Director of nursing Salary??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

G. B. in Hondo, Texas

58 months ago

I am a DON at a Pediatric Home Health agency in Texas and am in the process of negotiating salary. I now have one year experience and took my agency from a survey one year ago, prior to my employment, from recommendations for closure to 100% satisfactory survey with no difficiencies, no violations in less than a year. I've also assisted in the openning of a second facility in a different city. It is now time for my annual review. I feel a raise is in order. I started the posistion at $70,000 with no experience, but I am unsure of what would be considered a fair salary.. I feel the owners of the agency I work for will pay what I ask, if what I ask is within reason, but I've had a difficult time finding out what salary would be considered within reason.. Are there any fellow senior DON's out there that might have some helpful advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Tallahassee, Florida

58 months ago

G. B. in Hondo, Texas said: I am a DON at a Pediatric Home Health agency in Texas and am in the process of negotiating salary. I now have one year experience and took my agency from a survey one year ago, prior to my employment, from recommendations for closure to 100% satisfactory survey with no difficiencies, no violations in less than a year. I've also assisted in the openning of a second facility in a different city. It is now time for my annual review. I feel a raise is in order. I started the posistion at $70,000 with no experience, but I am unsure of what would be considered a fair salary.. I feel the owners of the agency I work for will pay what I ask, if what I ask is within reason, but I've had a difficult time finding out what salary would be considered within reason.. Are there any fellow senior DON's out there that might have some helpful advice?

If I may ask, what are your credentials (Masters? Degree?) From what I know here in Tallahassee, that is taken into consideration very highly. Our hospital has a annual raise of 3%, but if it is negotiable at your work, I wouldn't think that asking for 7% increase would be out of line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

G. B. in Hondo, Texas

58 months ago

I have an Associates degree, but over 18yrs nursing experience. The difficulty is that homehealth pay rates are very different from hospital or nursing facilty pay rates. Thank you for your reply; but, I had to negotiate my salary yesterday and I think the terms came out fairly equitable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Help in Lenoir, North Carolina

49 months ago

I know it has been a long time since you posted but I would like to ask you some question. Everyone where I live acts like you are competing directly with them when you ask about ways to further your career. I am new to nursing, accually very new. I was in Law Enforcement before, so this is a big change. I have just finished my BSN and would like to going Forensic Nursing, but was also thinking about DON. Could you tell me some class avenue's to take or what would make me market better? Thank you so much in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lesannrn98 in Meridian, Idaho

49 months ago

One important factor in a DON is leadership. As a DON and past staff nurse I know that your nursing staff will look for you for guidance. Excellent clinical skills are a must because you will need to not only monitor your staff but teach staff. I have found that my past experience dating back to CNA days has been most critical. This gets the staff on board because they know you know what you are doing. DON is a tough job, long hours, many different hats. Definitely check to see if there is an ADON and a SDC (staff development coordinator) where you interview. These two positions will be a huge help to any DON.

With your background in law enforcement - I would think forensics would be wonderful. There are courses to take which will certify you in this field. I do know the nurses here who are certified in post rape forensics are awesome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Deborah in Fort Worth, Texas

45 months ago

Nursing working as Home Health Care DON in Texas with over 5 years experiance is making between 80 and 90 K... You need to make sure your last surveys have been really good...If you ask for a raise, you best look at the number of clients your agency has...The avg., agency is only making about 1,000 net a week per client. This will give you some idea, of the money they are making.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.