Any work in Calgary?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 101)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

frustrated RDH in Calgary, Alberta

68 months ago

I have recently returned to Calgary since my husband got posted here with the RCMP. I am currently struggling to find work as an RDH. I lived here 5 years ago and had DDS' chasing me down. Things have defitely changed over the years! I have hardly even received any temp work. If anyone is looking at moving I would definitely think twice!!! If anyone knows of anybody looking for a RDH for MON, TUES and WED please let me know. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

I've been thinking of moving to Calgary but I'm thinking of changing my mind now. I've been asking friends and family in Calgary if there are any job postings and I get the same response..nothing. Very frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

frustrated RDH in Calgary, Alberta

68 months ago

Rob in Toronto, Ontario said: I've been thinking of moving to Calgary but I'm thinking of changing my mind now. I've been asking friends and family in Calgary if there are any job postings and I get the same response..nothing. Very frustrating.

I am with the temp agencies also and the most i have gotten is 2 days in one week...the money may be good but you need to work to get it. I suggset to do some bigtime research before you make the move...very costly to live without income!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

couldn't agree more in Calgary, Alberta

68 months ago

Yup me too having a real hard time finding work in Calgary. The temp agency tells me it's because of the new grads coming from Ontario. Some legislation from our association should be done to limit to amount of new hygienist coming into the province to prevent this from happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

Something should be done to limit the number of new hygienist graduating over here... it's crazy. There's less work over here too. Public and private schools are pumping out new hygienists like no tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dh Voice in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

For those that are feeling frustrated with the market, the number of private school popping up, the flooding of the market, etc... For those that want to express their concerns so we can all find a solution... For those that want talk turn into action i.e. regulating the number of graduates allowed per year......

During my research I may have stumbled on something that may become very valuable to DH in Canada. It may be where we can send in our petition.

I would to share with you The Canadian Dental Hygienist Association website. They are a non-profit organization representing the voice and vision of DH in Canada. Read every sub-link under "About CDHA" - Our History, Our beliefs, and Why DH is important.

Then take everything you've expressed on this forum, your raw emotions, and tell the CDHA what DH need right now. Your voice and vision is important because in some way or another another DH is feeling the same way, you are not alone. We need to become more proactive for us to see a positive turn for the future of DH. Let your voice be heard.

You'll find how the NDHCE came about as well.

www.ndhcb.ca/en/about.php
www.cdha.ca/content/about_the_cdha/about_the_cdha.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arya L in Queen Creek, Arizona

68 months ago

Hello. I also live just outside Calgary. The market for DH's has dropped off this last year for sure. There is a huge influx of grads from Ontario schools. The CRDHA knows this but feels like there hands are tied because they can't turn them away. The more people who contact CRDHA and tell them that this is a problem then the faster they will be looking for solutions. I called them but they said I am the only person with this concern. I suggested that they impose a limit of the number of out of province grads with preference to degree or 20+ month programs. or impose a mandatory clinical exam with a $5000 per exam price tag and they only do exams once a year for a maximum of 20 candidates. People will think twice about going out of province to take a DH program. The problem is compounded by DA's taking a scaling module that is 4 months total but only two weeks spent scaling at a school. The greedy little dentists are loving this, well the DA's are too. CADA (College of Alberta Dental ASsistants) reported that they now have 96 'new scalers' in Alberta and will continue to pump out as many as possible. Recently we were hiring for a DH position at our office and we were inundated with resumes. We got about 50 resumes in one week and the majority (35+) were from Ontario private schools. They are willing to work for about $10 less an hour. We had a few applicants with a DH degree and they were the first ones refused because they are "too smart and closer to dentist status" and want and deserve more money. They ended up choosing a new Ontario grad because she was less money. They would have hired a DA with scaling module but she was offered about 5 jobs elsewhere. Alberta has to be very careful not to lose their DH program because why would you go to school for four years and have a decreased chance of getting a job when you can go to Ontario for 18 months and have a better chance of getting a job. It all comes down to money and greed on the part of the dentist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta

63 months ago

This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario

63 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

Do they really increase 10% per year in Calgary?
The have decreased in Ontario. New grads are getting under
30.00 per hour Billings are 49.00 per unit/close to 200 per hour. What is the current average
wage vs. billings in Calgary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Newark, Ohio

63 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

I wonder doctor....how you would feel about a drastic decrease in your salary, too. Seems to me that hygiene fees are not the only fees that are increased. Simple fillings, crown and bridge work, etc. has dramatically increased over the years, also. Maybe if you took a cut in pay, that savings could be passed along to the patients, ensuring these services are more readily available to more people, also. Just wondering how you feel about that idea.

Bottom line...we are all just simply trying to make a living here. Contrary to what you may think, I work very hard for the money I earn, as I'm sure most hygienists do. And I certainly don't get a 10% raise each year, even though I work for some terrific doctors who actually appreciate the work I do for them and are willing to compensate me well for that work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario

63 months ago

Susann in Newark, Ohio said: I wonder doctor....how you would feel about a drastic decrease in your salary, too. Seems to me that hygiene fees are not the only fees that are increased. Simple fillings, crown and bridge work, etc. has dramatically increased over the years, also. Maybe if you took a cut in pay, that savings could be passed along to the patients, ensuring these services are more readily available to more people, also. Just wondering how you feel about that idea.

Well, I dont know about Calgary, but in Ontario there is a fee
guide which increases per year. All procedures do not increase
every year, but there is an increase to select procedures on a rotation basis. This is rarely passed down to staff at free will,
the staff have to either ask for a raise or hope that at least
a cost of living raise is given. Many choose either not to ask
or ask and get some reason as to why they are denied. In all fairness some do get a raise. But the point here is that
no increase is handed to them, the way that it is to the DDS.
The dentist never has to ask for a raise. I do wonder how they
would feel if they had to lobby yearly for pay increases. Doubt
they would like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

no jobs in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta

63 months ago

The job market has changed dramatically, RDH jobs are fewer and cost of living is very high.
The average wage has not increased by 10% year. The average wage is about $50/hr, which is similar to what it was 5 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

right in Vancouver, British Columbia

63 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

Sorry I work in BC and DO NOT get a 10% pay increase yearly!? Hygiene fees in BC are have basically stayed the same over the last few years but the majority of restorative procedures have increased yearly? If you truly want to make the dentistry more affordable then DDS need to lower their costs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

in school in Toronto, Ontario

61 months ago

i am going to a private school go DH. I do worry where i will find a job when out of school...i don't know if i'm going to be able to find one in Toronto or do i have to move to another part of canada?? does anybody know where i might be able to find some opportunities????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

Funny wages in our area have come down (due to the saturation of the market with new grads) or stayed stable yet our office is still increasing the cost per scaling unit yearly. Hmmmm.........wonder who's benefitting here??
10%...please!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

Listen, the saturation of the market of RDH in Alberta is a direct result of TOO MANY ONTARIO SCHOOLS PUMPING OUT DENTAL HYGIENISTS with too few job opportunities in Ontario.....so they tell them to go to Alberta where the job market is 'better' and now our province is suffering from the over abundance. Our University of Alberta Dental Hygiene Program has been around since EARLY 1960's and has graduated a sufficient number of Hygienists each year. There are UNIVERSITY TRAINED, Science-based clinicians who treat PATIENTS, not 'clients'......

My concern for our profession is that while our school in Alberta graduates an appropriate number considering retirement numbers and attrition, graduates from these fast track schools will flood the market here and make it difficult for U of A graduates to get a job, upon completion of their program here.

Alberta has recently 'fast tracked some LPNs to 'become nurses' in Alberta which flooded the market here'.....Now, some graduates of our nursing programs are having difficulty getting nursing jobs in Alberta. Regulating Schools and graduates is a delicate balance. Ontario and possibly BC have allowed for 'private schools' with their OWN AGENDAS and possibly with some CONFLICT OF ISSUES as well. This ALL needs to be 'investigated' and reviewed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Listen, the saturation of the market of RDH in Alberta is a direct result of TOO MANY ONTARIO SCHOOLS PUMPING OUT DENTAL HYGIENISTS with too few job opportunities in Ontario.....so they tell them to go to Alberta where the job market is 'better' and now our province is suffering from the over abundance. Our University of Alberta Dental Hygiene Program has been around since EARLY 1960's and has graduated a sufficient number of Hygienists each year. There are UNIVERSITY TRAINED, Science-based clinicians who treat PATIENTS, not 'clients'......

My concern for our profession is that while our school in Alberta graduates an appropriate number considering retirement numbers and attrition, graduates from these fast track schools will flood the market here and make it difficult for U of A graduates to get a job, upon completion of their program here.

Alberta has recently 'fast tracked some LPNs to 'become nurses' in Alberta which flooded the market here'.....Now, some graduates of our nursing programs are having difficulty getting nursing jobs in Alberta. Regulating Schools and graduates is a delicate balance. Ontario and possibly BC have allowed for 'private schools' with their OWN AGENDAS and possibly with some CONFLICT OF ISSUES as well. This ALL needs to be 'investigated' and reviewed.

...sorry...CONFLICT OF INTEREST I meant.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

It is unlikely you would 'pass on the savings to patients'. Having the 34 Ontario schools of hygiene pump out 1113 students per year is flooding the market, and further, these positions are not 'competed for', rather, they are simply 'if you've got the money to put down on the table, we'll let you in'. If you do not see this as a 'watering down of the profession' , I don't know what is. I think if Dentists had people coming into the country doing their jobs with minimal training, they may see the situation differently. There is a conflict of interest in Dentists themselves, being the ones setting up these dental hygiene schools, and receiving the tuition money and deciding on the number of students entering these short track programs. There are alot of issues here to examine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hygienist of 18 years in Toronto, Ontario

61 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: It is unlikely you would 'pass on the savings to patients'. Having the 34 Ontario schools of hygiene pump out 1113 students per year is flooding the market, and further, these positions are not 'competed for', rather, they are simply 'if you've got the money to put down on the table, we'll let you in'. If you do not see this as a 'watering down of the profession' , I don't know what is. I think if Dentists had people coming into the country doing their jobs with minimal training, they may see the situation differently. There is a conflict of interest in Dentists themselves, being the ones setting up these dental hygiene schools, and receiving the tuition money and deciding on the number of students entering these short track programs. There are alot of issues here to examine.
It is unfortunate that there continues to be people who express such uninformed opinions. Yes, there are "private schools",however, most are not and acceptance is mark based among other things. Please be more knowledgable before making incorrect coments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kg in New Westminster, British Columbia

61 months ago

Hygienist of 18 years in Toronto, Ontario said: It is unfortunate that there continues to be people who express such uninformed opinions. Yes, there are "private schools",however, most are not and acceptance is mark based among other things. Please be more knowledgable before making incorrect coments.

Sorry I'm not sure what your trying to say?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

Hygienist of 18 years in Toronto, Ontario said: It is unfortunate that there continues to be people who express such uninformed opinions. Yes, there are "private schools",however, most are not and acceptance is mark based among other things. Please be more knowledgable before making incorrect coments.[/QUO
The poster is correct in what she was saying about ON grads; you can't argue the fact that most of these private programs-not all but most-only require high school and will take you as long as you have the cash to pay tuition. There is no competition for seats in the program like there are for programs in NS, PQ, MB, SK, AB and BC. You also can't argue the fact that these private schools ARE flooding the market (especially out west) which is in turn hurting the profession as a whole. You may not be directly affected right now but be sure it will affect us all in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenna in Edmonton, Alberta

61 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

I am really sure that you would pass along your savings to your patients, I'm thinking your savings would directly into your bank account, who are you trying to kid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Born and Raised in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta

58 months ago

I feel that priority for registration should be given to the province's native residents. I do agree that there has been too much emigration between provinces of this country trying to take away Alberta hygienists' positions.

I've already known of many Ontario grads coming over here and are working. How about saving positions for one of our own?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

Born and Raised in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta said: I feel that priority for registration should be given to the province's native residents. I do agree that there has been too much emigration between provinces of this country trying to take away Alberta hygienists' positions.

I've already known of many Ontario grads coming over here and are working. How about saving positions for one of our own?

That is discrimination and creates unethical trade barriers. This is why we have the Tilma agreements in place - a very good thing for everyone. It enables workers to move to where the workers are needed across the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario said: Do they really increase 10% per year in Calgary?
The have decreased in Ontario. New grads are getting under
30.00 per hour Billings are 49.00 per unit/close to 200 per hour. What is the current average
wage vs. billings in Calgary?

In Ontario, I have to agree with you. If it isn't outright greed on the part of dentists, they are pretty lucky docs there! They should be raking it in now. The situation is very different in BC, which is very different than AB, though. In BC Hygienists bill $100/hr average and still get about $40/hr (including the new-grad full-time RDH we hired recently).

I also insist that the RDH wages have not been increasing by 10% every year - it has been much less than that on average in BC. It did rise quickly from 32-40 over 5 years (from 2000 to 2006), then it plateaued at 40, with spotty cases of folks getting 45-50. In the last year, the business has suffered a financial blow with the recession also - we have to take out a day of hygiene from our older practice due to this, which indicates that this may be industry-wide.

I have no idea what coming months will bring, though by the sounds of things on this board there will be more desperation and perhaps falling wages/competition for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Born and Raised in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta

58 months ago

If some say that they do not want any more Ontario grads coming into Calgary or Alberta for that matter, then what should others say to wanting ANYONE that isn't originally from Alberta?? ie. PEI, Newfoundland, Sask, Winnipeg? Same difference. Not wanting Ontario grads is the same should be the same as not welcoming others from other cities of Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

All RDH'd up and no place to go in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

dentist is amused in Calgary, Alberta said: This conversation is quite interesting. Greedy dentists? Do you think hygiene salaries increasing by 10%/annum qualifies for the description of greedy? When dentist continue to increase hygiene fees (to cover salary increases), you eventually price the service out of the reach of most patients. Think about that. I would love nothing more than to see a drastic decrease in hygienist salaries. I could then pass the savings along to patients and ensure this service is available to more people.

I wish that was true. I'm now in a BC market offering $10.00 or more less then the wage 6 months ago (right before I graduated), and believe me, the savings are not being passed to the patients. If it was, especially in tough times, I wouldn't be so unhappy with the current situation. And it really doesn't matter to me what the current wage expectations are right now, as I can't get work. 3 days temping a month is leading to debt. I'm also a licensed assistant, and there is nada for that too. I'm currently working as a general labourer just to pay bills. So much for a degree (which I can't let my non-dental employers know about, otherwise I will lose my job due to being overqualified). I'm still passionate about hygiene, and not going to give up, and would love to relocate to anywhere for RDH work, but then my husband (who has secure employment as a class 1 driver right now) would just end up switching places with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

All RDH'd up and no place to go in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

in school in Toronto, Ontario said: i am going to a private school go DH. I do worry where i will find a job when out of school...i don't know if i'm going to be able to find one in Toronto or do i have to move to another part of canada?? does anybody know where i might be able to find some opportunities????

Nowhere at the moment. And I can assure you, private school graduates, particularly from Ontario, are being frowned upon due to certain schools pushing out unqualified hygienists. Go into radiology, there is still more demand, and good pay. I would if I could, but just graduated from DG program, and unable to get any more loans/grants etc. in order to go into another program. 6 months later student loans are due, and I'm only getting 3 days a month (if that) doing DH temping. So, working as general labourer to pay bills. There are also DH licensing fees coming due, which in BC are high, and I'm questioning whether or not to pay them as the BCDHA really isn't doing a bang-up job regulating and protecting the profession, so why should they get paid for nothing? If you stick with hygiene, it hopefully will be worth it. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

All RDH'd up and no place to go in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

anonymous in Edmonton, Alberta said: Funny wages in our area have come down (due to the saturation of the market with new grads) or stayed stable yet our office is still increasing the cost per scaling unit yearly. Hmmmm.........wonder who's benefitting here??
10%...please!!!

Does your DDS have a new car? Or a domestic goddess at home? In small town BC, dentists have pretty much frozen the hiring of new hygienists due to lack of "demand", yet every time I'm temping, all I see are new patients, and some offices are booked out 6 months ahead, but overall revenue has gone from high profits to modest profits, so... also, many DDS' are waiting for the hygiene wages to drop before hiring. Why hire now when they know that they can keep patients waiting a little longer between "cleanings" and minimize the need to hire DH's. I'm really hoping that the DH licensing body in BC would step up to the plate and put a stop to this. Yes, I have contacted them, but might as well be talking to a wall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

All RDH'd up and no place to go in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

Hygienist of 18 years in Toronto, Ontario said: It is unfortunate that there continues to be people who express such uninformed opinions. Yes, there are "private schools",however, most are not and acceptance is mark based among other things. Please be more knowledgable before making incorrect coments.

I was in a private hygiene school which graduated all "abilities" of hygienists. And the only qualification to attend? $40,000.00 please. We had students that could barely speak English, and with whom I'd worked on some written group projects with...believe me, they didn't pass English to get in. And this school has another in Toronto, with even more lax requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

All RDH'd up and no place to go in Victoria, British Columbia

58 months ago

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: That is discrimination and creates unethical trade barriers. This is why we have the Tilma agreements in place - a very good thing for everyone. It enables workers to move to where the workers are needed across the country.

That would be all fine and dandy, if there was work. I don't think an outright ban is needed, but a cessation of the numbers allowed to be enrolled in schools, which, would definitely need to be heavier in Ontario. In one or two years, reevaluate, that would be the fairest, and most responsible thing to do. Currently, the websites for over a dozen schools offering the hygiene program, still promote it as an in demand career, and that the numbers of students with jobs is 85% or higher, which I know from my own school, is a lie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

I cannot believe the lack of knowledge from some of the posts in this forum. As a dental hygienist with 12 years experience I have seen this market go from "boom to bust" for dental hygienists. I did my research BEFORE I went into dental hygiene not AFTER. Anyone with any common sense and a little ability to research the markets will KNOW that the job market is saturated and that there are NO jobs for dental hygienists. A direct result of "overnight" colleges which cropped up in Ontario over the last few years. To those of you asking the silly question "are there any jobs?".......take 5 minutes to open your eyes and do some research, make some phone calls, (call temp agencies to see if jobs are available) BEFORE you spend 30,000 on tuition. And if you still insist on entering a saturated job market, don't whine when you can't pay your student loans or your living costs (and believe me its expensive to live in Alberta). It is clear to me that many of you entered this job market with visions of "big bucks" in the West. Having worked in many offices I saw these so called grads come in asking for 65.00/hr after 18 months of school and getting it because of the demand at the time. RIDICULOUS. That started a frenzy of uneducated girls seeing visions of big bucks for very little schooling and now as a result we have a saturated job market and falling wages. This is greed at its finest. Then the inevitable migration of these Ontario graduates to Alberta. The end result? A lot of unexperienced hygienists sitting at home wondering how they're going to pay their bills. I'd like to say I'm sorry, but really I know that you grads did this to yourselves. Good luck on getting a job in a market where there are none.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

in school in Toronto, Ontario said: i am going to a private school go DH. I do worry where i will find a job when out of school...i don't know if i'm going to be able to find one in Toronto or do i have to move to another part of canada?? does anybody know where i might be able to find some opportunities????

Someone would have to be blind to not know the answer to this question. You should have thought about this BEFORE taking the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Born & Raised in Calgary in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

Go to the Territories. They're always hiring there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Niki in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

You people need to stop complaining and get out there and network a bit. I recently graduated and have had several offers via temping/handing out resumes/ meeting people. Get off the computer and put what you've learned in school to work! If you are truly wanting to work as a hygienist and have proper work ethic it will happen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

57 months ago

All RDH'd up and no place to go in Victoria, British Columbia said: That would be all fine and dandy, if there was work. I don't think an outright ban is needed, but a cessation of the numbers allowed to be enrolled in schools, which, would definitely need to be heavier in Ontario. In one or two years, reevaluate, that would be the fairest, and most responsible thing to do. Currently, the websites for over a dozen schools offering the hygiene program, still promote it as an in demand career, and that the numbers of students with jobs is 85% or higher, which I know from my own school, is a lie.

Yes....you've got it right....unfortunately if Ontario graduates 1100 hygienists per year, and the rest of the provinces graduate about 300 in total....the province of Ontario should have to 'absorb' all these people somewhere beacuse they're are the ones screwing around with the Supply and Demand cycle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

57 months ago

Niki in Calgary, Alberta said: You people need to stop complaining and get out there and network a bit. I recently graduated and have had several offers via temping/handing out resumes/ meeting people. Get off the computer and put what you've learned in school to work! If you are truly wanting to work as a hygienist and have proper work ethic it will happen!

Maybe you could help some of your fellow unemployed hygienists out by posting the offices that you declined so they can try to get work.
I have received three resumes this week alone.
You have been lucky; the fact of the matter is there is very little work available and even less temping than there was 2 years ago. If you do get a chance to prove yourself you are in competition with countless others. And our wages are decreasing; even last week a friend (dentist) was telling me he hired a hygienist and when she asked for $55 as a new grad he basically said he could only give her $47 based on the market. And she was just part time...this was a couple months ago now.
Most of these posts are by frustrated hygienists who need an outlet and want change but just don't know what to do or how to do it. The others are new grads that were told there were tons of jobs and now after paying ridiculous fees cannot find work.
Post those offices, help your collegues out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Niki in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

Yeah I would totally agree there are a lot of girls looking for work then there was 2 years ago due to all the schools out east. This was early summer and I have helped my fellow colleagues out, and recommended some girls I knew. Just saying there is a more productive way to find a job, applying to advertised jobs is tough because everyone looking applies. I would not call it luck. Not sure about you, but I think even 47$ an hour is pretty good, probably more then any other provinces pay. In the long run though the job market should fix itself, think of all those girls who go into dental hygiene just for the money, it's not an easy career and if money is your sole reason for doing it it probably won't last. All I'm saying is just get out there however you can. Sorry if this was unhelpful. Good Luck .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

Niki in Calgary, Alberta said: Yeah I would totally agree there are a lot of girls looking for work then there was 2 years ago due to all the schools out east. This was early summer and I have helped my fellow colleagues out, and recommended some girls I knew. Just saying there is a more productive way to find a job, applying to advertised jobs is tough because everyone looking applies. I would not call it luck. Not sure about you, but I think even 47$ an hour is pretty good, probably more then any other provinces pay. In the long run though the job market should fix itself, think of all those girls who go into dental hygiene just for the money, it's not an easy career and if money is your sole reason for doing it it probably won't last. All I'm saying is just get out there however you can. Sorry if this was unhelpful. Good Luck .

Its 55 to 47 now......what do you think will happen when the next 1000 graduates from Ontario are done school? Nevermind the graduates from Edmonton who, rightfully should be entitled to the jobs in their province. I think you are missing the big picture in all this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario

57 months ago

Anyone going to hygiene school ANYWHERE in Canada should factor
in the 1000 new grads from Ontario. The whole country is affected.
It will be only a matter of time before the word spreads that
there is going to be competition in your backyard from Ontario.
The colleges and Universities in other provinces should complain
to both their provincial and federal hygiene associations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

57 months ago

nojobs in Toronto, Ontario said: Anyone going to hygiene school ANYWHERE in Canada should factor
in the 1000 new grads from Ontario. The whole country is affected.
It will be only a matter of time before the word spreads that
there is going to be competition in your backyard from Ontario.
The colleges and Universities in other provinces should complain
to both their provincial and federal hygiene associations.

Hi, They are employed and want to keep their jobs, so they won't say anything, I feel ....unfortunate for all of us in Canada and the U.S.A.. The competition is already present and growing at a rapid pace. Those who have work, good for you, but watch your back...even if you enjoy and feel those in the office are your colleagues....R.D.H.'s seem to be "expendable" everywhere, and again, in many (I know not ALL) cases the $$$ signs for the Dr.'s practice....more vaca's, etc. for them rings true in many. GL to those who are licensed, even if work is not regular. TO THOSE WHO CONTINUE TO ONLY WANT TO BE AN R.D.H.....IT ISN'T FAIR TO YOU EITHER, BUT YOU HAVE A CHOICE OF 'YOUR FUTURE' THINK FORWARD TO RETIREMENT.....BEN'S, MEDICAL,ETC....MANY OF US SAVE, INVEST AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OURSELVES, YES, I KNOW TO THOSE WHO HAVE BEN'S GOOD....FOR....YOU....BUT NOT THE NORM, FOR MOST OF US. I AM NOT SAYING THESE THINGS AS A SELFISH MOVE, BUT, ONE OF CARING ABOUT THOSE THINKING OF TAKING STEPS TOWARD A VERY QUESTIONABLE FUTURE....EXPENSIVE AND THE MARKET IS VERY, REPEAT VERY COMPETITIVE...AND IT JUST, .....!(Choose your own word). GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

HappilyEmployed in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I LOVE that word "entitled" - it sounds so....communist. You are entitled to anything you go out there and earn, stop expecting people to give you a handout.

Are you mental? Where did I say anything about handouts? Perhaps you should try and stay in the context of the conversation. Yes those Alberta grads are "entitled" to their jobs in THEIR province.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

57 months ago

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta said: Are you mental? Where did I say anything about handouts? Perhaps you should try and stay in the context of the conversation. Yes those Alberta grads are "entitled" to their jobs in THEIR province.

There is 'earning' a job and there is 'being entitled' to a job - different things. This is a free enterprise country, and nobody is entitled to a job, they have to earn it. The interprovincial barriers have been officially and rightfully torn down because they were discriminatory and bad for all Canadians. Now if there is a shortage in BC, and a surplus in Ontario, folks can move here and work - that is exactly what the situation is for hygienists, and Tilma is a just solution. The proliferation of fly-by-night private school in Ontario is not a good or just thing, IMHO, but that is a regulation problem for which we have to come together for a national solution.

Nobody is entitled to any kind of job. Even if you graduate and there is enough work out there for you, you have to earn the right through interview and continued work performance, you don't get to continue working automatically. So, no, nobody is entitled to any job, and to suggest otherwise is indeed very socialist thinking.

I am a Canadian, not a British Columbian nor an Ontarian. We are not an association of 10 little principalities and two northern independent nations - we are one country. Though I have lived in both provinces, I embrace the right to move freely and have my skills recognized. I am troubled that anyone from Alberta wants to seal off their borders to create an artificial monopoly and a continued shortage of workers, especially since you only want to do it for your own financial gain. We are Canadian, and we should work together equally.

cheers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: There is 'earning' a job and there is 'being entitled' to a job - different things. This is a free enterprise country, and nobody is entitled to a job, they have to earn it. The interprovincial barriers have been officially and rightfully torn down because they were discriminatory and bad for all Canadians. Now if there is a shortage in BC, and a surplus in Ontario, folks can move here and work - that is exactly what the situation is for hygienists, and Tilma is a just solution. The proliferation of fly-by-night private school in Ontario is not a good or just thing, IMHO, but that is a regulation problem for which we have to come together for a national solution.

Nobody is entitled to any kind of job. Even if you graduate and there is enough work out there for you, you have to earn the right through interview and continued work performance, you don't get to continue working automatically. So, no, nobody is entitled to any job, and to suggest otherwise is indeed very socialist thinking.

I am a Canadian, not a British Columbian nor an Ontarian. We are not an association of 10 little principalities and two northern independent nations - we are one country. Though I have lived in both provinces, I embrace the right to move freely and have my skills recognized. I am troubled that anyone from Alberta wants to seal off their borders to create an artificial monopoly and a continued shortage of workers, especially since you only want to do it for your own financial gain. We are Canadian, and we should work together equally.

cheers!

I stand by what I say despite what you say. Like you said this is a free enterprise country....its also a country where one can voice their opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Yes....you've got it right....unfortunately if Ontario graduates 1100 hygienists per year, and the rest of the provinces graduate about 300 in total....the province of Ontario should have to 'absorb' all these people somewhere beacuse they're are the ones screwing around with the Supply and Demand cycle.

Amen to that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

57 months ago

Niki in Calgary, Alberta said: Yeah I would totally agree there are a lot of girls looking for work then there was 2 years ago due to all the schools out east. This was early summer and I have helped my fellow colleagues out, and recommended some girls I knew. Just saying there is a more productive way to find a job, applying to advertised jobs is tough because everyone looking applies. I would not call it luck. Not sure about you, but I think even 47$ an hour is pretty good, probably more then any other provinces pay. In the long run though the job market should fix itself, think of all those girls who go into dental hygiene just for the money, it's not an easy career and if money is your sole reason for doing it it probably won't last. All I'm saying is just get out there however you can. Sorry if this was unhelpful. Good Luck .

$47 might seem good and more than what other provinces pay but you need to take into consideration what the fees are here and that they keep going up...does that seem fair with our wages going down? When hygiene is responsible for 40% of the billings of a successful practice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

57 months ago

Wages are set by supply and demand, not by production numbers. The fees are somewhat arbitrary, and not related to wages. You can't begrudge the dentists for trying to make a living from all services provided within their offices - to do otherwise is foolhardy. Besides, the more profit is made off the hygiene dept, the more dentists will be motivated to be eager to provide perio health care and employ hygienists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

57 months ago

That was based on practice management numbers by reputable companies. Your hygiene department should produce 40% of income, and from the hygiene department 70-80% of the dentists restorative work should be generated.
You also can't begrudge the hygienists for wanting a fair wage based on these numbers. IMO the poorer you pay your hygienists the less motivated they will be to keep that 70-80% coming to the dentist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

57 months ago

skrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: Wages are set by supply and demand, not by production numbers. The fees are somewhat arbitrary, and not related to wages. You can't begrudge the dentists for trying to make a living from all services provided within their offices - to do otherwise is foolhardy. Besides, the more profit is made off the hygiene dept, the more dentists will be motivated to be eager to provide perio health care and employ hygienists.

Most of the dentist's work comes from what they find at the recall AFTER a hygienist is done. Many people go to the dentist only when something "hurts" but want to see a hygienist regularly. 55/hr to 47/hr is an unacceptable drop when a hygienist is so valuable to the office. Again the big picture is being missed here. What will the wage drop to when the next 1000 students graduate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

skrrr in Saanichton, British Columbia

57 months ago

I'd like to see what a person outside of the dental world thinks of getting $47/hr x 2000 hrs = $94K/yr with a 2-3 yrs of community college education. That is probably more than the average new grad associate dentist makes out here, with $300K+ debt and 8+ years university education. New bachelor grads outside dentistry can only dream of making $60K/yr, and it will take many years for them to get there. Someone making $47 an hour is living in a glass house while they're throw the stones at the dentists. They are an easy target for government regulators and declining public opinion. 'Don't take from us, we're only making $94K/yr.' Ask an economist what reality is in this country. And you wonder where the pressure came to open more schools? You don't think such wages would generate a stampede of folks trying to a a piece of it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.