I'm confused..is dental hygienists a good job or Not..is it worth it or not?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1052)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

me again in Hammond, Illinois

79 months ago

DO SOMETHING ELSE! There are easier things out there! I do not know why they make hygiene programs so hard when assistants are doing half your job at half the training!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (122) Reply - Report abuse

me again in Bement, Illinois

79 months ago

It's still a "Small business" they are a business actually a HUGE money making business. I know the one I work for in a good month has $80,000+ in production in ONE month! They could never pay cash!!! LOL They just do not have to abide by rules that big business with 50 employees our more have to when it comes to employees. I suppose you could file discrimnation but you probably would not get anywhere.I did sub once on a cash only basis, that was way back when. I am sure there are good DDS around don't get me wrong, I just am bitter about the job itself and it's "dead end opportunities". Well this discussion has been nice. But I am logging out of it! Classes are back in session and gotta focus. Take care and good luck with your future decision!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

the outcome of being a dental hygienists in Bronx, New York

79 months ago

thanks and good luck to you too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

SHELLEY GRAHAM in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

the outcome of being a dental hygienists in Bronx, New York said: I have read this form and some people are complaining about being a dental hygienist ,I go to Hostos,Bronx community for dental hygiene and it is not easy,it is hard.the passing score is 75 and that is only 2.0 C,so do the math and see how hard is this crap,
I'm not sure if it is worth it..I heard people complaining about dental hyginist..I remmber 2 months ago I applied online just out of curiosity and the dentist hired me before he even saw me and he offer me 38/h ,so I was shocked.and now I hear people complaining and saying hygienest makes no money..I'm a male Not a female..so Don't know if this a good think or a bad think.I know dentist prefer female unless they are gays.then may be they prefer male.loll.By the way.I'm not gay.and no offend to other gays.get back to the subject.I wanna hear from dental hygienists who works in the filed and their experience only in nyc,thanks

DENTAL HYGIENE CAN BE A VERY REWARDING PROFESSION...IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. I HAVE BEEN A HYGIENIST FOR 22 YEARS AND LOVE IT MORE TODAY THAN I DID WHEN I STARTED. I MAKE GREAT MONEY AND HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PROVIDE FOR MYSELF AND MY 10 YEAR OLD SON. THE ONLY DRAW BACK I HAVE ENCOUNTERED IS THE LACK OF BENEFITS AND RETIREMENT PLANNING. THE EMPLOYER CAN BE THE BIGGEST FACTOR IN HOW MUCH YOU ENJOY YOUR PROFESSION ON A DAY-TO-DAY BASIS. IF YOU WORK IN AN OFFICE THAT IS OWNED BY A GOOD EMPLOYER YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH DENTAL HYGIENE. IF YOU CHOOSE A BAD ONE, GET OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE OR THEY WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

Hey, I'm in the NYC area too, and I want to get into Dental Hygiene. I'm also curious about Dental Hygienists in the NYC area, but also having a lot of trouble with that. NYC has a lot of dentists, therefore you would think there a more job opportunities for Dental Hygienists.

Hopefully I can come in contact with a few Dental Hygienists and Dentists throughout the Five boroughs and ask lots of questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

doctor cohen in Bronx, New York

79 months ago

amanda what school you go too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

Hi Dr. Cohen, I go to CUNY Hunter College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

doctor cohen in Bronx, New York

79 months ago

Hunter is good but if I'm not mistaken they have only 4yr program not 2 yrs..how much are the fees for 4 years..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

Hi

I wanted to become a dental hygienist and hopefully relocate to the US as I am from Canada and the market is oversaturated here we have lots of private schools and the market is difficult would it be worthwhile to do it and relocate to the US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

thinker in Bronx, New York

78 months ago

So.are you saying that you can not find a full time job? and even if you do it will wear you out? well..there is no going back I guess.Im male and in my last yr so what do you suggest...I was thinking of holding 2 jobs...one as dh fll time..36 hours a week and another one weekend somewhere else...I also wanna teach.,I wanna have my BA to teach.is thios better and secure job..then working under a dentist?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Rock Hill, South Carolina

78 months ago

I am really confused about what program I want to go through in college. I want go for Dental Hygiene but I heard it was really hard. I heard they make good money though and I hear lots of good things and bad things about it. What should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

to katie in Bronx, New York

78 months ago

if you are female and fit specialy if yu are blond go for it.U will be spoiled and hired on the spot..no skills required expect for ur licence

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

Hygiene voice of reason in New York, New York

78 months ago

"I have yet to meet any RDH that works a full 40 hrs! It is physically impossible!"

I just want to clear up any confusion about this comment; I work 40 hours a week in NYC, and have done so for many years. I continue to find dental hygiene both personally and professionally rewarding, I have a 401K and medical through my employer. I also find a salary discrepancy; $38/hr is a long outdated rate for hygiene in NYC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Toni in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I am a dental hygiene student that will be graduating in May. I have found my education to be very challenging but I am also going through the program while being a mother of a six and three year old. I have been able to maintain a grade point average well above the required 75%. I definately think the program is worth it but it depends on what you are looking for in a career. You would be hard pressed to find a better paying career with a two year education. In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania the hygienists that graduated in 2007 have started at about $30/hour with benefits and $34/hour without benefits. This is decent pay considering the cost of living here. My main advice is that school can be miserable but keep your head up. Actually, the worst part of the program is finding your own patients (if your school requires that). Once you improve your skills it becomes more enjoyable. You also get that patient once in awhile that really appreciates what you do and that goes a long way. Keep in mind that when you are looking for a job you can request a working interview. You can actually get paid to work a week or two in an office while you and the employer decide if you are a good fit. This is a great way to test the waters with out making a commitment that you regret. Also remember there is a high burn out rate in any job where you are serving others. True you can not do much else with a dental hygiene degree but changes will eventaully have to be made to keep up with the demand of dental care that is needed by the community. You can also get your Associate's degree and work while you obtain your Bachelor's in another health related, administrative, or management field. Most transfer Bachelor's programs can be done on-line and this would allow you the opportunity to use your dental hygiene knowlede in other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas Hewitt in Brooklyn, New York

78 months ago

so how does this work? i thought you just did your 2yrs and then you become a dental hygienist. now im hearing license and dental hygiene school its confusing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Toni in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Thomas Hewitt in Brooklyn, New York said: so how does this work? i thought you just did your 2yrs and then you become a dental hygienist. now im hearing license and dental hygiene school its confusing.

I am not sure how it works where you will be attending school but the college I am attending requires several prerequisites be completed before you can even apply for entrance into the dental hygiene program. After acceptance into the program you then begin the "clinical" portion of your education. This consists of actual hands on clinic time and additional dental hygiene related courses(Perio, Radiology, Pharmacology, etc.). The clinical portion of your education takes two years in addition to the prerequisites for a total of 81 credits (a few more credits than the traditional associate's degree). After successful completion of the program you would then sit for your board examinations. When you pass the boards you may then apply for your license. Every state and school may vary it is best to contact someone in the department in the school you would be attending for specific information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

oh ok. now another thing, im a guy...i heard its a woman's field, other people say don't worry go for it, i mean its seems safe to say that there are more male hygienists than male nurses. what are the job prospects for a guy??? what's the truth???? because i really don't want to waste 2yrs of my time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hygiene voice of reason in New York, New York

78 months ago

You can not do the entire program online because it requires 2 years of clinical course work. You can do pre-reqs and some of the classes towards the Bachelor degree online, but you have to be on campus for those clinical years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 something hygienist in Victoria, Texas

78 months ago

The beauty of dental hygiene is that you have the option to seek full time employment or part time. Most private practices are open 4 to 4.5 days a week. I have worked full time and I have worked as little as a half day per week. Also there's the option of working one day here, two days there....even doing temp work for hygienists out on maternity leave, sick leave, vacations. So think "flexibility" when you are considering dental hygiene. Everything, including dental hygiene, has a down side...but this aspect of the profession is definitely a plus!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Englishtown, New Jersey

78 months ago

Haven't worked in almost 20 years as a hygienist in NJ and have let my license expire. I know that I have to take a refresher course (I found on that is a 40 hour course on line with 16 hours practical onsite)... does anyone know if I have to take both the written and clinical portions of the exam again; or just the clinical?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

izdisguy4real in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

lee from jersey in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey said: i graduated in 1974 with an aa in dental hygiene...so, 30 years in dental hygiene...i've read the comments here. I agree and disagree. For a male, I would say that it is not a good profession. You would have to work full time to support a family. And even at full time, at $38 an hr, your making $50,000. Not enough to live in ny or nj. No one could do this job full time until your retirement age...it'll wear you down in everyway. There will be no promotions...Your job will be the same day in and day out. This is a very good profession for a female who wants to add to her family income 1,2 3 days a week. At $38 an hr, that translates to $10,000 a year for every day you work. I've worked in this field mostly part time and yes it has worked for me on that basis. I was there to raise my son the majority of the time and yet add to the family income without much stress. I hope this is food for thought.

hmmmm, slow day in the aerosppace world today, sicne it's President's Day...anyways, excuse my ignorance as I have no experience in the dental industry as I manage govt contracts but can you define fulltime? By my math: (38x40)x52 = $79K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

the guy who manages government contracts really makes a good point

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

78 months ago

izdisguy4real in Los Angeles, California said: hmmmm, slow day in the aerosppace world today, sicne it's President's Day...anyways, excuse my ignorance as I have no experience in the dental industry as I manage govt contracts but can you define fulltime? By my math: (38x40)x52 = $79K

full time for DH is usually 4 days (32 hours a week)--most offices close about 3 weeks a year (with no paid vacation)
that is $59,584---i guess her math was a litte off or her office closes more often

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

izdisguy4real in Bethpage, New York

78 months ago

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia said: full time for DH is usually 4 days (32 hours a week)--most offices close about 3 weeks a year (with no paid vacation)
that is $59,584---i guess her math was a litte off or her office closes more often

Ok, now that breaks it down and now makes sense to me. That said and having friends that are dentists (as there is one here in Beverly Hills around every corner) my understanding is they also get a percentage of production, I would assume that holds partially true for dental hygenists, correct? I guess curiosity peeks my interest because the whole $59K seems low to me given a location such as NY where the sallary range comparison is the same if not higher than this area. I guess I continue to pursue some more clarity as I have always been intrigued about how much dental hygenists make relative to dentist given the HUGE educational gap. So far all your comments have been well received. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Manhattan hygienist in New York, New York

78 months ago

In Manhattan "full time" means 5 days/week and as a hygienist you can easily make six figures in the city if you work 5 days. Not all hygienist get a bonus based on production, but many do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dh in nyc manhattan in Bronx, New York

78 months ago

so what u mean by six figures? u can make over 100 a yr? how?
let is assume you work 5days...7 hours a day...5*7=35

how much u make per hour.....let is say 40
40*35=1400 a week and after taxes.u may be left with 1000 or less...

1000 every week by 52 weeks in a yr...is 52,000 so where is the six figure.I only see half of the six figure...lol...prove me wrong...
I think dental hygine get very little of money of what they produce..the suppose to get more thjan 40hour.it should a minument of 60/h

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

laura

78 months ago

I am moving to CT- how much do hygienists make on the average- hourly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

78 months ago

izdisguy4real in Bethpage, New York said: Ok, now that breaks it down and now makes sense to me. That said and having friends that are dentists (as there is one here in Beverly Hills around every corner) my understanding is they also get a percentage of production, I would assume that holds partially true for dental hygenists, correct? I guess curiosity peeks my interest because the whole $59K seems low to me given a location such as NY where the sallary range comparison is the same if not higher than this area. I guess I continue to pursue some more clarity as I have always been intrigued about how much dental hygenists make relative to dentist given the HUGE educational gap. So far all your comments have been well received. Thank you.

I don't know the salary for NYC or other areas. Here is GA (NW of Atlanta), the average hourly rate is $35 per hour. I work by the hour but I have friends who work on a true salary One girl in my area works about 37 hours a week (sometimes less but never more)and makes $70,000 per year (I am not sure how many weeks off she gets per year so I cannot calculate what what would be per hour but it is just a couple of dollars more than I make if she gets 2 weeks paid vacation per year). In this area, you can buy a small home for $100,000 but our area has neighborhoods with homes for a few million dollars. If you consider the cost of living, that is not a bad salary. My friend and I both live about 4 miles from our job (it takes about 6 - 7 minutes to get there). If you also factor in gas prices, we are doing pretty good. I am married but she is a single mother and we both do just fine. DH can be different in parts of the country but here is sunny Georgia, we are doing just fine.
As far as a percentage of production, you either get a hourly rate OR 25-30% of production. I have worked both ways and I ended up making about the same. Although you make more per hour with production, when you have a "no show" you make $0

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hell No in Bronx, New York

78 months ago

I heard dental hyginesit can be sued if they make a mistake or something is this true.do u hold any type of mal practice insurance or something.whether in school or work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Apex, North Carolina

77 months ago

I am 16, and I want to get into dental hygine. Im still only in the ninth grade, but I am thinking about my future more than anythig else. I want a good life for myself, better than the one my parents have given me. And I want to know what grades should I be making? What schools should I try to get into? And what classes are all required?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Your Friend in Brooklyn, New York

77 months ago

wow you a lil behind to be 16 and to be in 9th grade. i wanna be a dental hygenist too. just study. in all your classes. thats what i plan to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

worst nightmare in the bronx has the best answer in history he is right 101% right any kind of physical talent like acting singing sports modeling beats education any day of the week in any country on earth any month of the year but it takes nex level talent and not everyone is going to have that in fact 90% of people on planet dont have it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in York, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

to katie in Bronx, New York said: if you are female and fit specialy if yu are blond go for it.U will be spoiled and hired on the spot..no skills required expect for ur licence

No skills required. I am sorry but I have to disagree with this I am in my last semester in dental hygiene school about to gradute in May and I know for a fact that no office if going to hire you just because your blonde. Dental Hygiene is a very intense course and if you think someone can just take to board exams with no skills and pass, you are sadly mistaken. And I am offended by the comment I worked my ass off in this program and I know someone with no skills could come into our clinic and do our jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

your wrost night mare in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

(what do you mean by this(I am offended by the comment I worked my ass off in this program and I know someone with no skills could come into our clinic and do our jobs! thanks thomas Hewitt in Brooklyn, New York,it is true man.Im free nyc as
well,If I can go backto past tense.I would go for boxing.making all that cash or UFC.anything with money.who cared if they break my jaws,I can buy a new one with money..lol..and it is our parents mistake.I wont do the same with my chidren.i will build for sports$$$$$$$$$$$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Edmonds, Washington

77 months ago

Hygiene voice of reason in New York, New York said: "I have yet to meet any RDH that works a full 40 hrs! It is physically impossible!"

I just want to clear up any confusion about this comment; I work 40 hours a week in NYC, and have done so for many years. I continue to find dental hygiene both personally and professionally rewarding, I have a 401K and medical through my employer. I also find a salary discrepancy; $38/hr is a long outdated rate for hygiene in NYC.

WOW!
THat is completely outdated!
I live outside of Seattle and the starting rate just for temping is $42-45/hr. But most of the hygienists I know working in private practice make about $50/hr.
My friend was offered to go back to her perio office after hygiene school fulltime for $65/hr...but i don't know anyone that would would want F/T in perio..ouch....maybe P/T.
That is ridiculous for NYC's cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

C in Burlington, Ontario

76 months ago

the west coast pays more...ontario wage stats are 32-35/hr t.o. pays a little more. I went on a few interviews and I was offered 30-32 (for 2 yr hygienist, with 7 yrs dental assisting experience). I can't believe that! I find the new grads take the lower wage and lower the industry pay rate. Stay strong new grads...you can make more money temping if you get a good agency...40-43/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

C,

The wages in Toronto are low you will not be offered anything over 35 to start first and foremost their are too many unemployed hygienest in TO

Maybe your mixing things up with Burlington.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shazammer

76 months ago

I have worked as a hygienist, part time, full time, temp, wages, commission in 60 offices over 45 years. I thank God everyday that I have this profession. All these questions about salary and what everyone is making takes away from the professionalism that is needed to do this work. It is too hard to do JUST FOR THE MONEY. It is necessary to maintain continuing education credits every year you are licensed. You can not do this profession unless you are dedicated to the patient not to the DOLLAR.

You have to have a personality that is flexible, compassionate and you have to have the intelligence to tackle the heavy courses that are required. This is a profession heavy in the sciences and if you do not like the health field and all that it requires do yourself a favor and seek a future elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Meagan in Moody, Texas

76 months ago

I live in Temple, Texas and i totally agree with you. Most of all the comments are so negative and rude. NO ONE ON HERE should be telling people that they should not be a Dental Hygienist. If that is what they would like to be then that is okay. How bout some people start posting helpful things instead of just being rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan

76 months ago

Peter Konieczny in Scarborough, Ontario said: The wages for dental hygienists in Canada are like other professions, are heavily influenced by supply and demand. In the Toronto area, we have quite a lot of dental hygienists, and this has led to too many people competing for too few jobs, and thus lower salaries. But in other parts of Canada, like Alberta and BC, there is a lot of demand for hygienists, and one could command a great salary. Another important part dealing with Ontario is that regulations are now in effect that allow hygienists to open their own practice and don't have to be supervised by a dentist. This will allow a lot of hygienists to start their own business and become very profitable.
I think if you are considering dental hygiene as a career, you will have to think very hard about how much you want to relocate to find a job.

I'm taking dental hygiene in michigan but planning on relocating to Toronto. is it really that hard to find a job, especially with good pay right now? and I know in Colorado hygienists can open their own practice, how close is ontario to regulating this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in California in Bell, California

76 months ago

dh in nyc manhattan in Bronx, New York said: so what u mean by six figures? u can make over 100 a yr? how?
let is assume you work 5days...7 hours a day...5*7=35

how much u make per hour.....let is say 40
40*35=1400 a week and after taxes.u may be left with 1000 or less...

1000 every week by 52 weeks in a yr...is 52,000 so where is the six figure.I only see half of the six figure...lol...prove me wrong...
I think dental hygine get very little of money of what they produce..the suppose to get more thjan 40hour.it should a minument of 60/h

I'm sorry to hear the salaries are so low out there. You are professional hands-on clinicians and should be demanding a salary that reflects that. Here in California the average salary is $50.00 an hour with various benefits and SEP plans. It is a difficult job, but if you care about your patients and their periodontal health it is also very rewarding. Obviously the compensation in Manhattan exceeds $40.00 if one can bring in "6 figures". (Saturdays can be available too).... I graduated from USC School of Dentistry in 1985.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

suzanne in Menasha, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan said: I'm taking dental hygiene in michigan but planning on relocating to Toronto. is it really that hard to find a job, especially with good pay right now? and I know in Colorado hygienists can open their own practice, how close is ontario to regulating this?

The previous post about hygienists "making a lot of money " by going into practice for themselves is off the mark. The BIG money in dentistry is the operative, not the preventive.
Once a person is in the red by outfitting an operatory or two, and then can only charge for prophies, mayabe xrays, maybe some root planing, there just is NO big money involved here. Autonomy, yes, big money, NO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in College Station, Texas

76 months ago

Hi Meagan from Temple, Tx. Since you are already in the program, you might be able to help me. Also, all the recent DH students who graduated pls share ur opinions. I love dental Hygiene-mainly cuz it's less stressy & has flexible schedule compared to nursing. Smile is the most important for a person & i love when i help fix dat problem. Right now I am in the nursing school and thinking of switching to DH cuz I think nsg aint for me. But before I make this tough decision I would like to know lil more on DH. Is it really hard,do u study in depth level of cells, tissues?How is pathology class cuz dat sounds scary? For pharmacology for DH-do u study only the drugs related to oral; how is that pharm class different from other health professions? Each sem, which is the hardest class. Please tell me the good things n bad things u know when u r in the program so that I can have a clearer view. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in College Station, Texas

76 months ago

Also tell me abt peridontolgy n community nsg classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

L.L in Broomfield, Colorado

76 months ago

Sonia in College Station, Texas said: Hi Meagan from Temple, Tx. Since you are already in the program, you might be able to help me. Also, all the recent DH students who graduated pls share ur opinions. I love dental Hygiene-mainly cuz it's less stressy & has flexible schedule compared to nursing. Smile is the most important for a person & i love when i help fix dat problem. Right now I am in the nursing school and thinking of switching to DH cuz I think nsg aint for me. But before I make this tough decision I would like to know lil more on DH. Is it really hard,do u study in depth level of cells, tissues?How is pathology class cuz dat sounds scary? For pharmacology for DH-do u study only the drugs related to oral; how is that pharm class different from other health professions? Each sem, which is the hardest class. Please tell me the good things n bad things u know when u r in the program so that I can have a clearer view. Thanks!!

I went through 2 years of hygiene school. The first semester isn't so hard. YOu learn the dental anatomy of the neck up including oral. Second semester is when people were getting kicked out. Pharmacology I would have to say its the toughest. Why? Lots of memorization. I would spend countless hours studying for each exam. Though I did get an A, but one other class had to get a B' due to my focus on Pharm. Also you'll learn anesthesia and all that. But that will be depending on where you're from. Colorado you are allowed to give injections with a dentist in the building but not having to be physically there. Good thing about Hygiene is you can work good hours. Meaning during the day time and still get a good salary/hour pay. As for nursing, I know some girls getting about 25 bucks an hour... Thats nothing comparing to Hygiene. I graduated last year, and I make 37 an hour. I work roughly 60hrs two weeks. And get about 3000 after taxes. This would be 3 days a week and every other saturday. I like it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

L.L in Broomfield, Colorado

76 months ago

Continuing...

Nursing to make more you have to bend over backwards and sacrifice certain days to work... Such as night shifts etc. As i was saying, I make about 3000 a month after taxes, and it leaves me thur-sunday working my second job. I'm still young, and right now just working double time to save up for retirement. I know i'll burn out faster, but I know i'll get my loans paid of quicker and more savings. My income with hygiene is roughly 3200 a month after taxes depending on the calander month. I'm content with that and love it! So those who want to get into hygiene... I say go for it... You'll never know if you don't try!!!
HOw many 20 yr olds can make 35+ an hour right outta two year college? None... I had girls in my class that barely turned 21 and got a good job in hygiene... So girls... Go for it!!! YOu can always do others things on the side! Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

L.L in Colorado I dont know if you will see this but I hav 3 questions hopefully you can answer all 3 -how are you an RN and you are making 36k a yr? RN's are known to make 60+k and -are you an RN as well as a DH? and -is this really something that guys can do because I heard that they are not likely to get hired because this industry favors girls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

L.L in Denver, Colorado

76 months ago

RN- Starts out about 25-30 dollars an hour, depending on experience I guesss... but usually fresh out in Colorado its about mid 20's. I have a friend who only makes about 26 an hour and just graduated. And no, i am not a RN. Just DH. RN can make about 60k, but you have to work up, and work OT and graveyard shift. With that, you can exceed. But its tough. You always have to work your way up. Third, GUYS CAN DO IT TOO. No such thing as favoring over Girls. Unless the Doc is a sleeze. You know a good DH'er if you see one. Regardless of their gender. I had a class mate that was a male. He has two offices that he work at. His doc love him!!! Cause its nice to have a man to man talk sometimes lols. but yeah he loves it... And he gets a lot of attention because Males are beginining to get into a "so called" female dominated job... Look at us and the men's jobs... There are female dentist out there... Good luck and hope that answered all your questions!!! Let me know if you need anything else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

76 months ago

L.L in Broomfield, Colorado said: I went through 2 years of hygiene school. The first semester isn't so hard. YOu learn the dental anatomy of the neck up including oral. Second semester is when people were getting kicked out. Pharmacology I would have to say its the toughest. Why? Lots of memorization. I would spend countless hours studying for each exam. Though I did get an A, but one other class had to get a B' due to my focus on Pharm. Also you'll learn anesthesia and all that. But that will be depending on where you're from. Colorado you are allowed to give injections with a dentist in the building but not having to be physically there. Good thing about Hygiene is you can work good hours. Meaning during the day time and still get a good salary/hour pay. As for nursing, I know some girls getting about 25 bucks an hour... Thats nothing comparing to Hygiene. I graduated last year, and I make 37 an hour. I work roughly 60hrs two weeks. And get about 3000 after taxes. This would be 3 days a week and every other saturday. I like it

I was deciding between dental assisting and dental hygiene. I have heard many stories from assistants who do alot of work but do not get paid for it and they say how the dentists be talking to them like the do not know anything... It seems Dental hygiene may be better than dental assisting....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

L.L in Denver, Colorado

76 months ago

I would have to agree... I work with 3 DA's and they do a lot of the dental work... And not paid nearly as much... What I love about hygiene is you work independantly and not side by side with the doctor... So you make your own judgement of things unless you dont know or if it requires a Doctor....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.