Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

How did you get your start doing electrician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

malama-smithr@michigan.gov in Lansing, MI

98 months ago

My husband received his associates degree in residential electrical two years ago and needs to work under a licensed electrician for three-years so that he can work in the profession. Please help him find a place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

A.J. Michaels

98 months ago

My father was a master plumber A a Pipe Sup. For B&R.; I Leared that Pipeing is a __itty job on the residential and commercial side any way. Working next to him He allways told me to watch that Electrician they make the most money out in the field, Don't do what I do, he said. So every chance he gave me I watched. I turned 18 yrs. old and started working for K.B.R. Oxy Chem. V.C.M.. I have been in electricial sence. I am now 29 yrs. young, I love my career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tazzman744@aol.com in Reston, Virginia

97 months ago

Its in my blood, my grandfather was an factory electrician my father is a commercial,residential electrician my younger brother is an industrial, commercial, residential electrician. as for me i am all of the above. i can do it all if it has wires or needs wires and has some sort of current going through it i can fix it.i love my work, and i have been doing it for 14 yrs now. will continue to do so till God calls me in or just not able to get up in the mornings lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnny in Baltimore, Maryland

82 months ago

Hello
Tazman, I have been in controls for over 23 years started out as an Industrial Electrician/Instrumentation and thought I knew it all until I traveled abroad and some cases here local. With all due respect to your grade as an Electrician
I'm sure there are tons of Electrical area that you are not aware of. My point is calm and boost down yourself and then you will realize your true assetment as an Electricain.If you choose to challenge me I will except yor invitation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny in Connersville, Indiana

82 months ago

Hello Don and Ty

I first started at a Vocational Tech School earned a State Dipolma for Industrial Electronics from there enter into The Military for electrical controls and work several jobs, one which sent me to Instrumentation and Controls apprentise ship.
In addition I applied for PLC,HMI and Drive class's such as Wonderware, Allen Bradley, GE Fanuc. You can contact your local vendor or search the web to find when the classes are in your area, but first you may want to start with the basics and this can be done by contacting IBEW and applied for a Community College or Vocational school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jhezlep in Fruitland Park, Florida

82 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing electrician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Best way to start is to jump into an electrical job somewhere. I would start with residential you can learn the basics there and your pay will increase faster after about a year switch to commercial. If you like the trade you can start your education at anytime.

jhezlep
Florida Electrical Contractor
www.electricianhome.com

LC in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

You become an apprentice. Interview with a some of the larger electrial companies in your area. Many are members of the IEC apprenticeship program. Many of these companies will pay to send you to school. (ususally 4yr program) while you work and gather experience with thier company. You will get incentives/pay increases as you progress.
You can find more info here:
www.iecsf.com/Apprenticeship/Apprenticeship.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brady Leeks in Mexico City, Mexico

80 months ago

Yeah... I agree with LC. I also find an interesting article on the net about being an electrician.

I hope this will help you:
electricianfaqs.com/index.php

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Ervin in Jonesboro, Arkansas

79 months ago

I am currently working in the HVAC industry and I'm trying to get an electrical apprenticeship with the IBEW and just work for the union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Ervin in Jonesboro, Arkansas

79 months ago

And just get employment because I've always loved doing electrical work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mthompson6782 in Baltimore, Maryland

60 months ago

Johnny in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hello
Tazman, I have been in controls for over 23 years started out as an Industrial Electrician/Instrumentation and thought I knew it all until I traveled abroad and some cases here local. With all due respect to your grade as an Electrician
I'm sure there are tons of Electrical area that you are not aware of. My point is calm and boost down yourself and then you will realize your true assetment as an Electricain.If you choose to challenge me I will except yor invitation.

Hi there I work for TAI Engineering. Are you looking for a job? We could use a high quality Instrumentation and control guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Therealunforgiven in Castlewood, Virginia

54 months ago

Johnny in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hello

Tazman you are very right I have traveled and done many types of electrical work and have met many so called Electrician’s. This is a very big word and a lot of people do not understand this can be very hard depending on what you are doing I also worked in controls and Industrial. I was traveling around and started working in power plants. I never stop learning and like you said when you think you know it all you don’t. Some people call their self-Electrician and all you hear out of their mouth is 110 and 220. I make them mad when I say that’s not right its 120 and 240. Then I tell them about three phase power after a second that’s easy then I say we don’t use romex only very few people realize how much they are to electrical work. We had a lot of residential Electrician’s come to work thinking it was the same. Some would say it’s too hard. I take my hat off to you since you have worked in controls this can be very hard at times. I know it is when someone else done the job and really did not know what to do and when you go trace stuff out your like oh god help me. I think they should be different test for this like an Industrial and on down the line most think one fits all and it done I mean if you can do industrial you can do a house. However it’s not the other way around. I know my spelling is not good but I just think that Electricians are appreciated as much as they should be depending what type of work you do this can take your w

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay Taylor in Gloucester City, New Jersey

50 months ago

I recommend going to school and at least getting an associates degree. However, if school is not for you I recommend getting an apprenticeship under a local electrician so that he can teach you the trade. When I was starting out in the field the Sugarland Electricians at www.SugarlandElectricians.com helped me become a great electrician.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.