Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 134 of 134)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Kay in Stone Mountain, Georgia

57 months ago

Jenny, I so feel your pain. I think that is why I get so angry when someone who has not walked in your shoes, looks down their noses at people like us. I didnt graduate from a four year college. I did however start assisting at the tender age of 17 and completed a reputable dental assisting program.( Not everyone has parents who have the ability to pay for hyg or dental school) I too have worked for emotional as well as physical abusers. Most recently one that wanted to talk about his anatomy all of the time... Yuck... I am pretty sure that is sexual harrassment but i dint want to cause problems for him or me. I simply left. So, the door does go both ways, only it seems we don't have any type of protection in our work enviorment. If someone worked at the IRS and the Staff manger walked over in front of clients and threw a clipboard at someone, people would get out of shape.. yet Dentist daily, fail to even make eye contact with the assistants that bust their @#$ for them. How about this one, good morning! or Good Night great job you did today.. small gestures of kindness. I have grown to really regret putting so many years into this field. I loved it so much in the early years, and before i had a family worked over, and took on more and more just to learn how to be better... Then you realize it really doesnt matter at the end of the day, you are never really valued like other staff memeber no matter what. It has been my experience when I spouse,sibling or child of the Doctor works in your office, turn over is high and morale is usually low. If you have advise to offer I for one would love to hear it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PA GIRL in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Girls,
Neither one of you were the one that I was addressing in my initial email. I did say that some dentists are probably not as good at business as others. This is certainly obvious with the working conditions that both of you had. No one should be harassed, and there are places to hold your employer accountable for their behavior that is directed at you. As for the utilites not being paid, and supplies not being available, the patients most likely will eventually catch on and leave. That is where accountability is, whether there is another way, I am not certain about that.
I have not assisted in the dental field. I admit that, but I have had abusive bosses. But, the whole issue that I addressed here is that everyone should be very careful what they post. I haven't worked for any of those people in years but, I do look back and realize how abusive some people can be. Which is why I advised to move on if at all possible when you can find better working conditions. All dentists should not be lumped together as abusive or not business people. They are intelligent people who struggle hard for what they have. But, I understand, on the same token, that some are ridiculous. As a matter of fact, my husband's one assistant said she worked for a dentist who paused and said to her during her first weeks of employment, "just remember, I am god to you". I purposely didn't capitalize that "god" because of course that behavior is ludicrous. Needless to say, I think she has worked for my husband for about 10 years. Thank goodness for her. He loves her and so do I. She makes both of our lives easier. As well as the other staff that he has employed for long periods of time. We let the receptionist go because of a poor attitude, which is why I found this forum in the first place. Looking to make sure what we were offering, was a fair salary for our location. I was helping him sort thru the 45 plus applicants so that the remaining staff could do their jobs without extra work.

PA GIRL in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Once we weeded out the applicants that wouldn't work for us, my husband interviewed the remaining applicants as well as the financial person who works directly with the receptionist. To make sure it was a well rounded decision for everyone. It would be impossible for everyone to have a say. But, once a person is not working out for another staff member, I would hope they would feel free to say so, and get the consideration to be listened to. I hope you all find something similar or better if you are motivated. It isn't worth the stress to stay where you can't even eat lunch, let alone get yelled at. Good Luck, I truly do hope you find better working conditions. There is absolutely no sarcasm intended here. I will pray for all of you to find something better. But, please remember to not blame yourself for any abuse, and try to move to somewhere else, as soon as possible. I know that there are kind, considerate offices and dentists out there who are looking for good employees. I simply didn't want anyone to lump them all together and give up. That isn't fair and you wouldn't want it done to you. I did not do that, I only was disturbed by CA's comments. I would never hire a person with an attitude like that. I hope you wouldn't want to work with that attitude either.

Jenny in New Port Richey, Florida

57 months ago

My name is not "Girls"

And yes perhaps we should be careful about what we post.

As an employer and business owner, I would also not be showing your staff any postings on here.

If your business is not related to any of this, why would you even have them read what you and others have posted? Or why would you care about their opinion?

Shaking my head.

I made the right move doing what I did.
I will focus on running my business and not be on here again.

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Jenny in New Port Richey, Florida said: My name is not "Girls"

And yes perhaps we should be careful about what we post.

As an employer and business owner, I would also not be showing your staff any postings on here.

If your business is not related to any of this, why would you even have them read what you and others have posted? Or why would you care about their opinion?

Shaking my head.

I made the right move doing what I did.
I will focus on running my business and not be on here again.

I agree with your comments. I think PA girl in Red Lion is addicted to this forum. I don't think it matters what people post on this forum because this is a place to vent! Events and experiences are all anonymous. I've been an assistant for many years and I personally have had positive and negative experiences, as we all have. This forum is for us to share those experiences and address our concerns etc.

57 months ago

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois said: I agree with your comments. I think PA girl in Red Lion is addicted to this forum. I don't think it matters what people post on this forum because this is a place to vent! Events and experiences are all anonymous. I've been an assistant for many years and I personally have had positive and negative experiences, as we all have. This forum is for us to share those experiences and address our concerns etc.

Also PA Girl seems to have a lot of time on her hands. Looks like she reads every comment on this forum. Creepy.

57 months ago

Kay in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: Jenny, I so feel your pain. I think that is why I get so angry when someone who has not walked in your shoes, looks down their noses at people like us. I didnt graduate from a four year college. I did however start assisting at the tender age of 17 and completed a reputable dental assisting program.( Not everyone has parents who have the ability to pay for hyg or dental school) I too have worked for emotional as well as physical abusers. Most recently one that wanted to talk about his anatomy all of the time... Yuck... I am pretty sure that is sexual harrassment but i dint want to cause problems for him or me. I simply left. So, the door does go both ways, only it seems we don't have any type of protection in our work enviorment. If someone worked at the IRS and the Staff manger walked over in front of clients and threw a clipboard at someone, people would get out of shape.. yet Dentist daily, fail to even make eye contact with the assistants that bust their @#$ for them. How about this one, good morning! or Good Night great job you did today.. small gestures of kindness. I have grown to really regret putting so many years into this field. I loved it so much in the early years, and before i had a family worked over, and took on more and more just to learn how to be better... Then you realize it really doesnt matter at the end of the day, you are never really valued like other staff memeber no matter what. It has been my experience when I spouse,sibling or child of the Doctor works in your office, turn over is high and morale is usually low. If you have advise to offer I for one would love to hear it..

I've been there. Always tried to learn every new technique, be available whenever asked to stay late or come in on day off. No job too big or too small. Worked with employers who appreciate those values and had others who didn't give a dam. My advice is do what makes you happy. :)

57 months ago

Desert Staffing in Rancho Mirage, California said: Times are tough... Please don't quit your job. I posted a job for an office and had the most quilified applicants respond in groves. It is what it is. Keep looking till you find your place to call home

Times are tough and that's why so many unhappy employees stay as long as they do with their current jobs. It's sad. :(

57 months ago

Desert Staffing in Rancho Mirage, California said: Times are tough... Please don't quit your job. I posted a job for an office and had the most quilified applicants respond in groves. It is what it is. Keep looking till you find your place to call home

Very well stated. Always keep your current job until you find another.

susancrw3 in Altamonte Springs, Florida

57 months ago

JC in Mesa, Arizona said: Take my advice, get out now when you are still sane....I did. It was the best thing I ever did! I now work for a wonderful healthcare company. I love my job. I make a few dollars an hour less, but the benefits make up for the difference. I work for United Healthcare......it is GREAT!
I feel like I am making a difference, and am treated like a queen.....what a difference from the dental office "politics".
Good luck to all of you who are "stuck in the rut"....but there is a way out!

I've been in the dental assistant for over 20 yrs.and really fed up. And thought about getting into the ins.end of it. Do you have any recomendations on how to get into some of these companys.I'm in orlando fla. and tryed searching on computer but getting frustrated. Tell me how you got started. Are doing dental claims? Thanks Suzanne

Margarita332 in San Jose, California

56 months ago

$25 an hour u are Lucky I have been in DentL field Fromt amd Back office Graduated from Trade school. and in Northern California u only make front office entry $12 and hour Max $20 . With no sick time . and if the wife is office manager forget it your life will be H***

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

maggie in Nashua, New Hampshire

56 months ago

Margarita332 in San Jose, California said: $25 an hour u are Lucky I have been in DentL field Fromt amd Back office Graduated from Trade school. and in Northern California u only make front office entry $12 and hour Max $20 . With no sick time . and if the wife is office manager forget it your life will be H***

oh yes, wife office managers are trouble!! with a jelouse fury.

jonesjac in Grayson, Georgia

55 months ago

ICURSMILE in Suwanee, Georgia said: Angie...Gosh, I am sorry about your situation. I have been in your shoes before and it was hard to walk another mile. I have NEVER had a good experience where the wife "worked" (...yeah, right) in the practice. The wife's opinion supercedes anything else. In that situation, unfortunately, nothing ever changes. This past Christmas, the wife gave the girls (staff) a vase. On the bottom of it was the price sticker...."reduced price" $6.50. She bought 4 identical vases for each one of the staff members. .....Boy, WE felt SPECIAL. We decided next year for Christmas we would give the doctor and his wife something unique and special....one of OUR vases! (and yes, with the price sticker still on the bottom!) ....Could you see the wife saying, " Oh! how COULD they?"....as she stomps out of the room. And my response would be, "yeah, how could YOU?"
.....and the stories go on.

Are you still on this site? If so I's like to talk to you. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Stone Mountain, Georgia

55 months ago

yes, still on just not so much lately .. thanks for the reply it helps so much to know you are understood from someone who has been there..would like to send you my email just don't want to post it openly.. is there another way?

jonesjac in Grayson, Georgia

55 months ago

Angie in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: yes, still on just not so much lately .. thanks for the reply it helps so much to know you are understood from someone who has been there..would like to send you my email just don't want to post it openly.. is there another way?

Angie you can reach me at starr_161@yahoo.com...let's chat
Thanks much

Krys in Hampton, Virginia

53 months ago

ICURSMILE in Suwanee, Georgia said: Angie, I think it is very unprofessional to go to another dentist to receive your dental treatment but we have no choice and need to take care of ourselves. I understand your frustration. I worked for a dentist for 3 years that NEVER gave his staff "free dental treatment" as so, and per his pathetic "employee handbook". I finally went to a nearby dentist, close to our office, as I had a terrible toothache. I told the dentist ..." I have a toothache. I work for Dr. Smith and he does not value his employees enough to take care of them. I am here today because he would not treat me." Ladies....should we embaress our employers like this? YES. My theory in life is "you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences."

I agree. You are lucky that you did not get fired if your dentist ever heard of it. Even though he treats his employees like crap he probaly pretends to be the best to other dentists in te area or doesn't see anything wrong with what he is doing.

Kandy in Stone Mountain, Georgia

53 months ago

Before you judge anyone you might want to hold that thought...until you have been low balled on your salary at the interview, talked into working the worst shift so the ladies with more time served can have off every Friday while the rest work, have zero benefits, treated like you are invisible, not even introduced or respected by the Dr. in front of the patient.. or better yet, he keeps telling what you are not doing right,,(his way) in front of patient... in other words tearing down your self esteem one day at a time., Then when you need dental work yourself,... the only remaining benefit for you, he puts you off, time and time again.. even though you have dental insurance that will certainly be collected... if you decided to seek treatment elsewhere,. there is nothing he can do about it, We cannot wait until our own teeth are decayed and in pain to BEG for dental work., you are never truly viewed as a patient in your own office anyway, and neither is your family. I am sorry for my poor attitude, have been assisting way too long, and truly dont have the ability to pretend that the DOCTOR is a GOD,just because he went to dental school. How you treat your staff,to me is the sum of who you really are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

QD in Surrey, British Columbia

52 months ago

Hi, I just wanted to thank-you all for posting the comments about this field. I am going through a career change crisis, going back to school this fall to take a Dental Office Receptionist program. Your comments are valuable to me as it prepares me emotionally for both the good and bad when working for a Dentist.

Actually, 2 years ago I had a short stint at a Dental office... 3 days to be exact - I was thrilled that the Dentist's wife (aka Office Manager) was willing to hire me without formal experience and train me. But the reason why I was out of there fast was her personality, she was mean, mean, and MEAN. She seemed "normal" during the interview process. I overheard her calling her staff "useless", "pathetic", and "worthless". She would get overly upset and lash out over minor things... in front of patients. I remember patients in the sitting area would raise their eyebrows or shake their heads behind her back as she was yelling at one of her staffs.

All in all, this time around I'm going to try and work through the hardships (if any) when they arise. Oh and by the way, I would love to work in a Pediatrics Dental Office as I adore children... is the pay there different as oppose to a regular office? Thanks! :)

Karen in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Welcome to the real world of the dental field. When it comes to getting treatment for yourself, don't count on it. Women dentists are worse than male dentists I believe. Never in my entire life of working have I EVER been treated and verbally abused as I am now. With economy, no choice but to tough it out for now. Greed, greed, greed is what she is all about. At least here in this office. I know what I am talking about ladies, I live it every day!!

Dentalassistant12 in Germany

50 months ago

For the people trying to locate jobs as a dental assistant try USAJOBS.com. It has a listing of dental jobs for the federal government, including dental assisting, hygiene and front desk. I have been working for the federal system for a year and so far so good. Our office is like alot of the civilian one but instead of spouse it is a soldier not sure which is worse. Sometime they can act like women.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Sebastian, Florida

50 months ago

Dentalassistant12 in Germany said: For the people trying to locate jobs as a dental assistant try USAJOBS.com. It has a listing of dental jobs for the federal government, including dental assisting, hygiene and front desk. I have been working for the federal system for a year and so far so good. Our office is like alot of the civilian one but instead of spouse it is a soldier not sure which is worse. Sometime they can act like women.

To the Dental Assistant in Germany, Would you please e-mail me? So, I may ask you a few questions about obtaining a governement Dental Assistanting job? Thank You! TaraHiggins76@yahoo.com

Tara in Sebastian, Florida

50 months ago

Dentalassistant12 in Germany said: For the people trying to locate jobs as a dental assistant try USAJOBS.com. It has a listing of dental jobs for the federal government, including dental assisting, hygiene and front desk. I have been working for the federal system for a year and so far so good. Our office is like alot of the civilian one but instead of spouse it is a soldier not sure which is worse. Sometime they can act like women.

To the Dental Assistant in Germany, Would you please e-mail me? So, I may ask you a few questions about obtaining a governement Dental Assistanting job? Thank You! TaraHiggins76@yahoo.com

CathyCourtneyFraley in HOUSTON in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Noticed this old post. Yep, employees & employer relationships can go sour both ways, alll kinds of people in the world.
Many moons ago in high school I was lucky to land a p-time front office job with a nearby DDS. Learned a lot. He moved from front office to exam room set up & dental assisting, lab, meds, etc. My boss was most kind to the elderly & his temple based patients so I learned also about creative bookkeeping & don't fault him at all:)
Looking for a good DDS for my 26y.o. daughter in NYC, lives in Brooklyn & wondering if your ddds/spouse takes new patients? WITHout med insurance? Med insurance companies conspired yearrs ago to lobby Congress & IRS to reduce age of dependents on parent /employer based plans. Raina is one of those young performing struggling artists all over NY...sigh. what's a parent to do.She's bilingual Spanish & smart science student, but chooses the Broadway life.. As parents in Houston, we're proud that she's supporting herself out there in the big city. want to sustain our "investment" of her braces & beautiful smile! We'll pay her dental care. Send me contact & referral info at c3_courtney@yahoo.com
Thanks
CathyCourtneyFraley Houston TX

anne in Brooklyn, New York said: It is so interesting to read this forum. I am the wife of a dentist He is a great dentist and person. Our expenses are so high. Running a business is overwhelming to say the least. We both work 60 hour weeks (I as a psychologist). My husband treats staff well. It is awfully difficult to find responsible, capable, upbeat staff. I know of a dentist friend who provided dental care to his employees. Truly, he is an easygoing, nice person. One staff member decided to sue him for poor treatment. When he wanted to fire her, she tried to sue him for that also. Treating anyone in a mean, exploitive manner is terrible. Just wanted you guys to know it works both ways. Good luck to you all.

Dawn in Billings, Montana

42 months ago

Just happened on this website and read all the comments. How interesting that so many of the issues you all talk about I too have experienced. I started as a ortho assistant just out of high school as a summer job/college income job. I ended up dropping out of college (dumb) and working for him for 17 years till he retired. Pay was never great. Two weeks paid vacation and small retirement were only benefits after all those years. Then I went to work for another dentist. I should have made a career switch then. That was 18 years ago..I now make $14.89. He does pay an allotment for med. ins. and small retirement amount. I take 3 weeks off vacation. I know it's not the best job....we have office drama with our hygenist and our dental assistant is leaving after 24 years. She's one of my best friends and I'll miss her greatly but am glad she is finally getting out....I'm now keeping my options open- may try the medical field or something entirely different. The odds of getting another job like this in the dental field are just too great. It is indeed frustrating that work ethic, dependability,and hard work are not valued much anymore. I'm learning to just go in and do the job and stop caring more than the owner of the business.

sisterpam in Mableton, Georgia

42 months ago

My heart goes out to all of the great women out there who have to dread going to work everyday because of either arrogant drs, staffers who create drama or the office prima donna's .. I have been in the dental field since 1995 and have been truely BLESSED working for a great office in southern WI, another one in north Chicago, and 4 years at the best job in the world in Palm Beach Gardens FL. I am a corporate wife and my hubby is climbing the ladder so luckily I picked a profession that is mobile! I now live in Smyrna GA and worked for a year with a dds who did appreciate my turning his debt laden practice around in that short period of time but did not feel I should share in the success outside of my salary. I said bye bye to him months ago and am taking some time off ... it is my understanding he is already back in the red! His own fault for being so pompous (sp)...he should have recognized the "pearl" that he had... his loss .. my advice to all of you is to not get caught up in the daily drama and just wow those pts, make them feel special EVERYTIME they come in and try to remain upbeat .. if you are so miserable, continue working but continue looking on the side... don't worry about references because if you can show a potential employer that you can increase his bottom line, he'll take a chance on you....wish I could be more help ... I love the dental industry but hate to hear about these under appreciated women ... keep your head held high ...

pattysherman in Meridian, Idaho

42 months ago

Margaret in Chicago, Illinois said: You are all wrong. I have been working with my dentist for 12 years and it is all
how you define your position and do the things to be done on your job description, and for the person that says dentists are butthead? who owns the business and where does your salary come from, dentists have to think both managing and dealing with their patients so it is disrespectful to say that.
For the past 12 years I have been getting 1 to 2 dollars each year aside from 3T to 5Thousand bonus each year plus free medical coverage and 3 weeks vacation.
Now tell me.

ell good for you for being in the minority and working for a good dentist that respects your position and clearly rewards you for it. After 10 years in the field I can tell you, you are definitely in the minority!!! Arrogance and disrespect and conceit and selfishness seems to me to be the most common dentist's personality towards their employees. I am trying hard to get out of this field altogether. After spending thousands on the DA program, I find myself regretting not investigating the field beforehand. They are slave drivers looking for one person to do the job of two!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alondra47 in San Diego, California

37 months ago

Stevie in Kyle, Texas said: My sister-in-law has been a Dental Assistant for ten years and she makes $26 an hour, one week of paid vacation, plus two weeks pto (dental office is closed) for Christmas.

Well, your sister in law is very lucky. I work front office. When I first was hired, I was offered a good hourly wage, 6 paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation. HOWEVER, after 4.5 yrs, i've had all my benefits taken away. They never gave me medical, but my vacation and paid holidays were cut back down to 1/2. Only 3 holidays and only 4 days vacation and I can't even take them at once...I have to take one day here and there. I don't even get a chance to enjoy time off. Is it legal for my employer to take away what I had to beging with?

Carrie in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

They can do whatever the h___ they want and get away with it. Especially if it is an office with fewer that 15 employees. Nobody gives a s____! Not EEOC or anybody else. Good luck.

Carrie in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

They can do whatever the h___ they want and get away with it. Especially if it is an office with fewer that 15 employees. Nobody gives a s____! Not EEOC or anybody else. Good luck.

Manda in Glen Carbon, Illinois

35 months ago

I work in a dental office (3 months now) for terrible pay @ $10/hr as a receptionist. And I started at $9.00 but got a raise at my 30 day review and another at my 90 day review. What makes up for it are monthly bonuses, paid sick/vacation after 6 months, paid holiday after your 90 day period, and great benefits. Also 401k after 6 months as well that they put a percentage into. Still, I wish my hourly take-home was better but oh well. The office has over 45 employees and a lot of opportunity for advancement (most of the staff has been there 5 years and counting).

HawaiiXOXO in Portland, Oregon

33 months ago

First of all, I just finished reading the entire thread, and it was exhausting.
I am a receptionist who was previously a waitress, working in the dental field a little less than a year now.
I've had days where I felt unappreciated and upset that taking time off is a near impossibility, even thought about going back to waitressing where I had less responsibility for more money. But after reading all of your horror stories I'm really grateful for my wonderful boss and great work environment.
I have dental benefits, will get $ in my 401k, the doctor has already done 2 root canals and an extraction for me, and lets me know she notices my hard work and the difference it makes.
And the Dr's wife, although you did come off slightly condescending, you had many excellent points, and I failed to consider all of the sacrafices the doctor has made to get where she is today.
I don't really know what the purpose of this post was, but there are good doctors out there. Keep looking. :)

HawaiiXOXO in Portland, Oregon

33 months ago

HawaiiXOXO in Portland, Oregon said: First of all, I just finished reading the entire thread, and it was exhausting.
I am a receptionist who was previously a waitress, working in the dental field a little less than a year now.
I've had days where I felt unappreciated and upset that taking time off is a near impossibility, even thought about going back to waitressing where I had less responsibility for more money. But after reading all of your horror stories I'm really grateful for my wonderful boss and great work environment.
I have dental benefits, will get $ in my 401k, the doctor has already done 2 root canals and an extraction for me, and lets me know she notices my hard work and the difference it makes.
And the Dr's wife, although you did come off slightly condescending, you had many excellent points, and I failed to consider all of the sacrafices the doctor has made to get where she is today.
I don't really know what the purpose of this post was, but there are good doctors out there. Keep looking. :)

*sacrifices

ready to work in Grand Rapids, Michigan

21 months ago

I worked at a dental insurance co for 24 yrs as a dental processor and customer service rep and have been trying to get into a dds office for 6 mos now with no luck. they all say they want 1-2 yrs dental office experience. I know dental billing and codes and hippa rules and know how to talk to providers and insurance companies and clients why will they not give me a chance to prove this? I am always being told I should work for a dds office when someone hears I worked as a dental processor for 24 yrs but when I apply online I never get a response.Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not Happy lately in Saint Paul, Minnesota

18 months ago

I have worked in the dental and medical field for over 25 years now. Dental offices are not known for great benefits and alot of Dentists are difficult to deal with, but my choice for now. My question is this, for experience Dental Office Managers (I do everything for a small dental office, not all managers do A/R and A/P, taxes, payroll,etc)what is the "going hourly rate for this area (city is high income)" for a small office? We are a moderately producing office (dentist is slow). I have been with this particular office for over 5 years and made quite a difference (it was low producing and they were not collecting same day among, very knowledgeable reagarding insurance and other things). I want a raise (I haven't had one in over 3 years). I have days that I think I can't possibly work there another day and others that I feel ok about staying there. I have to say, the dentist will never back me up or speak up (very passive aggressive)and does not handle situations at all. Very stressful; the most stressful job I have ever had in my entire working career (due to lack of leadership with my boss).

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.