What do you enjoy most about your dishwasher career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 122)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Bill in Collingwood, Ontario

34 months ago

bestjobever in Kitchener, Ontario said: Expect to get screwed over big time.

need a change email me midlandman03@hotmail.com we can talk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Nath in Kellyville, Australia said: Love getting almost fired because work hires a apprentice chef that does cleanup duties for 1st year.

need a change email me midlandman03@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

chuk fitz in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: im the only dishwasher in a restaurant/best western & banquets gettin over 50 hrs a week i make more than 2 of the managers but i think the key is strong work ethic, respect and havin a good reputation...if u have that evrybody will love u and u will feel alot better at your job nowing u are appreciated. i do 200-300ppl weddings while maintaing regular dining on a seperate floor in the building dining sum nights i challenge any1 here to a dish-off lmao

If you want a change email me midlandman03@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Alex in Dover, New Jersey said: I'll admit, I never thought that there'd be a forum for us dishwashers. I'm only paid $7.50 an hour so you guys getting paid $10 are lucky. I really like the staff and the managers are all awesome but my God is the work depressing. Theres just so much crap to clean and incompetent servers who can't stack or clean plates piss me off. Closing time is a nightmare because all the various tools and pots/pans that were used throughout the night are thrown at you all at once. Even worse is the incompetence of the other dishwashers. I work at a fair sized restaurant so there's usually 2-4 dishwashers at once. The problem is that they always show up HOURS late or not at all. All of them either quit or get fired because of their stupidity. I'm one of the two original dishwashers there because all of the others left. The new guys we're hiring now don't even last a week and the other vet guy I mentioned might quit also. The good thing is that we get a home-cooked lunch and I occasionally get free food from the chefs. All the the chefs like me and despite my short time working here, I've gained the respect of all the managers. I've only been working here 2 months so when can I ask for a raise?

Anyhow, I'd really like to hear the rest of you guys' stories

Need something new email me at midlandman03@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Travis Pinder in Apopka, Florida said: where do you work?

would you like something a little different let me know midlandman03@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

YoungAndJaded in New York, New York

34 months ago

access to free dish soap. opportunities to gain hands-on experience in dishwashing sciences. room for advancement to manager of dishwashers. masochistic satisfaction of being put down as the sludge of the Earth even though I am just as hardworking as everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Mary Julia in Osage Beach, Missouri said: Willing to work flexible hrs/ weekends as steward/ busser for $8+/hr. Avilable, mature HELP ME!!!

If you are over 19 years of age and want a change email me midlandman03@hotmail.com no its no illegal lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Nathaniel in Mapleton, Maine said: I have been working as a dishwasher for the past 4 months, like most of you I have to sweep and mop the entire kitchen, sort silverware and deal with crappy wait staff who couldn't do my job to save their life. I recently found out that because of work I now have not only carpal tunnel but also possible peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage in my hands because of hot water exposure) not only does my boss not care that I have these 2 problems because I am overworked, she blames me for the damage to my hands and is doing everything she can to not pay me for the 9 days and possibly more to come because I cannot move my wrists repeatedly without causing my carpal tunnel to become more severe than it already is. She is also making me see a doctor who doesn't even take the time to do more than a couple tap tests on my wrist to tell me what's wrong with my own body....that is not what a doctor is supposed to do and my usual doctor who I went to see first about it was very helpful and took the time to see the actual problem but since it's now a workmanship comp case I can no longer see him about it....my advice to anyone who wants to be a dishwasher, chose who you work for carefully because you may end up like me, with nerve damage that could adversely affect the rest of my life and a boss that could care less about making sure I get the treatment I deserve and desperately need before the damage gets any worse.....oh yeah, I'm also only 19 so this pretty much messes up all of my plans for the future because everything I am good at requires full use of my hands

You have problems I might be able to help you email me at midlandman03@hotmail.com we can talk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

katherine in Yelm, Washington

33 months ago

Sheila in Southampton, Pennsylvania said: I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I am a waitress and I am paid $2.50 an hour. Along with serving customers, and some food prep, I am expected to wash all of the dishes, pots and pans etc. I take out all of the trash and vacuum and sweep and mop. Some days there are very few customers. Yesterday I made $22 dollars in tips and did all of the other work I just mentioned. It does'nt seem right. I've never heard of a restaurant where the waitresses do all of that and still get paid $2.50 an hour. Am I a fool?

Yes - who ever heard of a waitress getting $2.50 a hour in the first place. Even if you are new to the job you deserve training wages of at least $6.00 a hour. Find another job!

If yu are in a mom and pop restaurant or cafe then I understand it. But, you need more money and Yes, you are a fool if you stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Fred in Laurel, Maryland said: Sheila, if your tips do not bring you up to the minimum wage your employer MUST make up the difference. I think it is complete BS how restaurants pay their staff with this below min wage crap and then have customers make up for it with tips.

It is illegal to pay anyone less then min wage. There are 2 exceptions - if you are hired as a trainie or as an independant contractor. But, it all boils down to the person doing the work. If they are working for family or desperately need a job they may not say anything. I would be looking on the side for a job and then put in my 2 week notice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

MrTaylor in United Kingdom said: I am a dishwasher and I work all of my weekend so I dont really have time to go out. I work the longest hours because the chefs leave as soon as there finished and so does the waitress which leaves me with all the pots, pans, plates and everything aswell as the bins to take out, t-towels to wash and dry, dishwasher to take apart and clean and put back together and sweep and mop the floor. I do all this for minimum wage and everyone gets paid tips apart from the dishwashers? How is this fair? Is it against law for potwashers not to be paid tips when the waitresses and chefs are, or is it managers decision? any info would be great :D

Waitress decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Nathaniel in Mapleton, Maine said: I have been working as a dishwasher for the past 4 months, like most of you I have to sweep and mop the entire kitchen, sort silverware and deal with crappy wait staff who couldn't do my job to save their life. I recently found out that because of work I now have not only carpal tunnel but also possible peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage in my hands because of hot water exposure) not only does my boss not care that I have these 2 problems because I am overworked, she blames me for the damage to my hands and is doing everything she can to not pay me for the 9 days and possibly more to come because I cannot move my wrists repeatedly without causing my carpal tunnel to become more severe than it already is. She is also making me see a doctor who doesn't even take the time to do more than a couple tap tests on my wrist to tell me what's wrong with my own body....that is not what a doctor is supposed to do and my usual doctor who I went to see first about it was very helpful and took the time to see the actual problem but since it's now a workmanship comp case I can no longer see him about it....my advice to anyone who wants to be a dishwasher, chose who you work for carefully because you may end up like me, with nerve damage that could adversely affect the rest of my life and a boss that could care less about making sure I get the treatment I deserve and desperately need before the damage gets any worse.....oh yeah, I'm also only 19 so this pretty much messes up all of my plans for the future because everything I am good at requires full use of my hands

l a w a y e r theraphy - great for bosses and workers in the know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wswen in Greensboro, North Carolina

33 months ago

I am looking a Restaurants Dishwasher jobs of Kitchen worker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Auckland, New Zealand

32 months ago

Never knew that there was a forum for dishwashers I have been a dishwasher for 3 weeks on a Saturday night from 5 clock till all the dishes are done and I don't hate the job it's my first job so I didn't expect much but my boss is pretty nice most of the time and get a free meal and drink but it gets really hot back in the kitchen and I hate doing silverware

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Auckland, New Zealand

32 months ago

Never knew that there was a forum for dishwashers I have been a dishwasher for 3 weeks on a Saturday night from 5 clock till all the dishes are done and I don't hate the job it's my first job so I didn't expect much but my boss is pretty nice most of the time and get a free meal and drink but it gets really hot back in the kitchen and I hate doing silverware

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nath in Sydney, Australia

32 months ago

Hate the ramicans dude! Silverware is easy! Chuck it in the tray and bam, into the washer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brock Burch in Fort Walton Beach, Florida

31 months ago

I've been a dishwasher at a truckstop/buffet for 2 days now. I ****ing hate it. We're severely understaffed in the back and the dishes pile up QUICK. There's no air conditioner and they make me prep food and bus tables too. The waitresses are ****ing b*tchy and stupid and will only bring me one or two things at a time while I have to go get the ****ing bus tray. I go home sore, wet and miserable. I make $8 an hour but I wish it was at least $10. The cooks don't try to scrape any of the food out of the pots and trays and it hardens on like cement. I also have to stack all of the dishes and supply the buffet plates. Customers are all fat and greedy and waste ungodly amounts of food, and the waitresses stuff napkins and food down into cups that still have drinks and ice in them. I'm allowed free drinks and food at half price, but because I'm so busy I haven't eaten lunch or dinner in 2 days. Also, I was supposed to get off at 9 the first night and 10 last night, but because I'm having to wash so much I have to stay an hour and a half over. The cooks and preps don't pour water out of treys after preparing raw meat and fish, so I have to deal with it. The dishwashing area is too small to accommodate all the dishes and crap. I dread going to work in half an hour, I could just cry thinking about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Bronx, New York

31 months ago

I work at a place called Bubba Gump Shrimp and I make $9.00 an hour. I don't really hate the job, I just hate the way they go about some things in the place. I work from 6pm to when ever the hell we finish up the dishes. I started about a month ago. I get along with the group of managers pretty well. The servers seem lazy as hell throwing plates on the table with me having to sort out the dishes afterward. Silverware is a pain in the ass, but sorting out the silverware and working the table seem to make time fly by unlike working the machine, assorting the dishes that some out of the machine and washing the pots and pans that constantly pile up. What I do hate though is when the managers take a couple of people from DMO and send them to Prep and other places WHEN WE BARELY EVEN HAVE PEOPLE WORKING IN DMO! And not to mention we don't get any breaks (we go outside and get a drink only to be rushed because the people in the back think you are being lazy)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Orlando, Florida

30 months ago

I'm paid 8.50 an hour and my job sucks. I don't get any tips while doing all the heavy work. The bus boy makes more money than me and does half the work I do. Everyone at the restaurant is lazy and doesn't scrape the food, I'm standing for 8 hours min and never take breaks or else the dishes pile up. Everyone else gets the stand around and do hardly any work while i'm in the back slaving and constantly moving. I personally have to carry 50+ pounds of dirty dishes everytime since noone brings the dishes to me. Dishwashing is the worst restaurant job because you get zero tips even though your doing all the heavy work, you get soaked and have food all over your shirt, hands, pants, and sometimes in your hair. If you ghave a choice of being a busser or dishwasher take the busboy job cause your doing half the work a dishwasher does and you get tips and you actually get to interact with people rather than being secluded in the back with one to talk to but yourself and some dirty dishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Orlando, Florida

30 months ago

I'm paid 8.50 an hour and my job sucks. I don't get any tips while doing all the heavy work. The bus boy makes more money than me and does half the work I do. Everyone at the restaurant is lazy and doesn't scrape the food, I'm standing for 8 hours min and never take breaks or else the dishes pile up. Everyone else gets the stand around and do hardly any work while i'm in the back slaving and constantly moving. I personally have to carry 50+ pounds of dirty dishes everytime since noone brings the dishes to me. Dishwashing is the worst restaurant job because you get zero tips even though your doing all the heavy work, you get soaked and have food all over your shirt, hands, pants, and sometimes in your hair. If you ghave a choice of being a busser or dishwasher take the busboy job cause your doing half the work a dishwasher does and you get tips and you actually get to interact with people rather than being secluded in the back with one to talk to but yourself and some dirty dishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

np in Tiffin, Ohio

30 months ago

2.50 in this case would be minimum wage to someone who also makes tips. So you are just complaining about nothing the restaurant i work for seats about 100 people plus they have banquets all the time. I wash tons of dishes every day, do prep work, take out trash and mop. It's not hard at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Golden, Colorado

30 months ago

My first day of dishwashing was on fathers day, at a very busy italian restaurant just outside of Denver. The restaurant is at the entrance to Red Rocks, which is a huge attraction. Nobody taught me, they just showed me where to get aprons and towels, and I did eveything else myself. 11 hours on my first day, and i even did all of the closing. Dishwashing is easy as ****, even when its busy. The negatives of the job are that it's boring for half hour then really busy for 10 minutes, it's hot as heck, you inevitably get soaked and dirty, and half the staff speak spanish faster than i can. The benefits are that i don't get told what to do, i get all the free food and free drinks (even beer) that i want, everybody is fairly easy on the eyes, i make 10 bucks an hour, and i can talk to the bartender through my window and watch the tv when theres no business. Overall it's easy, rhythmic, and boring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

^ Sums it up well, but you forgot the part where you burn all the nerve endings off your hands and cut your hands to pieces if you get too distracted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

richard in San Diego, California

30 months ago

let me get too work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

I can't believe there's a forum on dishwashing....92 comments.

Allright.....raise your hand if your an illegal.

Just wondering...are these dish washers bigger than the ones in a person's home?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I can't believe there's a forum on dishwashing....92 comments.

Allright.....raise your hand if your an illegal.

Just wondering...are these dish washers bigger than the ones in a person's home?

Often they are industrial type washers, like this one - www.commercialdishwashers.biz/images/commercial-dishwashers.jpg - where you slide the tray in and close the lid and bam it goes. Usually it has a sump of water that detergent is added to every cycle and clean water is used on the rinse. Takes about 1min for a wash and 30s for the rinse, so it is damn quick.

Joe Gagill in Loch Sheldrake, New York

30 months ago

Nath in Sydney, Australia said: Often they are industrial type washers, like this one - www.commercialdishwashers.biz/images/commercial-dishwashers.jpg - where you slide the tray in and close the lid and bam it goes. Usually it has a sump of water that detergent is added to every cycle and clean water is used on the rinse. Takes about 1min for a wash and 30s for the rinse, so it is damn quick.

Thank you for the explanation and picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gee in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

headed to a dishwasher job in Long Island City today, he says I start immediately so dress to work, what should I wear?

30 months ago

Wear long pants and a breathable shirt, ie polo or something, it gets real hot in the kitchen. I suggest wear trackies on your first shift, however invest in a good pair of long pants ie construction style. Mine are water resistant, which is amazing. Also you will want to wear leather waterproof shoes.

Gee in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

Thanks. I have those types of clothing already. and my black sneaker/boots should be fine.

30 months ago

As long as those sneakers aren't mesh style. Make sure they are completely closed

Alex in Golden, Colorado

30 months ago

Ahh Dishwashing...

The Bad:
1. I work extremely long hours (sometimes up to 14) and can't even find time to take a bathroom break.
2. Random parties of 40+ people wich equals around 100 plates, 100 cups, 200 forks 100 knives, up to 50 saute pans and around 5 pizza pans.
3. Cooks wanting me to learn how to cook when I already know how to, but don't have the time.
4 Hot, high-pressure water shooting food and ungodly substances into my face.
5. Not the cleaning of silverware, but the sorting of it, cuz lazy bussers can't do it. ( Apparently their lounging takes energy.)uickly.
6. 5 bussers and 4 waitresses who do not know how to clean plates and stack like-items, even though its their only hard job.
7. A new, 21 year old manager who is so god damn power-hungry that she tries to make me do pointless stuff to show her power. (Even though she is only wait-staff boss so i am her boss haha.)

The Good:
1.I eat all the free food I want, and I get free drinks all day.
2.Pay is steady, so i do not have to worry about getting tips.
3. Some cooks spea k spanish, so I don't have to really listen to them.
4. If I am told to go get something I can simply say that I am busy, and I do not have to get it anymore.
5. THe job isn't that hard, because in the end everything gets done, it's just tedious and boring.
6. I can hook up my friends with work whenverI want, because I am allowed to have up to two more dishwashers, so two of my buddies now work when I do not.

Overall its a easy job, not the best pay, quick advancement, and the days go by q

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dishwasher in Tiverton, Rhode Island

30 months ago

I've been a dishwasher for for a year now and I absolutely HATE IT. It makes me upset just thinking that i have to go to that crappy job where i work with people that go no where and temperamental chefs who expect us dishwashers to do everything. It's the worst job in the world I hate it more than anything. My shift starts in an hour and I want to cry right now. I'm quitting tonight so wish me good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hire_me_dammit in Fort Wayne, Indiana

30 months ago

Dishwasher in Tiverton, Rhode Island said: I've been a dishwasher for for a year now and I absolutely HATE IT. It makes me upset just thinking that i have to go to that crappy job where i work with people that go no where and temperamental chefs who expect us dishwashers to do everything. It's the worst job in the world I hate it more than anything. My shift starts in an hour and I want to cry right now. I'm quitting tonight so wish me good luck!

good luck with quitting your job tonight

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seth Baker in Oxford, Florida

29 months ago

I just started washing dishes. I work at a country club, make 8.50 an hour, drink soda all day, and get a free meal. It's perfect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

smirl2224 in Eagle, Colorado

29 months ago

To be honest, dishwashing iz the worst job ever. I hate it. Although I am good at it I hate the fact that people are having a life while I am here washing dishes. I ALSO HATE IT WHEN YOU ARE VERY QUICK AND FINISH CLEANING EVERYTHING AND THE COOKS ARE BUSY AND GET PISSED BECAUSE YOU ARE TAKING A BREAK AT START GIVING YOU RANDOM $hIT TO CLEAN, or the boss comes ans tells you to clean something. WE COULD ALL DO BETTER THAN THIS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mic in Ottawa, Ontario

29 months ago

Sheila in Southampton, Pennsylvania said: I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. I am a waitress and I am paid $2.50 an hour. Along with serving customers, and some food prep, I am expected to wash all of the dishes, pots and pans etc. I take out all of the trash and vacuum and sweep and mop. Some days there are very few customers. Yesterday I made $22 dollars in tips and did all of the other work I just mentioned. It does'nt seem right. I've never heard of a restaurant where the waitresses do all of that and still get paid $2.50 an hour. Am I a fool?

I get 11.50 as a dishwasher... you should of got at least 8$

anon in Christchurch, New Zealand

29 months ago

its one sh#ter of a job but you feel like you have accomplished something for the day,even if no one gives a s##t or says thank you or acknowledges you busting your @ss for 9 hours.
the only way is up from this job,makes you one strong mutha if you can stick it out for a least more than six months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bbsracer in Methuen, Massachusetts

29 months ago

I've been doing dishes for about 4 months it is not really the worst job but it does get a bit frustrating. I sometimes get free food from the cooks but have to eat very sneakily. I get all the drinks I want. I work with another person most the time. You sometimes aren't only assigned dishes but also food prep. I like that it's constant work so your always busy. If you come to work not wanting to work you will hate it quick. I personally never wash dishes only 2 or 3 days a week maby for 2 hours or less I organize more than I actually wash. The Job is pretty crappy but my fellow coworkers all over the kitchen are pretty cool.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

donethedishesnothappy in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

1. No respect you're basically a janitor.
2. You are underpaid for the amount of work you do.
3. You go home soaked down to the underwear every night.
4. You work with a majority of people who are going nowhere.
5. The same tedious work everyday.
6. You have to do the grossest work the restaurant has to offer
7. Be prepared to buy new clothes every couple of weeks.
8. You scrape the food off no one wanted off of thousands of plates. This is the reject of food, it wasn't fit enough to become excrement.
9. It is boring, mindless, manual labor.
10. You work ridiculous hours, 10am-12am. Repeat 5x per week.
11. Your bosses most likely treat you like dirt because they see you as an uneducated Janitor as opposed to a kid trying to pay his way college.

Summed up, forget dish washing, there are much much better jobs out there and odds are you are being taken advantage of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

jhild30 in Shell Rock, Iowa

29 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a dishwasher ? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I am a dishwasher in Iowa and i been there for 2 years. They hired me i had 4 years of dishwasher skills. Want i hate the MOST IS I WORK WILL SEVERS WHO CAN'T USE HEADS TO KNOW NOT TO STACK BUSTUBS UP HIGH, BUT THERE CAN GO TO COLLEGE AND USE THERE HEAD FOR CLASSES.. They Stack the bustubs up high and they don't care... Im back in a prep room by myshelf I like to help the business out. I make the floor clean, and i a butt kicking at my job, I had one sever throw a plate and ranch and onion rings fell on the floor and they left it there i had to clean it up. I work @ 7.25

ka in Kelowna, British Columbia

29 months ago

how heavy can a large tray of cutlery be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Candler, North Carolina

29 months ago

It beats retail...that's about all I can say. I make $8 an hour; I would quit immediately if I found a place which paid $10+ or gave me tips. At the end of the day, it's a repetitive and tedious job - but so is retail. I'd rather sweat for 6-8 hours straight than deal with the vast majority of people. There's no 'future' in this and you really have no incentive to become a cook, they're generally paid roughly the same amount, and have to deal with the servers screaming at them about fixing orders. I've tried cooking before and it gets old fast.

I somewhat miss the last place I worked at, the job was still tedious but the staff was a lot more fun. This place is a lot more professional - though I'm still paid the same wage (what's up with that?). The work environment is better in some regard and it's worse in others; I'm bored out of my mind back there with nobody to talk to at this place. It's okay as a part-time job and simply a means of getting you through college. Never consider it a 'career' because it isn't.

tl;dr You're going to sweat all night, not be paid nearly enough, will be physically exhausted by the end of the shift, and you're a fool if you actually consider this 'job' a 'career'. Dishwashing is as dead-end of a job as it comes. You have no true allegiance to an employer nor should you. Always look for more $$$. Also, I have to pay $5 for parking at the end of my shift because I have to park in a parking garage. I make $8 an hour and work 3 days a week. I'm essentially working 2 hours for free. I wish my employer could at least pay for my parking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ricktheruler in Destrehan, Louisiana

28 months ago

Worst job ever in Vancouver, British Columbia said: Dish *itch that is basically what is comes down to bust your ass for little shifts of 5 hours and then screwed on tips and pay. Well others get to stand around and ea fkt food . Then get pissed off as your not going fast enough as they need to close the store soon. Been doing this for a whole two weeks, never again. I hate this job with a passion.

Me too man me too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Largo, Florida

26 months ago

Washing dishes is the EASIEST job you can ever hope to do. I've worked 4 different restaurants in the Dish Pit. Easy easy easy.

Wear jeans, no slip shoes and a tee shirt. Put on an apron, sling a towel over your shoulder and tie a bandanna on your head.

It's wet, it's hot and it's busy. The time flies by though.

Get a system going. I toss all the silverware in the sink and concentrate on one type of dish at a time. All the cups first since they are the biggest pain, the bowls next then the plates. As soon as you see a pot, put soap and water in it!

Keep the cups, plates and bowls clean. Silverware is a breeze after it's been soaking for a few minutes. Save the pots and pans for the end of your shift.

It's methodical, it's tiresome and it's boring, but it frees my mind up to think about other things.

And my nails are always clean and my hands are soft.

Trust me, there are worse ways to make a buck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

26 months ago

dan in Ottawa, Ontario said: I sort of like being the dirty monster who goes to war with the dishes. If I had to do it sober, I'd probably quit, but luckily I go to work completely stoned *every* shift. And the bonus is I'm pretty sure everybody in the banquet hall knows I'm a total pothead, but they keep their mouths shut because I can kick some dish-ass. And whoever said ramicans suck is completely right. But the word ramican is awesome. I like saying it.

Thanks for making me laugh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia P in Toronto, Ontario

26 months ago

I've been a dishwasher for two months; catering company; 10,25/hr.

Dislikes:
- was BRUTAL on my body at first. I got used to it after approx 2 weeks.
- hands are totally beaten up from the hot water and hot dishes coming out of the washer. I wear 2 sets of gloves. I have burns and slather my hands in vaseline and wear gloves when I sleep. This helps A LOT. Hands are still repulsive and dry and damaged; I am embarassed to shake other people's hands.
- feeling that others look down on me (sometimes) and how everybody gets to complain but the dishwasher can't.
- some people will always be thoughtless and rude and stack or not stack dishes just to (seemingly) piss you off.
- getting wet (you get less wet, the more you get used to it).
- lots of foreigners with poor English in kitchen prep so no one really to "bond" with. They are all the same nationality so they talk to each other in their language, which is annoying.

- Nice & tired at the end of the day. Better than retail: the days fly by. When you have worries, this makes a difference.
- good workout. Along with cycling or walking to/from work, there is no need to go to the gym.
- hired to work 8 hrs but it's more like 8 1/2 - 9 hrs and 10 hours at least once a week. If I work more than 44 hrs/wk, I get time and a half. Significant overtime during the holidays.
- thoughtful, respectful staff and boss. This forum shows how much of a difference that makes.
- company also has a fancy store. Leftovers & nearly expired foods are up for grabs so LOTS of free food. Chefs make big lunch for staff once or twice a week.
- I asked for & am permitted to listen to my ipod on speaker in the dishpit. BIG dif.
- Nobody tells me what to do or that I'm going too slow; I can tune out everyone if I want..and sometimes I want.
- I have time to think, plan. Plan for something better soon.
- I like the feeling of getting something done - each day has closure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stan brule in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

i dont understand how anyone could possibly enjoy this job. when it's busy you're moving non stop and getting pounded by dishes for hours. when it's not busy it's extremely boring and you're always forced to do tedious busy work like mopping the entire restaurant. aside from just the dishwashing, i also am forced to cook every nasty greasy chicken order, and as everyone else says, the silverware is the worst. youll go home smelling disgusting, feeling disgusting and pretty much being disgusting. i also put up with crap from numerous cooks and waitresses because they pretty much look down on me. the even call me a "dish bum". i worked it for 2 and a half months and just snapped and quit yesterday. all in all, there are better jobs out there. avoid dishwashing.

Tito.. in Orlando, Florida

24 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a dishwasher ? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Dishwashing was the first job I had when I came to America. I cleaned dished and mop floors. It is not a really bad job bad the worst par is that some cooks look you down and insult you right on your face. I did it for 6 months, moving to server. My worst job was to be behind a cashier in Office Depot. I'd rather scurb dishes than do that job again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Baltimore, Maryland

24 months ago

I can't believe dish washing jobs (at least in my area), want people to have experience. I never see any dish washing positions on websites for the restaurants or other reliable job sites. All the dish washing jobs I've seen end up on Craigslist.

I got interviewed for one dish washing job that wasn't posted on Craigslist though but it was back in 2004. It was for the Cheesecake Factory. They rejected me because I had no experience being that it was the 1st job I applied for after high school. I did service learning hours prior to graduation but all I did was clean erasers for my teachers and wipe down chalk boards (I had never worked any summer jobs prior to graduation from high school).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.