Dental Lab Technician training in Colorado (Denver area?)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 165)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

savvas perselis in rhodes, Greece

51 months ago

hi...
i am a dental technician in rhodes greece.I have my own lab with 20 years of experience.My wife is greek-american.We planing to move in NewYork....How easy for me is to find a job in the states?
What do i need?

thank you
savvas perselis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mariya in Charleston, South Carolina

51 months ago

Hi I am sitting here at home with my computer and reading everything I can about dental lab tech.I need to say that i am a little disappointed about some comments here just because I think that being a lab tech you need to love your job and not everybody can be successful with that profecion.....Being a lab tech is something like drowing you need to have the talent not trying to learn how to do it! That way some of you are disappointed .....I thing that dental tech should be those who has talant and a little training is fully enought.It does not matter how many years of school or expiriance you have ....talant doesn't come with expiriance or scholing.....I am willing to give a try and find a lab who train on the job....I like to do fine work .i have been drowing from a litte girl than i was doing a decoratin on clothing and later on to now i do a good job on doing free hand designe on nails.......This is not the only reason why I am so pasion about being a lab tech...The reason is that I have been there :) I have 28ceramic crowns in my mouth and i ma 26 year old...i had kind of bad experiance with bed lab work and i am still unhappy with the estetic work done to my theet i have been learning a lot from time then I even when to a lab my self in Bulgaria that I am originaly from...(now I live in USA)and even the owner of the lab told me that i have to try working this job and she told me that I will be perfect candidat...She was amaze with me when i was asking and being so interestet and even I told the lab that I can try doing my own crowns because I was so unhapy with the shapes.Anyway i am not going to explain more about it ....I am still looking for this kind of job I want to know how everthing is done ..i do lots of resurches and know on my own expiriance how responsible this job is for making somebody happy with they smile.Every one who wants to do that job need to know that this is not a joke and your work can make custamer happy or unhappy with their smile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

It is like a plastic surgery You do not wont to have bad expiriance and bad work done to your body or face....If this is happen every other surgery will be more risky so the point here is to know that it is not all about money it is about helt and estetic ......of corse that not every body can beso precision and talantet to make crowns appear natural...I have bee checking some cosmetic dentist in usa who charge $80 000 fr 28-30 full ceramic crowns yes it is expensive but you know that you are in the right hands and of coure he works with the best labs .....This is the point and I thing most people who need crowns do resurches about crowns and cosmetic dentis...to acheave a good results and be happy you need to find a perfect cosmetic dentis and perfec lab....you need bouth to have the purfect results so the point here is thet if you wont to go for a lab tech you ned to ask yourself this questions:If you have talant,stady hend,good with colours and shades and then when you prove yourself with beautiful work then you will makemore money... My name is Mariya and i leave in Charleston,SC USA If any body have any information on local lab that willing to train on the job I will appreciate .....I really willing do that job and make people happy with they smille ......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Highland, Indiana

51 months ago

Hi,

I read you 2 posts on this forum and I must ask you...what happened to your teeth where you needed to have 28 of your 32 teeth covered in ceramic crowns?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Jason in Highland, Indiana said: Hi,

I read you 2 posts on this forum and I must ask you...what happened to your teeth where you needed to have 28 of your 32 teeth covered in ceramic crowns?

Thanks

Hi Jason!Well I will try to explain myself is best I can.Firt I will say that I always had problem with cavity and root canal...My teet was always been weak I couldn't remember how many times I havebeen going to dentist and even the dentist couldn't tell me what was the problem of my teeth, geting so easy to cheap and desenegrate....I was 16 year old when I start heving problem with teeth ...Before that My teet was so straight and white but all sudden I start heving problems ...I was still in Bulgaria and I was going to dentist all the time to do filings and i was doing good ...but later on I traval to USA with student excange prgram and got married in USA so I couldn't aford the dentist here was so expensive and like my case I was needing mantenanse on my teeth every month so my teet got to the point that I have to do them with crowns they was desenegrate.Finally after I got done paying all the money to imigration servise i got my green card and I was able to go back home and finish my school there and the same time try to fix my teeth so in my country i found a dentist with 20 years experians on ceremic crowns and he was going to do it for $5 000 ,28 teeth so i deside to go for and this was the most complicate thing i have ever been having in my life.Was a big mistake this dentist was doing every thing back words I mean he was care only about the money i realise that after the fact he destroy even the little bit I had left over.But i was trysting him and knew that he know what he is doing.When i start realizing how wrong he is working i did resurches and got so interestet about what is wrong and try my best to prove that he was wrong..He was surprise thatI know that he was boolsheting me.I had limit time to spand in my country.

51 months ago

Mariya in Charleston, South Carolina said: Hi Jason!Well I will try to explain myself is best I can.Firt I will say that I always had problem with cavity and root canal...My teet was always been weak I couldn't remember how many times I havebeen going to dentist and even the dentist couldn't tell me what was the problem of my teeth, geting so easy to cheap and desenegrate....I was 16 year old when I start heving problem with teeth ...Before that My teet was so straight and white but all sudden I start heving problems ...I was still in Bulgaria and I was going to dentist all the time to do filings and i was doing good ...but later on I traval to USA with student excange prgram and got married in USA so I couldn't aford the dentist here was so expensive and like my case I was needing mantenanse on my teeth every month so my teet got to the point that I have to do them with crowns they was desenegrate.Finally after I got done paying all the money to imigration servise i got my green card and I was able to go back home and finish my school there and the same time try to fix my teeth so in my country i found a dentist with 20 years experians on ceremic crowns and he was going to do it for $5 000 ,28 teeth so i deside to go for and this was the most complicate thing i have ever been having in my life.Was a big mistake this dentist was doing every thing back words I mean he was care only about the money i realise that after the fact he destroy even the little bit I had left over.But i was trysting him and knew that he know what he is doing.When i start realizing how wrong he is working i did resurches and got so interestet about what is wrong and try my best to prove that he was wrong..He was surprise thatI know that he was boolsheting me.I had limit time to spand in my country.

and come back in usa.I was so unhappy and now even i have problems ....you probably will tinking why she is not sue him ..well Bulgaria is not like USA and i will say that

51 months ago

People in Bulgaria have extra freedom to kill people and do what they want to do and nobody is stoping that (mafia) it is sad but this is the truth ...I was nobody to do something about it ...Why i did not stop to visit him when i realize he was wrong ?Just because he got paid befor even did the job and he wasn't plainig to give money back so i was stack and the only thing i could do is making him understand that I was not feeling well in this ceramic crowns (they did not fit right) the reson why this bad fit happen is because he did not do a preparation of the teeth ....He did not reduse the size of the teeth and get innpration and let you wear temp.crowns ...he take furst inpration and send it to the lab then when the crowns was ready he try to fit them wih grainding my teeth to the size of the crowns.So he reduce my teeth to a min.amound.....Like i sad earlier he works back words...so then he decide to increase my bite so he mess it up and now I have TMG and my face fill diferent ,...I am taking MSM supplaments every day to reduce the pain it is halping a lot...Other problem is that he did my crowns in blocks like the way you do brides ....I know thet this is not helthy for the gum expecially on the full mouth...I can have infection any time..I am loking for help in USA but i do not know where to go...The insurance does not cover cosmetic dentistry ...I went to cosmetic dentist to check on prices and is going to cost me 80 thousant becouse my case is so complicate....I went to another general dentist and he did ex-ray if you are interest I can send you them and you can see how bed they are position....So on the ex-ray you can se a gaps between crown and gum and the crown does not mutch with the rooth on the top of that maybe i will need a gum surgery for redusing the bone and make more space for the crown...because the crowns sit directly to the bone so it is a big problem ....About estetics I am so disapointet the crowns and the arch of the gum does not mutch

51 months ago

so I can not do anything in this moment .....that way I said that who ever do dental lab work need to realize that this is not all about money it is about helth it is very important to know what you doing and expecially wor well with angles,colours and have fine motor cordination .....I am so pashion about teet and designe...I will see a pisc.from a magasine and trying to determine the shape and bite this person have....I know that teet play a big role of the shape of jow line and if you change the size is goingto change the jow line ...My face use to be round now is oblong andI have pointet cheanbecouse the bottom front crowns is doble of the size of my original teeth so this even strech my skin on the jow line and i was having filing of eaching and streting the first few months now I am unhappy with my cheek area..My cheks is not on the same plase they use to be so to pruve my self that i am not going crazy and that because of beeng upset i am going to far ..I deside to see a plastic surgant for consultation and even he told me that that is posible to changeyour face and i was happy that I was rigt about what i am seeing in the mirror...I do not wont to sound depress or like a little kid who complanes but i can say that ceramic crowns roine my life..i do not give up and I will find a way of doing something about it .....Got thing happent to me with all that big problem that crowns and dental lab tech became part of my life and a big pation...I like to lorn more about it and work that one day...doing beautiful work and make people smile more and i will bepart of their smile...If I have spelling mistakes pleace forgive me english is my secondary language ....I did learn that language for nine month and I am not that good ....::)))

experienced in Walnut Creek, California

51 months ago

you have a muscle problem, not a tooth problem.. frequent headaches? research peter dawson.

vansantin in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

51 months ago

I work as a dental technician to 20 years, not advise anyone to pursue this career. Currently Working in Dominican Rep and it getting worse. Most dentists here are Mala Paga . They have to work on forming a poorly made and after the work is not good not want to pay. You who are young, look for another career. This job requires a lot of dedication and money to invest in the courses. This profession and muti Unstable

51 months ago

Totally agree. This career is not good. Just because it's in Healthcare does not mean it is a smart career choice.

nuckinia in Cedar Falls, Iowa

51 months ago

labtech in Rockford, Illinois said: DONT WASTE YOUR TIME ON A CAREER AS A DENTAL LAB TECH! UNLESS YOU DON'T NEED MONEY. YOU WILL BE EXPOSED TO HARSH CHEMICALS, WORK YOUR FINGERS TO THE BONE..LITERALLY, AND WHEN YOU DO GET TO A HALF WAY DECENT WAGE...THEY WILL GET RID OF YOU AND HIRE SOMEONE OFF THE STREETS FOR MIN. WAGE. I BEEN IN THE BUSINESS FOR 35 YEARS...I NO ALL THE GAMES. AND IF YOU DO TAKE ON THIS CAREER......MAKE SURE TO WORK FOR A SMALL COMPANY..THEY WILL TREAT YOU THE BEST...STAY AWAY FROM THESE BIG NATION-WIDE COMPANIES...THEY WILL CHEW YOU UP...

I work in a lab in North East Iowa and want to know what I should expect to be making. I feel like I am underpaid for having 2 years dental tech school and one year lab experience under my belt but I have nothing to compare it to because no one talks about it. Can you provide insight?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I called lab owners and lab techs randomly over the phone & point blank asked them. That's the best way to get the truth. From what I heard, depending on the area (city vs. small town) even large cities pay anywhere from $9-12 starting out the first couple of years & then slowly go up from there. That's not a good hourly wage if you ask me for the amount of focus, detail, health concerns, health risks, gross-out factor, and patience the job requires. You can get $10 an hour selling nuts & bolts at Lowes for that much & with more job security as well. Let me know your thoughts.

nuckinia in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

51 months ago

Jason in Highland, Indiana said: I called lab owners and lab techs randomly over the phone & point blank asked them. That's the best way to get the truth. From what I heard, depending on the area (city vs. small town) even large cities pay anywhere from $9-12 starting out the first couple of years & then slowly go up from there. That's not a good hourly wage if you ask me for the amount of focus, detail, health concerns, health risks, gross-out factor, and patience the job requires. You can get $10 an hour selling nuts & bolts at Lowes for that much & with more job security as well. Let me know your thoughts.

Shouldn't a 2 yr dental tech diploma warrant a higher wage? It doesn't seem to.

51 months ago

That's why I got out. It has to do with the fact that outsourcing is going on in neighboring Mexico and other low wage countries. Why pay an American to wax a tooth for $12 an hour when someone in Mexico can do it for $2? Sure quality might be less in other countries but not that much difference. Also, CAD/CAM machines are slowly going to take over once they become more reliable and cost efficient. The next 10 years, there will be less jobs available for lab techs because if CAD/CAM machines because they get better every year just like computers get faster and cheaper every year. It's hard to make a name for yourself in this industry enough to command a nice wage. It could take 10-30 years to make real money. Of course the lab tech schools won't tell you any of this because the school just wants your money. That is why you are graduated & learning this stuff now after the fact. Shame on the schools.

Sarah in San Diego, California

50 months ago

I do have to say that this is a profession that you have to enjoy. I have been a dental technician for 12 years. While the job can be very stressful, it is rewarding when you get to create a beautiful smile for someone. I never went to school to learn this trade. I started out in AZ just trying to find a job. Never heard of a tech before and was not happy with the minimum wage. But after starting, training, and learning the techniques I grew to enjoy my job. Now I make upwards of 25/hour and am an excellent ceramist. I love what I do and each day I still learn something new. So you can make decent pay at this job. Dont get discouraged it does take some time to learn.

S.K.Y in Los Gatos, California

49 months ago

Hi, I'm interested to become a DLT and I have a question, is it true that DLT in Bay Area California make $18.50 - $23.00 for starting? Anyone know if this is true?

49 months ago

Is it better to become Dental Assistant than DLT? and the salary are much better than DLT? How about the job, is it easier and more opening for Dental Assistant compare to DLT?

49 months ago

Is it better to become Dental Assistant than DLT? and the salary are much better than DLT? How about the job, is it easier and more opening for Dental Assistant compare to DLT?

49 months ago

It is best to become a Dental Hygienist because they make the most money and they are most in demand. Dental Assistant is the next best choice, they don't make as much money as Hygienist. Demand for Assitants is about the same as Hygienists. Lab Techs are the worst for everything because they start out at around $10/hour and the demand is not growing fast at all because a lot of the work is outsourced to Mexico and overseas and because CAD/CAM machines are going to get more reliable and those will replace a lot of crown work.

If you don't mind sticking your nose and hands into people's disgusting mouths all day then the best choice by far is Hygienist. I do not recommend Lab Tech. Nowhere in the world are you going to start out at $18-$20/hour, trust me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S.K.Y in San Jose, California

49 months ago

Thank you for the comment :) I want to make the right decision, and I appreciate your honest comment. About hygenist, is it in demand this day?

nuckinia in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

49 months ago

S.K.Y in San Jose, California said: Thank you for the comment :) I want to make the right decision, and I appreciate your honest comment. About hygenist, is it in demand this day?

I went to school for 2 years to become a dental lab technician and regret it. I am not making any more money for having the training opposed to someone walking in off the street and to advance in your career, it takes quite a long time, even if you are good. There is a lot to learn and it takes time to get great and in that time, the pay stinks. That is how it works at every lab unfortunately. Unless you plan to own your own lab I would consider some other career. Hygienist programs usually have a waiting list because the pay is great and they are in demand. If you want to work in a dental lab while you are on a wait list for becoming a hygienist that would give you some exposure that would help you somewhat, or you could become a dental assistant and do that while you are on the wait list. But unless you absolutely love making teeth, dont' mind long hours and low pay, dental lab tech is not a great job. Good luck with your decision making. I know it is tough.

49 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I have thought about it, and decided to go for Dental Assistant for now,and maybe work for 2-3 years and go for Hygienist and I did not know there is waiting list for this, (thank you for letting me know) I just hope my decision is right by becoming RDA first and then, slowly go for Hygienist Program :) How much is the starting salary for RDA and Hygienist? Do you know?

49 months ago

S.K.Y in Los Gatos, California said: Thank you for your comment. I have thought about it, and decided to go for Dental Assistant for now,and maybe work for 2-3 years and go for Hygienist and I did not know there is waiting list for this, (thank you for letting me know) I just hope my decision is right by becoming RDA first and then, slowly go for Hygienist Program :) How much is the starting salary for RDA and Hygienist? Do you know?

Information on average salaries is readily available by simply Googling it. I suggest you go straight for the Dental Hygienist education and career and not waste time with doing both the Dental Assistant and Hygienist degrees. They are 2 separate degrees, so unless you like to spends an extra $20k or more on 2 years of college education that you won't use I would go straight for the highest paid career choice. If you are on a waiting list or can't get into a school that offers Dental Hygiene, then I might consider the RDA or just wait until next year when you can get into the Hygiene program. Also keep in mind that you have to go to an ADA accredited college for whichever career path you choose, otherwise you are totally wasting your time and money.

S.K.Y in Morgan Hill, California

49 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I would like to go straight for Hygenist Program, but due to the income right now, I need to work and cannot afford to go to school for 4 years, and my only choice is to go for RDA first since it only takes 1 year , and slowly go for Hygenist soon. I did not know being a RDA have no connection whatsoever for Hygenist since their tasks almost the same~ But, I appreciate your comment and advise. Thank you. :)

49 months ago

Educationally speaking, there are a lot of similarities between the 2 career paths, but a lot of what you will learn is hands-on learning, which for Dental Hygienists is cleaning and inspecting real people's teeth & mouths while at school. If the RDA is only 1 year long then that makes sense to get that degree first. Then the Hygienist degree will be easier to understand. Again, make sure the school you go to is ADA accredited. Got o the ADA website for a list of approved schools.

49 months ago

Thanks Jason~ I appreciate it. By the way, do you know any good accredited school in San Jose, California? Do you have a link that I can go for ADA website for a list of approved schools? Thanks. :)

49 months ago

From www.ada.org/267.aspx

San Jose City College is the only one is San Jose.

S.K.Y in Pittsburg, California

49 months ago

49 months ago

S.K.Y in Pittsburg, California said: Thanks :)

By the way, did you know that Dental Hygiene programs are only 2 years long? You said in an earlier post that you can't afford to pay for school for 4 years, but it's only 2 years you need to pay for. That's only 1 more year than the Dental Assistant. If I were you, I would just go straight for what you really want and not waste any time with the Dental Assistant. In the Dental Assistant career, you are dealing with a lot of root canals and tooth extractions, so think twice before you get yourself involved in that type of work because it can get graphic if you know what I mean. On the other hand, a Hygienist rarely deals with the level graphic visuals as a Dental Assistant. Where I'm from, both Hygiene and Assistant are 2 years long. If I were you I would work for a year if you can't afford school now or work part-time while at the same time attending school to afford school. There's also a college in SF. I visited SF in 2009, consider yourself lucky to live in the best city in CA, San Jose.

S.K.Y in Sacramento, California

49 months ago

Is it really 2 years? That's a good news!! Does this apply to California? I checked in one of a site, and it says at least 4 years because Hyginiest program only offer Bachelor?? That is why I choose to be RDA first, but if you say so, 2 years is much better than 4 years :) If you dont mind Jason, what is the name of the school in San Francisco? Is this a community college or private? And, please tell me San Jose offer this program too since San Francisco is a long drive for me (everyday) since I don't know anyone who lived there~ :( Thank you so much for your help :)

49 months ago

There's 2 schools in San Jose for Dental Hygiene and 1 from SF shown below, you'll have to go to their websites and do the research of how long the programs are. Colleges sometimes offer a 4-year Bachelors degree or a 2-year Associates degree. You don't need a Bachelor's in Dental Hygiene to get a job and make good money. My dental hygienist who works in Chicago went to school for 2 years in Iowa somewhere. I doubt California has different rules because otherwise everyone would be moving out of California to get their Dental Hygiene degrees. Trust me, don't believe the schools if they say you must get a 4 year bachelor's degree. Remember that a college is a business like anything else and they are looking to make money from you the customer/student.

Carrington College California at San Jose (formerly Western Career College)
6201 San Ignacio Avenue
San Jose, CA 95119

Institute of Medical Education
130 Almaden Blvd.
San Jose, CA 95113

University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
2155 Webster Street
San Francisco, CA 94115

49 months ago

I cannot thank you enough for helping me out :) thank you Jason :) I think 2 years of school is enough for me, and I'll check this school out :) thank you, thank you :)

GBU.

49 months ago

I cannot thank you enough for helping me out :) thank you Jason :) I think 2 years of school is enough for me, and I'll check this school out :) thank you, thank you :)

GBU.

49 months ago

S.K.Y in Morgan Hill, California said: I cannot thank you enough for helping me out :) thank you Jason :) I think 2 years of school is enough for me, and I'll check this school out :) thank you, thank you :)

GBU.

Your welcome. One more thing to add. Both of those schools I listed in San Jose have 2 year Associate's Degree programs, which is all you need to be qualified to get a job. That is good news. Dental Hygiene is the best career to get into, don't waste your time on the other dental fields. Everyone in the country also has to pass a certification test to get certified to be hired professionally.

49 months ago

I love you Jason! Thank you :) O, wait. Certification test, is that the same thing like Board Exam to get your license? Or it a completely different? Thank you for your advise, I won't forget you :D I appreciate your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CDT in Redondo Beach, California

49 months ago

do not sell me anything in Derry, New Hampshire said: been in this business for 15 years 5 years owner. losing every thing wife and missed out on half my kids life because i working so much. When i was going to school for this i meet someone like me now beat down. Kills me because, I always said that will not be me. You can help me! the only thing i have is my work, and i am f-ing good at it. Selling and marketing not at all

This field is over saturated with too many techs. Been in this field for 18 yrs, young guy with baby on the way, new lab, 2 yrs old. Tried to be a cosmetic leader in the industry. Sore awakening...dentist can't tell what's good.Only how cheap they can get a wrong crown in the mouth. Dentist have huge competition with each other too, so not enough patients to go around. Huge competition for labs since every person immigrating wants to enter this field thinking they can do something technical with there hands and support a family. I think majority of comments made here are pretty realistic, there will always be a small percentage of objective views but I think the majority speaks for itself. Was I wrong in starting a lab....yes- have a placed my new family in jeopardy? Possibly, is it too late for me to start something different at 37? yes/no. My advice for men and women, go into nursing work 8hrs a day, with excellent benefits, make 80,0000 ave after 3yrs, my wife does. My top pay as ceramist as employee 72K, 12hrs a day, complete emotional torture at work, had to quit, thought I was going to have heart attack at early age.

49 months ago

CDT in Redondo Beach, California said: This field is over saturated with too many techs. Been in this field for 18 yrs, young guy with baby on the way, new lab, 2 yrs old. Tried to be a cosmetic leader in the industry. Sore awakening...dentist can't tell what's good.Only how cheap they can get a wrong crown in the mouth. Dentist have huge competition with each other too, so not enough patients to go around. Huge competition for labs since every person immigrating wants to enter this field thinking they can do something technical with there hands and support a family. I think majority of comments made here are pretty realistic, there will always be a small percentage of objective views but I think the majority speaks for itself. Was I wrong in starting a lab....yes- have a placed my new family in jeopardy? Possibly, is it too late for me to start something different at 37? yes/no. My advice for men and women, go into nursing work 8hrs a day, with excellent benefits, make 80,0000 ave after 3yrs, my wife does. My top pay as ceramist as employee 72K, 12hrs a day, complete emotional torture at work, had to quit, thought I was going to have heart attack at early age.

That is good to know. Although $72k seems nice, those sure are long hours. Please elaborate on why it is mental torture, is it because of the mean bosses and co-workers or just the extreme time pressure on every patient job?

So you are saying that new-comers from Mexico are wanting to start a lab or become a CDT and it's saturating the market? Tell me your view on CAD/CAM machines and the outsourcing of work to Mexico and other countries? Thanks.

almostMDT in Otterberg, Germany

48 months ago

S.K.Y in Morgan Hill, California said: I love you Jason! Thank you :) O, wait. Certification test, is that the same thing like Board Exam to get your license? Or it a completely different? Thank you for your advise, I won't forget you :D I appreciate your help!

the only thing i have to say for all of you that want to get a CDT, if you dont live in a state where it is necessary, you should not even worry about getting certified. i have 3 CDTs and i dont even have to tell anyone that i have them. all i have to do is sit down and work. if anything the owners are only more critical or skeptical if you say you have one at all.

Reed in Louisville, Kentucky

48 months ago

I find it odd how people can blanket an industry with such negativity. A dental tech can make great money if they are motivated and produce. The fact that you don't come out of school making much more than you would off the street is typical of most trade schools, but what it does do is give you a leg up in landing the job over a greeny. The simple truth is that the dental lab industry is undergoing a huge paradigm shift and in the next 5 years will be completely different. I have managers that graduated from Tech School in the early 80's that tell me within the last year they feel they have changed occupations. It that different! Let me explain that I am talking about larger labs and not your small 2-3 person mom and pop shops. The cold hard truth is that the small guys are not being able to compete with outsourcing. The only way to do that is with technology and it is just to much money to invest for a small company. Our technicians are using mouses and computer screens to create a crown instead of a handpiece and a pot of dipping wax. We are looking for innovative young minds that will help us progress into the next era for our Laboratory. That seems like an industry I would be wanting to get into, but I'm probibly bias. As for the thought that having a CDT is not important, I agree and disagree. We have techs that have worked for 30 years and for them, NO, they know more than a silly piece of paper will tell you. The people that it is important to, are the ones that are in need of knowledge and want to progress into becoming a real "technician". If there is one thing that sets two people apart to me if I am looking for my next generation of managers, it is there drive to self educate and thirst for knowledge. It's not the piece of paper, its the time and effort it took to get it.

Kyle in Huntsville, Alabama

46 months ago

I recently got hired at a dental lab (haven't started yet.) I've spent the past 6 years (I'm 24 now) as a full-time touring musician. I quit college before I finished one semester to pursue music, so after I retired from music, I was looking to go into a no-experience-required field. I got interested in dental tech because my dad worked at this particular lab and raved about how great it would be for me (he quit because he doesn't have the temperament for the job; that's a problem I don't have.) Anyway, I did NOT go to school for dental tech (or anything for that matter.) This particular lab provides full training and CDT program at their on-site learning facilities, all expenses paid; one just has to pass a series of dexterity, art, and general intelligence tests (math, reading comp, etc...) to qualify. I start out as temp for 90 days at $8 an hour. After 90 days I go up to $9 an hour and can receive raises at any time based on how my skill level progresses. In addition, I get a $1 dollar raise for every year that I work there, 2 weeks per year paid vacation time, up to 80 hours per year paid sick leave, and have available to me: medical and dental insurance with a corporate discount through Liberty Mutual, a 401(k) plan, a profit sharing plan, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and free hepatitis and flu vaccination. My sister use to work in the human resources department for this lab and said most uncertified techs get up to $15-$20 per hour relatively quickly and CDT's with lots of time on the job range up to $30-$35 per hour.

So I'm looking at making at least $8-$11/hour through my first 2 years, which is fine with me because that's the equivalent of making that much for going to 2 years of tech college for dental tech. I could see how it would suck to go to school for 2 years and start at $8/hour; getting in at the ground level at a lab like this one seems like a much better move.

46 months ago

I've seen mostly negative comments about dental tech as a career. Did I just get lucky with a lab like this? It's a relatively large lab. They own a few smaller labs throughout the southeast, but the one I'll be working at is the headquarters and that facility itself is quite large. They always have work because they're contracted with the University of Alabama at Birmingham (I'm assuming with their oral and maxillofacial surgery center?) in addition to other dentists offices I'm sure.

I was told by their human resources department that I did extremely well on all of my entry tests and that I was "exceptionally bright;" based on that they put me in the CAD/CAM department to start learning CAD/CAM. Am I right in thinking that this is the best department that I could've gotten into since that seems to be the future of the industry?

46 months ago

Oh and to anyone reading my posts, keep in mind that I live in Alabama (very low cost of living) and have no intentions of ever having kids to support, and, with my past profession, am use to living on very little income, so I can easily live on $20k-$30k per year, $35k-$45k per year and I'd be comfortable, $50k-$75k and I'd live like a king haha. Not to mention I think I'm going to really enjoy the job! I'm sure that pay-scale and that type of job isn't for everyone, but I don't think its necessary to completely bash the profession.

QuestionforExperts in San Luis Obispo, California

46 months ago

Here it is. (I am going back to my gum specialist for treatment in August). I have a Marilyn Bridge in the front - my two front ones - one is my own tooth the other is not. The bridge is loose. However, I do not want to replace it at this time or work on it. It looks fine, but loose. Here is the question - to the right of the bridge, the next tooth over crumbled and fell out. My dentist has placed a provisional crown in there two times and it has come out. Here is what I want to do - I want to put in a flipper in that space until I am ready to do something with the bridge.

At the dentist yesterday, they said I had to do a model of the tooth. You know, put in a tray with gooey stuff in it that will set and measure the space I need the flipper for.

Here's the deal - if I go through that exact procedure, I feel like it could pull out my Marilyn Bridge. So I told this new dentist I saw yesterday, "No", leave it alone.

Here is my question - how can I get that space measured for a flipper without pulling down my Marilyn Bridge? We can send rockets and shuttles into space and the dentist says he is clueless? I'm not stupid otherwise I wuold not be talking to all of you as a community. What viable alternatives are there?

I have another dentist who can help me, or what should I do?

Here is a hint for all of you - you should be creating your own website explaining to people how not to get ripped off by dentists, especially in your field, making stuff! It is a shame dentists can charge so much and you get so little.

Will someone please advise on my question above? Thank you!

ToothGuru in Mobile, Alabama

46 months ago

First of all, it's a Maryland Bridge. If it's loose, it NEEDS to be fixed!!! As far as a flipper is concerned, I would need an impression of your mouth to pour a model to make the appliance on!!! So many people think that technicians and dentists have a magic wand!!! You need to have this fixed correctly!!! Let the doctor and technician do their job!!! This is not you can half ass do!!! Either do it right or quit bellyaching!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

That is a strange response from a "dental professional". I am not belly aching. I am the consumer and a customer and I have dental insurance and I have a legitimate question. The dentist does not want to fix the Maryland Bridge.

I have no problem in providing a dental impression into a model. My original question was - is there a way to make an inpression that would not tug out the Marilyn Bridge? is there a way to make an impression that would be gentler and not tug on the Marilyn Bridge?

I am open to all responses other than the poster who just responded. Thanks. All opinions without personal attacks.

Mr.Teeth in Apo

46 months ago

Have you thought about having the bridge blocked out with rope wax?

46 months ago

No, I was unaware of this technique, or the term. I will google it and suggest it to my dentist. The dentist I went to yesterday was a second opinion dentist. I will go back to the original dentist who put in the two provisional crowns that fell out. I paid for those two provisional crowns. Right now I am having the gum work done. I have to pace myself because of the expense, even with insurance. Thank you for your understanding and your response.

professional in Brentwood, California

46 months ago

the first response, although very rude and inappropriate was correct, any shortcuts now will cost you more in the long run. rope wax might work but again it is a way to cut corners and do patch work. if this is your intention, it will work, but you will pay for it now and pay more for it later, i suggest the same as the first comment, if you are going to fix it, do it right or it WILL cause more problems and cost MORE money later than doing it right the first time. hope you get it worked out and don't hesitate to ask "us" again. some of us are here as a resource, others are to be ignored.

46 months ago

professional in Brentwood, California said: the first response, although very rude and inappropriate was correct, any shortcuts now will cost you more in the long run. rope wax might work but again it is a way to cut corners and do patch work. if this is your intention, it will work, but you will pay for it now and pay more for it later, i suggest the same as the first comment, if you are going to fix it, do it right or it WILL cause more problems and cost MORE money later than doing it right the first time. hope you get it worked out and don't hesitate to ask "us" again. some of us are here as a resource, others are to be ignored.

Thank you for your response. To tell you the truth, I hate losing my two front teeth, in addition to the third one I was trying to get a flipper for. My first dentist wants to remove the front two - well, one of them is bonded anyway, and was knocked out in a cycling accident years ago. It is sad to lose your two front teeth, I don't care who you are, I think you may agree. In my case, three front teeth. It's a dental and an emotional issue. Thank you. Based on your response, I may have to re-evaluate and be more practical instead of emotional. Your kind response was appreciated and the wax rope recommendation was appreciated too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.