How long did you take off for maternity leave?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Stacy in Augusta, Georgia

12 months ago

I'm just so curious to see what others do (or were allowed to). I agree that no one has a CLUE how physically exhausting hygiene is; especially while pregnant! How much ti e did you take off for your maternity leave. I am already stressing about not getting paid for a month. I also don't like the idea of putting a baby into childcare at 6 weeks, since husband works FT :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

12 months ago

Do you have any family nearby to help with the care of your newborn? If you do, offer to pay or do things for them. If your husband works ft, why are you so concerned about the money situation? Would your office consider less time at work or cutback to one day for a little while? I understand your wanting to get back to work, esp. with the precarious situation of oversaturation in our field....but, what options have you...can you give us any other info. as to your circumstances without ?'s being to invasive...also, another suggestion, if you have friends that would be willing to help care for your infant, that might give you piece of mind. If it were me, I would want to be there fro 3 months at least to be able to have a routine....what does your employer say about your time off and that you are a valued employee in this office....willing to allow you to come back (in writing) if you take more time off?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Augusta, Georgia

12 months ago

I don't have anyone to look after the baby while we work.Our friends also work full time with school-aged children.Most of our family is in Fl. Our household requires the two incomes; husband makes less than I do.I work in a small dental office (dental hygienist), so the FMLA does not apply. The maternity leave is 6 weeks or 8 weeks for a c-section. A co-worker told me that the office manager will want me to quit work 2 weeks prior to the due date so that there are no surprises. No big deal. But then she said that the 2 weeks before counts into my 6 weeks maternity leave. Whatttt??? So they will want me to come back 4 weeks after giving birth to a very physical job? Isint that illegal?! Another co-worker told me that she went on medical bed rest 2 weeks before, then had a c-section and the office wanted her to come back 6 weeks after which would equal 8 weeks total but she fought them and they backed off. But that was 10 years ago.

The best solution is to talk to my office manager but I'm scared what she will say! What if I have to go on bed rest for a month before, are they going to expect me to come back 2 weeks after giving biirth is scary.My work does not offer STD. I plan on working up to the day I go into labor but if somthing is wrong, what am I going to do? It just sucks that if I take more than 6 weeks even with a doctors note I still could possibly get fired. I only plan on 6 weeks but the unknown is scary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.