05 international 4300 series power problem

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 445)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Completetow1

49 months ago

The International died in traffic and cranks but will not start up again, Waiting until the am to try to start it with starting fluid if it starts. If it starts probably fuel problem if not something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

49 months ago

Not sure if you will get it to start like that or even 'hit'!.. The newer trucks don't run or Hit on Starting Spray.. Did it seem as it run out of fuel?? I mean did it start running bad be for it die??? If so i world check to see if its getting fuel. If Yes i would check the fuses in the batty box!! Some have 3 fuses in that box!!! (1) WILL kill the truck if it blows.. If they all check out i would look under the truck at the wires coming from tho's fuses!! Tho's wires some times rub thew on the frame or the beam and ends up cut with out blowing the fuses!! You have to look at the wiring really GOOD and this happens were it's rubbing the frame or beam.. I've fixed this right alone the road be for!!
Good Luck,
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rudy in fort smith in Greenville, Texas

49 months ago

Definitely cam sensor. Had that happen to me many times

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

49 months ago

I would go right for the "Cam Shaft Sensor" they go "NUTS" all the times and do wild things!!! Just i bolt 10mm and pry it out and clean around the hole good and make sure the O' ring came with it when you get it out,, Lub up the new O' ring and Pop the new Sensor in,,
Good Luck
GMC

Completetow1

49 months ago

I called a Mobile International Mechanic out to see what was wrong with the truck. After hooking it up to a laptop from International there is no oil pressure to the injectors. will have to put in a new High pressure oil sensor. I could have swore that the truck wasgetting air in the fuel lines somewhere but as usual i was wrong with the sympoms.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

49 months ago

Hmmmmm,, I didn't know you have a warning 'Light' come on!
Yep that will do it,,
GMC

younghans in Saint Paul, Minnesota

48 months ago

MikeTireman in Richmond, Virginia said: I HAVE A 99' 4700 SERIES INTERNATIONAL DT 466 E (190 HP) first off when i start my truck up to let it run and let idle for about 15 minutes before taken off i have no power but if i turn it off and start it back up it has plenty of power what could this be. I replaced CP sensor and this is a Brand new motor. I also recently had this happen I will be driving down the road and the starter will engage and stop then later engage again it will do it randomly out the blu. anyone have this problems before

Replace your starter relay. Mine was stuck open when the truck would get hot and then continually send power to the starter. and eventually burned out the starter. The starter relay can get stuck opened or closed, can prvent from starting

younghans in Saint Paul, Minnesota

48 months ago

I would try replacing your starter relay. Cost os around $35. Mine starter relay was stuck open and would continue to send power to the starter so it eventually burned out the starter. I replaced it and now sometimes the new one gets stuck closed and the truck wont start, so I pull out the new one put the old one in turn the key it starts the truck, then I pull it out and put the newer one back in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony a in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

goran in Gatineau, Quebec said: Check connector on MAP sensor (on the top of avlve cover) If is coroded inside turbo will not work.

that will make the check engine light come on, i beleive they say they have no codes

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas

48 months ago

goran in Gatineau, Quebec said: Check connector on MAP sensor (on the top of avlve cover) If is coroded inside turbo will not work.

that will make the check engine light come on, i beleive they say they have no codes

48 months ago

if this map sensor is corroired this will throw a code 123 or 124
out of randge which in turn would cause the check engine light to come on intermitingly

towman in Natchitoches, Louisiana

48 months ago

I have a 2005,4300 International the heater will not get hot we have checked everything we can and still no heater,however when the fan switch is on low speed it will get alittle warm but when I turn the fan switch to hi speed it starts to getting cool and not warm up again until I switch back to low speed for 2-3 minutes.I need some help please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

48 months ago

I would start out by checking if there is a flow thew the Heater??..
With it COLD!!! remove 1 of the hoses going to the heater with it running..
See if there is water flowing?? If Yes put that 1 back on and remove the nexed 1.
Your looking to see if you have a flow thew the heater.. 1 line is a feed and 1 is a return.. If there is no or very little flow coming thew the heater then the heater core need to be flushed or replaced..

48 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I would start out by checking if there is a flow thew the Heater??..
With it COLD!!! remove 1 of the hoses going to the heater with it running..
See if there is water flowing?? If Yes put that 1 back on and remove the nexed 1.
Your looking to see if you have a flow thew the heater.. 1 line is a feed and 1 is a return.. If there is no or very little flow coming thew the heater then the heater core need to be flushed or replaced..

ok both hoses in and out are both getting hot 132 degrees on 1 and 124 degrees on the other

48 months ago

ok have you check for any esc codes that will show up on your cluster, do you know how to extract ESC codes from your steering wheel switches?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

48 months ago

Hmmmmm,, I would look in the dash to see if the duck is opening?
When you turn it from cold to Hot it moves that cover and some times the arm brakes off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

48 months ago

If its fully warmed up it should be around 180 to 220

48 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: If its fully warmed up it should be around 180 to 220

175-185 degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roadrescur

48 months ago

I keep having this problem when it's cold outside. I have 04 international 4300 dt 466. My rpm goes up to 1000 at idle. If I am at a light and it idles high, I would shift in to neutral and then back to drive it gives me Range Inhibited light and the truck would not move. Then I would have to turn it off and on on order for it work properly. Please someone help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony from boston in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

Rudy in Van Buren, Arkansas said: I have an 05' 4300 dt466. the past couple of weeks it seemed like it was losing power on hills. yestrday i drove it and as i pulled away from stoplight it was like it went into a nuetral mode the rpms didnt decrease i just coasted it blew out some whitish smoke. i drove it a quarter more same thing so i started to take to local dealer. got on interstate same loss of power cept this time it backfired. i pulld over checkd everything. it ok. it drove normally till i got to dealer. they put it on computer. it reports short wiring/injector. they said an injector was bad. said it was stuck open. they replaced it. this morning when i drive it it drives good till im about 30mins into my job and it does same thing. its as if it goes into a nuetral state which when it does it blows out the white/blue smoke and coasts for about 2secs then it catches and drives i can drive it for bit more then again itll do the same thing blow smoke and sometimes do little backfires. they told me at the dealer if the injector didnt fix it theyd have to get into the harness and see if there is a short
somewhere. im still driving it as dealer is closed on weekend. it has plenty of power when its not doing this. any
ideas on what it may be? my friend mechanic is going to check all the connections for me right now for recorrosion and such just to make sure things are ok with that. but anyone have an idea on what this could be? thanks!
. Replace the cam sensor

48 months ago

Roadrescur said: I keep having this problem when it's cold outside. I have 04 international 4300 dt 466. My rpm goes up to 1000 at idle. If I am at a light and it idles high, I would shift in to neutral and then back to drive it gives me Range Inhibited light and the truck would not move. Then I would have to turn it off and on on order for it work properly. Please someone help.

do you have any codes, it's possable your tps on your foot pedal
may be no good when this happens again try pulling the accell. fuse to see if the throttle goes back to 700 rpm's. your inhibit light goes on so it does not damage you very expensive allison transmission. if you pull the fuse and the idle goes to normal
replace the tps and make sure you have the correct application
but before you do any of that check for codes !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roadrescur

48 months ago

Until about 2 hours ago only code I had was"range inhibited" but earlier I was driving 60mpr for abuot 10 miles and when i slowed down and stopped my rpm's wore at 1300 ( my daily high). As soon as I started to move again "engine" light came on and I lost power. The truck was on , but nothing happened when I pressed on gas. Truck off and on, and it was fine, but now my rpm's at 900 almost constantly.

48 months ago

when your eng light came on and you lost all throttle. that could only mean either your TPS is no good or the wiring to the ECM is shorting I recomend you try a TPS switch on your throttle pedal,
if that doesn't work then you need a throttle overlay harness
if you want to try to trace the short or open in the harness that could take some time, the best thing to do is get an overlay harness from your local International dealer if you would like the part number i could supply you that, good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roadrescue in Edmonds, Washington

48 months ago

tony a in boston ma in Dallas, Texas said: when your eng light came on and you lost all throttle. that could only mean either your TPS is no good or the wiring to the ECM is shorting I recomend you try a TPS switch on your throttle pedal,
if that doesn't work then you need a throttle overlay harness
if you want to try to trace the short or open in the harness that could take some time, the best thing to do is get an overlay harness from your local International dealer if you would like the part number i could supply you that, good luck

thanks Tony!

Tony from boston in New York, New York

47 months ago

Sounds like you cam sensor is no good
before u replace the sensor do a drag test
on the sensor pin conector if it is loose
u can purchase a pigtail/plug connector and
harness I recommend u also replace the can sensor

There is also the possiblites your pick up wheel
could be warpped or loose there is a cam sensor
air gap tool kit avaiable at your local dealer
this would be the worst case! So simlpy put
check pigtail or replace and replace the cam sensor

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

How long will it run??? This may be the " Coolant Sensor",, Its on the side of the tank and can be removed with out any coolant being lost!!
Its has 2 wires going to this sensor and the wires can be crossed on the plug with a paper clip or a small wire to test to see if the 'Eng' keeps on running.
If after 2min's the 'Eng" stays running plug the coolant sensor back in and restart the 'Eng' and see if it will run the 2min's??
If NOT,, replace that "Coolant Leave Sensor" ,,

This sensor goes out some times and just checking it like this takes very little time to do..
Yes i change a lot of tho's sensor's in the shop and out on the road..
Hope this Helps
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Oxford, Michigan

47 months ago

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio said: How long will it run??? This may be the " Coolant Sensor",, Its on the side of the tank and can be removed with out any coolant being lost!!
Its has 2 wires going to this sensor and the wires can be crossed on the plug with a paper clip or a small wire to test to see if the 'Eng' keeps on running.
If after 2min's the 'Eng" stays running plug the coolant sensor back in and restart the 'Eng' and see if it will run the 2min's??
If NOT,, replace that "Coolant Leave Sensor" ,,

This sensor goes out some times and just checking it like this takes very little time to do..
Yes i change a lot of tho's sensor's in the shop and out on the road..
Hope this Helps
GMC

It seems to happen after the truck warms up more often. Sometimes it will do it within five minutes from cold start and other times it will not happen all day. I will be following your advice.
Thanks GMC.

47 months ago

Tony from boston in New York, New York said: Sounds like you cam sensor is no good
before u replace the sensor do a drag test
on the sensor pin conector if it is loose
u can purchase a pigtail/plug connector and
harness I recommend u also replace the can sensor

There is also the possiblites your pick up wheel
could be warpped or loose there is a cam sensor
air gap tool kit avaiable at your local dealer
this would be the worst case! So simlpy put
check pigtail or replace and replace the cam sensor

Thanks Tony,
Reading through here it seems like that cam sensor is a common fault.
I will be following your advice.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

Ya' put a jumper across that plug and see if it will keep running. If so you know what's doing it,,, Cost nothing to check that way.

bigmikesmopar@aol.com in Weatherford, Texas

47 months ago

I HAVE AN 06 4300 WITHDT466 STARTED TRUCK AFTER SITTING ABOUT 30MINS IT STUTTERD A LITTE AND STARTED WHITE MAYBE A LITTLE GRAYISH SMOKIN QUITE ABIT. CALMED DOWN AFTER I DROVE IT. GOT UP THIS MORNING AS SOON AS IT STARTED BANGED OUT HARD FOR ABOUT 5 SEC CLEARED UP BUT SMOKE THE SAME WAY PROFUSLY. GOT TO THE SHOP CKD OUT AND WAS LOW ON OIL. PUT ALMOST A GALLON IN IT STARTED IT UP AND NOT AN OUNCE OF SMOKE ALL DAY. SMOKE SMELLED LIKE FUEL. TRUCK SAT MOST OF DAY JUST DID A RUN AND DRIVER CALLED SAID SMOKING AGAIN BUT QUIT. CHECKD TURBO TO COOLER HOSE NO OIL. INJECTOR PROB. OR???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

Maybe an "O" ring at one of the Injector's..

tim in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland

47 months ago

i have a problem with my 2000 international 4900 truck. it has a dt466 engine with a allison transmission. the truck will not crank, repaired 1 blue transmission wire under truck, have no power at shifter, no power at xmsm battery fuse. where do i look now?

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

Hmmmmmm,, I think your looking in the right place!! Under the truck there is a Red wire coming from the Battery the same size as that blue wire and it's in the same spot under the truck,,, This wire maybe in a rap and can be hard to see the bad spot!!! You just ant getting power to a wire some were!!,
Good Luck
GMC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rochester in Double Springs, Alabama

47 months ago

I have 2000 International DT530, used truck today for first time in a couple days and noticed that oil pressure was around 25, and its normally 50, brought the truck into shop and changed the oil and oil filter, and now the truck will not start. Is it the oil pump? Just had a new pump put in less than a year ago by International. What should i check or what test should i try? Any ideas would be great.

GMC in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

Hmmmmmm,,, Try this.. Put in more oil. Yes i know you filled it but some time's you might have to over fill it to get it started again,, I have had to over fill some by 1 1/2 gallon to get the presser back up.. It will not hurt to run it a little over like this so i just run them like that.

But if you think it's best after it starts up and runs drain some back out just back down to the full mark,
If it's one of tho's trucks that some times do this it may take it some time to get its presser up even after over filling it.. Look at the presser gauge when your on the starter!! If you don't see the oil presser coming up when your cranking it you may have to crank it for i bit and let the starter cool down and do it again,, When you see the oil presser start to come up it will start.. Try NOT to crank it more then 20sec's then cool down for 20sec's and try again..

Hope this help's!!
P.S.
Your Oil Presser should come up when you crank it and the over fill helps .

Tony from boston in Bronx, New York

47 months ago

Rochester in Double Springs, Alabama said: I have 2000 International DT530, used truck today for first time in a couple days and noticed that oil pressure was around 25, and its normally 50, brought the truck into shop and changed the oil and oil filter, and now the truck will not start. Is it the oil pump? Just had a new pump put in less than a year ago by International. What should i check or what test should i try? Any ideas would be great.

No normal oil pressure at idle is 20psi anything
lower than 10 psi will make the oil gauge light come on
and you will hear a beeping sound instead of overfilling your oil
which you should not have to do according to OEM
try removing the oil temp pressure sensor see if oil
is pouring out this is normal if there is no oil coming
out of the oil temp sensor fill it there then see if it
starts if it does not start check for codes

londut in Lansing, Michigan

47 months ago

check the oil pick up tube i,ve had some small cracks by the bracket on top truck will suck some oil but not enough to build fuel pressure

rudy in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

yellow check engine light come off 2 months ago and warn engine apperas all the time on speeddometer please help ...

bear in Revelstoke, British Columbia

47 months ago

have 2003 466, been going through comments, more confused. we live in alberta, cold here now, but problem was in summer also. truck crank and crank no start, took to good mech, [who in framed truck in summer, problem was before rebuild]he totally redone and tested all fuel system to pump, no difference, start somtime, others not.spoke to other mechanics, they said lighter oil, its your 'hewy pump'put lighter oil in, starts well, but this a.m. giving me grief, and was plugged in. what is a huey pump? and i keep seeing rail o ring kit, is there a test for this? not against taking to int. dealer but have had bad taste from them replacing parts and doing no better, truck runs well normally, or if i leave in warm shop no problem!

rudy in Fort Smith, Arkansas

47 months ago

Jer93L@hotmail.com in Rochester, New York said: You'll notice coolant on the ground from the overflow hose on the surge tank. I've experienced this before, they'll usually only do it under a load or when they're really hot. Check for soot-exhaust traces by the radiator cap, if there is then you've got a blown head gasket. Another thing you can try if you don't find any issues is to clean the radiator fins out with compressed air. Alot of trucks that are in and out of pits, new construction, etc will fill up the spaces in the fins and then they won't cool like they should.

05' int 4300. i noticed here the past few weeks that my surge tank seems to leave a few drops of coolant on the ground after i park it and come back a few hours later. it'll be just a few drops on the ground. being as how i was kind of lazy the past 3-4 weeks i hadnt checked any of the fluids and such for a while. when I finally did check it this morning after i finished my job and parked i noticed that the tank wasnt that low but its been boiling out thru the cap and it leaks onto the power steering and leaks down from that to the ground. i can see where its been leaking quite a bit thru the cap. i suspect either a clogged raditor or a bad thermo. the water pump isnt making a noise at all. i've had one go out on my other truck and it made a definite noise when it was going out. this truck sounds fine cept for the occasional boil over thru the surge tank cap. one thing i did notice though was last week when i was walking around the front of the truck that every now and then it sounded like air sucking thru from the radiator. any ideas what that may be? ill go ahead and say that i had an inframe rebuild about 20k miles ago. so really it shouldnt be more than clogged rad. bad thermo, or water pump i would think. any suggestions greatly appreciated though.
thanks

ismail in Elizabeth, New Jersey

47 months ago

GB in Savannah, Georgia said: 2004 international 4300 with 466, starts and runs fine but no power, 40mph max, fuel system is clean (what should fuel pressure be at?) no check engine light, fuel filter light was on until i replaced filter. i can hear turbo working and no movement on shaft. any help . thanks

did u find out what was the problem email me if u know Ismaiol@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ismail in Elizabeth, New Jersey

47 months ago

fuel pump injector leaking oil and loosing pressure

47 months ago

Reading through these post I see it repeated there should be movement at the tachometer while cranking the engine. If there isn't this indicates a bad camshaft pickup.
On my DT466E the tach remains at zero until the engine fires then jumps to a reading.
Would this indicate a bad cam sensor?

Tony Agcaa in Quincy, Massachusetts

47 months ago

ismail in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: did u find out what was the problem email me if u know Ismaiol@hotmail.com

fuel pressure at full throttle is is between 55 psi's and 60 psi's
if your fuel pressure is lower, you should look into the fuel check valve mounted in the rear of the fuel galley, if you shut down the truck and your fuel pressure drops to zero you need to remove that valve and check to see if it's stuck open.normail fuel
rest pressure should not drop below 10 psi's

47 months ago

bear in Revelstoke, British Columbia said: have 2003 466, been going through comments, more confused. we live in alberta, cold here now, but problem was in summer also. truck crank and crank no start, took to good mech, [who in framed truck in summer, problem was before rebuild]he totally redone and tested all fuel system to pump, no difference, start somtime, others not.spoke to other mechanics, they said lighter oil, its your 'hewy pump'put lighter oil in, starts well, but this a.m. giving me grief, and was plugged in. what is a huey pump? and i keep seeing rail o ring kit, is there a test for this? not against taking to int. dealer but have had bad taste from them replacing parts and doing no better, truck runs well normally, or if i leave in warm shop no problem!

a huei pump takes engine oil pressure and converts it to hi oil pressure as much as 3000 psi's this pressure is there to supply oil to open the injectors. as far as testing the huei pump if you have access to international software there is a program in sessions were you crank the eng and watch huei start oil pressure which should be around 7oo psi's no lower, if it is lower then you must remove the icp sensor and dead head it directly to the huie oil supply line from the galley you would need the adapter to mount on the oil line.if huei pressure is good then you need to consider possiable injector o-ring or a leaky injector

Lloyd in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

Have a 2004 school bus with a 7.3 diesel engine Ihc and I am trying to find out where the Map sensor is located?

47 months ago

Lloyd in Atlanta, Georgia said: Have a 2004 school bus with a 7.3 diesel engine Ihc and I am trying to find out where the Map sensor is located?

top of valve cover

GOSKY in Aurora, Colorado

47 months ago

Hello...Need some help... My 2006 DT466 been good unti today....It start up fine and them after couple delivers the truck seems to take extra time to start. After cranking several times it will start. some times does'nt want to start. it coud be the 'CAM-SEMSOR"??? Looking into the oil pressure seems like went i try to crank the oil gage move only from 0 to 5 or 10...but nothing...And them sometimes the pressure look like it is going up up 40m and them fire -up...any extra suggestions will be greatly appreciatte....THANK'S

47 months ago

GOSKY in Aurora, Colorado said: Hello...Need some help... My 2006 DT466 been good unti today....It start up fine and them after couple delivers the truck seems to take extra time to start. After cranking several times it will start. some times does'nt want to start. it coud be the 'CAM-SEMSOR"??? Looking into the oil pressure seems like went i try to crank the oil gage move only from 0 to 5 or 10...but nothing...And them sometimes the pressure look like it is going up up 40m and them fire -up...any extra suggestions will be greatly appreciatte....THANK'S

cam sensor would be a good start

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Russ in Edmonton, Alberta

46 months ago

I have an 04 4300 DT466, i have a acceleration problem the truck starts fine but as i drive i get no acceleration or it comes very slowly the higher the gear the less speed i have, its been in repeatedly for this it gives no codes quite often i can just shut the engine off and restart and it will run fine, but i have to floor and the peddle has no resistance like the truck doesnt think i am pressing on it after a certain point, this is probably the 5th truck ive had this problem on and noone can give me any answers, any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.