How hard is it to get your foot in the door??? Going to get degree in Diesel Tech at 2 year college

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jsdhesmith5 in Santa Maria, California

59 months ago

Starting school pretty soon, i'm interested in working as a fleet mechanic in a large scale trucking company, looks like they are some of the best jobs out there for Tractor Mechanics, is this true, or is it better to work in small shops? I see that somplaces even allow school as experience, is this common? I will most likely have to relocate for jobs, I live in a small city with not much room for opportunuity, thanks everyone.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

foreman

35 months ago

It's very easy to be a diesel tech for a large fleet. I first started with one of the biggest fleets out there. I only got paid 12.50 an hour even with my ase. So I started going to diffrent fleets. And now I'm on my 5th biggest fleet making 22 an hour and I know us diesel techs should get way more for what we handle and do. I have some friends that work with small true family owned fleets and he's making 4 bucks more then me. To get top dollar u need to get into a union job...trust me don't waste 10 years to figure it out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.