Should an experienced Avionics Technician with a new BSECE degree ask for more $

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Mike in Duluth, Minnesota

33 months ago

Hello,

I have been working in working as an avionics technician for the past 13 years. 5 years as an RF countermeasures bench tech in the Marine Corps, and another 8 years at an aircraft manufacturer in several roles as an avionics technician in both production maintenance. A few years ago I decided to get my bachelors degree in electrical and computer engineering from the local university, and I have about 2 years left.

My question is can I consider my 13 years of experience as an avionics technician as "relevant experience" when looking for engineering jobs? Also, would it justify asking for a higher starting salary as an electrical engineer from:

a) my current employer?
b) another aviation-type employer?
c) any other electrical engineering job that required hands-on or field testing?

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

WBBulldogs in Barrigada, Guam

21 months ago

I have been asking the same question man. I am an AT in the Navy here in Guam working on H-60's. Our shop actually mixes AE's and AT's so I get some good experience and training. I'm wanting to get out and go to school full time. I was thinking of dumping electrical and electronics and going for a ME degree but my brain is telling me to stick with what I know even though I feel kinda burned out.

So did you ever find out anything about your question? I have only a measly 6 years in but after looking through a lot of job posting for engineers they usually want at least 3-5 years experience. Our technical electronics experience has to count right? Reply if you can. I'm curious to know if I should stick with an EE instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.