Males in Dental Hygiene

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Bruno in Albany, Georgia

70 months ago

Iam a 26 year old black male . I will be applying to middle georgia technical college for the dental hygiene program in a few months. I would like any information and feedback that anyone can offer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tsmytht in Atlanta, Georgia

70 months ago

Bruno in Albany, Georgia said: Iam a 26 year old black male . I will be applying to middle georgia technical college for the dental hygiene program in a few months. I would like any information and feedback that anyone can offer

I have heard it is very difficult to get into the program, you must have very good grades, and when you complete the program there is virtually no jobs out there. I was considering a dental hygiene school in Atlanta and all the forums I have been reading say not a good idea!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

male hygienist in Stockton, California

69 months ago

Being a RDH, is great, fat paycheck, easy hours, fun. going on 2yrs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

female RDH in Gainesville, Georgia

69 months ago

Bruno in Albany, Georgia said: Iam a 26 year old black male . I will be applying to middle georgia technical college for the dental hygiene program in a few months. I would like any information and feedback that anyone can offer

Hard to find work! Recent graduate and going on 6 months still no full time job. Part time work here and there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ella in Lynbrook, New York

69 months ago

i am not a hygienist, but belong in the dental field. i know a male hygienist, probably the only one in our area. he is actually a teacher, but works weekends and late hours. as much as patients go into a shock sometimes at first - whoever saw a male hygienist! - most of them love him!!! when i worked with him, most patients - especially kids - would ask to see him again. he is a fantastic hygienist and being a male in this profession i think only puts him on a higher scale. good luck to all of you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tjsmith in Hobbs, New Mexico

69 months ago

I'm also a 26 year old black male and have been working as an RDH for almost 2 years now. I must say that it was totally worth my time and money. I get paid almost 60 an hr. and im out of work by 3:30 or 4:00. I live no where near Geogia so i cant give any advice on jobs over there but i have always heard that there is and always will be a demand for hygienists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tjsmith in Hobbs, New Mexico

69 months ago

male hygienist in Stockton, California said: Being a RDH, is great, fat paycheck, easy hours, fun. going on 2yrs

Im going to be moving to the turlock area soon.. have any connections with any "fat paycheck easy hour" jobs near there?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yersalem in Fresno, California

66 months ago

can someone email me a.s.a.p that knws everythin bout da dental hygiene program, im frm california but moving to atlanta ga and i need to knw everything bout the dental hygiene program and what classes i need to take and if its hard to get in.. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BM in Raymond, New Hampshire

66 months ago

male hygienist in Stockton, California said: Being a RDH, is great, fat paycheck, easy hours, fun. going on 2yrs

You are fortunate to have found an ideal practice and Dentist to work for and appropriate time in your schedule for prophy's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mehedi in Astoria, New York

49 months ago

hi i would like to know that the dental hygiene is really a good for a male students?? whts the different between male and female in this field but i heard dental is a good field for money with ASS college degree. plz any1 who can tell me..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

49 months ago

I am a male hygienist. Sometimes the patients think I am the dentist. I find patients take me more seriously sometimes compared to the females hygienists. Most offices are filled with females with maybe a male dentist or no males at all. If you think you are comfortable with this then you will be okay.

Studies show that most hygiene careers last on avg 7yr. It may be quick money for a while but many people don't end up wanting to do this job for the rest of their lives.

There are literally very few jobs out there right now. Wages dropping because of this over flow of hygienists. Most hygienists work 15-30hours/wk and that is when combining 2 part-time jobs.

I make an amazing income with my job. Having a 40 hour week gets me just under 3k/wk; but then again I don't personally know any other hygienist making this much. Even though I make this much my goal is still to not be a hygienist in the long run, but to have my own business.

Most hygienists I know make 40-70k/yr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

malerdh2011 in Cantonment, Florida

40 months ago

Hi I am recent grad from rdh school I'm also a male. Does anyone know about the job market in memphis,TN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Future hygienist in Port Washington, New York

36 months ago

Does anyone know what the job market is like right now for hygienist in new york?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.