LTE engineer V.S Bios Test Engineer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Kris in Santa Clara, California

18 months ago

I'm a recent graduate and I've received two job offers that I trying to choose between.

My main concern is whether I can gain valuable knowledge and skills that will give me more job security and potential in the future.

The first one is an one year contract job with Alctel Lucent.
I will be working on a project that is about upgrading some cellphone base stations into LTE technology.
As I understand, I will be working with a bit of unix, but no serious programming involved.
My work will include translating data from the old cellphone base station systems into excel data sheets and further translate that into the new LTE systems. To be working with the newest network technology sounds exciting, but I don't see how much valuable skills and knowledge I can develop if I only deal with translating data sheets =\
The project is expected to last up to 3 years, and I wonder if what I have learned will be useful and desired after all the stations in the country have been updated.

The second job is a Bios Test Engineer position at a enterprise solution company that makes mother boards and server machines. As I understand I will be testing the specs of the Bios and performing minor adjustments to the Bios for the customers. This is a fulltime employee offer, but the company culture demands long hours. (9-8, and sometimes work on Saturday)I don't mind putting in hard work, but I want to be learning and developing useful and valuable skills. It seems like I'll learn a lot about computer architecture at this job, but I don't if it will open a lot of doors for my future.

The compensation for the LTE position is slightly better, but I care more about what I'll learn than how much money I'll make at this point in my career.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or insight that anyone would like to share with me.
Thank you all for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.