would anyone hire employee like me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

shawn in New York

89 months ago

I was arrested 4 years ago while I was doing the delivery job in a funiture company. But I got my license back last year. I love the driving job but it seems hard for me to get a driving job because my old history. It's hard to accept that I couldn't do my favorite job anymore. I wish someone who can give a chance for me and help me go back to the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

billy in Ridgewood, New York

86 months ago

try a conviction 17 years ago for felony assault- cdlA,with hazmat,doubles,tank,and metal coil.Currently driving a taxi as I hold this type of CDL.I hope you feel better to know you are not alone in this predicement.You may have paid your debt to soceity as the judge ordered but does soceity ever considered it paid.A scarlet letter is not a fair price for any crime.That is essentially what companies like carco and choice point are in the business of doing.That is making sure that good people like you and me who made a mistake wear that letter till the day we die;and that we never again enjoy the same opportunity that other members of soceity enjoy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather

86 months ago

I was convicted on a party to the crime charge which is an accesory charge it was a non violent charge. I moved to Va from Dekalb Co Georgia. When I first came here and tried to do the whole right thing to do and tell them upfront about my being convicted they all frowned and turned me away but I soon learned that many applications dont ask and even if the company does do a background check it is only state wide. I'm not saying you should move but maybe you should try with out telling them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

k in Baltimore, Maryland

77 months ago

it's crazy you make one mistake and they never let you forget I stole a car when I was 19 got 2yrs probation ,first and only time that I've ever been in trouble and that one incident has ben hanging around my neck like an anchor for 17 yrs everybody is so scared these days that terrorist are gonna blow up mcdonalds that they have just lumped everybody with anything on thier record into one deniable group I pay my taxes and still get treated worst that an illegal immigrant ...this just is not right and heres irony for you I can pass a federal background check to get a HAZMAT endorsement, and transport dangerous products but the won't even let me drive a louzy shuttle bus around the airport for a louzy $10.00hr because of my background SCREW THIS!!!!!!!!

Odell in Windsor Mill, Maryland

77 months ago

Hello everyone, I'm also in the same boat as you all are. I too was arrested. In 2006 I was convicted for drug possession. I know I messed up, but will society allow me to get things together. I had it rough.I lost my mother, best cousin,my grandma and grandfather by the age of 19. I'm 35 now with 2 felonies and two kids. I'm following my dream to write books and I'm a man of God. Still, society is not hearing it. I have my Class A CDL and companies like carco did not blink. They insisted Pepsi not to hire me. I knew guys that have worked there for 20 and 40 years, but they still rejected me. I've put in at least 50 applications and nothing. Life is tough and you have to have a spiritual foundation to hold on through crap like this. God looks at how we deal with adversity. That determines how long we stay in it. Whenever I get turned down, I just shake my head and keep it moving. Still, I know there's a life to live and money needs to be made. I'm with you all. This does stink, but we have to keep pushing. God will eventually work through someone and they will let us in. Unfortunately, this world has more negativity in it than good. I love you all and God Bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JIMMY in Lindenhurst, New York

76 months ago

THAT'S WHY MOST PEOPLE RESORT To DEALING DRUGS...
GOT TO PAY YOUR BILL'S & FEED YOUR FAMILY..
SOCIETY ITSELF PUSHES YOU TO DO THINGS YOU DON'T WANT
TO DO.... RIGHT OR WRONG.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave

75 months ago

The best thing I can say is that unless it comes up durring an interview. Do not volenteer any information. They didn't ask and your didn't tell. Always leave that felony box unchecked. I had my record expunged. Which is something you might want to look in to. If you dont have a history then you shouldn't have a problem with petitioning the courts to do that. Having your record expunged is like a new start. you will nolong need to mark that "felony" box. or tell your prospective employer of your past run ins. Dont shoot your self down with this idea. let the judge determine to do that. Hope this helps. BTW I was convicted of ADW with intent to cause serious injury (to a known gangbanger) Unfortunatly I was a driver at the time for CR England. Being a truck driver ro a cop is enough to screw you over at times. This happened in yuma az. In that state when a cop makes an arrest the state must persecute, oops i mean prosecute, you Fortunatly in my case the judge knew the history of the person I was wanting to bury and read the cop the riot act. Which surprised the hell out of me. Since I pleaded no contest the Judge gave me unsupervised probation with authoization to leave the sate due to the nature of my emplyment. He also told me that I after successful completion of my probation I could ask my record be expunged. That judge actually helpped me to find my way out of that snafu. Perhapse this information will help you also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kenny in Clinton, Wisconsin

74 months ago

you all be lucky you dont live in my state you get just $5000.00 behind in child support, I know I need to pay that and do but once you get behind you can not get caught up even if you know you can do it, anyway they threaten to take your lic even if you have a job driving I have had it happen before

Cosmo in Hesperia, California

71 months ago

my felony was dropped down to a misdemeanor at the court but I still had a hard time getting a job because I was told by company managers that it was a (very serious one) credit card fraud/theft. I eventually had it it expunged but what also worked for me is that I came straight out to the management and told them of my mistake and that I was now a born again christian wanting to do good in life and support my wife and children with a good paying job. It worked several times because even tough the back-ground was done, the mgrs turned a blind eye to it and hired me anyways.

Lovera in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

This is the most profound answer that I have found yet.
I have been paying for a crime for over 18 years ago namely Fraudulent Schemes Class 2. It was an act survive but did not know how much it would effect me the rest of my life. The world and society will never ever forgive us. It is so sad that they think they are perfect and have the righ to judge. But again, that is the world and we have carnal/religious christians to accomodae it instead of standing in the gap.
I make no excuses and have repented of it. Only God Himself is our way maker. He is the Potter and we are the clay. He is still moldening us and shaping us until the day of redemption. We are in a battle but the victory of employment is ours. God is waiting on us to believe in Him.

Odell in Windsor Mill, Maryland said: Hello everyone, I'm also in the same boat as you all are. I too was arrested. In 2006 I was convicted for drug possession. I know I messed up, but will society allow me to get things together. I had it rough.I lost my mother, best cousin,my grandma and grandfather by the age of 19. I'm 35 now with 2 felonies and two kids. I'm following my dream to write books and I'm a man of God. Still, society is not hearing it. I have my Class A CDL and companies like carco did not blink. They insisted Pepsi not to hire me. I knew guys that have worked there for 20 and 40 years, but they still rejected me. I've put in at least 50 applications and nothing. Life is tough and you have to have a spiritual foundation to hold on through crap like this. God looks at how we deal with adversity. That determines how long we stay in it. Whenever I get turned down, I just shake my head and keep it moving. Still, I know there's a life to live and money needs to be made. I'm with you all. This does stink, but we have to keep pushing. God will eventually work through someone and they will let us in. Unfortunately, this world has more negativity in it than good. I love you all and God Blesl

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.