worried about future RDH employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

RDH2008 in California

21 months ago

I graduated in 2008 with my BS in dental hygiene. I love the field. But most of my employment has been through temp agencies. I am also a military spouse, which has meant 3 major moves since I graduated hygiene school. I have held a DH license in 3 states. Because employers often question why we move so much and they want someone for "the long haul" I have only found employment through temp agencies. Then it got worse when we got military orders to California earlier this year. This is the worst state ever to obtain a license. $3800 for an anesthesia course alone!? in addition to having to take their clinical boards since I haven't been practicing for 5 years yet. So my husband and I decided it was not worth all that effort and money and time, since are only be stationed here for 2 years, and a license is NO way a guarantee of a job these days (especially living in a small town here).
Anyways after CA there is a good chance we will go back home (DC, Baltimore area) and hopefully be able to stay there. But my gosh, how will I explain this to an employer in a job interview? I just want a career for myself, that's why I worked so hard through hygiene school. I have tried to volunteer out here, but without a license to practice, my options for that are even limited, especially living almost 100 miles from a decent size city. But 3 years of temp agencies, then 2 years of not practicing at all (circumstances beyond my control, but still). Any advice. Please, I need only positive advice. I worry about this a lot. Don't tell me that "you're screwed", I know people can be harsh on the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

20 months ago

Have you applied to the dental facilities on base...in any capacity? Your spouse and his CO should be able to direct you and give reference to at least working within the dental field on base since it is the life of the military...on the move regularly...and if that works out, make sure to have references to what you did/do at each facility....GL VET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

steph in Washington, District of Columbia

20 months ago

RDH2008 in California said: I graduated in 2008 with my BS in dental hygiene. I love the field. But most of my employment has been through temp agencies. I am also a military spouse, which has meant 3 major moves since I graduated hygiene school. I have held a DH license in 3 states. Because employers often question why we move so much and they want someone for "the long haul" I have only found employment through temp agencies. Then it got worse when we got military orders to California earlier this year. This is the worst state ever to obtain a license. $3800 for an anesthesia course alone!? in addition to having to take their clinical boards since I haven't been practicing for 5 years yet. So my husband and I decided it was not worth all that effort and money and time, since are only be stationed here for 2 years, and a license is NO way a guarantee of a job these days (especially living in a small town here).
Anyways after CA there is a good chance we will go back home (DC, Baltimore area) and hopefully be able to stay there. But my gosh, how will I explain this to an employer in a job interview? I just want a career for myself, that's why I worked so hard through hygiene school. I have tried to volunteer out here, but without a license to practice, my options for that are even limited, especially living almost 100 miles from a decent size city . But 3 years of temp agencies, then 2 years of not practicing at all (circumstances beyond my control, but still). Any advice. Please, I need only positive advice. I worry about this a lot. Don't tell me that "you're screwed", I know people can be harsh on the internet.

Once you get back to the DC area there are a couple places you could volunteer to get some experiences. There are several free clinic.

RDH2008 in California

20 months ago

Thanks! I have tried to work on the base here, but its very small so I keep hoping their hygienist will leave haha, but no such luck yet. I like the idea of volunteering once we get back to "sharpen my skills". I'm trying not to worry as much as I was, but with the economy I wonder what the job market will be like when we do end up back East, and combined with my resume which will now have a gap, I just wonder.
How about hygienists who have taken a couple years off to have a baby? Is that frowned upon?

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

Keep in mind not all states accept a RDH license from another state. You must check with the board of dentistry in any state you plan to move to, to make sure they will accept your credentials. For example I work in Mass. I can't work in FL unless I want to retest all over again! So do your research before you move. It can be tough to get a license in another state. I haven't bothered to get a NH license cause it is so expensive and they make you send them a lot of information (like a copy of CEUs you have taken in the past several years) to really prove to them that you deserve a NH RDH license! The job prospects in any state are not good right now and probably won't improve any time soon. I am barely working here in Mass.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.