What are the best drafter qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a drafter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective drafter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Walter Rogers in Aurora, Colorado

76 months ago

I am of the 50 plus age group and a mechanical drafter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Randolph Scott in Bluefield, West Virginia

76 months ago

Find out if the local vocational/trade school offers classes, or the local community college.

Take the class/classes and do well in them. Local companies typically know the drafting teachers and will ask them to recommend students to hire.

Experience and knowledge count more than a certificate, most places are looking for several years of experience depending on the type of work. You can get hired straight out of school, but you will have to work to gain experience before you can move up.

For ongoing training, you can either take classes in different drafting programs on your own or the company you work for will sometimes send you to classes if they're getting a new program.

Non-traditional paths vary, a lot of the older drafters were trained to draw on paper then changed over when computer drafting entered the picture.

I've also known people that have engineering degrees end up being drafters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Walter Rogers in Aurora, Colorado

76 months ago

I need cad 3D mechanical experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Randolph Scott in Rock, West Virginia

76 months ago

Experience with the program or work experience?

If you have the paper experience (which by your age I'm thinking you do), then you need to take a class in the program or get a book and the program and teach yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jorge Quiroga in Van Nuys, California

64 months ago

Im study mechanical engineer drafter, i can red blue print including dimension,methods , engineering informacion, use of micrometers ,caliper etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

E ZG in Tinley Park, Illinois

62 months ago

Jorge Quiroga in Van Nuys, California said: Im study mechanical engineer drafter, i can red blue print including dimension,methods , engineering informacion, use of micrometers ,caliper etc

YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SPELL TOO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Joseph Bosquez in Orlando, Florida

52 months ago

I just completed a autocad/revit certification program and I am looking for a job. I have 8 1/2 years experience in construction materials testing and I can read blue prints and have a very good knowledge and understanding of construction. Every firm I apply to turns me down for lack of on the job experience. How can I get a job to gain experience if I need experience to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Spectrum in Saint Clair, Missouri

51 months ago

Joseph Bosquez in Orlando, Florida said: How can I get a job to gain experience if I need experience to get a job?

Unfortunately, you are entering the field at a bad time. I don't know what it is like in Florida right now, but construction around Missouri is slow, slow, slow... And when construction is slow, so is business for the design world. As for lack of experience, it is those firms loss. If those firms were smart they would snag you in a heart beat. Construction experience is worth much more than the office. Keep your head up. Maybe you could go back into going back into construction testing for a while. There are opportunities in design right now, but they are far and few between. And while your waiting, spend some on forums like www.theswamp.org/index.php and www.augi.com/home/default.asp. They can keep you fresh on your skills and have an opportunity to ask what the field is really like. You may decide that it isn't for you anyway. You can also see what the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics has to say about your chosen field if you haven't already, www.bls.gov/. Best of luck anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.