Electrical work in the USA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Doug Pettifer in Hamilton, New Zealand

87 months ago

I am a Electrician / electrical contractor from New Zealand and my wife a I are looking to work in the USA . I am trying to find out if its possible for a New Zealand electrician to work in the USA and if so how I could get in touch with likely employers. Any help would be greatly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (150) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Denver, Colorado

81 months ago

Hello Doug, Do you have Industrial or Commercial experience or mostly Residential? There is plenty of work in Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, California, Where do you want to live? Most of the jobs can be found by doing what your doing now,(Internet)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Peter McGlone in Glasgow, United Kingdom

78 months ago

Im looking to relocate to the US Michigan area what is the work prospects and opportunities

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Stoffel in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

Each state has their own tests. You should go to that state's Electrical Board web site, search goggle for "State Electrical Boards". Print off the documentation you need to document your experience. We do have different voltage systems here but don't think that would be to difficult to pick up. We use the NEC (National Electric Code) standards here in the states you should be able to buy that book on-line. I heard it was going to be accepted as the "International Electric Code" but not sure it ever did.

www.code-electrical.com/buildingdepartments.html

www.dllr.state.md.us/license/occprof/elec.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

erik lazo in Rockville, Maryland

74 months ago

go to internet to

IBEW 26

interantional brotherhood electrical workers the number is the estate
go there and you find all the information

eriklazo@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Stoffel in Denver, Colorado

74 months ago

dannycrocket@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

iceyblue64 in Saint Augustine, Florida

73 months ago

i am looking to move to colorado how are the jobs there are there alot or is it just a waste of time to look right now i have been doing new const. commercial work for 10 yrs also did some res.work and i ran a crew of 14 guys i do not have my j-man any info would help i am also female and have had alot of companies in states like md that would not even talk to me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan Stoffel in Crested Butte, Colorado

73 months ago

Hi Iceyblue!

I've seen jobs in Colorado Springs lately posted @indeed.com. Looked promising! I'm kinda caught here in Crested Butte, a small ski resort town and recovery from shoulder surgery. would suggest getting Licensed where you are or try to get a License by Endorsement in Colorado. Colorado does not have reciprocity with Florida. You will have a much harder time finding a job w/o a license! Colorado's State Electrical Board link is:

www.dora.state.co.us/electrical/ check it out!!! There is also a network of employers called the IEC (Independent Electrical Contractors) which is another resource for finding a job and getting the education to get licensed.

Dan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Stoffel in Crested Butte, Colorado

73 months ago

Doug Pettifer in Hamilton, New Zealand said: I am a Electrician / electrical contractor from New Zealand and my wife a I are looking to work in the USA . I am trying to find out if its possible for a New Zealand electrician to work in the USA and if so how I could get in touch with likely employers. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Find the web-site for the IEC (Indepentdant Electrical Contractors), www.ieci.org/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doug Pettifer in Auckland, New Zealand

73 months ago

You coulld try contacting ECANZ here in New Zealand ( Electrical contractors association of New Zealand )www.ecanz.org.nz/.
Ask if they can include your request in there monthly news letter to there members or there online news letter. This would go to just about every electrical company in NZ.
The other way is to write to electrical companys here in NZ. You can get contact details for every registered electrician in NZ from ECANZ as well (www.ecanz.org.nz/ContractorDirectory/Default.aspx ).
If you look at www.seek.co.nz you can also find companys here in NZ that are looking for sparkies at the moment.
Like Australia we are short of Linesmen / electricians at the moment there are some openings there at this time " see seek.co.nz ".
Hope this is some help to you.

rdillow04 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

in pa .....usa you do not have to be licensed to do electrical work....all you have to do is get the job , most of time have insurance, and get it inspected....there are codes to follow but if you know what your doing youll be fine....look me up electrican in pa<<<<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I am coming over to USA in early July will be in PA from July 1 - 26 th drop us a email ( sparky49@live.com )would love to catch up if you are in the Warren county area or close.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sparks

72 months ago

iceyblue64 in Saint Augustine, Florida said: i am looking to move to colorado how are the jobs there are there alot or is it just a waste of time to look right now i have been doing new const. commercial work for 10 yrs also did some res.work and i ran a crew of 14 guys i do not have my j-man any info would help i am also female and have had alot of companies in states like md that would not even talk to me

2 of us moved here to Silt Co. about a week ago and have not found work yet. Everyone is saying it is susposed to start getting better this month(march) but so far no real offers yet. One of us is a Journeyman with 10 yrs exp. the other a 3rd year app. We are both females and that seems to be part of the problem. All the guys we have worked with now have jobs but neither one of us do. Go Figure!!!! I'll post if we get any real leads or offers. But if I were you I wouldn't pack up and come out here just yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MichaelDean in Maryville, Tennessee

71 months ago

I am considering having some minor electrical work done at my residence. Can a liscensed general contractor do minor electrical work under the amount of $500 without a seperate electricians liscense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wilna in Johannesburg, South Africa

70 months ago

Doug Pettifer in Hamilton, New Zealand said: I am a Electrician / electrical contractor from New Zealand and my wife a I are looking to work in the USA . I am trying to find out if its possible for a New Zealand electrician to work in the USA and if so how I could get in touch with likely employers. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I know this is very random. have you any contact persons or numbers for electrical work in New Zealand?
Best regards Wilna Smith

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Wilna , We ahve half the population of Joburgh here all ready in Auckland. There are several Ex Patt groups here in NZ, sorry I dont have any contacts for them but you could try google search.
Also 5 posts back on this forum page ( just above your post ) you will find my post on contacting Electricial work in NZ.
But we are the same as the rest of the world and a lot of people are out of work here and very few people are employing here at this time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karel in Liverpool, United Kingdom

68 months ago

Hello, I am fully qalificed and experienced Domestic, Commercial and Industrial electrician, I also have good experience with Street Lighting as well, is it in the USA any job for Electricians? Karel

Dan in Burkina Faso

67 months ago

I am a high technician in electricicy and looking to work in the USA . I have an experience in industrial electricity and mine electricity. I am 26year old

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

youness in Morocco

65 months ago

Hello thank Hedda me answer you beautiful I hope to work with you or find me work in any country I am now the moment, in Morocco and want to help Visa
Work and travel to any country I work in electricity or plumbing please help you and Hedda wants the phone number of the currency of Morocco and the youth I work in any professional work at me Call me (0..021..26..7..43..60.7..37 )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

1of1000s@gmail.com in Henderson, Nevada

58 months ago

Jon in Denver, Colorado said: Hello Doug, Do you have Industrial or Commercial experience or mostly Residential? There is plenty of work in Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, California, Where do you want to live? Most of the jobs can be found by doing what your doing now,(Internet)

We really would like to be in california but at this date and time it is really almost like beggeres can not be choosy where is all the elctrical work i will work 60 or more hours a week if if have too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1of1000s@gmail.com in Henderson, Nevada

58 months ago

1of1000s@gmail.com in Henderson, Nevada said: We really would like to be in california but at this date and time it is really almost like beggers can not be choosey where is all the elctrical work i will work 60 or more hours a week if if have too.

I am a very hard and dedicated worker i am now 30, but in the electrical field since the age of 15, i am desperately looking for a company that i can stay with and learn more and more and grow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Lemke in Geneseo, Illinois

58 months ago

1of1000s@gmail.com in Henderson, Nevada said: I am a very hard and dedicated worker i am now 30, but in the electrical field since the age of 15, i am desperately looking for a company that i can stay with and learn more and more and grow

The economy has been rough on alot of people in the electrical industry within the last year. I know what you mean when it comes to looking for work. I don't know if you're union, or non-union. If you're not union, I would suggest going to the local hall (which would probably be Las Vegas local 357), and ask them about joining. You say you have over fifteen years experience. They will hopefully take that into consideration without making you go through a complete apprenticeship. I think they have a Construction Wireman classification that might provide you with some work. All of this is dependent upon if they don't have too many members already on the bench. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck.

James Henwood in United Kingdom

57 months ago

Does anyone know if and how you can go to the usa as an qualified electricain from the uk for experience?? what visa would be needed?? i'd be happy to live there but if i can work out there for 6 months first that would be great, is this possible?

Thanks James

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NJelectrician in New Jersey

56 months ago

An electrical contractor is different than an electrician; an electrician is an individual tradesman and an electrical contractor is a business person or company that employs electricians. Both usually hold licenses and insurances to properly and safely operate a business, protecting the employees and home owners/business owners from insurance liabilities. These requirements vary from state to state. Electricians may work for an electrical contractor, or directly for individuals or companies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr.J in Nol, Sweden

54 months ago

Hi! I'm working as an nominated person/electrical superintendent at a big industry here in Sweden.
I have been working as an electrician before that and have a good education. I have been working for 10+ yrs and is 30yrs old. I have been working with 3phase up to 12000volts AC. Is there any chance to get a job in California or any other place in the US?
The bad thing is that i don't have a green card. Is there impossible to get an employer to help out with that?

electricnextday@yahoo.com in Tampa, Florida

54 months ago

Since the construction business (real estate) is still nosedive,
loads of businesses failed therefore many commercial buildings are for lease, chances to find a reasonable job market and on a reasonable radius are slim to none. Those employers (electrical contractors) who still have lined up jobs for the next month are extremely demanding in terms of time and quality of work. Downtime is very high (30% on average) and the prices are lower than the standard.
One of the reasons that made me join this line of business was a very good income. As a self-employed electrician I used to make and average of $65/h with options to work over 50 hours a week. Then, in the first 4 months of 2008 my income was $2,500...
People are hurting, business is low and not too much hope until 60% of electrical people will be gone by switching to another field.

mahmoud aziz in Ivrea, Italy

51 months ago

I've worked in a factory re-run electric products in Italy 4 years experience and I'm looking for the opportunity to work with Best Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vance in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

51 months ago

Personally, I worked for www.thewoodlandselectrician.com for a short time and can vouch that they are a solid company.

electricnextday@yahoo.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

No, it is not the best ideea to pursue electrical field in US. It was a very atractive trade to bein but since the construction bubble burst there are an excess of 65% electrician on the market. It might be a good ideea to be an electrician in 2015...maybe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Germanelec in Hamilton, Ohio

48 months ago

I am an experienced electrician from Germany with over 23 years in the busisness. I moved to Cincinnati, Ohio in June of '10. I am really having a hard time finding employment. I owned my own company in Germany for the last 14 years. I wanted to join a union but they told me there were 25 guys ahead of me waiting for work. I just don't think I can wait that long for employment, considering I have a family to support. Any suggestions or ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Pontefract, United Kingdom

37 months ago

Dan Stoffel in Denver, Colorado said: Each state has their own tests. You should go to that state's Electrical Board web site, search goggle for "State Electrical Boards". Print off the documentation you need to document your experience. We do have different voltage systems here but don't think that would be to difficult to pick up. We use the NEC (National Electric Code) standards here in the states you should be able to buy that book on-line. I heard it was going to be accepted as the "International Electric Code" but not sure it ever did.
(? Just come back from the states as a british sparkie :-) they sending me to iraq next :-) and uk standards are the highest electric standards to acheive in the world so more than enough to use any were your 2390 and 17th ed is more than enough to get a job abroad also ever noticed why parts have a kite mark and a BS code ? to make sure they are up to our standards all this was explained to me by an american senior electrical engineer for a well renound company.

www.code-electrical.com/buildingdepartments.html

www.dllr.state.md.us/license/occprof/elec.html

? Just come back from the states as a british sparkie :-) they sending me to iraq next :-) and uk standards are the highest electric standards to acheive in the world so more than enough to use any were your 2390 and 17th ed is more than enough to get a job abroad also ever noticed why parts have a kite mark and a BS code ? to make sure they are up to our standards all this was explained to me by an american senior electrical engineer for a well renound company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AKWASI AKOWUAH in Accra, Ghana

33 months ago

I'm Electrician looking for work in U.S.A.I'm trying to find out if it can be possible for a Ghana Electrician can work in U.S.A.If so,how could i get in touch with likely empolyer.Any help please Email me thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

felixburke in London, United Kingdom

33 months ago

We have a direct genuine provider for BG/ SBLC specifically for lease, at leasing price of 6+2 of face value, Issuance by HSBC London/Hong Kong or any other AA rated Bank in Europe, Middle East or USA.

EMAIL: felixburke@live.co.uk

nick in Bochum, Germany

20 months ago

hi there

try use the intelligent search from www.myjobinusa.com

may help you find an electrician job

have a nice day

nick.

umang in Ahmedabad, India

2 months ago

yes i am ready,sir

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gurpret in India

1 month ago

Bhakra Beas Management Board

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.