Engine Warning Light

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

John Rochester in Winfield, Alabama

42 months ago

I have a 2000 international 4900 dt 530. The other day the warn engine light appeared after driving all day. It seems as though the light doesn't come on until the truck is ran for a brief period of time. It also seems like the truck lacks power once the light comes on. My local mechanic doesn't have the proper software to pin point problem. He did say he seen a code and the code says it's either injector harness, wiring harness, or ECM? Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brokendt466e in Lowell, Massachusetts

40 months ago

John Rochester in Winfield, Alabama said: I have a 2000 international 4900 dt 530. The other day the warn engine light appeared after driving all day. It seems as though the light doesn't come on until the truck is ran for a brief period of time. It also seems like the truck lacks power once the light comes on. My local mechanic doesn't have the proper software to pin point problem. He did say he seen a code and the code says it's either injector harness, wiring harness, or ECM? Any ideas?

well my warn engine light came on last week too, and then my engine shut off but started right back up drove a mile and shut off again. does some one out there think it is electrical or maybe something else??? warn engine light blues! bock.phil@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phil Bock in Tyngsborough, Massachusetts

39 months ago

i really thank you for your inputi brought it to the dealer one more time.they say it,s the transmission is sending some kind of nerative code to engine and that is what is causing it to run poorly the thing i don,t understand is it sounds like it is only running on 5 cyl rocking vibrating and this is the tell all you can smell terribly strong fuems when it is vibrating once in a great while it will completly clear up and it runs so smooth the fuems go away the vibration stops and it shifts like it is brand new that only lasts about 5 minutes and then right back to bad... the truck vibrates so bad it shakes the whole trucki keep saying ecm and they say no even john whallen says ecm when it goes to the shop they clear the codes and the truck runs great for 1 day every time i go back to the shop there are more inactive codes... what does that mean? when it keeps trigering coads

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

International_certified_2011 in Mckees Rocks, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Very common symptoms of hp oil system. Usually when orings are going bad. Failure symptoms can occur only when cold, or only after the engine heats up, or pretty much all the time. Im assuming you're talking about an automatic transmission. That model year, there wasn't too much integrated between the engine and transmission controllers. It can be a wiring issue, especially a body ground causing it if it is an intermittent problem. I would be more concerned with the injector orings, a or several injectors or even a valve adjustment. If you haven't ever had one done they should be done approximately every 120, 000 miles. if you do any of the injectors, I would highly recommend having that done as well. If you can get me the last 8 digits of the VIN, I can get the specs for you. The valve adjust mentcan cause a lot of rough start, rough if idle and poor performance issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

i thank you once again but maybe i should let you know a little of what i am going through i bought this truck 1 year ago drove all the way to maryland from nh because it was a 17,000 mile truck which was verified by int. and low hoursi keep thinking it,s a bad ecm but int. says no the truck runs as if it is running on 4 or 5 cyl and you can smell the exaust so bad you can,t breath in the truck when you idle. it now is afecting the transmission very hard shifting i cant get the truck to excell fast enough to get the trans. to shift it struggles to get from i gear to the next it is a 250 hp. with the 3000 auto push button trans i should be able to haul 2 tons i cant even haul the aluminum bed that is on the truck the horrible thing is int cant figure it out at first they said there was no problem but they charge me 600 dollars to take it around the block that was the extent of there observation they are the worst you could imagine even the regonal manager vouches for them i can not drive the truck it is so bad i finally went to a dealership in worster mass and the manager there at least ran the vin into the comp and found that the ecm was supposed ton be rebooted so he did that and changed boost sencor on top of valve cover because someone at dealership put on the wrong one that helped a little the thing is this truck has next to no miles on it my motor runs terrible and the trans won,t shift and they tell me the engin is running poor because the trans has bad sencors or sticking valve body... can a trans sencor affect the motor? and make it vibrate so bad it shakes the whole damned truck and bed the strange thing is every time i take it to the shop the inactive codes get cleared and the truck runs better for about 20 to 30 miles idles better shifts better not like it should i still have a lot of vibration but at least it shifts and the fuems go away you can see a major change i have spent10,000 dollors getting screwed with this problem any sugestions?? help

39 months ago

i thank you once again but maybe i should let you know a little of what i am going through i bought this truck 1 year ago drove all the way to maryland from nh because it was a 17,000 mile truck which was verified by int. and low hours.i keep thinking it,s a bad ecm but int. says no. the truck runs as if it is running on 4 or 5 cyl and you can smell the exaust so bad you can,t breath in the truck when you idle. it now is afecting the transmission very hard shifting i cant get the truck to excell fast enough to get the trans. to shift it struggles to get from i gear to the next it is a 250 hp. with the 3000 auto push button trans i should be able to haul 2 tons i cant even haul the aluminum bed that is on the truck the horrible thing is int cant figure it out at first they said there was no problem but they charge me 600 dollars to take it around the block that was the extent of there observation they are the worst you could imagine even the regonal manager vouches for them i can not drive the truck it is so bad i finally went to a dealership in worster mass and the manager there at least ran the vin into the comp and found that the ecm was supposed ton be rebooted so he did that and changed boost sencor on top of valve cover because someone at dealership put on the wrong one that helped a little the thing is this truck has next to no miles on it my motor runs terrible and the trans won,t shift and they tell me the engin is running poor because the trans has bad sencors or sticking valve body... can a trans sencor affect the motor? and make it vibrate so bad it shakes the whole damned truck and bed the strange thing is every time i take it to the shop the inactive codes get cleared and the truck runs better for about 20 to 30 miles idles better shifts better. i have a lot of vibration but it shifts and the fuems go away you can see a major change i have spent10,000 dollors getting screwed with this problem any sugestions??why do i keep getting inact.codes ECM?

39 months ago

ONE MORE THING you mentioned injectors i have put in 6 new ones at only 20,000 miles the dealer said to do it. new orings. i even had to put a new head on this thing because the guy who said i was getting air out of my fuel presure regulater said it was getting by the injector cups but he scored the injector bores on 3 holes from not using the right tool to pull them 4000 dollars for that.. i could have bought a new motor and trans by now.this all could have been avoided if dealer did there job when i first went there at 17,000 they never even ran vin to find out about the ecm boost update

39 months ago

Does the truck have ABS brakes. I do recall a situation with the ABS module on a truck that had an Allison transmission that was causing poor performance issues that we had never encountered before. Albeit this was in a newer truck. If you can get me the last eight digits of the VIN, I can look up anything you need for the truck or transmission.
The next thing you can try, or have someone do this for you is to verify the coolant system integrity. There are two ways to check the cooling system, both involve pressure testing the coolant system. There first on is to pressure test it cold, without the engine running. This will tell you two things. First if there are external leaks, which really isn't going to affect the engine performance per say. If there are any visible leaks, have them repaired immediately before continuing. If during this test, you should NOT loose any pressure over a period of time at least 10 mins on the gauge, assuming that the pressure tester is not leaking itself. It may drop slightly if there is a lot of air in the system so make sure the level is full also. After a minute or so the pressure should stabilize and then hold. Do not pressurize more than the rated system pressure, usually 10 - 15 psi depending on the system. The cap will tell you or it will be on the bottle. You also should have the coolant bottle cap pressure tested. The dealer should have the adapter to do this. If you lose any pressure after stabilizing AND there are no external visible leaks, including the rad and the heater core, you may have an internal engine leak. Next, run the truck to normal operating temperature, shut it down and redo the previous procedure. If still leaking, it is a real good bet that there is an internal engine leak. If it stops leaking after the truck is hot, there may be a seal or oring that is bad. Expanding enough to seal once hot. (Running out of room, will continue)

39 months ago

Next test the system while running hot, making sure to relieve all of the pressure from the previous test before starting this test. With the tester in place, start the truck and bump up the idle to about 1000 rpm and let it run. Watch the pressure, it should build, eventually to system pressure. Under normal conditions, it should NOT go above system rated pressure. If it does go above system pressure, you DEFINITELY have an internal leak. The nice thing about this is that it can tell you if you have any internal leak, at the injector cups, the piston sleeve rings, the head, in the block, or even in the air compressor, if this one is water cooled. If there is a pressure increase above system pressure, the next step would be to drain the engine oil and then drop the pan. Re-pressurize the cooling system and look for leakage at the bottom of the engine coming from the pistons or block.
BTW if you had the injectors done, that doesn't always ensure that they are good, they are usually reman injectors.
Also, has the transmission been serviced, external filter and fluid?
Has the valve adjustment been done, I forgot to mention earlier, that the adjustment interval is 120,000 miles OR once a year. The fact that the head was replaced, the valve adjustment would have had to be done at that time, but given the incompetence you have run into so far, who knows.
Hope this helps.

39 months ago

One other issue that is common is problems with the low pressure (LP) fuel system. If there is low pressure on the fuel side of the injectors, the truck won't run very well. Check the fuel tank(s) for contamination, water, oil or even rust. The low pressure fuel pump does wear out on these engines. Fuel pressure for this engine should be above 60psi at all times. If it is not then there is a problem. The main causes are water or air in the fuel, bad fuel, a broken pick up tube in the fuel tank, a clogged filter, a faulty LP fuel pump or a leak in the system.
I'm not sure I understood why they changed the head for a fuel system leak at the injector cups. If the cups were leaking, you were more likely to have water in the oil. The fuel reaching the cylinder at the compression stroke of the engine is atomized and if leaking you would have seen other evidence such as fuel in the coolant bottle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.