in demand" profession. It makes it sound as if jobs are aplenty, but that is just not the case, especially in this area. I have huge student loan debt from pursuing what I thought was going to be a fairly secure profession that I was going to love (I do love it, but I don't love not being able to find a job...and my student loan companies don't care that can't find a job, they want their money!), but alas here I am basically unemployed/underemployed for 2 years now. I feel depressed, overwhelmed, and I honestly have regrets about choosing dental hygiene as my profession due to the instability I have experienced. Whoever posted that there are 15-20 dental hygiene job posts a day is completely wrong! There may be 15-20 of the same posts for months, and 1-2 new ones get added every few weeks! Believe me, I comb the internet every few days looking for new posts on tons of websites!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

rojordh in Portland, Oregon said: The Portland/Vancouver market is completely flooded with Dental Hygienists. I have been looking for something steady since I graduated in 2008. I have been mostly filling in at offices since graduation. I have worked for 2 offices that ended up going out of business due lack of patients. I have had several interviews with offices telling me "we are hoping to get patients coming back so we can have 1-2 days a week of steady hygiene". I have had a couple of interviews in which dentists claim to be doing their own hygiene now because of a lack of a full schedule. It is very difficult to find a quality hygiene position. It is scary and upsetting. Dental hygiene school is very expensive, and when you research the career there are many claims of it being a very "in demand" profession. It makes it sound as if jobs are aplenty, but that is just not the case, especially in this area. I have huge student loan debt from pursuing what I thought was going to be a fairly secure profession that I was going to love (I do love it, but I don't love not being able to find a job...and my student loan companies don't care that can't find a job, they want their money!), but alas here I am basically unemployed/underemployed for 2 years now. I feel depressed, overwhelmed, and I honestly have regrets about choosing dental hygiene as my profession due to the instability I have experienced. Whoever posted that there are 15-20 dental hygiene job posts a day is completely wrong! There may be 15-20 of the same posts for months, and 1-2 new ones get added every few weeks! Believe me, I comb the internet every few days looking for new posts on tons of websites!

Hi Portland,
So well said and so truthful as to what is going on. I am so sorry this is happening to you and the fact that you graduated in 2008 and are still looking for work. Very unfair.... thank you for your honesty and all the best to you as your search for a job.....

rojordh

59 months ago

In my internet combing while looking for a job, I came across a website where dentists were posting what they pay their hygienists throughout the US. While some of these dentists pay their hygienists quite well, and claim their hygienists are well worth the money, most of the posts were from dentists complaining about how much money they were paying their hygienists. Some of the dentists stated that hygienists were overpaid for what little they do!! Also, that hygienist's educational level does not justify their pay, and etc!! One dentist even posted that the market is flooded with hygienists in some areas and still the wages aren't coming down! Was this the plan?? Set-up dozens of hygiene schools in each state, flood the market to drive wages down? Scary!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

59 months ago

rojordh said: In my internet combing while looking for a job, I came across a website where dentists were posting what they pay their hygienists throughout the US. While some of these dentists pay their hygienists quite well, and claim their hygienists are well worth the money, most of the posts were from dentists complaining about how much money they were paying their hygienists. Some of the dentists stated that hygienists were overpaid for what little they do!! Also, that hygienist's educational level does not justify their pay, and etc!! One dentist even posted that the market is flooded with hygienists in some areas and still the wages aren't coming down! Was this the plan?? Set-up dozens of hygiene schools in each state, flood the market to drive wages down? Scary!

If RDHs get paid too much for what they do then dentists charge too much for what RDHs do.

59 months ago

rojordh said: In my internet combing while looking for a job, I came across a website where dentists were posting what they pay their hygienists throughout the US. While some of these dentists pay their hygienists quite well, and claim their hygienists are well worth the money, most of the posts were from dentists complaining about how much money they were paying their hygienists. Some of the dentists stated that hygienists were overpaid for what little they do!! Also, that hygienist's educational level does not justify their pay, and etc!! One dentist even posted that the market is flooded with hygienists in some areas and still the wages aren't coming down! Was this the plan?? Set-up dozens of hygiene schools in each state, flood the market to drive wages down? Scary!

YEs...that was exactly the plan....flood the market with tons of 'strip mall Dental Hygiene Schools' and pump out thousands too many DH grads who will fight with each other for scraps from the Dentist offering a couple of days here and there.....200 resumes in a drawer for one position and they can offer whatever low ball wage they feel like. While I say this, I also want to say there are some Dentists who are awesome.....value their hygienists and won't be going for the quick cheap labor. They'll appreciate good thorough work and stay the course......

59 months ago

smile in Calgary, Alberta said: If RDHs get paid too much for what they do then dentists charge too much for what RDHs do.

Hi Smile in Calgary,
The sad thing is that the fees charged for dental hygiene services will still be as high as ever....the DDS will simply pay the DH less for doing the services. CHEAP LABOR means even more income going to the dentist----just a higher cut. (they WON'T charge less for DH fees)

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

59 months ago

Hi rojordh, So sorry to read how much you are struggling to obtain work! It is a very scary time for many rdh's, me included. For the past 7 months I have been commuting 115 miles 1 way to work, staying in a hotel for $1250 a month and was laid-off for a year before that. So I know how desperate you must feel. I paid the hotel bill to avoid an apt lease and good thing I did as I just got cut from 5 days a week to 1 or 2 and one of those is a half day. I had a phone interview tonight and it sounds positive but it's 175 miles from home. $225 a day. No benefits, no pay when dr is off or on vacation. But is 4 days a week and he said he won't tell me to clock out when pt's fail. Hygiene is a hot mess right now and I look for it to get worse. This dr told me he has had over 200 resumes in 4 days and even from out of state. He knew 4 of the dds on my resume and said he just cannot believe what some of his colleagues are doing to promote their own wealth at the expense of their hygienist. He said he doesn't believe in the lack of ethics going on. So there are still some out there worth searching for. I'm getting registered for nursing next week and I wish you the very best whatever you choose to do.

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

59 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Hi rojordh, So sorry to read how much you are struggling to obtain work! It is a very scary time for many rdh's, me included. For the past 7 months I have been commuting 115 miles 1 way to work, staying in a hotel for $1250 a month and was laid-off for a year before that. So I know how desperate you must feel. I paid the hotel bill to avoid an apt lease and good thing I did as I just got cut from 5 days a week to 1 or 2 and one of those is a half day. I had a phone interview tonight and it sounds positive but it's 175 miles from home. $225 a day. No benefits, no pay when dr is off or on vacation. But is 4 days a week and he said he won't tell me to clock out when pt's fail. Hygiene is a hot mess right now and I look for it to get worse. This dr told me he has had over 200 resumes in 4 days and even from out of state. He knew 4 of the dds on my resume and said he just cannot believe what some of his colleagues are doing to promote their own wealth at the expense of their hygienist. He said he doesn't believe in the lack of ethics going on. So there are still some out there worth searching for. I'm getting registered for nursing next week and I wish you the very best whatever you choose to do.

Hi Suzanne, How did the phone interview go? I hope you get the job! My Thurs.'s schedule fell apart...older patients and the weather has been brutal....VERY humid , even when the temp. is only around 80...learning more computer materials at one of my offices, this should help hopefully, to obtain more offices or set days....easily 100+ resumes for any job, no matter where it's found up here too! Anything further on the .....OM and RDH who is unable to do anything (with 8 yrs....of)?? Corp. sending anyone out to speak and watch the OM and shennanigan's? I think if they saw the childish nature of these empl's they would give ....to.... IMO. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDH in Vancouver, Washington

58 months ago

this is not true!!! 15-20 postings everyday??? are you sure you live in Portland Oregon?

worriedRDH in Portland, Oregon

58 months ago

Why are there so many dental hygiene schools in the Portland and Vancouver areas???? There were already 4 (right?) and now Apollo College at the Lloyd Center Mall??? A hygiene school at the mall, real classy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

worriedRDH in Portland, Oregon

57 months ago

Ashly in Silverton, Oregon said: My boyfriend and I live together and plan to get married once I graduate. He is an electrician and makes pretty good money; I never planned on working more then a couple of days a week anyways and I figure I will be able to find a job doing that even if it is 1 day in 1 office and another day in a different office. I do think it's unfortunate that hygiene has became so saturated. It used to be a rewarding career because it was SO competitive to get into the schools (as there use to be few schools in a state and each school only accepted a few students a year) now that is completely different. There was a need for hygienists at one time so they thought it would be a good idea to open a bunch of schools, I don't know if that's the real reasoning just my guess. But, to get back on track: I am doing it because Dental Hygiene is the only thing I've ever even considered doing. I actually work in an office as bookkeeper now; I make pretty good money and have pretty good job security, but I can never take a week vacation because nobody would be able to fill in and do my job. If I don't work nobody gets paid. That is one of the reasons I like Dental Hygiene because I am not depended upon, I can take vacations if I want. I could even not work for a month at a time if I felt like it....

Ummm maybe you should research the career a little more. As a dental hygienist you are depended on in your office. You can't just take a month off whenever you feel like it. Lol! I suppose this would work if you are temping, but with temping some weeks are good, and some you don't work at all. If you are making good money I would stick with what you are doing now. Dental hygiene is not a good career to be in right now. Especially in this area.

DH2008 in Medford, Oregon

56 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: YEs...that was exactly the plan....flood the market with tons of 'strip mall Dental Hygiene Schools' and pump out thousands too many DH grads who will fight with each other for scraps from the Dentist offering a couple of days here and there.....200 resumes in a drawer for one position and they can offer whatever low ball wage they feel like. While I say this, I also want to say there are some Dentists who are awesome.....value their hygienists and won't be going for the quick cheap labor. They'll appreciate good thorough work and stay the course......

This is very true, I live in Medford oregon and I work for a very caring dentist which value my work.

Kate in Portland, Oregon

55 months ago

port1947 in Beaverton, Oregon said: There are currently no hygienist jobs in portland! The market is totally flooded. I have sent out over 100 resumes and applied for every job on craigslist and have had no luck. Jobs on craigslist are usually about 1 every 10 days and are usually only 1 day per week. Good luck you'll need it

I agree. I've been looking for a job in Portland for a month now blowing through two whole boxes of resume paper with not so much as a phone call! The market is completely flooded. Do not come here if you can help it!!!!!!

Kate in Portland, Oregon

55 months ago

15-20 postings?? Where?

port1947 in Portland, Oregon

55 months ago

robrdh,

where are you seeing 15-20 postings? I don't think Kate has a bad attitude. I would call it a realistic attitude. There have been over 6 million jobs lost in United States in the last couple years. Every field has been affected, including hygiene. I think that Kate is simply discouraged after spending a great deal of time and money on an education to find a field with currently little opportunity. Try putting yourself in her shoes. It's stressful being out of work, and everyone needs to vent once in a while.

RDH in Longview, Washington

54 months ago

WOW!! I wish I would have known how hard it was going to be to get a dental hygiene job in the Portland/Vancouver area. I moved to Washington from Phoenix, Arizona 8 months ago and I still do not have a job even with 5+ years as a hygienist and I am licensed in both Washington and Oregon. I left a great job in Arizona making $40.00 per hour. Arizona is a great place to work...I never had a problem getting a job down there! Stay positive ladies and gentlemen...this too shall pass:) Count your blessings!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDH in Longview, Washington

54 months ago

Kate in Portland, Oregon said: 15-20 postings?? Where?

Yes, please tell me where these postings are? I see an average of 1-2 a week!

lisa8407 in Portland, Oregon

54 months ago

This is so frustrating. I'm a new RDH grad, 2008. I worked for 18 months and was laid off April 2010. For the last 8 months I have scoured the Internet and have applied for the few jobs that are posted. I've had a few interviews with no call backs. I'm 26 years old people, newly married, waisting my life, my brain, my skills and my time. At my wits end, I have begun to volunteer in the dental field a bit, not only to get myself out of the house but to network a bit as well. Nothing. I hate Portland as a job market and as a hygienist. It's a wonderful city to live in, but we are over saturated with RDH's. There are now over a half a dozen DH schools in my area alone including a few "get your degree in 2 years" schools, that makes my blood boil. DON"T YOU SEE WE HAVE ENOUGH HYGIENISTS?!? Because of the economy nobody is retiring, and I don't blame them! At a time like this I would hold onto my job for dear life too. BTW Don't insult the 10 going on 11% of the unemployed individuals in OR saying there are 15-20 job postings. It's hard to stay positive, it's hard to smile, it's hard to pay the bills...but yes you positive and cherry ones are right...this too shall pass. It's not happening fast enough. Where is my American Dream I worked so hard for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

54 months ago

Yes, this too shall pass as far as the economy. But when it's all said and done, there are still excess hygienists with more graduating every year. There are not enough dentists graduating to utilize the number of hygienists already in the job search pool, let alone a few thousand more. Be rosy and optimistic. Not all of us can be realists.

Michelle in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Plenty of jobs here in Texas. Still very competitive!

Michelle in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Plenty here in Texas for denytal hygiene

53 months ago

lisa8407 in Portland, Oregon said: This is so frustrating. I'm a new RDH grad, 2008. I worked for 18 months and was laid off April 2010. For the last 8 months I have scoured the Internet and have applied for the few jobs that are posted. I've had a few interviews with no call backs. I'm 26 years old people, newly married, waisting my life, my brain, my skills and my time. At my wits end, I have begun to volunteer in the dental field a bit, not only to get myself out of the house but to network a bit as well. Nothing. I hate Portland as a job market and as a hygienist. It's a wonderful city to live in, but we are over saturated with RDH's. There are now over a half a dozen DH schools in my area alone including a few "get your degree in 2 years" schools, that makes my blood boil. DON"T YOU SEE WE HAVE ENOUGH HYGIENISTS?!? Because of the economy nobody is retiring, and I don't blame them! At a time like this I would hold onto my job for dear life too. BTW Don't insult the 10 going on 11% of the unemployed individuals in OR saying there are 15-20 job postings. It's hard to stay positive, it's hard to smile, it's hard to pay the bills...but yes you positive and cherry ones are right...this too shall pass. It's not happening fast enough. Where is my American Dream I worked so hard for?

Lisa,
As a relatively new grad, you have spoken from your heart as to the reality of the result of the EXCESSIVE number of dental hygiene programs spewing out far too many DHs for the workforce. It is SO UNFAIR and I am so sorry to hear of your story. THe explosion of DH schools in your area is insane though---honestly INSANE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

lisa8407 in Portland, Oregon said: This is so frustrating. I'm a new RDH grad, 2008. I worked for 18 months and was laid off April 2010. For the last 8 months I have scoured the Internet and have applied for the few jobs that are posted. I've had a few interviews with no call backs. I'm 26 years old people, newly married, waisting my life, my brain, my skills and my time. At my wits end, I have begun to volunteer in the dental field a bit, not only to get myself out of the house but to network a bit as well. Nothing. I hate Portland as a job market and as a hygienist. It's a wonderful city to live in, but we are over saturated with RDH's. There are now over a half a dozen DH schools in my area alone including a few "get your degree in 2 years" schools, that makes my blood boil. DON"T YOU SEE WE HAVE ENOUGH HYGIENISTS?!? Because of the economy nobody is retiring, and I don't blame them! At a time like this I would hold onto my job for dear life too. BTW Don't insult the 10 going on 11% of the unemployed individuals in OR saying there are 15-20 job postings. It's hard to stay positive, it's hard to smile, it's hard to pay the bills...but yes you positive and cherry ones are right...this too shall pass. It's not happening fast enough. Where is my American Dream I worked so hard for?

The more I read these kinds of stories, the more I think this is a case of FRAUD that so many DH programs have been set up and are telling people there are tons of jobs, etc. It truly is FRAUDULENT BEHAVIOUR to suggest that dozens of DH schools pumping out thousands of DH grads "will get jobs upon graduation". I wish a bunch of students could unite and sue these colleges for misrepresentation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

need job in Vancouver, Washington

53 months ago

totally agree!

fitchc

53 months ago

What is interesting is I am registered to start my prereqs in DH and when i met with the professor of DH she said why do you want to go into the field and I said the money of course and stability. Dead Wrong! Two of my friends have great DH jobs with great pay but one has been cut down from 6 days to 4-5. The other friend has her job 30 yrs and workd 3 full days with benefits. Thats all fine and dandy but....the professor told me that students are complaining in NY mind you that jobs are scarce and they are only finding part time positions, without guarantees of longevity, no benefits, 401K etc. At least by the time I complete my prereqs I can decide whether to go into nursing because it is the same prereqs...I just want a job that gives me plenty of opportunity to make as much money as possible with a nice retirement package and DH seems not to be it right now. I hope it gets better. :(

NoJobsinPDX in Vancouver, Washington

53 months ago

There are NO jobs in the Vancouver/Portland area. I wouldn't recommend going into hygiene at this time at all. Many rdh friends of mine are working at malls and restaurants...it's ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.