where is the work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

patrick in Schaumburg, Illinois

96 months ago

I live in New Hampshire, and have been laid off since august, where is the boom!!!!!!1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Blackwood, New Jersey

82 months ago

wow, i thought that was only in the carpentry feild. Im in school for electric right now, i hope it isent like this once i graduate or for that matter now. I was told that theres such a high demand for electricians that it was a grat field to get into

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Disgruntled in Tampa, Florida

82 months ago

Maybe it will improve once the economy changes. Though it might get worse before it gets better. The only people I see pulling in a decent/living wage in commercial construction are those working tons of OT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rob in Berlin, Maryland

82 months ago

disgruntled in Tampa, Florida said: Gr8 question. Is anyone else being effected by the 'recession'? I was laid off for 3 months and am back to work for 5 weeks now @ 3.50 less per hour and jobs located in another city? Long drive and gas $ is a killer. There is a lot of construction but no jobs??? Noticed a lot of jobs sites have hired large groups on unskilled, hispanic workers as helpers and only keeping a few licenced journeyman to 'run' the jobs. Don't know if this is a factor...grasping at straws at this point to explain it. Few jobs that area hiring don't want to pay. I was making more in 2004 then now but everything costs more. It use to be about 15 opening for electricians in every sunday paper. Now 0...to
get a job all i had to do was show my licence/card and I was instantly hired.

i have same problems, i also think people take advantage of you when your in need of a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jack in Fresno, California

81 months ago

I am out of work because i want to be. so maney jobs no one with a licence. trick is to get the employers to pay. I don't leave the house for less than 30.00 and I work for 2 to 3 contractors and I mostly work 6 to 7 day's a week. may be you live in the wrong part of the contry or wrong trade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

bigskyec in Bozeman, Montana

79 months ago

There is lots of work in Montana. Journeyman rate is $24-27/hour plus good benifits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

F-Bomb in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

jack in Fresno, California said: I am out of work because i want to be. so maney jobs no one with a licence. trick is to get the employers to pay. I don't leave the house for less than 30.00 and I work for 2 to 3 contractors and I mostly work 6 to 7 day's a week. may be you live in the wrong part of the contry or wrong trade.

Nice spelling . . . you is smart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

pw smith in Tulsa, Oklahoma

77 months ago

come to Tulsa if you really are looking for work cant find enough with license plenty wan-ta a bee's and that's the reason employers dont want to pay top wages to many none license people, be all you can get your license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mac in Keller, Texas

77 months ago

Are you still looking for a job as an electrician?

Please call me @ (972) 337-7338

Thank you,
Mac

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cyrus in Rockymount ,NC in Snow Hill, North Carolina

77 months ago

I worked with Aggreko International and I find job enjoyable in powre generation.thou the recession ha got me off gaurd.being laid off 3 months go am still looking for another opportunities elsewhere.It realy sucks in in this economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terence Bantum in Voorhees, New Jersey

77 months ago

I have been layed off since February and am finding it very hard to find employment. I am willing at this point to travel almost anywhere. The only place I am getting any hits from are from companies overseas, which at this point I don
't know if I am willing to go. However, these opportunities are starting to look better everyday. It's hard to be the man of the house with no Job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Bonita Springs, Florida

77 months ago

I have been laid off for 2 weeks now, I have been doing electrical work for 8 years now, only problem is I have been doing service, the past two companies I applied at were looking for piece workers, I cant even find work at a restaurant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Clementon, New Jersey

77 months ago

just out of curiosity what companys deal with overseas employment. i acually want to travel. i applyed with KBR but they dont want some kid out of school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terence Bantum in Voorhees, New Jersey

77 months ago

Try these guys : jonandronelle@orcon.net.nz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa0322 in Denver, North Carolina

75 months ago

If there are any electricians looking for some temporary work in or around the Charlotte NC area then please send me a reply. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Mcpherson in Niceville, Florida

71 months ago

I need a job. Will do anything legal. (FULLTIME PLEASE) at this point I will settle for about anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lctrc789 in Cloverdale, Indiana

71 months ago

I have been an electrician since 1979 and started doing new and old homes for years. Went to commercial and then joined union in 1998 became certified and now have done almots everything.
I carry a certification and have knowledge in all fields pretty much.
I am laid off and looking for work Will talk about pay Was wroking at 31.65 an hour but will talk less if job is good and in demad and long term
Contact me at lctrc789@aol(or yahoo) Either email will work

lctrc789 in Cloverdale, Indiana

71 months ago

Melissa0322 in Denver, North Carolina said: If there are any electricians looking for some temporary work in or around the Charlotte NC area then please send me a reply. Thank you!

What type of electrical work do you have?
I have done everything from run jobs to run a a small residential business to doing what I do now. I am a certified electrician and have pretty much done all types of res, comm, and industrial work.
From installing 100 amp services to 15 KV gears. Have done service repair work for ten years and have a xast knowledge of installations and current codes.
lctrc789@aol or yahoo either email will work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

james jam in Bradenton, Florida

65 months ago

I have been out of work due to the recession and would travel a bit farther than normal however i have a motor home however i need a job. My electrical skills are of top shelf quality. Not to brag its just i have enjoyed the trade from grandfather father to me son. I have been in situations that most haven't skills service-work. site work . rough ins. chased the masons. with heavy wall ,emt imc,pvc plus my wiring abilitys is my best assets. can run jobs. or can be top leed man. have experience in single phase,3 phase even worked on old philadelphia 2 phase high & low voltage have a work van ,a car & a pick up . got all tools even air compressors and genarator hand tools drills ladders Ihave every thing except a greenley knock out set .i do have the hand ko set. i have worked for a outfit called T & H services they have been hit hit hard thru this recession. i am a loyal employee so if you hire me ,i am old school i show total respect and im never late and dont miss work. I am in a desperate situation with two daughters to raise .
The employer that hires me i wouldentnever forget it thankyou
Iam living in the Tampa bay area contact me at onecojim@tampabay.rr.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jimboa01 in Saint Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

pw smith in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: come to Tulsa if you really are looking for work cant find enough with license plenty wan-ta a bee's and that's the reason employers dont want to pay top wages to many none license people, be all you can get your license.

Is there still work in Tulsa? What's the average pay? And what are licensing requirements? Have been doing commercial for 21 years ,last 7 years have been doing allot of industrial. Been Journeyman for 17 years.

jawthiele in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

disgruntled in Tampa, Florida said: Gr8 question. Is anyone else being effected by the 'recession'? I was laid off for 3 months and am back to work for 5 weeks now @ 3.50 less per hour and jobs located in another city? Long drive and gas $ is a killer. There is a lot of construction but no jobs??? Noticed a lot of jobs sites have hired large groups on unskilled, hispanic workers as helpers and only keeping a few licenced journeyman to 'run' the jobs. Don't know if this is a factor...grasping at straws at this point to explain it. Few jobs that area hiring don't want to pay. I was making more in 2004 then now but everything costs more. It use to be about 15 opening for electricians in every sunday paper. Now 0...to
get a job all i had to do was show my licence/card and I was instantly hired.
I feel the pain much more then you. I paid for an education as an aviation technician and hold an A&P license. I had a good job, however do to this bad economy that forces companies to lay off some of their Technicians. In most cases more than half the work force. I am still looking for a job after 5 months. I can't even get a job at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or any of the auto parts stores in retail. What did this world come to? You use to go to school and get an education for a professional career with a decent pay and know can't even get a job as a box boy. They say I over qualify. This is a bunch of BS. Then the government encourages us all to go back to school to learn a new skill that will most likely be unaffordable even if you qualify for government grants and a loan that will take years to pay off. The Government should pay 100% of the schooling for those who is forced to change their career. This world is becoming a world of DOGS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lctrc789 in Mooresville, Indiana

63 months ago

I have been out of work for fourteen months I am a cerified electrician and we have so many out of work in Indiana that it is just impossible.
I have applied at small contractors and large ones.
I too have appleid at Home Depot, Lowes. and Menards NO luck
I am to qualifeid for many jobs and I have been in this trade for 29 years.
I should have been in politics I would be working and have one hell of a pension plan
I feel for those who have busted thier butts and are in the same situation.
I am working at 55% less money then I was making doing a job I hate in a small factory with no insurance and no pension or 401 K.
Yes this has hurt many folks this time around.
I am about fed up with the way things work.
Good luck to all of you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

robert in Fresno, California

62 months ago

jawthiele in Houston, Texas said: I feel the pain much more then you. I paid for an education as an aviation technician and hold an A&P license. I had a good job, however do to this bad economy that forces companies to lay off some of their Technicians. In most cases more than half the work force. I am still looking for a job after 5 months. I can't even get a job at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or any of the auto parts stores in retail. What did this world come to? You use to go to school and get an education for a professional career with a decent pay and know can't even get a job as a box boy. They say I over qualify. This is a bunch of BS. Then the government encourages us all to go back to school to learn a new skill that will most likely be unaffordable even if you qualify for government grants and a loan that will take years to pay off. The Government should pay 100% of the schooling for those who is forced to change their career. This world is becoming a world of DOGS.

Hi i have been in electrical for about 6yrs and ive been in the construction field for nearly 19yrs have seen illegals in field for 19 yrs but not this bad it is bad they wont hire you if you are not illegal or willing to work for nothing i understand we are in a depretion but why cant we get a job with a decent wage to support ourselves and our families yet they will hire all these illegals who cant spell their own name in english let alone run a wire to our homes were we reside its like terroist acts against our own country over a few dollars you watch alot of poeple will loose their lives on the account of this may god bless them........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BantumHead in Voorhees, New Jersey

62 months ago

I feel your pain. I have found myself in the same situation working in a factory where there is a whole bunch of "good ole boys" with Napoleon Complex walking around expecting you to shake in your boots because they've been there since the ressurection. High end insurance, no dental, and a crappy metal union that sleeps with the management. I pray this economy changes for all the tradesmen out there.

tcsloat in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

that why you should go union the 716 in houston has plenty of work at that all of texas electrician are mostly working

rukiddin in Jasper, Texas

61 months ago

tcsloat in Houston, Texas said: that why you should go union the 716 in houston has plenty of work at that all of texas electrician are mostly working

Days of the union are gone. Forget that. Been a master electrician in Texas since 1988 and never been, nor will be, desperate enough to go union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rukiddin in Jasper, Texas

61 months ago

lctrc789 in Cloverdale, Indiana said: I have been an electrician since 1979 and started doing new and old homes for years. Went to commercial and then joined union in 1998 became certified and now have done almots everything.
I am laid off and looking for work Will talk about pay Was wroking at 31.65 an hour but will talk less if job is good and in demad and long term

sounds like you were doing better before the union. Typical.

just me in Schertz, Texas

61 months ago

robert in Fresno, California said: Hi i have been in electrical for about 6yrs and ive been in the construction field for nearly 19yrs have seen illegals in field for 19 yrs but not this bad it is bad they wont hire you if you are not illegal or willing to work for nothing i understand we are in a depretion but why cant we get a job with a decent wage to support ourselves and our families yet they will hire all these illegals who cant spell their own name in english let alone run a wire to our homes were we reside its like terroist acts against our own country over a few dollars you watch alot of poeple will loose their lives on the account of this may god bless them........

you are right about the illegals that theres a lot of them in construction but you are wrong about they work for less ,wrong! i been working in the field as a top helper electrician since october 2005 i just got laid off last month, and i been working in the office too , taking the applications for the electricians and helpers... i have seen illegals making more money than the US cittizens. for example just a helper they be making $14 hr , and the US cittizen is making $11.00

Jared in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

just me in Schertz, Texas said: you are right about the illegals that theres a lot of them in construction but you are wrong about they work for less ,wrong! i been working in the field as a top helper electrician since october 2005 i just got laid off last month, and i been working in the office too , taking the applications for the electricians and helpers... i have seen illegals making more money than the US cittizens. for example just a helper they be making $14 hr , and the US cittizen is making $11.00

Unless the government wises up and starts offering more tax incentives for companies to hire American, the problem will only get worse. Most companies don't care if they hire illegals, as long as they can pad their bottom line. Gone are the days when American businesses looked out for their fellow brother and sister. Now anyone can come here and take jobs away. I've seen it happen in the trucking industry, health care, even the IT field.

It used to be we could speak up during election time with our vote, but as we've seen it doesn't really matter who is in office, it will be the same old situation.

hank in ace tex. in Carrollton, Texas

60 months ago

this colume has so much gloom and despair. all seem to agree on one point. all agree that america's so called leaders have sold the nation down the river. When i was in the contracting business; none of my materials, tools nor equipment was american made. Remember when th first bush worked so long and hard to get th NAFTA bill thru congress ? and clinton tried to veto it against th republican congress ? Remember when clinton left office with the national budget ballanced and 400 million in the black? Now that all industry has left with a bush blessing, and we can only buy foreign in sears, Yall are right. Th polititions have to be watched. Bush giving away americas largest military aircraft contract in history was not any help. i am not worried about the french workers. Th free hand outs to AIG and others as bear sterns collapsed, along with the stock markets, 401 K's, housing markets, millions of layoffs, all those were under bush watch. th new guy is trying everything in the world to fix the destroyed nation and he needs help in throwing out the sorry senators that profited under bush . Starting with th 2 bums from texas. Search the highly successful and profitable oil and gas industry for work. RIG ZONE is a good starting point. ASRC in alaska has work, so does ch2mhill. and they aint owned by bush buddy cheeney, or haliburton. (KBR) < and th pay is higher, so are th living accomendations. no bush war goin on in alaska. Good luck, and god bless

1Mac in Schnecksville, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Electrician looking for work in eastern pa. industrial,utility type work, wiring, conduit. Haven't seen many openings yet around here.lots of openings for maintenance people though.You have to know electrical,pneumatics,hydraulics,plc,welding. And they will gladly pay you $12 hr.

1Mac in Schnecksville, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Noticed someone is looking for electricians for a power plant near allentown,pa

gjrgibbs in Roanoke, Virginia

60 months ago

Master Electrician looking for work in Virginia, over 20 years experience, have commercial, residential, and high voltage expereince need to work for a company, owned my own business for the past 10 years, mature, dependable, honest, and high work ethic. Also have experience in supervising, scheduling, and hiring sub-contractors. Please contact me @ gjrgibbs3@cox.net. Thanks, Jack Gibbs

rjlahr in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

Dennis in Blackwood, New Jersey said: wow, i thought that was only in the carpentry feild. Im in school for electric right now, i hope it isent like this once i graduate or for that matter now. I was told that theres such a high demand for electricians that it was a grat field to get into

thats just what the school says!

Jeff Cunningham in Belmar, New Jersey

56 months ago

Has anybody tried one of these profrssional resume writing outfits?
They cost a lot of money and I'm just not sure if it helps? Please respond,
Thank You,
Jeff Cunninghan

Def contractor in Crofton, Maryland

56 months ago

here is one of the co looking for people willing to work in the war zone

kbr.myvurv.com/main/careerportal/job_list.cfm?szSearchType=Advanced&szCategory=89

spark1600 in Wilmington, Delaware

54 months ago

I have 10 weeks of work for a licensed Delaware electrician and cant find one anywhere....

Not icensed in Delaware in Poland, Indiana

54 months ago

What does it take to get license there. I am certifed in Indiana
I B E W certification

Kevin in Middletown, Delaware

39 months ago

spark1600 in Wilmington, Delaware said: I have 10 weeks of work for a licensed Delaware electrician and cant find one anywhere....

That's because people can't afford to just work for 10 weeks. We need consistency. We have families to support.

Arnold C of Los Angeles,Ca in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

I just graduated from electrician school. I applied to almost every contractor in Los Angeles but no one replied but this one electrical contractor.I'm not new to this trade but I got my experience from my country. They're asking for atleast 1 year experience. How am I gonna get that experience if no one's gonna hire me to gain experience?

I mess with Texas in Joliet, Illinois

38 months ago

hank in ace tex. in Carrollton, Texas said: this colume has so much gloom and despair. all seem to agree on one point. all agree that america's so called leaders have sold the nation down the river. When i was in the contracting business; none of my materials, tools nor equipment was american made. Remember when th first bush worked so long and hard to get th NAFTA bill thru congress ? and clinton tried to veto it against th republican congress ? Remember when clinton left office with the national budget ballanced and 400 million in the black? Now that all industry has left with a bush blessing, and we can only buy foreign in sears, Yall are right. Th polititions have to be watched. Bush giving away americas largest military aircraft contract in history was not any help. i am not worried about the french workers. Th free hand outs to AIG and others as bear sterns collapsed, along with the stock markets, 401 K's, housing markets, millions of layoffs, all those were under bush watch. th new guy is trying everything in the world to fix the destroyed nation and he needs help in throwing out the sorry senators that profited under bush . Starting with th 2 bums from texas. Search the highly successful and profitable oil and gas industry for work. RIG ZONE is a good starting point. ASRC in alaska has work, so does ch2mhill. and they aint owned by bush buddy cheeney, or haliburton. (KBR) < and th pay is higher, so are th living accomendations. no bush war goin on in alaska. Good luck, and god bless

P.S. Clinton signed NAFTA into law.

Deecee in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

lctrc789 in Cloverdale, Indiana said: I have been an electrician since 1979 and started doing new and old homes for years. Went to commercial and then joined union in 1998 became certified and now have done almots everything.

Youre unemployed because youre not hispanic.

rich d in Elmwood Park, New Jersey

30 months ago

Dennis in Blackwood, New Jersey said: wow, i thought that was only in the carpentry feild. Im in school for electric right now, i hope it isent like this once i graduate or for that matter now. I was told that theres such a high demand for electricians that it was a grat field to get into

You were lied to!

rich d in Elmwood Park, New Jersey

30 months ago

You were lied to!

cwynne in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

My husband (a Journeyman Electrician with 11 years under his belt) is going back to school for healthcare after the past 5 YEARS of struggling to maintain year round work in the electrical field. This is nothing new - the entire construction industry has been hard hit and the electrical trade is no exception. Whoever told you this would be an excellent trade to get into must have been in a coma for the past 5 years. I'm not trying to be negative, but if you have a family to support, I highly recommend getting into something non-construction related asap. There are already thousands of trade workers out there vieing for the same job you'll be chasing after. And you'll be disadvantaged because they'll have years of experience under their belts AND they'll be willing to work at a lesser hourly rate just to guarantee themselves a paycheck. Don't be fooled... It is extremely hard out there. Get your degree in something else and in 2-4 years once you've completed it, you'll be so thankful you did. Good luck!

Meagan in Austin, Texas

28 months ago

Mu hubby has been an electrician since he was a teen. Became licensed in 1993. He's always had a good job until he got laid off 2 yrs ago. We were shocked with all his experience (and mgmt experience)that he couldn't even get his foot in the door for an interview. Had to go on unemployment. Lost our home and had to move in w/ relatives. He finally found a job out here last month but he's making $10 an hour LESS than what he was with his last job in 2010.

I remember yrs ago he said the construction area was getting bad with Hispanics. He used to come home and tell me he was seeing more and more Hispanics driving company trucks while he was having to drive his own truck back and forth. Sure enough, he was told last yr by a guy that companies don't want guys like them (experienced) that they just want "illegals and tweakers".
So even if things are picking up again, don't count on getting a job. They don't want any good guys, just people who will work for minimum wage.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

19 months ago

Its nearly impossible to find an apprenticeship position despite the fact that there is a supposed serious shortage in this field. I guess if you are 18 and just out of high school perhaps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.