losing job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

beadaful in Royal Oak, Michigan

63 months ago

I was let go due to downsizing in my office. Can you legally tell patients other offices you work at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

62 months ago

I would say "no". It's doesn't seem ethical to do this. Don't get in legal water doing this....is the office REALLY downsizing? for a fact? or something else going on...GL in finding another employer....will this office give you a reference? If so, that's great. GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

flygirl in Kenosha, Wisconsin

62 months ago

If your patients ask you where they can go for your service, why shouldn't you tell them? Unless you you signed something to the effect that said you would not do this, I don't see why you would have an issue, legal or otherwise.
Are you not your own best advertising?
BTW get that reference from former employer.
GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I'd be careful telling patients where YOU are going, why: because the Dr. and practice where you are presently want pt's to continue to go to them and any RDH's still there. Be VERY careful in telling pt's...if you do and they accidentally slip, the office staff, etc...can make things difficult for you. Have the reference in writing when all possible. Flygirl, we talk and so do they...step and choose wisely, esp. in the place we are in now for future work opp's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

flygirl in Kenosha, Wisconsin

62 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: I'd be careful telling patients where YOU are going, why: because the Dr. and practice where you are presently want pt's to continue to go to them and any RDH's still there. Be VERY careful in telling pt's...if you do and they accidentally slip, the office staff, etc...can make things difficult for you. Have the reference in writing when all possible. Flygirl, we talk and so do they...step and choose wisely, esp. in the place we are in now for future work opp's.

Thanks friend, for the advice. In my quest to help people with the search for employment and a living, I sometimes forget myself.

62 months ago

flygirl, We as RDH's have to think about the consequences of "slips" by pt's if we choose to let them know where we will be working.... = blackballing. I know you mean well, so I hear what you are saying. The market for us is SO tight now, that it's sad it's happening...take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Connecticut

50 months ago

beadaful in Royal Oak, Michigan said: I was let go due to downsizing in my office. Can you legally tell patients other offices you work at?

I would say no also because you don't want to "steal" patients from another office. Only if they are close personal friends, outside of work, would I tell them where you are going. I would just let them know, on your last day or near your last day, that you will be leaving not because you want to but because there haven't been as many hygiene appointments as there were before the recession. Or just say you have to leave for personal reasons or to focus on your other job. I wouldn't tell them where you are going or would casually just say "an office in ___town" so you didn't really tell them WHERE but they could search for you if they wanted to.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.