05 international 4300 series power problem

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 445)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

sdshawn29

49 months ago

My 02 IH 4300 DT466 Alison, it run great down the road and for no reason shuts off like a switch with no warning no sputter or smoke or rough run, no oil in fuel tank, no warning lights come on, abs light is on but its a driver front sensor, how do I get the code off my truck and I dont have the button but I do have the cruise,
the truck shuts down only at operating temp it's been shutting off around 185-190 deg, and will restart once it cools down below 150deg, I came close to getting killed because of this I bought the truck with 341k on it and it has 342k now, I want to try to figure it out before I take it to the dealer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill Gilbert in Riverside, California

49 months ago

ok an 02 non egr motor with out a lap top its hard to really find out the problem see if you can find someone to dead head your fuel pump see how much fuel pressure you have try tht frist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shawn950sm in escondido, California

49 months ago

Bill Gilbert in Riverside, California said: ok an 02 non egr motor with out a lap top its hard to really find out the problem see if you can find someone to dead head your fuel pump see how much fuel pressure you have try tht frist

What's egr motor? this is my second truck, I'm going to try to get the fault code via cruise buttons, if nothing comes up it might be dealer time, I did notice that the insulation on my IRP valve wire is bare about 2in from the inside of the plug out and it's a little loose,could the loose strands of wire short and kill motor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn

48 months ago

shawn950sm in escondido, California said: What's egr motor? this is my second truck, I'm going to try to get the fault code via cruise buttons, if nothing comes up it might be dealer time, I did notice that the insulation on my IRP valve wire is bare about 2in from the inside of the plug out and it's a little loose,could the loose strands of wire short and kill motor

Turns out it was my IPR valve, when the magnet get hot it was shorting out shuting down oil suply,dealer wanted 450 for part online search found it from 150 200 wow,

766-junk in Nassau, New York

48 months ago

Dave in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Troubleshooting headlights on a 2005 international 4300
high beams work but no power to wireing at lights unable to locate any kind of headlight relay......anyone?

i also have the same problem with my 05' 4300, did you ever figure yours out. If you did can you tell me what was wrong so that im not chasing my tail on this. Thank you -frank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shawn950sm

48 months ago

766-junk in Nassau, New York said: i also have the same problem with my 05' 4300, did you ever figure yours out. If you did can you tell me what was wrong so that im not chasing my tail on this. Thank you -frank

what's the question, is it when your truck heats up to temp it dies, mine was the IPR valve, you can test it, when it dies slide the magnet off the the valve and test it with a volt meter if it shows a short problem solved

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oldgoat in Bakersfield, California

48 months ago

Bad O rings in the high pressure rail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

oldgoat in Bakersfield, California

48 months ago

Bad O rings in the high pressure injection rail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rbtow in Corning, California

48 months ago

sometimes ill be cruising down the freeway n the truck will "hiccup" at 2500rpms then it'll work its way down the tak to about 1800rpms sputtering... release peddle everythings good... then if i down shift while its fit, the tak will go crazy... any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

48 months ago

Rudy in Van Buren, Arkansas said: I have an 05' 4300 dt466. the past couple of weeks it seemed like it was losing power on hills. yestrday i drove it and as i pulled away from stoplight it was like it went into a nuetral mode the rpms didnt decrease i just coasted it blew out some whitish smoke. i drove it a quarter more same thing so i started to take to local dealer. got on interstate same loss of power cept this time it backfired. i pulld over checkd everything. it ok. it drove normally till i got to dealer. they put it on computer. it reports short wiring/injector. they said an injector was bad. said it was stuck open. they replaced it. this morning when i drive it it drives good till im about 30mins into my job and it does same thing. its as if it goes into a nuetral state which when it does it blows out the white/blue smoke and coasts for about 2secs then it catches and drives i can drive it for bit more then again itll do the same thing blow smoke and sometimes do little backfires. they told me at the dealer if the injector didnt fix it theyd have to get into the harness and see if there is a short somewhere. im still driving it as dealer is closed on weekend. it has plenty of power when its not doing this. any ideas on what it may be? my friend mechanic is going to check all the connections for me right now for corrosion and such just to make sure things are ok with that. but anyone have an idea on what this could be? thanks!

I have seen this a few times and have fixed it in under 5 min's..
"Cam Shaft Sensor" its on the front right side (1) 10mm bolt and unplug the wirer. Make sure the 'O' ring comes out when you remove the old Sensor and clean any rust and pain from were the Sensor is held!!!!.. I have seen this many,many,many, times.. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

YellowHammer in Augusta, Georgia

47 months ago

03 4300 just started having a dead skip. Sounds like it only firing of 5 cylinders. No engine lights or anything. Any ideas.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

I would run a "Injector Test" and turn them off one at a time. But turn them back on as you go to the nexed one!!! If they all seem to be working then i would check 1 of 2 things!.. 1.(Cam Sensor) i would just go a headed and replace it!!! They go bad all the time and do some wild things and they do not cost to much to replace and i would replace it every 3 year's any way!!.. 2. (Exhaust Presser Sensor) when it goes bad most of the time there will NOT be a "Check Eng Light" it will make the truck Idling erratically.. Just remove the Sensor from the Tube and check for exhaust presser. If there is NO presser clear the Tube. If there is presser just replace the Sensor!!.. Yes this 2 thing's may or may not fix your trouble BUT these 2 things are the trouble 70% of the time and do NOT show up on the scans when you plug in to the truck and run the codes..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

rbtow in Truckee, California

47 months ago

rbtow in Corning, California said: sometimes ill be cruising down the freeway n the truck will "hiccup" at 2500rpms then it'll work its way down the tak to about 1800rpms sputtering... release peddle everythings good... then if i down shift while its fit, the tak will go crazy... any ideas?

Turns out it was a loose MAP sensor

VLADIMIR in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

HOW MUCH COST AN INJECTOR FOR 2002 INTRNATIONAL TRUCK 4300 ?
AND HOW MUCH COST THE JOB(LABOR) TO PUT 1 AN INJECTOR ?

john lewis from milford mi in milford Township, Michigan

47 months ago

i have a 05 4300 dt466 that we bought 3 mo ago after 936 mi it now blows white smoke and missing real bad between 1500 and 2000 rpm can anyone help me with this problem ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Giovanni in Cerro Cama, Panama

47 months ago

I have a 05 dt466, it start normally when it is cold, but if you drive it for 1 or 2 hours and shut it down then it wont start again, i have change the the ICP, CMP,CKP, new high pump, new injectors and orings, new rod bearings setsmnew thermostat, and he problem continue, and it dosnt have any alarm code.

please, help me fix these problem

thanks for you time!

shawn950sm

47 months ago

Giovanni in Cerro Cama, Panama said: I have a 05 dt466, it start normally when it is cold, but if you drive it for 1 or 2 hours and shut it down then it wont start again, i have change the the ICP, CMP,CKP, new high pump, new injectors and orings, new rod bearings setsmnew thermostat, and he problem continue, and it dosnt have any alarm code.

please, help me fix these problem

thanks for you time!

sounds like what happen to me it was my IPR valve the magnet would short when it got hot and shut down fuel suply, you can test it by leave it parked and block radiator with news paper to get it hot,mine would shut down around 190,once it shuts down or stalls test the female plug on the valve for a short, the valve located between air comp and high press oil pump on DT466,you can slide off the magnet also by 3/4 hand tight nut and test it easier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JIM IN WEST PALM in West Palm Beach, Florida

47 months ago

HAVE SOMEONE PUT A SCANNER ON IT AND CHECK OIL PRESSURE AT INJECTORS. IF LOW REPLACE ORINGS ON FUEL RAIL I HAD SAME PROBLEM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn950sm

47 months ago

JIM IN WEST PALM in West Palm Beach, Florida said: HAVE SOMEONE PUT A SCANNER ON IT AND CHECK OIL PRESSURE AT INJECTORS. IF LOW REPLACE ORINGS ON FUEL RAIL I HAD SAME PROBLEM.

I heard if you have bad orings that would cause oil to return to fuel tank turn fuel dark from the return line and that's how you can tell or compressed air listen for blow by under valve cover

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn950sm

47 months ago

I was told that if you open your tank cap and looked in you would see dark fuel if you had a bad oring. and beside I think he said that he replaced the orings with the injectors, I was also told if you replace the high press oil pump you should replace the Inlet pressure regulator (IPR) for the high pressure pump as a precaution, and also his simptum sounded exatly like mine, so there put that in your pipe and smoke it... Ive been wrong before

shawn950sm

47 months ago

Oh yah also had no code

towman in Natchitoches, Louisiana

47 months ago

i have a 2005 intern. 4300, dt466 need help my truck just had all injectors replaced was running geat then going down the road it started to run hot about 225 degrees now the water is mixing with the oil in the oil pan is there any other way water can get in the pan other than cracked head r head gasket.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

Its a (Head Gasket).. The truck should turn off if it get's to hot or it runs out of water.. So i'm thanking the gasket just let go.

47 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Its a (Head Gasket).. The truck should turn off if it get's to hot or it runs out of water.. So i'm thanking the gasket just let go.

have you ever heard that the water pump goes out water could go into the oil pan

47 months ago

towman233 in Red Deer, Alberta said: i own a 2005 international 4300 with a DT466. when it has sat over night it will start, but only after cranking for about 30 seconds...after it has been running long enough to get up to operating temp and i shut it off the only way to get it to start again other than letting it sit overnight is to "prime" it with starting fluid. Any ideas, fuel filter has been changed, low pressure fuel regulator has been changed and tank was removed and steamed to make sure there was no contaminates. thank you.

mine did that and the man at the inter.dealer told me to change my oil and that would fix the problem,so i changed the oil and it fixed the problem

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

I have never seen a water pump do that.. The water pump on the DT466 is off to the right side of the motor and is know were near the oil of the motor. I have seen many.many, water pumps start leaking and be for you know it the motor will or should turn off and you should have seen a warning light (LOW COOLED) be for the motor goes off.. I would do a Cylinder Compression Check and see what you come up with.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

You may have a fuel Injector sticking! What color is the smoke??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Giovanni Guerra in Cerro Cama, Panama

46 months ago

shawn950sm said: sounds like what happen to me it was my IPR valve the magnet would short when it got hot and shut down fuel suply, you can test it by leave it parked and block radiator with news paper to get it hot,mine would shut down around 190,once it shuts down or stalls test the female plug on the valve for a short, the valve located between air comp and high press oil pump on DT466,you can slide off the magnet also by 3/4 hand tight nut and test it easier.

sorry for the late,
the problem was fix, and the solution was that:
it seemm that when the truck get so high temp y just wont sart again so, just replace the thermost and it is working normal.
thanks for you time and your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Giovanni Guerra in Panama, Panama

46 months ago

Hi, i have a new problem, i have a international 4300, 2006 with DT466, when the truck is start it run normaly, then when it got to work and you accelerate it it work fine, but once you stop accelerate it that it work on idele rpm the engine start to failure and shut down, then if you try with the manual pump it star but you have tu acelerate it so it dont shut down, it dosnt have any codes and these is what we have try:
change the transfer pump
the injector #6, because it was dripping
check all injector
change base of the filter
check the hose that go to the tank
invert the hose to the other tank
and then prove with an external tank
the problem is not fix, it problem like the fuel system is getting air and dont know where else to look, if any one have the fuel diagram it will be grate please any help thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

I have seen this a LOT!!!! Check the pick up tub in the tank!!!!!!
Take it out of the fuel tank and check it good!!

Again i see this all the time and people will spend a lot of money wasting time and money on this.. Pull it out and check it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Hialeah, Florida

46 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: You may have a fuel Injector sticking! What color is the smoke??

SMOKE IN WHITE FOR THE ENGINE BREATHER . A LOT WHEN IT IS HOT.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

Wight Smoke?? Hmmmmm.. Cam Shaft Sensor may not be reading in the right way!! Most of the time when i hear it's blowing wight smoke i change the Cam Sensor..
Most of the time when its that sensor you'll be driving and the power just turns off like you took your foot on the gas peddle and it will start to blow wight smoke out the stack when all the power come's back and all is good for a bit then it will do it again!! So when i hear some one say its blowing wight smoke or its loosing power and blowing wight or just drops power and it comes back.. I'll change out that sensor' and take it out for a test run,, Most PC test will "NOT" find this trouble and i have scanned for it many,many,many time just to have to PC' say nothing.. Tho's Cam Sensors go bad all the time and i mean all the time and the DT466 will do some wild things when that sensor don't read right.. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dieselstevo

46 months ago

thanks for all the help cam shaft no good big problem on ihc

dieselstevo

46 months ago

cam shaft big problem with ihc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taras in Monroe Township, New Jersey

46 months ago

i have 02 4300 if you dont plug it in for at least 2 hours it will not start any ideas!!

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

Hmmmmm' Check the glow plugs and the timer if you have all ready went thew all of this and the glow plugs are working then change your fuel filters and check up in were the fuel water filter goes there all so a heater up under the plate above that filter,, There should be a wire plugged in on the top,, At's for the heater that under that plate,, Check to make sure that little heater is working by removing it and see if you can 'ohm' thew it!! Then switch to 12volts and check the plug with the key on and the truck COLD,, Make sure you clean off the plate and up it the top be for you put the plate back up in there!!!

If all is good, The "ohm" and the volts, Hold the peddle to the floor the try to start it.. Most of the time the trouble is in the Glow Plug timer or no power going to the relay that runs the timer.
Hope this helps' GMC

46 months ago

dealer says truck does not have glow plugs

46 months ago

broke truck in Marietta, Georgia said: i have a 2007 international 4300, 466dt it only starts with starting fluid and now i put it i drive and it dies. what the hell! any ideals??

check all fueses

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

NO glow plugs!?? Really!! Hmmmmm a southern truck.. If No glow plugs then i would make sure your getting fuel at the right time.. Fuel Filters and again take a good look at the fuel water filter and see if there is a wire on the top??? There is 1 wire on the bottom but if there is 2 wires up on the top were the filter goes there's a small heater in there..

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

How long can you drive it be for it turns off??? Maybe the low water switch on the side of the tank?? check to make sure it's full and try it again if it turns off again unplug that switch its a 2 wire switch and jump them together with a wire and then see if it keeps running.. If so just replace the Low Water switch.
Hope any of this helps
GMC

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

Hmmmmmm,, Look under the dash and see is any of the little arms the pull the ducks open are broke,,

completetow1

46 months ago

2005 International 4300 Starting problem.
Truck sits for 30 minutes to an hour and takes forever to start like there is air in the fuel system. I have replaced the Fuel filter low pressure pump, and replaced the fuel filter cover for a hairline crack in it. I have pressurized the tank and cannot find any leaks. the truck runs okay for a while and then acts like it misses and then runs fine again.No codes found.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

All filter's have been changed?? 2 more thing to check for on that truck!!! Most shop's over look these things'!!! Take the fuel/water filter off and remove the plate that's up in the top holding the heater,, And look to see if its clear or needs cleaned!!!! The ether thing that i come a cross form time to time when i hear some one say it seems it get's air in the fuel after its been off for a bit,,
Is the (Pick Up Tub) in the fuel tank,, it get's a small crack at the top of the tub were it was welded and it sucks 'AIR' around the weld,, You will have to remove the tub and look at it VERY good to see the crack!!! I see this a LOT and from what you are saying your truck is doing i would pull the Tub' a check it very,very good to make 100% sure there is no cracks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

completetow1

46 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: All filter's have been changed?? 2 more thing to check for on that truck!!! Most shop's over look these things'!!! Take the fuel/water filter off and remove the plate that's up in the top holding the heater,, And look to see if its clear or needs cleaned!!!! The ether thing that i come a cross form time to time when i hear some one say it seems it get's air in the fuel after its been off for a bit,,
Is the (Pick Up Tub) in the fuel tank,, it get's a small crack at the top of the tub were it was welded and it sucks 'AIR' around the weld,, You will have to remove the tub and look at it VERY good to see the crack!!! I see this a LOT and from what you are saying your truck is doing i would pull the Tub' a check it very,very good to make 100% sure there is no cracks!!!

I ordered up the pickup tube also a rebuild kit for the fuel filter canister, I noticed that the hand pump is frozen and the drain is seeping a very small amount of diesel, so i will let you know what i find out on this truck in a couple of days. It is pretty bad when the International dealer is out of stock on the pickup tube and has to order it.I figured i had better have a replacement on hand before looking to see if the old one is cracked.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

Ya' they will be out of 'Pick Up Tub's'!! Lol,,, I fix them by rewedding it and presser check it after the fix.. The hand pump will not move ???? Hmmmmmm,,, Not sure i have seen much of that!! You may have something in it,, But at the same time i don't know any one that use's the hand pump,, If you do have a small leak then air will get in after its been turned off for a bit!! As the fuel flows back a little it will pull or suck air thew a little leak,, So if you see ANY leaks small or big that can be trouble when stating the truck up,, Air,Air,Air,

jamesr in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

have 04 international DT466 starts smoks lote and dies new ipr cam sensor checked oil pressure 4000 any help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

45 months ago

Let me ask you this?? Sorry i didn't be for!! Doe's your truck have only 1 fuel tank or 2 ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

45 months ago

Hmmmmm,, What color is the smoke?? and how long will it run be for it die's ??

Completetow1

45 months ago

1 Fuel tank

Completetow1

45 months ago

Sometimes the truck runs fine and then it will die but starts back up again while running it will sometimes surge and miss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.