05 international 4300 series power problem

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 417)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

You may have a fuel Injector sticking! What color is the smoke??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dieselstevo

54 months ago

thanks for all the help cam shaft no good big problem on ihc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dieselstevo

54 months ago

cam shaft big problem with ihc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taras in Monroe Township, New Jersey

54 months ago

i have 02 4300 if you dont plug it in for at least 2 hours it will not start any ideas!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

Hmmmmm' Check the glow plugs and the timer if you have all ready went thew all of this and the glow plugs are working then change your fuel filters and check up in were the fuel water filter goes there all so a heater up under the plate above that filter,, There should be a wire plugged in on the top,, At's for the heater that under that plate,, Check to make sure that little heater is working by removing it and see if you can 'ohm' thew it!! Then switch to 12volts and check the plug with the key on and the truck COLD,, Make sure you clean off the plate and up it the top be for you put the plate back up in there!!!

If all is good, The "ohm" and the volts, Hold the peddle to the floor the try to start it.. Most of the time the trouble is in the Glow Plug timer or no power going to the relay that runs the timer.
Hope this helps' GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taras in Monroe Township, New Jersey

54 months ago

dealer says truck does not have glow plugs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

taras in Monroe Township, New Jersey

54 months ago

broke truck in Marietta, Georgia said: i have a 2007 international 4300, 466dt it only starts with starting fluid and now i put it i drive and it dies. what the hell! any ideals??

check all fueses

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

NO glow plugs!?? Really!! Hmmmmm a southern truck.. If No glow plugs then i would make sure your getting fuel at the right time.. Fuel Filters and again take a good look at the fuel water filter and see if there is a wire on the top??? There is 1 wire on the bottom but if there is 2 wires up on the top were the filter goes there's a small heater in there..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

How long can you drive it be for it turns off??? Maybe the low water switch on the side of the tank?? check to make sure it's full and try it again if it turns off again unplug that switch its a 2 wire switch and jump them together with a wire and then see if it keeps running.. If so just replace the Low Water switch.
Hope any of this helps
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

Hmmmmmm,, Look under the dash and see is any of the little arms the pull the ducks open are broke,,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

completetow1

53 months ago

2005 International 4300 Starting problem.
Truck sits for 30 minutes to an hour and takes forever to start like there is air in the fuel system. I have replaced the Fuel filter low pressure pump, and replaced the fuel filter cover for a hairline crack in it. I have pressurized the tank and cannot find any leaks. the truck runs okay for a while and then acts like it misses and then runs fine again.No codes found.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

All filter's have been changed?? 2 more thing to check for on that truck!!! Most shop's over look these things'!!! Take the fuel/water filter off and remove the plate that's up in the top holding the heater,, And look to see if its clear or needs cleaned!!!! The ether thing that i come a cross form time to time when i hear some one say it seems it get's air in the fuel after its been off for a bit,,
Is the (Pick Up Tub) in the fuel tank,, it get's a small crack at the top of the tub were it was welded and it sucks 'AIR' around the weld,, You will have to remove the tub and look at it VERY good to see the crack!!! I see this a LOT and from what you are saying your truck is doing i would pull the Tub' a check it very,very good to make 100% sure there is no cracks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

completetow1

53 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: All filter's have been changed?? 2 more thing to check for on that truck!!! Most shop's over look these things'!!! Take the fuel/water filter off and remove the plate that's up in the top holding the heater,, And look to see if its clear or needs cleaned!!!! The ether thing that i come a cross form time to time when i hear some one say it seems it get's air in the fuel after its been off for a bit,,
Is the (Pick Up Tub) in the fuel tank,, it get's a small crack at the top of the tub were it was welded and it sucks 'AIR' around the weld,, You will have to remove the tub and look at it VERY good to see the crack!!! I see this a LOT and from what you are saying your truck is doing i would pull the Tub' a check it very,very good to make 100% sure there is no cracks!!!

I ordered up the pickup tube also a rebuild kit for the fuel filter canister, I noticed that the hand pump is frozen and the drain is seeping a very small amount of diesel, so i will let you know what i find out on this truck in a couple of days. It is pretty bad when the International dealer is out of stock on the pickup tube and has to order it.I figured i had better have a replacement on hand before looking to see if the old one is cracked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

Ya' they will be out of 'Pick Up Tub's'!! Lol,,, I fix them by rewedding it and presser check it after the fix.. The hand pump will not move ???? Hmmmmmm,,, Not sure i have seen much of that!! You may have something in it,, But at the same time i don't know any one that use's the hand pump,, If you do have a small leak then air will get in after its been turned off for a bit!! As the fuel flows back a little it will pull or suck air thew a little leak,, So if you see ANY leaks small or big that can be trouble when stating the truck up,, Air,Air,Air,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jamesr in Phoenix, Arizona

53 months ago

have 04 international DT466 starts smoks lote and dies new ipr cam sensor checked oil pressure 4000 any help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

Let me ask you this?? Sorry i didn't be for!! Doe's your truck have only 1 fuel tank or 2 ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

Hmmmmm,, What color is the smoke?? and how long will it run be for it die's ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Completetow1

53 months ago

1 Fuel tank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Completetow1

53 months ago

Sometimes the truck runs fine and then it will die but starts back up again while running it will sometimes surge and miss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roadrescue in Edmonds, Washington

53 months ago

Hello everyone, I need help. I have 2004 Int. 4300 dt466. We had bad snow and temp. of 20 degrees for the last couple of days. The first night I noticed that my truck idles @13k rpms usually its at 7k. So I thought its because of weather. Then While driving I get ENGINE light on and i loose my acceleration. Turned it of and on everything fine. Next day while worming up my truck in the morning after about 5 mins rpms goes to about 15k and pressed brake and it dropped back to 7k, almost like someone turned on "cruse control" for when using PTO. Same day I get RANGE INHIBITED light and I loose acceleration. Truck off and on and its fine. I also noticed that the temp. gets pretty low.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

Hmmmmm',, I would have to plug in to you're truck and see what the 'ECM' (Codes) or.. When you're light comes on it sets a Code and that's were i would start..
But with out doing that,, I'm thinking about what your saying!!! The trouble seem to show up after it got Colder!! Hmmmmm think about this?? You may or may not know that your DT466 is kind of pick' E,, about running cold!! And if the 'Thermostat' is not working the way it should,, i'e not letting it warm up to the right temp every thing goes NUTS!! So with out checking the Codes the first thing i would try would be to replace the Thermostat and remove the Power from the tuck for 5min's to reset the ECM'.. Just remove all the (-) leads from the Battery then replace the Thermostat then put the (-) leads back on the Battery.. That will get both at the same time, New Thermostat ECM' reset,,,
Hope this helps.
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roadrescue in Edmonds, Washington

53 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hmmmmm',, I would have to plug in to you're truck and see what the 'ECM' (Codes) or.. When you're light comes on it sets a Code and that's were i would start..
But with out doing that,, I'm thinking about what your saying!!! The trouble seem to show up after it got Colder!! Hmmmmm think about this?? You may or may not know that your DT466 is kind of pick' E,, about running cold!! And if the 'Thermostat' is not working the way it should,, i'e not letting it warm up to the right temp every thing goes NUTS!! So with out checking the Codes the first thing i would try would be to replace the Thermostat and remove the Power from the tuck for 5min's to reset the ECM'.. Just remove all the (-) leads from the Battery then replace the Thermostat then put the (-) leads back on the Battery.. That will get both at the same time, New Thermostat ECM' reset,,,
Hope this helps.
GMC

Thanks GMC I will try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

Not sure if you will get it to start like that or even 'hit'!.. The newer trucks don't run or Hit on Starting Spray.. Did it seem as it run out of fuel?? I mean did it start running bad be for it die??? If so i world check to see if its getting fuel. If Yes i would check the fuses in the batty box!! Some have 3 fuses in that box!!! (1) WILL kill the truck if it blows.. If they all check out i would look under the truck at the wires coming from tho's fuses!! Tho's wires some times rub thew on the frame or the beam and ends up cut with out blowing the fuses!! You have to look at the wiring really GOOD and this happens were it's rubbing the frame or beam.. I've fixed this right alone the road be for!!
Good Luck,
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rudy in fort smith in Greenville, Texas

53 months ago

Definitely cam sensor. Had that happen to me many times

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

53 months ago

I would go right for the "Cam Shaft Sensor" they go "NUTS" all the times and do wild things!!! Just i bolt 10mm and pry it out and clean around the hole good and make sure the O' ring came with it when you get it out,, Lub up the new O' ring and Pop the new Sensor in,,
Good Luck
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Completetow1

53 months ago

I called a Mobile International Mechanic out to see what was wrong with the truck. After hooking it up to a laptop from International there is no oil pressure to the injectors. will have to put in a new High pressure oil sensor. I could have swore that the truck wasgetting air in the fuel lines somewhere but as usual i was wrong with the sympoms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

younghans in Saint Paul, Minnesota

52 months ago

MikeTireman in Richmond, Virginia said: I HAVE A 99' 4700 SERIES INTERNATIONAL DT 466 E (190 HP) first off when i start my truck up to let it run and let idle for about 15 minutes before taken off i have no power but if i turn it off and start it back up it has plenty of power what could this be. I replaced CP sensor and this is a Brand new motor. I also recently had this happen I will be driving down the road and the starter will engage and stop then later engage again it will do it randomly out the blu. anyone have this problems before

Replace your starter relay. Mine was stuck open when the truck would get hot and then continually send power to the starter. and eventually burned out the starter. The starter relay can get stuck opened or closed, can prvent from starting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

younghans in Saint Paul, Minnesota

52 months ago

I would try replacing your starter relay. Cost os around $35. Mine starter relay was stuck open and would continue to send power to the starter so it eventually burned out the starter. I replaced it and now sometimes the new one gets stuck closed and the truck wont start, so I pull out the new one put the old one in turn the key it starts the truck, then I pull it out and put the newer one back in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony a in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

goran in Gatineau, Quebec said: Check connector on MAP sensor (on the top of avlve cover) If is coroded inside turbo will not work.

that will make the check engine light come on, i beleive they say they have no codes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

goran in Gatineau, Quebec said: Check connector on MAP sensor (on the top of avlve cover) If is coroded inside turbo will not work.

that will make the check engine light come on, i beleive they say they have no codes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

goran in Gatineau, Quebec said: Check connector on MAP sensor (on the top of avlve cover) If is coroded inside turbo will not work.

if this map sensor is corroired this will throw a code 123 or 124
out of randge which in turn would cause the check engine light to come on intermitingly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

towman in Natchitoches, Louisiana

52 months ago

I have a 2005,4300 International the heater will not get hot we have checked everything we can and still no heater,however when the fan switch is on low speed it will get alittle warm but when I turn the fan switch to hi speed it starts to getting cool and not warm up again until I switch back to low speed for 2-3 minutes.I need some help please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

52 months ago

I would start out by checking if there is a flow thew the Heater??..
With it COLD!!! remove 1 of the hoses going to the heater with it running..
See if there is water flowing?? If Yes put that 1 back on and remove the nexed 1.
Your looking to see if you have a flow thew the heater.. 1 line is a feed and 1 is a return.. If there is no or very little flow coming thew the heater then the heater core need to be flushed or replaced..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

towman in Natchitoches, Louisiana

52 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I would start out by checking if there is a flow thew the Heater??..
With it COLD!!! remove 1 of the hoses going to the heater with it running..
See if there is water flowing?? If Yes put that 1 back on and remove the nexed 1.
Your looking to see if you have a flow thew the heater.. 1 line is a feed and 1 is a return.. If there is no or very little flow coming thew the heater then the heater core need to be flushed or replaced..

ok both hoses in and out are both getting hot 132 degrees on 1 and 124 degrees on the other

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

ok have you check for any esc codes that will show up on your cluster, do you know how to extract ESC codes from your steering wheel switches?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

52 months ago

Hmmmmm,, I would look in the dash to see if the duck is opening?
When you turn it from cold to Hot it moves that cover and some times the arm brakes off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

52 months ago

If its fully warmed up it should be around 180 to 220

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

towman in Natchitoches, Louisiana

52 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: If its fully warmed up it should be around 180 to 220

175-185 degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roadrescur

52 months ago

I keep having this problem when it's cold outside. I have 04 international 4300 dt 466. My rpm goes up to 1000 at idle. If I am at a light and it idles high, I would shift in to neutral and then back to drive it gives me Range Inhibited light and the truck would not move. Then I would have to turn it off and on on order for it work properly. Please someone help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony from boston in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

Rudy in Van Buren, Arkansas said: I have an 05' 4300 dt466. the past couple of weeks it seemed like it was losing power on hills. yestrday i drove it and as i pulled away from stoplight it was like it went into a nuetral mode the rpms didnt decrease i just coasted it blew out some whitish smoke. i drove it a quarter more same thing so i started to take to local dealer. got on interstate same loss of power cept this time it backfired. i pulld over checkd everything. it ok. it drove normally till i got to dealer. they put it on computer. it reports short wiring/injector. they said an injector was bad. said it was stuck open. they replaced it. this morning when i drive it it drives good till im about 30mins into my job and it does same thing. its as if it goes into a nuetral state which when it does it blows out the white/blue smoke and coasts for about 2secs then it catches and drives i can drive it for bit more then again itll do the same thing blow smoke and sometimes do little backfires. they told me at the dealer if the injector didnt fix it theyd have to get into the harness and see if there is a short
somewhere. im still driving it as dealer is closed on weekend. it has plenty of power when its not doing this. any
ideas on what it may be? my friend mechanic is going to check all the connections for me right now for recorrosion and such just to make sure things are ok with that. but anyone have an idea on what this could be? thanks!
. Replace the cam sensor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Roadrescur said: I keep having this problem when it's cold outside. I have 04 international 4300 dt 466. My rpm goes up to 1000 at idle. If I am at a light and it idles high, I would shift in to neutral and then back to drive it gives me Range Inhibited light and the truck would not move. Then I would have to turn it off and on on order for it work properly. Please someone help.

do you have any codes, it's possable your tps on your foot pedal
may be no good when this happens again try pulling the accell. fuse to see if the throttle goes back to 700 rpm's. your inhibit light goes on so it does not damage you very expensive allison transmission. if you pull the fuse and the idle goes to normal
replace the tps and make sure you have the correct application
but before you do any of that check for codes !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roadrescur

52 months ago

Until about 2 hours ago only code I had was"range inhibited" but earlier I was driving 60mpr for abuot 10 miles and when i slowed down and stopped my rpm's wore at 1300 ( my daily high). As soon as I started to move again "engine" light came on and I lost power. The truck was on , but nothing happened when I pressed on gas. Truck off and on, and it was fine, but now my rpm's at 900 almost constantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

when your eng light came on and you lost all throttle. that could only mean either your TPS is no good or the wiring to the ECM is shorting I recomend you try a TPS switch on your throttle pedal,
if that doesn't work then you need a throttle overlay harness
if you want to try to trace the short or open in the harness that could take some time, the best thing to do is get an overlay harness from your local International dealer if you would like the part number i could supply you that, good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roadrescue in Edmonds, Washington

52 months ago

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas said: when your eng light came on and you lost all throttle. that could only mean either your TPS is no good or the wiring to the ECM is shorting I recomend you try a TPS switch on your throttle pedal,
if that doesn't work then you need a throttle overlay harness
if you want to try to trace the short or open in the harness that could take some time, the best thing to do is get an overlay harness from your local International dealer if you would like the part number i could supply you that, good luck

thanks Tony!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tony from boston in New York, New York

52 months ago

Sounds like you cam sensor is no good
before u replace the sensor do a drag test
on the sensor pin conector if it is loose
u can purchase a pigtail/plug connector and
harness I recommend u also replace the can sensor

There is also the possiblites your pick up wheel
could be warpped or loose there is a cam sensor
air gap tool kit avaiable at your local dealer
this would be the worst case! So simlpy put
check pigtail or replace and replace the cam sensor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

52 months ago

How long will it run??? This may be the " Coolant Sensor",, Its on the side of the tank and can be removed with out any coolant being lost!!
Its has 2 wires going to this sensor and the wires can be crossed on the plug with a paper clip or a small wire to test to see if the 'Eng' keeps on running.
If after 2min's the 'Eng" stays running plug the coolant sensor back in and restart the 'Eng' and see if it will run the 2min's??
If NOT,, replace that "Coolant Leave Sensor" ,,

This sensor goes out some times and just checking it like this takes very little time to do..
Yes i change a lot of tho's sensor's in the shop and out on the road..
Hope this Helps
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Oxford, Michigan

52 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: How long will it run??? This may be the " Coolant Sensor",, Its on the side of the tank and can be removed with out any coolant being lost!!
Its has 2 wires going to this sensor and the wires can be crossed on the plug with a paper clip or a small wire to test to see if the 'Eng' keeps on running.
If after 2min's the 'Eng" stays running plug the coolant sensor back in and restart the 'Eng' and see if it will run the 2min's??
If NOT,, replace that "Coolant Leave Sensor" ,,

This sensor goes out some times and just checking it like this takes very little time to do..
Yes i change a lot of tho's sensor's in the shop and out on the road..
Hope this Helps
GMC

It seems to happen after the truck warms up more often. Sometimes it will do it within five minutes from cold start and other times it will not happen all day. I will be following your advice.
Thanks GMC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Oxford, Michigan

52 months ago

Tony from boston in New York, New York said: Sounds like you cam sensor is no good
before u replace the sensor do a drag test
on the sensor pin conector if it is loose
u can purchase a pigtail/plug connector and
harness I recommend u also replace the can sensor

There is also the possiblites your pick up wheel
could be warpped or loose there is a cam sensor
air gap tool kit avaiable at your local dealer
this would be the worst case! So simlpy put
check pigtail or replace and replace the cam sensor

Thanks Tony,
Reading through here it seems like that cam sensor is a common fault.
I will be following your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

52 months ago

Ya' put a jumper across that plug and see if it will keep running. If so you know what's doing it,,, Cost nothing to check that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bigmikesmopar@aol.com in Weatherford, Texas

52 months ago

I HAVE AN 06 4300 WITHDT466 STARTED TRUCK AFTER SITTING ABOUT 30MINS IT STUTTERD A LITTE AND STARTED WHITE MAYBE A LITTLE GRAYISH SMOKIN QUITE ABIT. CALMED DOWN AFTER I DROVE IT. GOT UP THIS MORNING AS SOON AS IT STARTED BANGED OUT HARD FOR ABOUT 5 SEC CLEARED UP BUT SMOKE THE SAME WAY PROFUSLY. GOT TO THE SHOP CKD OUT AND WAS LOW ON OIL. PUT ALMOST A GALLON IN IT STARTED IT UP AND NOT AN OUNCE OF SMOKE ALL DAY. SMOKE SMELLED LIKE FUEL. TRUCK SAT MOST OF DAY JUST DID A RUN AND DRIVER CALLED SAID SMOKING AGAIN BUT QUIT. CHECKD TURBO TO COOLER HOSE NO OIL. INJECTOR PROB. OR???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.