Taking a new Director of Nursing position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Amy in Jefferson, Iowa

80 months ago

I was the previously the ADON at this nursing home and left because I wanted a DON position. I went to work for another company and did not like the company at all. The DON position at my previous company has opened up and they called and want me to come back. Am I crazy!!!! I am doing medical transcriptioning from home and love it, but the money is not that great. I love nursing and want to get back into it. The stress is not something that I look foreward to. Any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LTC Recruiter in Columbus, Ohio

79 months ago

If you love working with the residents and feel that the joy you get from that will more than compensate for the stress, then do it. But if it will diminish your quality of life, then don't. It is hard for you to care for others if you are not taking care of yourself!
Best of luck no matter what!

Sharon in Columbus, Ohio

79 months ago

Amy:

What a nice dilemma to be in, if you think about it.

The first question I would ask you is, WHY did you leave the former employer in the first place? Has the reason why you left changed? If the reason was the job or a person, it may very well be fine to return. If the reason was the company, the owner, the culture, etc., it likely has not changed. That would be the first thing I would consider.

For you job you're doing at home and loving, can you expand on it to earn more money, or do adjust it in some way that will allow you to use your nursing degree? If so, explore that option first. It's rare that we have jobs we love.

At the end of the day, this is a classic pro/con listing issue. What will you be giving up and gaining to take the DON job versus your current job?

Good luck.
Sharon
www.permanent-ink.com

David Crn1969 in Perris, California

71 months ago

Sharon in Columbus, Ohio said: Amy:

What a nice dilemma to be in, if you think about it.

The first question I would ask you is, WHY did you leave the former employer in the first place? Has the reason why you left changed? If the reason was the job or a person, it may very well be fine to return. If the reason was the company, the owner, the culture, etc., it likely has not changed. That would be the first thing I would consider.

For you job you're doing at home and loving, can you expand on it to earn more money, or do adjust it in some way that will allow you to use your nursing degree? If so, explore that option first. It's rare that we have jobs we love.

At the end of the day, this is a classic pro/con listing issue. What will you be giving up and gaining to take the DON job versus your current job?

Good luck.
Sharon
www.permanent-ink.com

I'm gonna guess and answer that question: the position of DON is going to give the power this person needs to deal with the very problem that sent her to look elsewhere to work. Just a guess. DC

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.