What do you enjoy most about your dishwasher career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 97 of 97)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Nath in Sydney, Australia

32 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I can't believe there's a forum on dishwashing....92 comments.

Allright.....raise your hand if your an illegal.

Just wondering...are these dish washers bigger than the ones in a person's home?

Often they are industrial type washers, like this one - www.commercialdishwashers.biz/images/commercial-dishwashers.jpg - where you slide the tray in and close the lid and bam it goes. Usually it has a sump of water that detergent is added to every cycle and clean water is used on the rinse. Takes about 1min for a wash and 30s for the rinse, so it is damn quick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Loch Sheldrake, New York

32 months ago

Nath in Sydney, Australia said: Often they are industrial type washers, like this one - www.commercialdishwashers.biz/images/commercial-dishwashers.jpg - where you slide the tray in and close the lid and bam it goes. Usually it has a sump of water that detergent is added to every cycle and clean water is used on the rinse. Takes about 1min for a wash and 30s for the rinse, so it is damn quick.

Thank you for the explanation and picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gee in Brooklyn, New York

32 months ago

headed to a dishwasher job in Long Island City today, he says I start immediately so dress to work, what should I wear?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Wear long pants and a breathable shirt, ie polo or something, it gets real hot in the kitchen. I suggest wear trackies on your first shift, however invest in a good pair of long pants ie construction style. Mine are water resistant, which is amazing. Also you will want to wear leather waterproof shoes.

Gee in Brooklyn, New York

32 months ago

Thanks. I have those types of clothing already. and my black sneaker/boots should be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

As long as those sneakers aren't mesh style. Make sure they are completely closed

Alex in Golden, Colorado

32 months ago

Ahh Dishwashing...

The Bad:
1. I work extremely long hours (sometimes up to 14) and can't even find time to take a bathroom break.
2. Random parties of 40+ people wich equals around 100 plates, 100 cups, 200 forks 100 knives, up to 50 saute pans and around 5 pizza pans.
3. Cooks wanting me to learn how to cook when I already know how to, but don't have the time.
4 Hot, high-pressure water shooting food and ungodly substances into my face.
5. Not the cleaning of silverware, but the sorting of it, cuz lazy bussers can't do it. ( Apparently their lounging takes energy.)uickly.
6. 5 bussers and 4 waitresses who do not know how to clean plates and stack like-items, even though its their only hard job.
7. A new, 21 year old manager who is so god damn power-hungry that she tries to make me do pointless stuff to show her power. (Even though she is only wait-staff boss so i am her boss haha.)

The Good:
1.I eat all the free food I want, and I get free drinks all day.
2.Pay is steady, so i do not have to worry about getting tips.
3. Some cooks spea k spanish, so I don't have to really listen to them.
4. If I am told to go get something I can simply say that I am busy, and I do not have to get it anymore.
5. THe job isn't that hard, because in the end everything gets done, it's just tedious and boring.
6. I can hook up my friends with work whenverI want, because I am allowed to have up to two more dishwashers, so two of my buddies now work when I do not.

Overall its a easy job, not the best pay, quick advancement, and the days go by q

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Tiverton, Rhode Island

32 months ago

I've been a dishwasher for for a year now and I absolutely HATE IT. It makes me upset just thinking that i have to go to that crappy job where i work with people that go no where and temperamental chefs who expect us dishwashers to do everything. It's the worst job in the world I hate it more than anything. My shift starts in an hour and I want to cry right now. I'm quitting tonight so wish me good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

32 months ago

Dishwasher in Tiverton, Rhode Island said: I've been a dishwasher for for a year now and I absolutely HATE IT. It makes me upset just thinking that i have to go to that crappy job where i work with people that go no where and temperamental chefs who expect us dishwashers to do everything. It's the worst job in the world I hate it more than anything. My shift starts in an hour and I want to cry right now. I'm quitting tonight so wish me good luck!

good luck with quitting your job tonight

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seth Baker in Oxford, Florida

32 months ago

I just started washing dishes. I work at a country club, make 8.50 an hour, drink soda all day, and get a free meal. It's perfect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

smirl2224 in Eagle, Colorado

32 months ago

To be honest, dishwashing iz the worst job ever. I hate it. Although I am good at it I hate the fact that people are having a life while I am here washing dishes. I ALSO HATE IT WHEN YOU ARE VERY QUICK AND FINISH CLEANING EVERYTHING AND THE COOKS ARE BUSY AND GET PISSED BECAUSE YOU ARE TAKING A BREAK AT START GIVING YOU RANDOM $hIT TO CLEAN, or the boss comes ans tells you to clean something. WE COULD ALL DO BETTER THAN THIS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mic in Ottawa, Ontario

31 months ago

Sheila in Southampton, Pennsylvania said: I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I am a waitress and I am paid $2.50 an hour. Along with serving customers, and some food prep, I am expected to wash all of the dishes, pots and pans etc. I take out all of the trash and vacuum and sweep and mop. Some days there are very few customers. Yesterday I made $22 dollars in tips and did all of the other work I just mentioned. It does'nt seem right. I've never heard of a restaurant where the waitresses do all of that and still get paid $2.50 an hour. Am I a fool?

I get 11.50 as a dishwasher... you should of got at least 8$

anon in Christchurch, New Zealand

31 months ago

its one sh#ter of a job but you feel like you have accomplished something for the day,even if no one gives a s##t or says thank you or acknowledges you busting your @ss for 9 hours.
the only way is up from this job,makes you one strong mutha if you can stick it out for a least more than six months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bbsracer in Methuen, Massachusetts

31 months ago

I've been doing dishes for about 4 months it is not really the worst job but it does get a bit frustrating. I sometimes get free food from the cooks but have to eat very sneakily. I get all the drinks I want. I work with another person most the time. You sometimes aren't only assigned dishes but also food prep. I like that it's constant work so your always busy. If you come to work not wanting to work you will hate it quick. I personally never wash dishes only 2 or 3 days a week maby for 2 hours or less I organize more than I actually wash. The Job is pretty crappy but my fellow coworkers all over the kitchen are pretty cool.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

donethedishesnothappy in Phoenix, Arizona

31 months ago

1. No respect you're basically a janitor.
2. You are underpaid for the amount of work you do.
3. You go home soaked down to the underwear every night.
4. You work with a majority of people who are going nowhere.
5. The same tedious work everyday.
6. You have to do the grossest work the restaurant has to offer
7. Be prepared to buy new clothes every couple of weeks.
8. You scrape the food off no one wanted off of thousands of plates. This is the reject of food, it wasn't fit enough to become excrement.
9. It is boring, mindless, manual labor.
10. You work ridiculous hours, 10am-12am. Repeat 5x per week.
11. Your bosses most likely treat you like dirt because they see you as an uneducated Janitor as opposed to a kid trying to pay his way college.

Summed up, forget dish washing, there are much much better jobs out there and odds are you are being taken advantage of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

jhild30 in Shell Rock, Iowa

31 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a dishwasher ? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I am a dishwasher in Iowa and i been there for 2 years. They hired me i had 4 years of dishwasher skills. Want i hate the MOST IS I WORK WILL SEVERS WHO CAN'T USE HEADS TO KNOW NOT TO STACK BUSTUBS UP HIGH, BUT THERE CAN GO TO COLLEGE AND USE THERE HEAD FOR CLASSES.. They Stack the bustubs up high and they don't care... Im back in a prep room by myshelf I like to help the business out. I make the floor clean, and i a butt kicking at my job, I had one sever throw a plate and ranch and onion rings fell on the floor and they left it there i had to clean it up. I work @ 7.25

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

ka in Kelowna, British Columbia

31 months ago

how heavy can a large tray of cutlery be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Candler, North Carolina

31 months ago

It beats retail...that's about all I can say. I make $8 an hour; I would quit immediately if I found a place which paid $10+ or gave me tips. At the end of the day, it's a repetitive and tedious job - but so is retail. I'd rather sweat for 6-8 hours straight than deal with the vast majority of people. There's no 'future' in this and you really have no incentive to become a cook, they're generally paid roughly the same amount, and have to deal with the servers screaming at them about fixing orders. I've tried cooking before and it gets old fast.

I somewhat miss the last place I worked at, the job was still tedious but the staff was a lot more fun. This place is a lot more professional - though I'm still paid the same wage (what's up with that?). The work environment is better in some regard and it's worse in others; I'm bored out of my mind back there with nobody to talk to at this place. It's okay as a part-time job and simply a means of getting you through college. Never consider it a 'career' because it isn't.

tl;dr You're going to sweat all night, not be paid nearly enough, will be physically exhausted by the end of the shift, and you're a fool if you actually consider this 'job' a 'career'. Dishwashing is as dead-end of a job as it comes. You have no true allegiance to an employer nor should you. Always look for more $$$. Also, I have to pay $5 for parking at the end of my shift because I have to park in a parking garage. I make $8 an hour and work 3 days a week. I'm essentially working 2 hours for free. I wish my employer could at least pay for my parking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ricktheruler in Destrehan, Louisiana

30 months ago

Worst job ever in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Dish *itch that is basically what is comes down to bust your ass for little shifts of 5 hours and then screwed on tips and pay. Well others get to stand around and ea fkt food . Then get pissed off as your not going fast enough as they need to close the store soon. Been doing this for a whole two weeks, never again. I hate this job with a passion.

Me too man me too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Largo, Florida

29 months ago

Washing dishes is the EASIEST job you can ever hope to do. I've worked 4 different restaurants in the Dish Pit. Easy easy easy.

Wear jeans, no slip shoes and a tee shirt. Put on an apron, sling a towel over your shoulder and tie a bandanna on your head.

It's wet, it's hot and it's busy. The time flies by though.

Get a system going. I toss all the silverware in the sink and concentrate on one type of dish at a time. All the cups first since they are the biggest pain, the bowls next then the plates. As soon as you see a pot, put soap and water in it!

Keep the cups, plates and bowls clean. Silverware is a breeze after it's been soaking for a few minutes. Save the pots and pans for the end of your shift.

It's methodical, it's tiresome and it's boring, but it frees my mind up to think about other things.

And my nails are always clean and my hands are soft.

Trust me, there are worse ways to make a buck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

dan in Ottawa, Ontario said: I sort of like being the dirty monster who goes to war with the dishes. If I had to do it sober, I'd probably quit, but luckily I go to work completely stoned *every* shift. And the bonus is I'm pretty sure everybody in the banquet hall knows I'm a total pothead, but they keep their mouths shut because I can kick some dish-ass. And whoever said ramicans suck is completely right. But the word ramican is awesome. I like saying it.

Thanks for making me laugh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia P in Toronto, Ontario

28 months ago

I've been a dishwasher for two months; catering company; 10,25/hr.

Dislikes:
- was BRUTAL on my body at first. I got used to it after approx 2 weeks.
- hands are totally beaten up from the hot water and hot dishes coming out of the washer. I wear 2 sets of gloves. I have burns and slather my hands in vaseline and wear gloves when I sleep. This helps A LOT. Hands are still repulsive and dry and damaged; I am embarassed to shake other people's hands.
- feeling that others look down on me (sometimes) and how everybody gets to complain but the dishwasher can't.
- some people will always be thoughtless and rude and stack or not stack dishes just to (seemingly) piss you off.
- getting wet (you get less wet, the more you get used to it).
- lots of foreigners with poor English in kitchen prep so no one really to "bond" with. They are all the same nationality so they talk to each other in their language, which is annoying.

- Nice & tired at the end of the day. Better than retail: the days fly by. When you have worries, this makes a difference.
- good workout. Along with cycling or walking to/from work, there is no need to go to the gym.
- hired to work 8 hrs but it's more like 8 1/2 - 9 hrs and 10 hours at least once a week. If I work more than 44 hrs/wk, I get time and a half. Significant overtime during the holidays.
- thoughtful, respectful staff and boss. This forum shows how much of a difference that makes.
- company also has a fancy store. Leftovers & nearly expired foods are up for grabs so LOTS of free food. Chefs make big lunch for staff once or twice a week.
- I asked for & am permitted to listen to my ipod on speaker in the dishpit. BIG dif.
- Nobody tells me what to do or that I'm going too slow; I can tune out everyone if I want..and sometimes I want.
- I have time to think, plan. Plan for something better soon.
- I like the feeling of getting something done - each day has closure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stan brule in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

i dont understand how anyone could possibly enjoy this job. when it's busy you're moving non stop and getting pounded by dishes for hours. when it's not busy it's extremely boring and you're always forced to do tedious busy work like mopping the entire restaurant. aside from just the dishwashing, i also am forced to cook every nasty greasy chicken order, and as everyone else says, the silverware is the worst. youll go home smelling disgusting, feeling disgusting and pretty much being disgusting. i also put up with crap from numerous cooks and waitresses because they pretty much look down on me. the even call me a "dish bum". i worked it for 2 and a half months and just snapped and quit yesterday. all in all, there are better jobs out there. avoid dishwashing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tito.. in Orlando, Florida

26 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a dishwasher ? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Dishwashing was the first job I had when I came to America. I cleaned dished and mop floors. It is not a really bad job bad the worst par is that some cooks look you down and insult you right on your face. I did it for 6 months, moving to server. My worst job was to be behind a cashier in Office Depot. I'd rather scurb dishes than do that job again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Baltimore, Maryland

26 months ago

I can't believe dish washing jobs (at least in my area), want people to have experience. I never see any dish washing positions on websites for the restaurants or other reliable job sites. All the dish washing jobs I've seen end up on Craigslist.

I got interviewed for one dish washing job that wasn't posted on Craigslist though but it was back in 2004. It was for the Cheesecake Factory. They rejected me because I had no experience being that it was the 1st job I applied for after high school. I did service learning hours prior to graduation but all I did was clean erasers for my teachers and wipe down chalk boards (I had never worked any summer jobs prior to graduation from high school).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

26 months ago

dan in Ottawa, Ontario said: I sort of like being the dirty monster who goes to war with the dishes. If I had to do it sober, I'd probably quit, but luckily I go to work completely stoned *every* shift. And the bonus is I'm pretty sure everybody in the banquet hall knows I'm a total pothead, but they keep their mouths shut because I can kick some dish-ass. And whoever said ramicans suck is completely right. But the word ramican is awesome. I like saying it.

Do the forks and knives ever talk to you, like they did in 'Beauty and the Beast.'

You are funny dan. I remember when I first learned the word ramican (I thought it was ramikan, but whatever). I love saying that word too - and like to sound sorta erudite and bring it up when appropriate, hoping the person I am with asks me what it means. ;)

Dish boy in Wayne, New Jersey

26 months ago

Many times cooks/ chefs will not hire you p/t without a culinary education unless you are a dishwasher and or prep. Despite my extensive experience in the business FOH - I really enjoy working with food, have a college degree in another area of work. but I love the business and learning. so I am forced to always work as a dishwasher to make extra money p/t and be part of the learning process even at a small scale.

iIf they only knew my extensive management background in restaurants for FOH- 1 they would never hire me and 2 - they would not be able to comprehend why an executive would want to wash dishes. my reply would be I don't I don't mind but it is the only job that I have a chance of getting in a professional kitchen. I read, work hard and end up dirty, soaking wet and smelly- all because I want to learn without paying for a culinary degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Skippy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

25 months ago

I've been washing dishes for about 4 days now, and I can tell you that it's better than any sort of fast-food by a LONG SHOT.

As for me; I'm an introvert. I don't really like associating with people, especially if I don't know them.. So dishes works out for me pretty nicely. I have time to talk to myself (in my head haha) and just think about everything under the sun, and since I'm a perfectionist and I don't really have someone standing over my shoulder, I can look at the dishes and make sure they're all perfect before I put them away.

I have a great boss that is also the owner of the restaurant and 100% Greek with a heavy accent which makes everything he says just awesome and funny at the same time, and he forces his employees to drink his soup and try his dishes so it's pretty great. (We CAN say no but he insists, haha) Also, the waitresses are all female and pretty decent looking so that's always fun, and me and the other cook get along pretty nicely.

My only complaints about the job is the fact I don't have a dish washing machine like others do; I have to use 3 tubs of different temperatures of water with certain amounts of soap/bleach etc and do them all by hand.. This wouldn't really be a problem if the sink wasn't mounted so low. The sink is mounted around my crotch level (I'm about 5' 8") And I find myself bending over for the majority of the shift, and at the end of the day, and into the next, my lower back is terribly sore.

For anyone else in my position of soreness, I looked it up and found out that you should try to bend your knees or just lower yourself some how so the sinks are closer to your abdomen area and you don't have to bend over.

I get paid 7.25 an hour, and I don't really need the money so bad so it's nice for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Skippy in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

25 months ago

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. When one of the cook's isn't busy or just finished cooking, he'll actually come back and help me with the dishes he helped create. He's a great guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jahlive in San Diego, California

25 months ago

Im a dishwasher at the busiest chilis in my town.
Never worked a dishwashing gig so tough before.

Positive's
-Great food( Free )
- Cute waitress
- Cool co workers who help you any way they can! Bless there heart ya dig lol
-Goes by quick
- Good zen meditation(Thinking of something better to do with my life)
- I sing and do poems so i get new ideas and practice my vocals lol
- Im high as THE SKY Stoned keeping my smile.
- I bright my self into it so cant complain too much

Negative's
- No manager leadership ( Giving proper credit due to dishwasher ) (Non alpha/omega teamwork)
- Busy busy restraunt and only have one dishwasher
-I come in to work to a city of dishes every time
-waitors and waitresses asking for muiltiple things at one time when i only got two hands. ( even tho they dont intentionaly mean to upset you )
-Trying to play the restraunts juggler
-Low pay
-not the most respect you get for being a dishwasher even tho i kick ass and im awesome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jahlive in San Diego, California

25 months ago

Brought****

Queen of clean in Airdrie, Alberta

23 months ago

LOVE not dealing with customers!!!! i do my own thing and ppl leave me alone! probably cause im a dishwasher but im not there for them, im there to help support my family ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

eb1989 in Chula Vista, California

21 months ago

Can dishwashing for more than a year damage your face? Like can your skin become all wrinkly, saggy, and old from all the steam you get when spraying with the nozzle 8 hours a day. Has anyone's face "changed"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Blaze in Harvey, Louisiana

20 months ago

After reading other comments I really feel like i'm being taken advantage of. I work for 6$ a hour. I can get as many hours as I want but the job I have to do as dishwasher is much more than other people posting here. I have to clean off all the trash on the plates all day with no complaint, which most people here are saying is bull. Also I have to go through the restraunt unloading dishes. Throughout the day, while maintaining the dishes which is hard enough already, I have to clean the bathrooms, mop the floors, and also help the cooks. We close the doors for customers at 11 and I'm expected to be finished at 11. At about 10:30 the cooks bring the entire kitchen to me to clean which is about 3 stacks to the roof and is impossible to clean in half a hour, so the manager always catches crap with me for it. I also only get 1 five minute break for a 10 hour shift

I have to say though the worst part is the silverware because there's sooo much silverware, and also the worst part is the people who work the shift before me leave me with all of the hard stuff to clean which takes forever and leaves my station trashed so i have to clean it before i can even work. The only good part is im taking home 60$ cash per 10 hour shift.

tiff1006

20 months ago

The thing i hate the most is the constant standing and walking up stairs with heavy buckets of dishes every 10min. Well the actual dishes arent that bad. I dont get too upset wen i get a lot of dishes at once. I could do that all day my only problem is the standing and running up and down the stair during a longggg shift. Barely any time for breaks.

Dishwasher in Oakville, Ontario

19 months ago

Being a dishwasher really isn't that bad. I just started a week ago and it's my first job. The only pain the in ass is when you first come in and start your shift and 40 plates, pots and pans are already waiting for you. I don't know why people complain about the silverware all you gotta do it put it in one tray and boom, slide it through.

The likes:
Free drinks
Only 2 or 3 cooks so no one bothers you
During the end of the night you can just chill
My boss makes staff leave at the end of the night because of labour costs, less work for me ha.

The dislikes:
Too many pans and pots that will only fit one at a time in the dishwasher
Cleaning plates over and over again if food didnt come off the first time
Having the boss make you do other little tasks while you have to keep the dishes clean
No tips
It's super slippery, get some non slip shoes if you can
Plates might be up on high shelves so if you're short like me you can barely reach them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiff1006 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

19 months ago

Every dish washing job is different. While yours may.br easier, others may jot be. At my restaurant the silver ware are irritating, theres a killion of them and u have to spray them.put them thru the dish washer then polish them one by one. I have to bring the dishes to the cooks up a flight of stairs every 10min in a huge bin, then bring.dack down huhe bins of more dishes when i already have huge piles of dishes waiting for me downstairs. Aside from me having to bring the dishes up all the stairs i have to sort them out where they have to go without being in the chefs way (Impossible) which takes extra time. People are coming downstairs rushing me, i break plates all the time being over whelmed. NO breaks. Its impossible to have a break at my job. Then they expect me to take out all the trashes and wash walls mop sweep on my OWN. I dont leave work until about 1:45am while everyone else has left at 12-1am. Its not the same for everyone but my job suck. I guess im losing good weight from all the heaving lifting n constant stair walking though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Saint George, Utah

18 months ago

Honestly dishwashing is the worst job i've ever had. I've only been working here for 2 months and it's a joke. I have to bus all the tables and wash all the dishes by myself. It's a monumental task to accomplish every night. It seems like most of the cooks just stand around and watch me work because they don't have anything better to do.

ac in South Ozone Park, New York

18 months ago

I would rather clean dishes than deal with customers. I hate customer service! A dish-washing job is great for an introvert who's not afraid of a little hard labor. I would rather deal with dirty dishes than deal with an annoying customer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine in Brisbane, Australia

15 months ago

very few things are enjoyable as a dishwasher.

At least, not where I work anyway! For starters, you always get treated as a lesser human being. I hate that.

Where I work, the waitresses are all lazy, up themselves and all they really do is eat! Every five minutes (regardless of whether or not it is busy in the restaurant)they waltz in and grab whatever they can find without asking the chef(s) beforehand, they're always dressed in short black, practically cocktail dresses for their uniform and they never clear the plates off like they're supposed to.

The manager is USELESS. Every month he has a week long 'holiday' which makes it known that he doesn't really give a crap about us (employees in general) he's never in a good mood which makes him unapproachable and he refuses to hire anyone else to help in the kitchen (there is only 4 of us doing just under 90 people a night) yet there is a new sleazy looking waitress every week.

ON THE UPSIDE the experience you gain watching the chefs at work and of course the good $$$ for doing such an easy and mundane task.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

unobrown in Woodbridge, Virginia

11 months ago

yea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

unobrown in Woodbridge, Virginia

11 months ago

true

djphatmac in Orlando, Florida

7 months ago

dishwasher dave in Pelican Rapids, Minnesota said: anybody work at a restaurant where they serve ribs on those metal plates with the bbq sauce burnt on so you have to soak it in scalding hot water just to have to waste 10 minutes chipping it away with a fork?

i hate that.

Soak it in degreaser for about 10 minutes, it should come right off with MUCH less effort. Don't even need to use "scaulding hot water". Trust me, it's much easier. I work in an Indian restaurant, and they give me drip pans from the oven they cook the marinated chicken. They just pile on a curry rub mix that is just hell to clean off. But soak it in degreaser, it melts off.

Dakota Bonez in Austin, Texas

7 months ago

I get paid $7.25/hour and work the closing shifts.
I'm jealous of the dishwashers here on this forum who get a free meal or get to work by themselves as late as they want to get the job done. I have to pay for my food and be out of the restaurant by 10:00.

I work in a fairly busy restaurant, the dish room has an industrial washing machine so I don't have to wash stuff by hand too much. I usually work with a 2nd dishwasher who shows up a few hours after me, and I really need it, because there are simply too many dishes for one man to finish by 9:30. The restaurant closes at 8:00/8:30, giving me approximately an hour to clean all of the stuff that is suddenly brought back all at once, jncluding the chefs and butchers tools, pots, pans, and all of the food pans and gravy trays from the buffet line which they take way too long to bring back to me.
If I don't finish by 10:00 the boss gets mad but sends me home, the morning dishwashers take care of what I leave behind. If I'm lucky enough to have a 2nd dishwasher with me all day, and I don't get interrupted to fix a clogged toilet, take out the trash twice, or refill the ice machine, then we can finish all of the dishes by 9:30, but unclogging the drains, taking the machine apart, scrubbing the walls takes another 15 minutes at least, and while I'm trying to clean, people keep bringing back more dishes. Usually I have to work by myself until an hour before closing and they wonder how the dish pile gets so big.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phill in Missoula, Montana

7 months ago

Some are good, some are terrible, some are kinda weird. My first one was at a family restaurant that also did deliveries which was a task for the dishwasher. Big thing I learned there was that I had to wash things pretty quickly. Since it was a somewhat small place if I didn't hurry there wouldn't be plates and stuff for the customers. Usually not too bad though, I got plenty of breaks because of the deliveries, tips too. Not much to complain about there other than having to pay for my own gas and needing to drive about 25 miles to get to my job.
2nd one was terrible. I was taking about 18 credits and was told I'd be working just 4-5 days a week like I had asked for. Instead I usually got 6-7, 3pm to usually 1-2 am and I had to get up around 7am for classes. I was only there for a couple months, usually worked by myself because all the other dishwashers would quick since we got dishes from the bar, restaurant, and there was nearly daily catering going on too. Everyone else would leave around 10-11. Sometimes the one actually nice cook would help out if he saw I was particularly backed up because it's just dishes and it's really one of the most important parts of any restaurant. It did get to the point where I never had time to sleep or do homework and I told the main chef/employer guy I wasn't coming in the next day because I had school priorities and he hardly considered my own problems with that and trying to work there. Just told me if I didn't come in I was fired, and I was ok with that. Pretty much everyone felt bad for the dishwasher except for him because he wouldn't even consider breaking up that 1 whole shift into two or anything. Free food, if you had the time (you didn't), breaks whenever if you had the time (HA). Wasn't actually too bad but I was going to college at the time so it sucked. 3rd and current 4th dishwashing jobs are heaven in comparison though. Just have a couple rushes to get through and you're golden, 4th one actually gets tip %'s too.

Bruno Adams in Maricopa, Arizona

6 months ago

*#&$ Ramekins and silverware..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

6 months ago

I Both enjoyed and hated my dishwashing experience. I worked at a restaraunt that served about 400-800 people a night (except mondays and tuesdays)for a full year. When I first started, it was slow work,and I would get behind and be stuck washing dishes until 3-4 hours after close, and I would come out a stinky, wet mess. The only thing that I enjoyed was the free meals. For the first month, nobody bothered to remember my name or give me over 20 hours because they figured most high school dishwashers quit within a month anyways. Oh and the wait staff were the rudest whiniest people ive met, constantly nagging for extra silverware or something to make their sidework go faster, without caring that Im too busy to do their work for them.

after the first 3 months the job got alot better. I was no longer fatigued after 4 hours of standing and running around a kitchenand used to being soaked and smelly, I was faster at washing and got out at a reasonable time, I got about 25-35 hours a week, and the head chef would teach me how to prep dishes when it was slow at my station. The cooks would come over and help if i was behind or they would make me food without me asking them. but the wait staff will always be selfish whiny inconsiderate douchebags.

And in the last couple months of my time at the restaurant, I was everybodys favorite guy. Everyone would say how glad they were that I was working because I was so fast (I could get rid of a complete mess that normally takes 2 hours to clean up in 30 min). The head chef would give me a list of things to prep, or i would just find something to prep on my own, which was great because I made 10$ an hour as a prep cook and dishwasher and i got 45 hours a week. It got to the point where on the 2 days i had off, the kitchen wouldnt function without me.

As a dishwasher, I was very respected, made 10$ an hour, learned how to do everyones job, and mine without getting behind.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.