What are typical electrical designer salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Dale Reeves in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

First let me say I have been in Design for 30 years and have work both internationally and domestically. I am currently classified as a Principal Designer.

The term" Electrical Designer" is very deceptive. Firstly, it may involve only yhe power side of design or may be instrumentation driven. Thus the terms like I&E, I&C, E&C, and others. Depending on the industry and company it may require little more than basic drafting skills to intimate knowledge of the many local, national and international codes as well as the requirement to do complex engineering calculations as well as lead projects and do project management and other functions.

With this in mind, the pay scale varies a lot. Smaller companies tend to require much more for the hourly rate than larger companies. They also tend to pay a lower rate than larger companies due to budget restraints.

Typically, a basic designer with 0-3 years in Texas can see rates from $13.00 to $18.00/hr.
A mid-level designer with 3-8 years may fall between $20.00 to $35.00/hr.
A Senior level designer with 10+ years may get between $45 to $65.00/hr.

While these figures may not be true across the board it is a fair average.

The skills required vary as much as the industries as due the software packages, standards and codes. One should strive to learn every aspect of electrical engineering that they can and taking time to get additional training when possible is necessary to keep your skill in line with changing needs. Mentoring of lower level designers by Seniors and Engineers is a great way to bring up the overall skills of both the designer and the mentor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maheshdesigner in Satellite Provider

31 months ago

I am interest to do job in electric design. where i do job? I want some company names who require electrical designers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.